Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 16th June 2011, 23:30   #721
BHPian

Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
New look of AL Viking - SLF(source -AL in Facebook).
Attachment 559247
A good atempt by AL. The front face could have been better rather than deriving from the ibus2 displayed in Autoexpo2010. The logo should be placed on the grill, which looks nice. A 12M varient of the same could also be considered with 180Hp engine and automatic transmission for city applications.

Would this be offered to DTC for the 1000 SLF buses tender or for Lagos BRTS! Also its disappointing that AL did not participate/get orders from BMTC this time.
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 09:08   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Also its disappointing that AL did not participate/get orders from BMTC this time.
Read in newspaper that AL intentionally stayed away from the tender since it was fined for the earlier order.
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 09:16   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Was waiting for the 335E Volvo opposite ITPL to head to GR Tech Park a short while back. Was surprised to see (my first) a spanking new Corona plying the 335E route.
335E always gets the new buses!

I had a rather distant look at the bus yesterday. Is that the air-intake on top or the exhaust?

Corona makes good buses - I think their inter-city A/c sleeper buses are the best it could get. The intra-city one looks like quite match-box though.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 10:58   #724
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I had a rather distant look at the bus yesterday. Is that the air-intake on top or the exhaust?
I think so - although dont remember fully. I saw something on the rear roof that looked like a chimney.

Last edited by theMAG : 17th June 2011 at 11:05.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 11:21   #725

The corona bus which is plying in Bangalore in only the prototype bus. I hope the design at the rear end will have a change in the production buses. It is a monocoque design...
lakshmig_cbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 21:45   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think so - although dont remember fully. I saw something on the rear roof that looked like a chimney.
Saw another one today. I have a feeling the floor of these buses is not as low as the Marco Polo/Volvo. The seats appeared at quite a high level.

Also, I didn't find a rear camera mounting; wonder if it is concealed or not there altogether.

Now, I'd like someone to answer this question for me.

Why has BMTC not bothered to carry out filming for the windows of any of it's A/c buses? (A few Volvos have it, I'm sure I can count them and the Marco Polos have it). There must be 100s of Volvos with bare windows. Given the large surface area, imagine the exposure and absorption of heat. Consequently, imagine how much harder the a/c has to work to maintain the temp. Is FE or the environment of NO concern to BMTC?! They could help B'lore's climate immensely if they simply filmed all the windows. I, for one, wouldn't mind a few bucks in my ticket price if they did that. Any legal course to get BMTC to do it? I feel it's plain stupidity and indifference on BMTC's part.
Old 20th June 2011, 13:57   #727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Saw another one today. I have a feeling the floor of these buses is not as low as the Marco Polo/Volvo. The seats appeared at quite a high level.

Why has BMTC not bothered to carry out filming for the windows of any of it's A/c buses?
1. You're right about the seat height. The Corona was not a low-floor bus, but had 3 steps to the seating area.

2. I think its to do with an RTO rule that vehicles doing public transport (cabs et al.) should not have tints, ostensibly towards passenger safety. However, it does make sense for the public carriers' AC buses to have something to help their AC efficiencies.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 14:24   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. I think its to do with an RTO rule that vehicles doing public transport (cabs et al.) should not have tints, ostensibly towards passenger safety. However, it does make sense for the public carriers' AC buses to have something to help their AC efficiencies.
I don't think that could be true. There are a few 335Es and 500BMs which have tinted windows and seats with a cushion headrest.

Also, wouldn't that rule apply to inter-city Volvos too? All the Airavats I've seen or even other Volvos have tinted windows.

I've a bad feeling it is just cost cutting on BMTC's part. No tint = more a/c = more fuel = more operating cost + environment damage = public pays for it. Circle of life!
Old 20th June 2011, 21:03   #729
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think that could be true. There are a few 335Es and 500BMs which have tinted windows and seats with a cushion headrest.

I've a bad feeling it is just cost cutting on BMTC's part. No tint = more a/c = more fuel = more operating cost + environment damage = public pays for it. Circle of life!
My guess. BMTC would have left it without tinting, since it was allowing ads to appear on the volvo, which will act as tints.
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 21:08   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
My guess. BMTC would have left it without tinting, since it was allowing ads to appear on the volvo, which will act as tints.
There must be hardly 5% Volvos with ads on them.

And I remember RTO cracked on them heavily. Remember some Karnataka World Trade Fair or something that the Govt. had organized last year; during it, a lot of buses were covered with Ashoka and the CM's pics.

There was some PIL filed about it; as per some RTO rule, such ads/banners are a distraction to motorists and hence illegal. I remember Ashoka coming out with a statement saying he knew nothing about it (!) and that he'd order the banners/ads to be removed asap.
Old 21st June 2011, 00:13   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshmig_cbe View Post
The corona bus which is plying in Bangalore in only the prototype bus. I hope the design at the rear end will have a change in the production buses. It is a monocoque design...
Also wish that the driver has a separate exit door driver as well.
I really dont understand the logic of not placing a door for driver entry.
Safety/cost cutting/Value engineering no idea
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 13:35   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
And these ads hinder the view outside more than the tints. For some new comers, who identify the stops by location, such ads are a big headache.

Quote:
Also wish that the driver has a separate exit door driver as well.
I really dont understand the logic of not placing a door for driver entry.
Safety/cost cutting/Value engineering no idea
Sir, I think even the buses in europe(city buses) do not have driver side doors.

http://www.articulatedtruck.net/wp-c...des-bus-es.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-wallpaper_08_1024x768_042011.jpg  

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 21st June 2011 at 13:38.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 14:51   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
...I think even the buses in europe(city buses) do not have driver side doors.
Could this be only cost cutting or for any other benefits?
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 15:06   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Could this be only cost cutting or for any other benefits?
I guess not, rather than cost, it would be the utility factor. why do we need a seperate driver side door in a bus which has a huge front door right by the driver side. But the chennai city volvos have the driver side door. Here in Germany, the driver side(left side of the driver), many controls are placed and which would hinder, if a door has to be placed. A city bus driving at 40 odd kmph should not get involved in a accident. Well thats a different issue in india where we see volvos flying at 70kmph inside the city. Moreover, to my knowledge, even with the driver side doors, I have never seen a driver use it. Also, earlier ALL and Tatas had a huge gearbox next to the driver which would hinder the movement of driver, so they had to keep a driver side door, but these buses are automatic/rear engined, so there is no issue of lack of space.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 21st June 2011 at 15:07.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 15:14   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
rather than cost, it would be the utility factor...
I've seen drivers of MTC Volvos in Chennai, and BMTC Volvos in Bangalore, getting in and getting out through the dedicated door on the RHS. There are drivers who use the main door on the LHS too.

The controls in the Volvo 8400 City buses do not obstruct the movement of the driver in any way, whether he gets down from the seat through the LHS or the RHS. It's the same case with the RE AC buses from AL and TM.

In Kerala, there's a rule that mandates a separation between the driver and the passenger space. This definitely means a separate door for the driver.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote