Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 21st June 2011, 19:34   #736
BHPian

Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I've seen drivers of MTC Volvos in Chennai, and BMTC Volvos in Bangalore, getting in and getting out through the dedicated door on the RHS. There are drivers who use the main door on the LHS too.

The controls in the Volvo 8400 City buses do not obstruct the movement of the driver in any way, whether he gets down from the seat through the LHS or the RHS. It's the same case with the RE AC buses from AL and TM.

In Kerala, there's a rule that mandates a separation between the driver and the passenger space. This definitely means a separate door for the driver.
Sir, the controls which we have in our desi volvos are only door opening and closing. But here in Europe, there is alot more. They have the whole radio system(public addressal and radio contact, GPS) by the side of the driver. Thats a whole lot to be moved. But well, as you said, in AL or Tatas, we have the gear box and there needs to be a guard rail seperating the zone, so which inturn calls for a seperate driver side door. In volvos, already the driver area is protected by a small door.

But my question is, how is the safety factor increased in case we have a driver side door? When one cannot get out through the normal door, which is quite huge in such LF buses, then how would a driver door help? I accept a emergency exit in the middle of the bus makes sense but a driver door doesnt! Especially, after some of the buses I have seen in the beloved MTC buses, which are tied by ropes and cloth pieces, I feel its better if it had not been installed in the first place! They are more of a risk than a safety feature, given the maintenance status of our ST buses.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 21:09   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
And these ads hinder the view outside more than the tints. For some new comers, who identify the stops by location, such ads are a big headache.
Remember reading it somewhere that the ads printed on the bmtc volvo windows wont affect the see through capability for passengers as it is made specially with some perforated material. I had experienced the same once which I vaguely remember that it did not hinder my visibility.
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 21:24   #738
BHPian

How does the govt. think the following ones help in visibility? or probably I have bad eyes! I lived with these buses in bangalore for about 8months and I found these advs very annoying!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z_BPo98TPj...o+city+bus.JPG

Bus or Mobile advertisement board?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/...ba73a48873.jpg

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 21st June 2011 at 21:26.
Old 21st June 2011, 21:31   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does the govt. think the following ones help in visibility? or probably I have bad eyes! I lived with these buses in bangalore for about 8months and I found these advs very annoying!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z_BPo98TPj...o+city+bus.JPG

Bus or Mobile advertisement board?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/...ba73a48873.jpg
It doesnt do anything for the driver's visibility, they have rear view mirrors and rear cameras.
Also, they help BMTC a lot in terms of revenue.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 21:34   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
It doesnt do anything for the driver's visibility, they have rear view mirrors and rear cameras.
Also, they help BMTC a lot in terms of revenue.
When did I talk abt driver visibility!! Sir, if you read my post again, you will see that I have clearly mentioned thats its a issue for the passenger and especially a new comer to the city with least or no knowledge of the local language.

Not wanting, to create a new post iam answering your query here. Sir, asking the conductor is not a problem, if the bus is full? And not in particular, but in general, the attitude of our public, (its my opinion based on my experience) is that its not very friendly.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 21st June 2011 at 21:42.
Old 21st June 2011, 21:37   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When did I talk abt driver visibility!! Sir, if you read my post again, you will see that I have clearly mentioned thats its a issue for the passenger and especially a new comer to the city with least or no knowledge of the local language.
Sorry Sir, didn't read it properly. You can always ask the conductor to help you disembark
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 22:14   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Also wish that the driver has a separate exit door driver as well.
I really dont understand the logic of not placing a door for driver entry.
Safety/cost cutting/Value engineering no idea
Its cost cutting and it makes a lot of sense. Driver gets down only once every shift so why does he need a separate door?

Besides, you can give him a door, but due to the height he still has to jump from 4 feet which can be a safety issue.

Or maybe provide a ladder...both of which are much worse than using the regular passenger door.

Last edited by Mpower : 25th July 2011 at 17:57.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 22:37   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But my question is, how is the safety factor increased in case we have a driver side door? When one cannot get out through the normal door, which is quite huge in such LF buses, then how would a driver door help? I accept a emergency exit in the middle of the bus makes sense but a driver door doesnt! Especially, after some of the buses I have seen in the beloved MTC buses, which are tied by ropes and cloth pieces, I feel its better if it had not been installed in the first place! They are more of a risk than a safety feature, given the maintenance status of our ST buses.
OT, but This reminds me of the the bus accident few months back in Kerala (KerRTC), the driver tried to close the driver side door, and thrown out from the running bus. This accident killed i believe 2 people.
They should place a second emergency exist in place of current Driver side door.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 11:34   #744
BHPian

Default Big Connect buses

Here are two pictures of the recently launched Big Connect buses in Bangalore.

- Wind
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_3153_a.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_3158_a.jpg  

Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 12:31   #745
Senior - BHPian

These dont seem "new" buses, but repainted old ones.

What's the concept behind the Big Connect service??
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 12:59   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post

These are feeder services. BMTC has started the feeder services based on the directive of the Karnataka High Court. You can read more about it here:

Citizen Matters, Bangalore: BMTC introduces new feeder routes
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 13:07   #747
Senior - BHPian

What exactly do these Feeder buses feed??

The BMTC transport system was more of an open system, rather than a hub based system in my view. The map or article doesnt make it clear. These seem like any other routes, that dont terminate at any of the major terminii.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 13:10   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They don't seem new since they are not new. The service is new, but the buses aren't.

Quote:
Nothing. Just another shade of colour for Bangalore's buses. BMTC keeps launching such branded services once in a while, and will disappear without a trace in a couple of months.

This one in intended to connect one trunk route to the other, running through interior places. A sort of a feeder service. BMTC had launched 10 main trunk routes - called the "Big 10". These buses start off from suburban places, and terminate in the heart of the city - they run a pretty good frequency.

The Big Connect buses would connect two or more such trunk routes peripherally.

Here are some news articles on Big Connect: (Might help you understand the concept).

Link
Link
Link

The BMTC site gives more details on the Big10 concept.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 03:39   #749
Senior - BHPian

Chennai Volvo's!

Source
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-4809532568_0d764a64c1_b.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-4809521952_872d4bda28_b.jpg  

anekho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 06:53   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Chennai Volvo's!
Beautiful snaps those. The Volvos and the beatuiful background (Santhome High Road in the first snap) just compliment each other there.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote