Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2011, 18:58   #646
BHPian
 
crazybiker46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: DXB/TRV
Posts: 585
Thanked: 267 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Spotted today the KeSRTC Titan heading from Bangalore - It has temp registered at AP.
Body Built by Antony Garage.
As usual I was driving in the opposite side, then I need to take a U turn and then drive back to chase it.
Sorry that I could not take a proper Front view - only from my RVM's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Ashley!
You spotted a AL Double Decker manufactured in Ennore/Hosur (TN), sent to Anthony Garage in Thane/Navi Mumbai (MH) coming from Bangalore (KA) in Hosur (TN) going towards TVM (KL). But why does the bus have a temp registration in AP(AP-16 which is for Vijayawada)?

The Double decker buses are going to run in trivandrum within a couple of days,just got a link of same.Infact i logged into t-bhp to check on it after reading the link

Trivandrum To Have Double-deckers In Two Days - Trivandrum News | Yentha.com
crazybiker46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 16:46   #647
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Kochi also getting double decker buses. Lower floor capacity is 39 seats and 42 in upper deck. Initial plan is Angamaly-Aroor and city service.

Also, body built by Leyland at Mumbai.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 17:06   #648
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
The Double decker buses are going to run in trivandrum within a couple of days,just got a link of same.Infact i logged into t-bhp to check on it after reading the link
Of the two buses KeSRTC has purchased, one is for Trivandrum and the other for Ernakulam.

The bus for Ernakulam has arrived here. The bus has been handed over to Aluva Regional Workshop.

Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_0020.jpg  

binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 19:50   #649
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 187
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Of the two buses KeSRTC has purchased, one is for Trivandrum and the other for Ernakulam.

The bus for Ernakulam has arrived here. The bus has been handed over to Aluva Regional Workshop.

Here is a pic:
The entire design looks so promising. But wished they had provided an LED display board too in this edition. also they could have provided an extra window in the lower deck back side so that it could have been in proportion to the upperdeck windows.(even though that area houses the staircase).
Does the driver sits in a position lower than the passenger platform? in that case does this chassis pose any connection with that of a SLF?
urzdeepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:08   #650
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,578
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

nice DD there, looks like the same chasis that BEST have with its new BS3 Double Deckers. Also no front windows on the top floor. Its a really awsome experience for front seat pax to feel the gush of wind blowing from the front windows. Seems these guys would miss it.

Last edited by fx45 : 13th February 2011 at 20:16.
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:14   #651
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Kochi also getting double decker buses. Lower floor capacity is 39 seats and 42 in upper deck. Initial plan is Angamaly-Aroor and city service.
That means no more hoardings acros the roads in this stretch? I guess the politicos will ensure that the bus is taken off the roads.

I recall several years back, there was an attempt to introduce double deckers and vestibule buses in Kochi. But the road conditions did not permit it. The buses were tacken to TVM. I feel that if anything, the traffic conditions have become worse since then.

Edit:- uzrdeepu - that is a titan chassis. Enlarge the pic - you can make it out at front, just below the driver's seat. And, fx45 - no - there IS a front wind screen on both top and bottom.

Edit 2 - are the double deckers covered by JNURRM?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 13th February 2011 at 20:20.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:24   #652
BHPian
 
AkMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 888
Thanked: 1,286 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
And, fx45 - no - there IS a front wind screen on both top and bottom.
I think what fx45 meant to say is that the front windscreen on top deck is permanently closed unlike in BEST's buses which have two openable window modules like the side windows in the front too.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:28   #653
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by urzdeepu View Post
Does the driver sits in a position lower than the passenger platform? in that case does this chassis pose any connection with that of a SLF?
From my experience in the Mumbai DDs, the driver actually sits a bit higher than the passenger cabin. Also note, that the bus has an extra door to the driver cabin, on the LHS. The driver cabin is entirely segregated from the passenger section - and this extra door is for service technicians. All in all, I am not sure if our drivers would like the idea of being "imprisoned" while on duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Also no front windows on the top floor. Its a really awsome experience for front seat pax to feel the gush of wind blowing from the front windows. Seems these guys would miss it.
Very true! I still fondly remember my first trip in a DD - way back in 1999. We traveled from Kandivali to Dadar in a double decker bus. Those services are now no more. We were the only passengers on the upper deck - in winter with all the windows open! It was a heavenly experience.

The other trip I loved is one from Kalina to Kurla, through Air India Quarters - I enjoyed peeping into the airport, and then riding with wind blowing on to my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
That means no more hoardings acros the roads in this stretch? I guess the politicos will ensure that the bus is taken off the roads.
I am not sure, but from what little I could gather, this bus is to run some where around Fort Kochi. It is to take a shorter route - not a very long route. I'll get confirmation soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
And, fx45 - no - there IS a front wind screen on both top and bottom.
fx45 was talking about openable windows on the upper deck at the front. The Mumbai DDs have openable windows at the front - passengers get air blowing on their face - its an experience indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Edit 2 - are the double deckers covered by JNURRM?
No. The Double Deckers and Vestibule bus are bought from KeSRTC's own corpus (or through loans).
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:57   #654
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 187
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Edit:- uzrdeepu - that is a titan chassis. Enlarge the pic - you can make it out at front, just below the driver's seat. And, fx45 - no - there IS a front wind screen on both top and bottom.


@ Backseatdriver - I know its a titan..but if you carefully observe, the steering wheel is not visible even in the windscreens lower level. This means the driver will be sitting in a much lower position. I could be wrong too if my eyes are playing a trick on me. Anyway that made me the question that does Titan share any relation with an SLF chassis.
urzdeepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 21:18   #655
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
From my experience in the Mumbai DDs, the driver actually sits a bit higher than the passenger cabin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urzdeepu View Post
@ Backseatdriver - I know its a titan..but if you carefully observe, the steering wheel is not visible even in the windscreens lower level. This means the driver will be sitting in a much lower position. I could be wrong too if my eyes are playing a trick on me. Anyway that made me the question that does Titan share any relation with an SLF chassis.
Ah. Now I get the question.

I am not answering that; but FYI, I have seen significant variations in steering positioning on AL chassis. Some buses has a slight tilt, some buses had a perfectly flat steering with no tilt at all, and some had steerings with extra tilt. Since this tilt was caused by the steering box mounting on the chassis, there was very little we can do to change the steering tilt. AFAIK, to day, heavy vehicles do not have collapsible steerings.

And the body builders had their own notions about comfortable driving positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I am not sure, but from what little I could gather, this bus is to run some where around Fort Kochi. It is to take a shorter route - not a very long route. I'll get confirmation soon.
How? I mean, HTH is that possible? Our buses constantly lost the tops of their name boards due to low lying tree branches at places like MG road, (EKM - between Shenoys and SRV); what is now Park Avenue - between BTH and St. Treasas, and of course, after Santa Cruz Basilica @ Fort Cochin - in front of the RDO office and the parking area in front of the Corporation office / public library there (that is where the bus stand was way back then).

Of course, ALs with tall standing TVS bodies, and extra leaves in the front did contribute to it; but where normal buses could not keep their heads high, how is a double decker going to fare?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 21:26   #656
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 187
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

on a second thought...am wrong...the steering is in normal position itself...
urzdeepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 22:12   #657
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
How? I mean, HTH is that possible? Our buses constantly lost the tops of their name boards due to low lying tree branches at places like MG road, (EKM - between Shenoys and SRV); what is now Park Avenue - between BTH and St. Treasas, and of course, after Santa Cruz Basilica @ Fort Cochin - in front of the RDO office and the parking area in front of the Corporation office / public library there (that is where the bus stand was way back then).
Precisely, the same question I had when I heard the route. I'll find out more tomorrow. Perhaps, the government plans to trim trees to let this happen - Mumbai's BEST does this on all routes that DDs operate on.

Or may be the routes were a part of somebody's dreams!

Attaching a close up picture of the front cabin. The steering wheel is the regular AshLey one - hope the instrument console is the new version. Notice the full-sized driver cabin. I am sure the wipers would be gone in a few days of run, and they'll be replaced with the regular ones. KeSRTC would also have a tough time getting windshields of this design if they end up with an accident.
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_0020tbhp.jpg  

binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 22:39   #658
BHPian
 
Jimmyjosek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 193 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

I too liked the bus so much.

Regarding the livery, this has been the standard livery of all KSRTC double deckers. The last double deckers were TR 555 and TR 666. Of this, one, TR 666 is being rebuilt at Central Works. Will operate for tourist trips and chartered trips. For those who want to peep into the past!!
Jimmyjosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 07:09   #659
BHPian
 
smashnerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 457
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

Attaching a close up picture of the front cabin. The steering wheel is the regular AshLey one - hope the instrument console is the new version. Notice the full-sized driver cabin. I am sure the wipers would be gone in a few days of run, and they'll be replaced with the regular ones. KeSRTC would also have a tough time getting windshields of this design if they end up with an accident.
What is that little gap between the two floors??
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 07:13   #660
BHPian
 
AkMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 888
Thanked: 1,286 Times
Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
What is that little gap between the two floors??
It is for ventilation, at foot level. It can be seen on the lower deck too.

Last edited by AkMar : 14th February 2011 at 07:14.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs Wind Commercial Vehicles 945 30th January 2017 12:14
Volvo City buses– redefined city commuting girishglg Commercial Vehicles 49 28th February 2016 08:56
Maintenance of Buses by various STUs girishglg Commercial Vehicles 7 16th January 2013 19:57
Buses of Contract Carriages / Tourist Buses girishglg Commercial Vehicles 11 2nd April 2012 11:18
Kerala Police does it again! Cams all over the city! jkdas Shifting gears 25 16th June 2010 22:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:17.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks