Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 26th April 2012, 09:23   #691
BHPian

Default Re: Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs

Clicked this pic when i went to Nagercoil last week. Rathimeena and KPN shares the same office. And there was no clash in the route names mentioned. Whether they share the same office in any other places?
Name:  DSC_3969.jpg
Views: 6658
Size:  56.9 KB
dhandapanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 09:51   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
I recently traveled by bus between Pune & Goa. I noticed that all buses(different tour operators & different make of bus/engine) are left to idle at intermediate halts and even at their starting/boarding point.
Does anyone know reason behind such practice?
well, i too had the same doubt regarding why Volvo buses are never switched off during breaks and guess what ? One funny answer that I got was, Volvo is too heavy to push start in case it doesn't get started on its own
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 10:36   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
Clicked this pic when i went to Nagercoil last week. Rathimeena and KPN shares the same office. And there was no clash in the route names mentioned. Whether they share the same office in any other places?
KPN and Rathimeena share facilities at every place. In Coimbatore, Rathimeena's buses are handled by KPN - including reservation and boarding point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
well, i too had the same doubt regarding why Volvo buses are never switched off during breaks and guess what ? One funny answer that I got was, Volvo is too heavy to push start in case it doesn't get started on its own
Volvo buses are kept on so that the AC keeps running. Given the kind of places most buses stop for break, there would be lots of passengers who remain in the bus itself.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 11:21   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Clicked this pic when i went to Nagercoil last week. Rathimeena and KPN shares the same office. And there was no clash in the route names mentioned. Whether they share the same office in any other places?..
Rathimeena and KPN shares facilities in certain areas other than Chennai - Earlier the same shed opp to CMBT was used by both and now KPN has moved their workshop to Poonamallee.
Apart from sharing the facilities, they have a non competing route agreement(orally) except AP route.
KPN serves entire south from Blore, where in Rathimeena serves East and south from Chennai.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 08:50   #695
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs

Is there anyone who remembers "East Coast Travels" or "East West Travels" Kandirickal group,Thodupuzha who were the first to introduce Air Buses(Ashok Leyland) in Our region IIRC, during 1993-1994? they stopped their Bus services long back after their earlier success.
I remember because these Buses were outstanding for the time and they started the regular Bangalore Bus services from Malanad region to Bangalore. before that, One used to go to Ernakulam for Luxury Buses to Bangalore.

moderators: if there is a thread on Historical information on old tourist bus operators exists, Please move this post to the respective thread.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 09:38   #696
BHPian

Way back in 1996, there was atleast one operator who was having services directly from Kanjirapally to Bangalore. Was it East Coast??? I remember being very surpised at that time when my friend told she used to take a direct bus after her vacations and did not have to come to Kochii!!!
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 09:51   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is the first time i'm seeing AE built 12M bus in this segment. Their previous bus is also built by AE.
Attachment 920921
AE also used to build mini-buses(that off-white colored) that used to be exported, but off late i am not seeing them anymore.

Maybe they got busy catering to private mofussil buses.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 15:56   #698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
AE also used to build mini-buses(that off-white colored) that used to be exported, but off late i am not seeing them anymore.

This is the first time I am hearing about the Export front of AE coaches.
Who were the earlier customers and when did this happen.
Usually export orders are one off and may or may not get immediate repeat orders.
Old 28th April 2012, 16:17   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Usually export orders are one off and may or may not get immediate repeat orders.
This was a few years back when i was at Pollachi. Newly build mini-bus that looked like rectangular box were parked outside AE.

Buses | Welcome to Lanka Ashok Leyland
(It looked like the viking bus in the Sri Lankan website)

There were sticker mentioning that it is meant for export.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 05:09   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more 12M AshLey bus in stage carriers segment and again this bus is also towards Palani...
I just noticed that grill designs of such body garages are better in terms of air flow, compared to those found in the Prakash and Veera designs.

Isn't the 12M more suited for cruising, rather than stop-start operation that's common with route buses? Will it not affect the performance of the bus as such, when used for such routes with lots of stops in between?
silversteed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 07:03   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I just noticed that grill designs of such body garages are better in terms of air flow, compared to those found in the Prakash and Veera designs.

Isn't the 12M more suited for cruising, rather than stop-start operation that's common with route buses? Will it not affect the performance of the bus as such, when used for such routes with lots of stops in between?
Yes, this type of air flow is always better, as it greatly reduces the ambient heat in and around engine compartment.
The one's used in Prakash and Veera are more of aesthetics rather than functional.

Initial 12M, were of that way only - more suited for highway application.
But now several changes are incorporated and price is also matched appropriately (base version alone) to suit stage carriage application.This is basically done to expand the market for 12M buses.
Watch this space in coming years, the trend of 12M buses in TN stage carriage - is picking up slowly but steadily.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 30th April 2012 at 07:05.
Old 30th April 2012, 10:16   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

Thanks for mention this. Yes i have seen those AE coaches getting exported to other countries. They looked more like Lanka Leyland Buses and are white colored buses. its becoming very hard to get any pic of them. Most of the times, the finished buses were standing inside AE unit. :(

Below one is the new Mini bus which was built by AE on Lynx platform. It is running in Madurai city. Many mini buses are back to their routes after the recent fare hike in TN.
Name:  DSC_3368.jpg
Views: 6443
Size:  71.3 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
This is the first time I am hearing about the Export front of AE coaches.
AshLey2,
i have seen those buses many times. But haven't got a chance to click any pic of them.
Old 1st May 2012, 15:54   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

Name:  578686_348260125229081_126346710753758_892391_258264150_n.jpg
Views: 3639
Size:  28.2 KB

"You people have done so much in bus designs, but why are you not changing these seats. Before the fight for placing arm in the arm rest ends, the destination arrives"

Source
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 11:35   #704
BHPian

Spotted this Ex Kallada Volvo at madurai. This is purchased by a Namakkal based operated "Dolphin" and re-registered in Namakkal.

Binai, Do you have any old pic of this bus? In which route it was running earlier?
Name:  DSC_4176.jpg
Views: 6942
Size:  51.4 KB
Old 8th May 2012, 14:45   #705
BHPian

Finally TNSTCs are going to get Volvos in this FY. Announcement came in today's budget session. Chennai-Coimbatore and Chennai-Madurai routes will get the first set of volvos in this financial year.

Source: Tamil Dailies Maalaimalar and Dinakaran.