Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 8th July 2014, 18:09   #1021
BHPian

Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

What is the latest status on the JnNURM2? There were talks that the NDA govt. might scrap it! Is this valid? There has been so much talk of the JnNURM2 but I don't think the OEM's are seeing big numbers still; at least the manufacturing data till now don't look very encouraging!

Are the buses supplied by Volvo AT or MT (under JnNURM2)? Any idea how many vehicles have been bought?
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 12:03   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Many STU's have placed orders. But delivery has not yet started to many. Though there is an ambiguity about execution manufacturers are confident about the project. All manufacturers have invested heavily and scraping the project will lead to add oil to already burning CV industry. Also with the project being so ambitious personally i feel it should be executed.
Volvo is available only with AT and for that matter any premium 400mm floor bus should have AT only.
Volvo has hit the bull's eye this time ensuring exclusivity for its range making other makers like AL and TML to stay away.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 16:26   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Volvo is available only with AT and for that matter any premium 400mm floor bus should have AT only.
Volvo has hit the bull's eye this time ensuring exclusivity for its range making other makers like AL and TML to stay away.
They are using the 8400 series, correct? The website information is confusing. Under specs they mention the transmission is 6 speed auto while under components they mention ZF 6 speed MT.
http://www.volvobuses.com/bus/india/...omponents.aspx

The AT from Volvo is the Allison make, correct? Don't they offer AMT (I-Shift) for the city buses?
Old 9th July 2014, 18:40   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
They are using the 8400 series, correct? The website information is confusing. Under specs they mention the transmission is 6 speed auto while under components they mention ZF 6 speed MT.

The AT from Volvo is the Allison make, correct? Don't they offer AMT (I-Shift) for the city buses?
The website is a little incorrect since they have copied content from the 9400 page and put the same to the 8400 page. The 8400 has a six speed conventional automatic transmission.

The 9400XL(B9R) and 9400PX(B11R) come with I-shift AMT as an option and standard packages respecively.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 19:30   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Volvo city buses are 8400 and they are fitted with ZF torque converter automatic GB with Voith hydraulic retarders. These few points like retarders are making them unique and call themselves as Premium city buses. For Indian cities with limited speed these are IMHO over spec'd. But with strong lobby by Volvo now this is a part of Spec.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 10:02   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
The website has mixed up specs of the older B7R intercity bus and the 8400 city bus. I just sent them a mail pointing this out. Driving a bus in traffic with a foot operated hydraulic clutch is inhuman all city buses should compulsorily have only automatic gears. Even torque converter automatics in modern buses have almost same efficiency as manuals, as the converter functions only at startup from dead stop, and lockup occurs even in starting gear (first or second as per conditions) and remains locked up thought.

I guess torque converter automatics for city and AMT's for intercity operation will be best, as the former will have less wear and tear in the stop and go city traffic.

Quote:
Volvo city buses are 8400 and they are fitted with ZF torque converter automatic GB with Voith hydraulic retarders......................................... .................................................. ................. For Indian cities with limited speed these are IMHO over spec'd. But with strong lobby by Volvo now this is a part of Spec.
I don't think they are over specked, even the Volvos are hard pressed to achieve city traffic speed of 40kph on the flyover approaches if there is a stop or traffic has slowed just before the flyover. Tata and Leyland both go down to second gear and barely 25 kph blocking all the traffic behind them.
Same also happens on the minor grades in the city.
Section clearance is very important in city traffic management, and under powered city buses as well as three wheeler s and small pickups are the biggest culprits.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 10th July 2014 at 10:04.
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 10:27   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post

I don't think they are over specked, even the Volvos are hard pressed to achieve city traffic speed of 40kph on the flyover approaches if there is a stop or traffic has slowed just before the flyover. Tata and Leyland both go down to second gear and barely 25 kph blocking all the traffic behind them.
Same also happens on the minor grades in the city.
Section clearance is very important in city traffic management, and under powered city buses as well as three wheeler s and small pickups are the biggest culprits.

Rahul
I was referring to retarder and not on the power. Now with J2 even Tata and Leyland average speed will be increased, as it calls for minimum acceleration and 0to30 Kmph target.

And with respect to efficiency it's always AT the lowest followed by AMT And MT.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 08:12   #1028
Distinguished - BHPian

Searched the CV section but didn't find any other thread appropriate to post my doubt.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140808_080759.png
Views: 3168
Size:  597.7 KB

In the picture above, the bus in question is an APSRTC local city bus.

Off late I have been noticing two pipes coming from underneath the chassis and being left open on top (See beside the rear glass).

1) What are those pipes?

2) What is its function?

3) From where is it originating?

Not all buses have this kind of arrangement of pipes which are present in the rear so confused as to what it could be.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 09:33   #1029
Senior - BHPian

These are found in CNG buses when the tanks are chassis mounted. CNG is heavier and tends to accumulate in the under chassis area and leading to fire hazards. So these pipes helps to allow gases to escape When there is a leakage.
Ashley2 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 21:48   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1) What are those pipes?
2) What is its function?
3) From where is it originating?
Not all buses have this kind of arrangement of pipes which are present in the rear so confused as to what it could be.
Anurag,

That's a CNG powered bus. Most of the buses from Medchal, Kukatpalli, Uppal, Hakimpet and other bus depots have been fitted with CNG.

And their function, as rightly said by Ashley2
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 17:20   #1031
BHPian

NMMT has inducted some more brand new Volvos in their fleet procured under JNNURM. These new buses have improved seating. Seats was one area where Volvo was at a disadvantage over Cerita (Kinglong) buses which have extremely comfy seats. Now that too has been addressed in the new batch of volvos. Managed to catch hold of one of them at Borivali. Here are 2 pics:

Side view. Note the comfy seats. One row of seats has been reduced on the upper level to increase comfort. It seems that one row is reduced at the lower level also.

City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_09731.jpg

Customary front 3/4th view:

City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_09741.jpg

The decals for letters "JNNURM" are raised, similar to embossing. By the time I could click a pic of the decals, the bus departed.

They are supposedly planning a route from Navi mumbai to Borivali via thane.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:15   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
And with respect to efficiency it's always AT the lowest followed by AMT And MT.
I defer here. AT will be the lowest; that is agreed. For AMT & MT, it depends on the driver. A good driver will any day give you the best results with MT. But in a fleet with many drivers with different skill levels, AMT could give a better average. The AMT in Auto mode will give consistent FE immaterial of who is driving. This is one of the main advantages of AMT (apart from the comfort over MT).
Old 24th August 2014, 17:31   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Ajman, I referred only to the efficiency. Even in that also I rated MT as the best.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 12:39   #1034
BHPian

Last weekend I travelled in the new NMMT Volvo from Thane to Borivali. The buses have an 80 km/h speed limiter. Driver was cautious, perhaps he was new to Volvos. There is acres of leg room in these new Volvos, but at the cost of seating capacity.

The AC, though, was constantly changing blower speeds. Something I have not seen earlier in a Volvo. It was quite noisy at higher blower speed.

Some pics:

A Vashi bound bus at Thane station:
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_1189.jpg

As the Vashi bound bus departs, a Borivali bound bus arrives. This is my ride.
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_1193.jpg

Legroom in the bus with me seated (my height is 5 ft 11 in):
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_1196.jpg

Finally the good old Kinglong of BEST, who will be hardest hit by this new route of NMMT
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_1199.jpg
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 18:45   #1035
BHPian

hi AkMar,

You are correct in saying that the AS-700 operated by B.E.S.T will be hugely impacted by the introduction of Volvo by NMMT in this sector. I always seem to think why is B.E.S.T not ordering the Volvos or some better buses to get out of the mess created by these kinglongs.

My wife travelled on the As-461 route kinglong yesterday from Powai to Borivali and the bus never exceeded speeds of 20-30 kmph on open roads as well. B.E.S.T needs to think right and think fast on its strategy for the AC buses.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote