Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 30th March 2012, 13:52   #841
BHPian

Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I think arvi was comparing MTC with BEST and PMPML only and not with BMTC/KaSRTC.

But if you ask me, agreeing with you for poor maintenace(here I reserve this only for SETC as hard core poor maintenance), but for the sake of connectivity, I can very well say TNSTC as a whole is the best comparing to profit making STU's like KaSRTC/BMTC etc.

Stand at 2.00 AM in any major (including Tier II) town, you can go anywhere inside TN with just change of few buses.
Totally agree.... And I should have made my reference to SETC clearer - their fleet is the worst maintained whereas TNSTC buses are not too bad (Ok they are super slow and take 4-5 hours to do a 150 km stretch).. And on connectivity, yes, TNSTC is way ahead of any RTC in India... From any corner of the state, you ll easily find buses to take you to the nearest town...

In Karnataka, whilst premium services which require advance booking are excellent, the normal inter city buses, where you need no reservations are terrible. On recent trips to Mookambika / Udupi / Kukke Subramanya, which are major places of religious interest, there was hardly any reliable KSRTC connectivity with people forced to rely on cabs or overcrowded private buses. Compare this with a Palani or Tiruvannamalai or any other place in TN which are superbly connected. Likewise, for any other city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I never compared MTC to KSRTC and BMTC. By far, Karnataka and Bangalore has the best quality buses in India that are maintained superbly except in a few rare cases. But, the fares are very high too. Having been to Pune about 6 to 7 times in the last one year and having seen those PMPML buses, I still think MTC and TNSTC's buses are better. I agree with you guys on SETC though - They are HORRIBLE.

You got me right Ashley. And, I can't agree more on the connectivity part of TNSTC. They are true public-servants and not profit-making entities. I would still say that MTC & TNSTC buses are adequately maintained. It is only SETC which lets us down.

That looks as good as new. I think STU's can go for this option instead of replacing their young fleet with brand-new buses. On an overall scale, this will definitely turn out to be cheaper and people would be happy to use them too. It gives them a feeling of travelling in a brand-new bus.
Agreed that BMTC and KSRTC fares are quite high and if you compare BMTC with MTC / TNSTC, it will appear overpriced but slowly MTC / TNSTC have also hiked fares through their so-called Deluxe buses. If you see fleet additions, most new buses are branded Deluxe (not sure what deluxe feature they have - they are equipped with the seats that are found on any BMTC bus) and these deluxe buses charge the same or more as BMTC.

Non AC Marco polos which run as normal service in blr are branded Deluxe in Chennai or Coimbatore.

On a recent trip to Chennai, I used them from Central Station to Royapettah and they charged me Rs. 12 per ticket (~7-8 kms, roughly the same as I pay on a G2 in Bangalore from Sarjapur road to Koramangala for instance)

The refurbishment of fleet looks like a good idea and the pics of the bus posted look good - certainly would cost a lot lesser than a new one. Good initiative indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
On the connectivity front still TNSTC is best.

Even though BMTC has got good number of fleets, they are more concerned on the profit.

Present govt is trying to provide a makeover for SETC and already 473 new 12M buses are sanctioned for SETC.
Agree on the first point of connectivity as I mentioned above, but on the profitability aspect, see my comments above where I see TNSTC also moving towards higher fares thru so-called deluxe buses. Infact, I was recently in Coimbatore where I saw an article in the paper which carried an article with a court ruling that replacing normal buses with Deluxe was not permissible (TNSTC CBE had replaced a few hundred buses and some one had filed a legal petition seeking reasons for the same).

On the SETC makeover, I am pessimistic.. In 2006-07 they launced a few hundred Ultra Deluxe buses and we can all see the state of the buses now. Same thing might happen to the new additions too unless there is a drastic change in their management and operating styles..
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 15:45   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
...(not sure what deluxe feature they have - they are equipped with the seats that are found on any BMTC bus) and these deluxe buses charge the same or more as BMTC...
The deluxe buses of MTC have lesser number of halts and all the buses have rear air suspension. You pay for a slightly faster trip and the small additional comfort of the air suspension.

As for the fares, the MTC had drawn flak for operating almost all new buses as Deluxe services. I'm talking about the addition of the JnNURM fleet. The recently added BS4 buses however are all ordinary services.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 16:53   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Non AC Marco polos which run as normal service in blr are branded Deluxe in Chennai or Coimbatore.
Chennai, Madurai and Coimbatore didnt get any ordinary service through JNNURM funds and all of them were SLFs. In addition to SLFs Chennai alone got Volvos. TNSTC-Coimbatore/Madurai didnt go for AC buses in their respective cities. But AC buses are sanctioned for these two cities.
Quote:
On a recent trip to Chennai, I used them from Central Station to Royapettah and they charged me Rs. 12 per ticket (~7-8 kms, roughly the same as I pay on a G2 in Bangalore from Sarjapur road to Koramangala for instance)
After the recent fare hike, there was a steep increase in SLF fares. SLF fares are not calculated as Per KM charges. They are calculated as 2*Ordinary fares+Rs.1. If they have a separate per KM fare mechanism for LSS/City Express/SLFs, then it will be really good.

Quote:
Agree on the first point of connectivity as I mentioned above, but on the profitability aspect, see my comments above where I see TNSTC also moving towards higher fares thru so-called deluxe buses. Infact, I was recently in Coimbatore where I saw an article in the paper which carried an article with a court ruling that replacing normal buses with Deluxe was not permissible (TNSTC CBE had replaced a few hundred buses and some one had filed a legal petition seeking reasons for the same).

On the SETC makeover, I am pessimistic.. In 2006-07 they launced a few hundred Ultra Deluxe buses and we can all see the state of the buses now. Same thing might happen to the new additions too unless there is a drastic change in their management and operating styles..
We saw the fare increase after 11 years. Thats the reason we are feeling that it is huge increase. If they did it periodically(say once in 2 yrs), it would have given some relief to TNSTCs too. Even this could have avoided some backdoor policies that they have done to increase the fare.

Initially, TNSTC-Coimbatore replaced all the ordinary buses with new JNNURM SLFs. People started protesting this. Later all ordinary buses were back in road. Following things are done after we got SLFs in Coimbatore.
1. All BS to BS services were converted as SLFs with some ordinary buses running in the same route.
2. Old SLFs were totally replaced with new SLFs. 50 odd such SLFs were replaced. Old SLFs were fitted with 3X2 seats and they started running them in intercity routes. Now all are distributed across different places and they are running as city ordinaries.
3. Some of the villages got a jackpot. Earlier they got one ordinary bus and now they have an option. Ordinary bus + SLFs. So people didnt protest this move and SLFs are comfortably running in CBE.
4. Now CBE got a mix of Ordinary, private city buses, City Express(New SS Body buses built by TNSTC itself) and SLFs. They operate to every corner of the city.

Madurai story is different. It is the only city(along with Kanyakumary dist) where TNSTC is a monopoly operator.
1. Before JNNURM coming into picture, Madurai had around 170 SLFs and city express, LSS and Ordinary services.
2. After JNNURM(240 buses), all 170 old SLFs were replaced with new JNNURM SLFs(in a single day all SLFs are off the road) and we got many new routes connecting almost all sub urban areas. Old SLFs were fitted with 3X2 seats and they were operated in Intercity routes for an year. This is the same what was happened to old 30 MTC volvos. After MTC got new volvos, they transferred those old 30 Volvos to TNSTC-Villupuram. They converted them and running it in intercity routes.
3. We also got the longest city bus route after getting JNNURM SLF.
4. Old SLFs were transferred to other regions under TNSTC-Madurai and are running in different places. Some of the old SLFs are still under operation in madurai city. With this transfer, Palani also got one SLF.
5. I can say ordinary buses are NIL in madurai. Either they operate them as LSS or City Express.

MTC didnt procure any SLFs in the recent years after the introduction of JNNURM SLFs. Last year it got 150 ordinary AshLey BS4s and this year they planned to add 100 more AshLey BS4s. Hope they will add more in coming years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The deluxe buses of MTC have lesser number of halts and all the buses have rear air suspension. You pay for a slightly faster trip and the small additional comfort of the air suspension.
Same is the case with deluxe buses running in Madurai, Coimbatore, Tirunelveli, Nagercoil etc.,

Quote:
As for the fares, the MTC had drawn flak for operating almost all new buses as Deluxe services. I'm talking about the addition of the JnNURM fleet. The recently added BS4 buses however are all ordinary services.
+1. All the recently added buses are ordinary buses. In the recent budget TN govt announced that they will purchase 3000 more buses. Not sure about the individual share. Waiting to see the Transport department policy note for this.
dhandapanik is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 20:39   #844
BHPian

APSRTC has recently introduced Mercedes Bens buses for inter city travel as well as city buses. Intercity buses are labelled Garuda Plus. The Garuda category vehicles are Volvo, Isuzu, Cerita/Kinglong and now the Merc buses are more premium service. So far good but I do not understand why so much money - Rs. 80 lakhs - for a base version should be spent on city buses? Tata's Marco Polo AC buses would do fine. I believe it is squandering scarce resources on luxuries. The fare is reported to be about Rs. 2.42/km.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 22:25   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
..... So far good but I do not understand why so much money - Rs. 80 lakhs - for a base version should be spent on city buses? Tata's Marco Polo AC buses would do fine. I believe it is squandering scarce resources on luxuries. The fare is reported to be about Rs. 2.42/km.
For the simple fact that, they can earn more money than earlier.
Also for Garuda plus, the fare/Km will be Rs.1.50/-
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 00:58   #846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata's Marco Polo AC buses would do fine. I believe it is squandering scarce resources on luxuries.
Please be my guest at Bangalore, and take a ride in/near the now-endangered, once abundant Tata Marcopolo AC Rattletrap-Smokestack buses. They make one hell of a ruckus, spew out thick black smoke, and are more often like sitting ducks. I know I'm talking about city buses, while the Garuda, Garuda+ et al are Inter-city buses, but it's only to give you an idea of how those buses were squandering scarce natural resources, read fuel and clean air, for nothing. Good move by BMTC to phase them out.

Or if you meant the Tata Globus AC coach, then KeSRTC had a few of them, built on the LPO1616 chassis. Most of them spent more time in the garage than on the road. All of them have now been converted to other, lower class services, for which replacement/cancellation won't be such a pain as an inter-state service.
Old 31st March 2012, 14:33   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Please be my guest at Bangalore, and take a ride in/near the now-endangered, once abundant Tata Marcopolo AC Rattletrap-Smokestack buses..
The new air conditioned ones which are doing duty in Hyderabad perform good. The deck is of different levels, I mean, it has a low floor at the exits and a raised platform at the other places. Ofcourse, I havent boarded one but the people riding in them seem to be quite comfortable.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 15:05   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Please be my guest at Bangalore, and take a ride in/near the now-endangered, once abundant Tata Marcopolo AC Rattletrap-Smokestack buses. They make one hell of a ruckus, spew out thick black smoke, and are more often like sitting ducks. I know I'm talking about city buses, while the Garuda, Garuda+ et al are Inter-city buses, but it's only to give you an idea of how those buses were squandering scarce natural resources, read fuel and clean air, for nothing. Good move by BMTC to phase them out.
+1 to the above... What an embarassment these Marco Polo AC buses are... I find myself tailing one of these most of the days as I stay on Sarjapur road and take the road upto Koramangala.. and BMTC has a few of these monsters plying on the 342 route... They absolutely choke the ring roads because of their inability to pick up speed and emit enough smoke to put a steam railway engine to shame. Thankfully most of these are getting replaced by Volvos in the above route.
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 00:46   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The new air conditioned ones which are doing duty in Hyderabad perform good. The deck is of different levels...
Almost all the buses are good when they're new. What matters is for how long do they continue to be good. Wait and watch is all I can say.

The deck is of different levels because it's a Low Floor bus, not an Ultra-Low Floor, like the Volvo 8400. It's also called E+1 setup - entry and one step to the platform
Old 1st April 2012, 14:35   #850
BHPian

So finally we get to see the new SETC 12 mts Ultra deluxe in the new chocolate paint scheme. This from the first lot of new 3000 buses promised by CM. Also the old buses whose engine and chasis were found to be worthy have been refurbished.
Driver displaying that the emergency exit!!

The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : Jayalalithaa inducts 464 buses into transport corporations
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 21:03   #851
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this Corona on route 45G to Khamakya today evening. It was sporting the new green-white colors, like some other BMTC buses.

City Buses of various STUs all over India-bmtccorona.jpg

Intresting thing - the body was built by KMS - KaSRTC /BMTC in-house body-building unit.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 21:34   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Intresting thing - the body was built by KMS - KaSRTC /BMTC in-house body-building unit.
KMS is not the KSRTC/BMTC in-house body building unit. KMS is a private company (reportedly based originally in Karur) having a manufacturing plant in Kengeri, near Bangalore.

Corona City buses are built by KMS - perhaps due to capacity constraints at Corona.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 21:39   #853
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a green colour Volvo bus yesterday at Bommanahalli Signal - Name says VAJRA but route display shows BIA service.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 21:52   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Spotted a green colour Volvo bus yesterday at Bommanahalli Signal - Name says VAJRA but route display shows BIA service.
Those are the new BS4 Volvo purchased by BMTC. They are getting 100 of these. The first few were green in colour, after which they returned to their characteristic red.

One of these:
Name:  IMG_4663.jpg
Views: 7497
Size:  207.9 KB

New BS4 buses - both colours:
Name:  IMG_4654.jpg
Views: 7008
Size:  206.8 KB
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:27   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Those are the new BS4 Volvo purchased by BMTC. They are getting 100 of these. The first few were green in color, after which they returned to their characteristic red.
Vayu Vajra buses to sport green

All Vayu Vajra buses to the airport are going green, only in color though. The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) is replacing its entire fleet of red Vayu Vajra buses with brand new Volvos with a green scheme.

K R Sreenivas, Managing Director, BMTC, told Deccan Herald that 64 new Volvo buses would replace the Vayu Vajra fleet by April-end.

The move, according to Prabhu Das, BMTC Chief Traffic Manager, is to create a brand for the Vayu Vajra buses, separate from that of the Vajra buses plying on regular routes.
According to him, the older buses will be used to augment the services within the City. The buses are part of 100 new Volvos being added to the BMTC fleet.

Looks like BMTC is segregating the Volvos for easy identification. This is indeed a good move that avoids a lot of confusion.

Volvo Airport rides / Vayu Vajras - Green
Volvo City routes / Vajras - Red
new non-AC BS4 City routes - Red
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote