Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 14th February 2012, 22:50   #826
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Saw the same today too. Followed it from Koramangala to Sarjapur Road. Looks like the Volvo Hybrid. Like you said, it sounded different & it had absolutely NO emissions what so ever.
Most likely they are to be Scania!
BTW, nice scoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Volvo had announced a Semi-Low floor city bus (7400 SLF??). Perhaps this could be that one as well - this was supposed to be a low cost option.
Volvo 7400 may not be a low cost option and likely to be slightly higher or in the same price band.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 14th February 2012 at 22:54.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 11:24   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Volvo 7400 may not be a low cost option and likely to be slightly higher or in the same price band.
Volvo has announced a new 7400 Semi-Low Floor City bus. I somehow do not feel that the Semi-Low Floor would be "slightly higher or in the same price band" - being an SLF, it is surely likely to be cheaper.

And, Volvo had announced earlier in 2011 that it is developing a low-cost city bus.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 22:10   #828
Senior - BHPian

Is there any update on the AL ULE that was given to BMTC for trials? I read somewhere that BMTC has returned the bus. Have they placed any orders?
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 23:18   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Is there any update on the AL ULE that was given to BMTC for trials? I read somewhere that BMTC has returned the bus. Have they placed any orders?
This is more of a user trial given by Ashok leyland like what Mercedes has done earlier. This need not generate orders.
Old 25th March 2012, 23:23   #830
BHPian

This is how BEST (one depot in particular) maintains their supposedly premium AC services:

City Buses of various STUs all over India-dsc010221.jpg

Running this bus on road is a violation of traffic rules too, as it does not have number plate at the rear (these buses have numberplate on the part that is missing). For travelling in these, BEST charges more than what NMMT does for its well maintained Volvos.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 06:34   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
This is how BEST (one depot in particular) maintains their supposedly premium AC services:
Looking at this bus and pictures of some of the other buses in Pune/Mumbai, it seems that Chennai's MTC buses are not only maintained well, but also look and feel much better.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 11:08   #832
BHPian

^^^May be because the average fleet age is less than 4 years old? After that it is scrapped (not sure it is sold).
You should see the volvo buses run by TNSTC Villupuram. They are so badly maintained and abused (for starters it is used in the highway when it is a city bus) that one would think they have been put on penance when compared to the pampering their siblings receive in neighboring states's capital.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 12:48   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
^^^May be because the average fleet age is less than 4 years old? After that it is scrapped (not sure it is sold).
You should see the volvo buses run by TNSTC Villupuram. They are so badly maintained and abused (for starters it is used in the highway when it is a city bus) that one would think they have been put on penance when compared to the pampering their siblings receive in neighboring states's capital.
Cant agree more... TNSTC's buses are so poorly maintained, across all fleet categories... Have travelled on MTC Chennai's volvos and see that they are so badly maintained compared to BMTC.. Broken glass, dirty floors are common in these volvos.... Also, TNSTC (SETC's) so called premium AC services appear so dirty and ill maintained that one would shudder to use them...

For some reason, TNSTC seems to have gotten into this habit of using city buses for highway rides.. City Volvos are used on Chennai - Trichy or Chennai - Pondicherry legs whereas Marcopolo city buses are used for Coimbatore - Palani which is over 100 kilometres !!! Not sure of the logic for this.

Having stayed / travelled extensively across TN, Kerala and Karnataka, I believe premium service buses are best maintained in Karnataka (anything upwards of Rajahamsa).. APSRTC's volvos also appear well maintained whereas their Super Luxury buses are in the same category of TN - dirty !!!
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 13:15   #834
Senior - BHPian

KSRTC(Kerala) maintains Volvo services quiet good. I think, Volvo is servicing these Buses for KSRTC as per contract.
While, the low floor Ashok Leylands are ill maintained and Bus conditions are worse: rattling and looks quiet old although they are in roads for only 2 or 3 years.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 18:41   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
For some reason, TNSTC seems to have gotten into this habit of using city buses for highway rides.. City Volvos are used on Chennai - Trichy or Chennai - Pondicherry legs whereas Marcopolo city buses are used for Coimbatore - Palani which is over 100 kilometres !!! Not sure of the logic for this.
TNSTC-Coimbatore and TNSTC-Madurai often uses their Marcopolo/AL SLFs as Special services in weekends. I have seen them running in the following routes.
1. Coimbatore-Madurai
2. Coimbatore-Pollachi/Palani
3. Coimbatore-Salem
4. Madurai-Tirupur
5. Madurai-Palani

I personally used Marcopolos in Coimbatore-Madurai, Coimbatore-Pollachi, Pollachi-Palani and Madurai-Palani routes.

Earlier TNSTC-Coimbatore ran their Marcopolo and AL SLFs in intercity routes. Later they were brought back to serve the city.

When Coimbatore and Madurai got the JNNURM SLFs, old SLFs were fitted with 3X2 seats and they started running them in Inter City routes. Thats how Villupuram got the old Volvos from MTC when MTC got new Volvo city buses.

Madurai City had around 150+ SLFs and they were splitted among all the regions that came under TNSTC-Madurai(Madurai, Dindigul, Virudhunagar, Tirunelveli and Nagercoil). Similarly Coimbatore city had around 50 SLFs and they were shared among Coimbatore, Erode and Tirupur regions of TNSTC-Coimbatore. This is one bad thing what TNSTCs did after getting JNNURM buses.
dhandapanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 11:44   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I remember KSRTC using BMTC buses (Pushpaks and normal ones) as special services during the festival seasons. I guess they needed these extra buses to clear the festival rush.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 17:19   #837
BHPian

Refurbished Bus of TNSTC-Madurai. This was rebuilt by Shakti Coach, Karur with the old chassis from TNSTC-Madurai. 1432 such buses from TNSTCs will be rebuilt.

Name:  DSC_3288.jpg
Views: 7321
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  DSC_3283.jpg
Views: 4850
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  DSC_3299.jpg
Views: 2182
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  DSC_3296.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  DSC_3290.jpg
Views: 2671
Size:  67.5 KB
dhandapanik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 19:39   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Looking at this bus and pictures of some of the other buses in Pune/Mumbai, it seems that Chennai's MTC buses are not only maintained well, but also look and feel much better.
Quote:
Cant agree more... TNSTC's buses are so poorly maintained, across all fleet categories... Have travelled on MTC Chennai's volvos and see that they are so badly maintained compared to BMTC.. Broken glass, dirty floors are common in these volvos.... Also, TNSTC (SETC's) so called premium AC services appear so dirty and ill maintained that one would shudder to use them...
Having stayed / travelled extensively across TN, Kerala and Karnataka, I believe premium service buses are best maintained in Karnataka (anything upwards of Rajahamsa).. APSRTC's volvos also appear well maintained whereas their Super Luxury buses are in the same category of TN - dirty !!!
I think arvi was comparing MTC with BEST and PMPML only and not with BMTC/KaSRTC.

But if you ask me, agreeing with you for poor maintenace(here I reserve this only for SETC as hard core poor maintenance), but for the sake of connectivity, I can very well say TNSTC as a whole is the best comparing to profit making STU's like KaSRTC/BMTC etc.

Stand at 2.00 AM in any major (including Tier II) town, you can go anywhere inside TN with just change of few buses.
Old 30th March 2012, 06:54   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Quote:

I never compared MTC to KSRTC and BMTC. By far, Karnataka and Bangalore has the best quality buses in India that are maintained superbly except in a few rare cases. But, the fares are very high too. Having been to Pune about 6 to 7 times in the last one year and having seen those PMPML buses, I still think MTC and TNSTC's buses are better. I agree with you guys on SETC though - They are HORRIBLE.
Quote:
I think arvi was comparing MTC with BEST and PMPML only and not with BMTC/KaSRTC.

But if you ask me, agreeing with you for poor maintenace(here I reserve this only for SETC as hard core poor maintenance), but for the sake of connectivity, I can very well say TNSTC as a whole is the best comparing to profit making STU's like KaSRTC/BMTC etc.

Stand at 2.00 AM in any major (including Tier II) town, you can go anywhere inside TN with just change of few buses.
You got me right Ashley. And, I can't agree more on the connectivity part of TNSTC. They are true public-servants and not profit-making entities. I would still say that MTC & TNSTC buses are adequately maintained. It is only SETC which lets us down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
Refurbished Bus of TNSTC-Madurai. This was rebuilt by Shakti Coach, Karur with the old chassis from TNSTC-Madurai. 1432 such buses from TNSTCs will be rebuilt.
That looks as good as new. I think STU's can go for this option instead of replacing their young fleet with brand-new buses. On an overall scale, this will definitely turn out to be cheaper and people would be happy to use them too. It gives them a feeling of travelling in a brand-new bus.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 10:00   #840
BHPian

Quote:

On the connectivity front still TNSTC is best. Sometimes i reach madurai by midnight 1.30 AM - 2.30 AM, still i'll get a better Night service to reach my home. I have seen people waiting in madurai to get the night service buses. Most of the cities/Towns in TN has buses till 10.30-11.30 PM. Few Tier-2 cities already started getting more night services.

Even though BMTC has got good number of fleets, they are more concerned on the profit. I have traveled to almost all parts of TN and most of the times i use buses. Before going there, i used to get the details of the buses through the fellow forum members in SSC. Every corner of the state is connected with TNSTCs with atleast 1 service. Still people of TN have trust in TNSTCs and they do support them well.

Even during the recent fare hike, i saw people understanding the real need of the fare hike and they accepted it.

Only SETC let our TNSTUs down in terms of maintenance. TNSTC/MTC are in better shape compared to SETC. There was a talk few years ago to merge the SETC depots to the respective TNSTC based on the location of the depots. Suddenly that plan was dropped. I feel its better to merge them with TNSTCs. If not, govt should provide enough funding and new buses for SETC to come out of this crisis. Present govt is trying to provide a makeover for SETC and already 473 new 12M buses are sanctioned for SETC.

Till last year SETC dont know what maintenance is. Whereas the UD and AC buses of TNSTC is in better shape and they were able to get passengers and SETC struggled to get even a single passenger in few routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post

That looks as good as new. I think STU's can go for this option instead of replacing their young fleet with brand-new buses. On an overall scale, this will definitely turn out to be cheaper and people would be happy to use them too. It gives them a feeling of travelling in a brand-new bus.
This was the idea that came out in a press release of TN CM in december and every TNSTC identified the buses that had better chassis and was planned to refurbish them with new bodies. Totally 1432 buses were selected for this process. Soon we can see more such refurbished coaches running in TN.
dhandapanik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote