Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 17th December 2012, 22:31   #931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks

Its not a Volvo. But its an old Ashok Leyland Panther (RE SLF) with a body that resembles Volvo. They used to run it as an AC bus earlier (they used to charge fares somewhat similar to Volvo).

An old picture of the bus (Photo taken in 2009)
Oh! What a copy paste.

Thanks Binai for correcting me. I noticed it in a flash and this AL nerver came in mind.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 20:37   #932
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Oh! What a copy paste.

Thanks Binai for correcting me. I noticed it in a flash and this AL nerver came in mind.
Here is the bus you saw.. (This one came in front of me this morning while I was sitting in a bus)

Name:  IMG_0476.jpg
Views: 4585
Size:  161.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0475.jpg
Views: 4949
Size:  168.6 KB
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 16:03   #933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
They have converted a few of these. I must admit, the work is top class. BMTC's Central workshop has done a work that is too un-government'ish.

Here is a shot of one of them - caught this morning near Town Hall:
Attachment 997641
I too noticed non AC marcopolos but they had the window design similar to the front engined marcopolos. Not like the one that is shown in your picture. I thought they had procured new buses, like what is present in Mysore. But did not know they were handiworks of the BMTC workshop.

What was initially positioned as a competitor for the volvo, ended up like this. Also, I feel that the problem lies in the transmission rather than the AC. The engine revvs like mad, yet the bus takes its own time to pick up speed. Does it not mean the transmission or the torque convertor is not so effective?

Compare the same to the Volvo, where engine speed and the speed of the bus raises together in each gear. Except while starting off, the volvo engine does not have to revv so hard. I think the marcopolos would have worked better with a manual transmission retrofit compared to just ripping the AC out.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 19:24   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
What was initially positioned as a competitor for the volvo, ended up like this. Also, I feel that the problem lies in the transmission rather than the AC. The engine revvs like mad, yet the bus takes its own time to pick up speed. Does it not mean the transmission or the torque convertor is not so effective?

Compare the same to the Volvo, where engine speed and the speed of the bus raises together in each gear. Except while starting off, the volvo engine does not have to revv so hard. I think the marcopolos would have worked better with a manual transmission retrofit compared to just ripping the AC out.
Very true. I too suspect the transmission than the AC for the failure. Corona buses too come with the same 160hp RE engine, with the same AC - but the transmission set-up is better and the bus makes little fuss.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 01:02   #935

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

Here is the bus you saw.. (This one came in front of me this morning while I was sitting in a bus)
That looks like Volvo to me, especially with the rear engine, I would love to hear if when it's cranked up it growles like a Volvo.
Sid-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 12:22   #936
BHPian

Recently, Vasai - Virar municipal corporation near Mumbai launched city bus services in the Vasai-Virar area. Their fleet is a bit too diverse for my liking, comprising of Eicher & Tata mini buses (built by JCBL), SML mini buses (seemingly fully built), Tata Marcopolo mini buses, Tata air suspension buses (not sure of the length, maybe around 105-11 meters), non ac Marcopolo low floor buses.

Launched in October 2012, they already have well over 20 routes pyling, all at a good frequency. Buses on almost all routes run full at any time of the day. Share rickshaws have been hit really hard by this service. Bhagirathi Trans Corpo of Mumbai is the contractor appointed for operating the services.

The real test would be maintenance of the fleet. Only time will tell whether they pass this test.

A few images:

Logo of the bus service:
City Buses of various STUs all over India-dsc_00711.jpg

Eicher mini bus in Vasai fort:
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_9824.jpg

MSRTC city bus and VVMT bus side by side in Vasai fort:
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_9831.jpg

Two Eicher buses in fort:
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_9827.jpg

Low floor Tata marcopolo bus, running on Vasai - Mulund route:
City Buses of various STUs all over India-dsc_00661.jpg

Interiors of the Marcopolo:
City Buses of various STUs all over India-dsc_00701.jpg
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 23:10   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Bhagirathi Trans Corpo of Mumbai is the contractor appointed for operating the services.
I believe Bhagirathi runs staff buses for some big companies in Mumbai. So probably maintenance should not be a problem. Totally agree, no need to use all brands of mini buses for such a small fleet size.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 00:04   #938
MHG
BHPian

I had the misfortune of spending time in a BTMC Corona bus when I was forced to use public transport due to my scooter breaking down. Here is my review:
  1. Bus looks impressive on the outside - but that's the only place its good
  2. On the inside, its much smaller than the Volvo buses.
  3. There is no rear-glass, its solid.
  4. The seats are not at all comfortable, they are similar to the standard non-ac JNNURM buses.
  5. The ticket prices is identical to Volvo
  6. Engine makes this horrible clattering noise that sounds like some road roller, or the sounds of a tipper unloading pebble stones.
  7. Engine seems underpowered compared to Volvo buses. At par with Marco Polo buses it seems.
And what's with these fraudulent stickers on newer BMTC buses saying they're are "non-polluting BS IV buses" ? I see black soot around their exhaust pipes and many of them emit visible smoke when accelerating. Just HOW can they be called "non-polluting" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
The trial run will be made on the route `500 D' from Hebbal to Banashankari, along the Outer Ring road(ORR), one of the longest routes in Bangalore, passing through the tech-hubs of the city lying off ORR, Marathahalli, KR Puram, Bellandur and Central Silk Board junction.
Actually, the route you're talking about is the '500 A' route. 500 D goes from Hebbal to Silk Board and that's it. And the longest route is one of the 600 series. Starts at Banashankari, goes through Nagarbhavi side all the way to BEL Circle, then Hebbal, then KR Puram, Marathahalli, Bellandur, Central Silk Board and then back to Banashankari. It does a clockwise trip of the entire Bangalore city through the Outer Ring Road.
MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 02:06   #939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
I had the misfortune of spending time in a BTMC Corona bus when I was forced to use public transport due to my scooter breaking down. Here is my review:
The Corona uses a 160hp Cummins engine, so you cannot expect the same power as a Volvo 8400 powered by a 290hp Deutz engine.

The rear glass is sacrificed for the cooling system or air intake for the engine.

For a product that costs only half as much as a Volvo, you shouldn't be expecting the same quality inside.

Now, for the ticket prices being equal, both the buses are air-conditioned and with full air suspension. That's all that matters for BMTC.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 08:53   #940
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
For a product that costs only half as much as a Volvo, you shouldn't be expecting the same quality inside.

Now, for the ticket prices being equal, both the buses are air-conditioned and with full air suspension. That's all that matters for BMTC.
I understand about the Corona being half the cost of a Volvo 8400 and how much money BMTC saves in the process. But going by your logic, the Marcopolo A/C buses should have had tickets priced the same as B7R. And obviously it was not the case.

Right now, thanks to the ticket prices being similar, I have seen a lot of people avoiding boarding a Corona.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 08:55   #941
BHPian

[quote=MHG;3019711]And what's with these fraudulent stickers on newer BMTC buses saying they're are "non-polluting BS IV buses" ? I see black soot around their exhaust pipes and many of them emit visible smoke when accelerating. Just HOW can they be called "non-polluting" ?

The BS4 stickers are for certification of the pollution norms in a CONTROLLED conditions as it is like for a fuel consumption cycle.
All the companies go about in boasting in meeting of Euro/ Bharat stage norms with this cycle. It is as though running a bus on a dyno with a pre-planned cycle. The manufacturer runs the ECU with this in mind and voila at the end, he is certified for the emission norms.
The real test comes when the bus makes it to the open road and real drive conditions. It is then the manufacturer tries to compliment the ECU to the real world situation. This is known as CYCLE BEATING in tech terminology. The turbo is kicked in a bit early or the ECU is remapped for air-fuel mix for the particular part of time are some of the ways to evade this. With this all the situations cannot be met and hence you see the black smoke being emitted from the vehicles in some of the cycle like initial pick up or during the mid range cycle even though the bus is certified Green.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 12:42   #942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  1. Bus looks impressive on the outside - but that's the only place its good
  2. On the inside, its much smaller than the Volvo buses.
  3. There is no rear-glass, its solid.
  4. The seats are not at all comfortable, they are similar to the standard non-ac JNNURM buses.
  5. The ticket prices is identical to Volvo
  6. Engine makes this horrible clattering noise that sounds like some road roller, or the sounds of a tipper unloading pebble stones.
  7. Engine seems underpowered compared to Volvo buses. At par with Marco Polo buses it seems.

Sometime back I was stuck behind a Corona in a signal that was on an incline. Needless to say, I was expecting to get smoked by the bus when it started off. I was on my white dio and was doing my best to get away from its back. However, when the signal turned green, it revved moderately and took off without smoke from the exhaust. The sound was similar to the marcopolo but was not that loud as the engine was not revving so high. In the same situation, a marcopolo would sound like a jet engine, deafening people behind it. To add to it it used to emit hell a lot of smoke. At least the coronas dont suffer this issue.

But it is well known and accepted, we cant compare any bus with a volvo. Period. Where did the mercedes buses go?

Another jugaad by BMTC, maybe after receiving brickbats from people over the marcopolos is that they have bent the exhaust pipe away from the rear panel to the bottom, effectively throwing the soot towards the ground. But at the same time, this kicks up dust to add to the dust created by the rear of these buses.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 17:11   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But going by your logic, the Marcopolo A/C buses should have had tickets priced the same as B7R. And obviously it was not the case.
It was never my logic. Guess you didn't get the sarcasm in my words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Another jugaad by BMTC, maybe after receiving brickbats from people over the marcopolos is that they have bent the exhaust pipe away from the rear panel to the bottom, effectively throwing the soot towards the ground. But at the same time, this kicks up dust to add to the dust created by the rear of these buses.
IIRC, the first lot of Volvo 8400s came with the muffler tip pointing straight, but the newer ones have the silencer hidden behind the bumper. Not sure if it's because of some unheard-of regulation or in the interests of the public, that they've bent the exhaust pipe to the ground in Marcopolos.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 18:38   #944
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
It was never my logic. Guess you didn't get the sarcasm in my words.
Oh sorry then. It looked like you were a staunch supporter of BMTC's ideas.
MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 13:05   #945
BHPian

Quote:
The Corona uses a 160hp Cummins engine, so you cannot expect the same power as a Volvo 8400 powered by a 290hp Deutz engine.
I had this doubt since a long time . Aren't the Volvo buses using Swedish made Volvo engines ? Deutz is a german engine manufacturer and Volvo has major shares in the company. What I heard was Deutz makes 4-8 L engines for Volvo CE [Construction Equipment] and is the sole supplier. I didn't knew that Volvo CVs were also Deutz powered.
ranjithrnath is offline   Reply With Quote