Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 8th May 2012, 14:50   #706
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
Finally TNSTCs are going to get Volvos in this FY. Announcement came in today's budget session. Chennai-Coimbatore and Chennai-Madurai routes will get the first set of volvos in this financial year.

Source: Tamil Dailies Maalaimalar and Dinakaran.
Looks like the Volvos would be run by TNSTC rather than SETC. Hopefully they would be able to maintain them well.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 14:56   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Looks like the Volvos would be run by TNSTC rather than SETC. Hopefully they would be able to maintain them well.
Yes. Better they should give it to TNSTCs rather than SETC. We are also getting two new corporations that will be formed by dividing TNSTC-Kumbakonam and TNSTC-Villupuram. New Corporations Head offices will be there in Sri Rangam(Trichy) and Vellore.

Now our question is whether TNSTCs will go for 9400 of 9100?
dhandapanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 20:02   #708
Senior - BHPian

I feel 9400 would be more beneficial in terms of comfort and can accomodate a few extra passengers too! And moreover all new buyers are opting for multi-axle comfort these days

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 8th May 2012 at 20:06.
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 20:17   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I feel 9400 would be more beneficial in terms of comfort and can accomodate a few extra passengers too! And moreover all new buyers are opting for multi-axle comfort these days
But 9400 doesn't always means "few extra passengers". Volvo 9400 is available in 12M length, 13.8m length (9400XL) and 14.5m length (9400PX). All these buses come with the badge "9400". Since we still do not have any information on the specs of the 9100, we cannot really say the 9400 will carry extra passengers. If the 9100 is also brought out as a 12M bus, that would also carry as much passengers as a 12M 9400 can.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 06:08   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
Finally TNSTCs are going to get Volvos in this FY. Announcement came in today's budget session. Chennai-Coimbatore and Chennai-Madurai routes will get the first set of volvos in this financial year.

Source: Tamil Dailies Maalaimalar and Dinakaran.
Even I was all excited on reading this news from The Hindu. I do not really know what took the TN Govt. so long to realize that Volvos are the only way forward for inter-city road travel what with excellent roads throughout the state and burgeoning moving population. Having experienced the wonderful 'Airavat' service of KSRTC and having seen the multi-axle Volvos of states like Maharashtra, AP, Punjab, Haryana, Orissa, etc., I was totally taken aback by the way in which TNSTC (& SETC) have lagged behind in luxury inter-city travel.

As they always say, its better late than never. And its good that it is TNSTC which is going to get the Volvo buses instead of SETC. The latter would just spoil anything in its fleet within a year or two and the buses will rattle their way to glory. I also read in The Hindu that in 2012-13, it will be Madurai and Coimbatore which will get the Volvo services first followed slowly by other cities and districts in the subsequent years. I only hope that TNSTC are able to maintain a higher standard in its Volvo services.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 12:16   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Even I was all excited on reading this news from The Hindu. I do not really know what took the TN Govt. so long to realize that Volvos are the only way forward for inter-city road travel what with excellent roads throughout the state and burgeoning moving population. Having experienced the wonderful 'Airavat' service of KSRTC and having seen the multi-axle Volvos of states like Maharashtra, AP, Punjab, Haryana, Orissa, etc., I was totally taken aback by the way in which TNSTC (& SETC) have lagged behind in luxury inter-city travel.

As they always say, its better late than never. And its good that it is TNSTC which is going to get the Volvo buses instead of SETC. The latter would just spoil anything in its fleet within a year or two and the buses will rattle their way to glory. I also read in The Hindu that in 2012-13, it will be Madurai and Coimbatore which will get the Volvo services first followed slowly by other cities and districts in the subsequent years. I only hope that TNSTC are able to maintain a higher standard in its Volvo services.
Atleast they started thinking to get some Volvo buses now. We are still not sure whether these volvos will be operated by SETC/TNSTC. In a recent announcement in TN assembly they mentioned that routes that are more than 300KM will be transferred to SETC from TNSTCs. Few of the 12M AC buses of North TN based depots of SETC are already converted to 43 Seater Non AC UD buses.

The announcement also had a mention of recruiting 6000+ technical staffs. After many years we are hearing this technical staff recruitments. Hoping to see better SETC/TNSTC buses in near future.
dhandapanik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 15:41   #712
BHPian

Default Correcting the picture orientation. Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86
Even I was all excited on reading this news from The Hindu. I do not really know what took the TN Govt. so long to realize that Volvos are the only way forward for inter-city road travel what with excellent roads throughout the state and burgeoning moving population. Having experienced the wonderful 'Airavat' service of KSRTC and having seen the multi-axle Volvos of states like Maharashtra, AP, Punjab, Haryana, Orissa, etc., I was totally taken aback by the way in which TNSTC (& SETC) have lagged behind .
I am sorry to say that the condition of MSRTC is going from bad to worst. I'm attaching the pictures of their so-called luxury service 'the asiad' which is supposed to be a semi luxury service. I am actually travelling in this one right now. There Volvo.flagship service 'Shivneri' is also sailing in the same boat.
In Psu's KSRTC takes the crown.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120510_154158.JPG
Views: 3971
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120510_154214.JPG
Views: 4444
Size:  53.8 KB

So buying a premium vehicle is okay, but maintaining it is altogether a different story.
Now let the pictures speak for themselves.
Cheers.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2012 at 13:31.
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 07:56   #713
BHPian

Default Re: Alloy wheel collections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Parveen B7R
Attachment 906444
I see these buses @ Miyapur, Hyderabad. However here they are co-branded as CHARMINAR EXPRESS . Is this livery common for all Parveen buses or for Hyd route only.

Does any1 remember a Parveen bus around 8-10 years back, that had many Indian flags on its body. I think it was a Chennai Kochi service.
autotranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 22:43   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urzdeepu View Post
had a recent trip to kozhikode and took pics of some of the buses running at the Malabar area.
Digging up an old post . Just noticed that the bus in the picture is called Diya Mirza (pity he got the spelling slightly wrong )
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-dsc00424.jpg  

Old 15th May 2012, 19:13   #715
BHPian

Local buses are usually named after the family name, kids name, owners own name, wife's name or some random english word. it could be the name of the bus owner's kid. I have seen kids being named after celebs- including the surname. Personally I know a Mohammed Azharuddin from school.
funkmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 23:18   #716
BHPian

Saw this very interesting video on another forum, showing KSRTC and KeSRTC crossing flooded roads in Kerala during the monsoons. Please see
Old 20th June 2012, 22:39   #717
Senior - BHPian

Default Bus speeding @152 km speed in Kochi City?

Any idea which bus is this? [Volvo caught at Cherthalla for speeding at 152 km/hour]Name:  News0618.jpg
Views: 3012
Size:  65.3 KB
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 00:39   #718
BHPian

Default Re: Bus speeding @152 km speed in Kochi City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Any idea which bus is this? [Volvo caught at Cherthalla for speeding at 152 km/hour]Attachment 944029
I really doubt this . Volvo maximum speed in the speedo is 120 Km/ hr.

got the source pic for a reference .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...thread-98.html

Last edited by rejoycjohn : 21st June 2012 at 00:41.
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 09:13   #719
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bus speeding @152 km speed in Kochi City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
I really doubt this . Volvo maximum speed in the speedo is 120 Km/ hr.[/url]
Though the maximum speed is mentioned 120 in speedo, it used to touch the maximum. But 140-150+ seems unbelievable.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 14:34   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds

Though the maximum speed is mentioned 120 in speedo, it used to touch the maximum. But 140-150+ seems unbelievable.
Actually it is 125 kmph. It is same for single and multi axle models. And the buses do reach these speeds on speedometer. Although GPS speed would be a different story.
coriollis is offline   Reply With Quote