Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 10th March 2010, 11:37   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
One of the local daily news websites has finally managed to catch a glimpse of the KSRTC M'lore-Manipal Volvo B7RLE's

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!

Though they seem to be refurbished ones from the Mysore division, they look well-dressed" for the drive, hehe.

Hope the commuters take a liking to this service, and more of these follow in future.
+1 to that. Hope that folks use these buses and the services increase. The private ones are really maniac's on the road. During my last trip from Kundapur to Mangalore, the driver was literally inviting death at every overtaking manoeuvre. It was really scary
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 22:16   #62
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Can some one from Kerala , especially from the Kottayam side give the detail about the UFO buses ?

I really like the name of that bus service.

My ancestral place (i.e. my dad's place) is in Vandiperiyar and UFO operates 2 buses on that route.

Both run from Ernakulam to Kumily. The first is a white one with red stripes reaching Kumily at 10 - 10:15 pm, the second is a white one with black stripes following an hour or so later.They leave for Ernakulam at 1 AM and 2 AM respectively.

So these buses are definitely UFO's there.

BTW, UFO has their garage in Udayamperoor town (my mom's place), on the road from Vaikom to Tripunithura. The buses seem to be Tata 1613's and definitely have air suspension, but really bad seats (ones with thin backrests).
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 01:50   #63
BHPian

One is is operating(the second bus) via Piravom, Pala, Erattupetta, Mundakkayam, Vandiperiyar, Kumily this starts at 1723pm from kaloor bus stand.

The first one operates via Thalayolaparambu, Ettumanoor, Pala, Mundakkayam, Kumily. I think the starting time was between 1545 and 1615 not sure. This started as a non stop tourist service(contract carriage) but later on (in about a month) became a stage carriage bus.

As mentioned above they are based at Udayamperoor.

I there are couple of them operating to Calicut as contract carriage.
conjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 05:33   #64
BHPian

@ conjon - Thanks. I didn't know they used to run as contract carriages.

UFO earlier used to run a non air-suspension Tata on the Kumily route, but now use the ones with air suspension. I have seen the older teal and yellow colored ones at their garage. Don't know which route they serve nowadays.

Also these buses seem to have a functioning speed governor, as I've never seen them speeding.
Old 12th March 2010, 06:05   #65
BHPian

@ conjon - That Mubarak Super Express (based in Vandiperiyar) sure doesn't run like one.
It stops at all ordinary stops, and the driver speeds through some narrow bumpy roads. I went to Thodupuzha from Vandiperiyar once and after Kanjirappally the driver was flying.

This is quite a lucrative route for Mubarak, as the district courts for Idukki District are located at Thodupuzha, hence the bus is always full.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:54   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
I have a few links of bus operators in my site, just try if you can get something.

Bus (Yeshwanth Live)
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Try Kesineni travels. I've heard some good reviews from a friend who used to travel regularly.
Thanks everyone.. seats are available in Kesineni and Sri Kaleshwari
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 12:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
One is is operating(the second bus) via Piravom, Pala, Erattupetta, Mundakkayam, Vandiperiyar, Kumily this starts at 1723pm from kaloor bus stand.

The first one operates via Thalayolaparambu, Ettumanoor, Pala, Mundakkayam, Kumily. I think the starting time was between 1545 and 1615 not sure. This started as a non stop tourist service(contract carriage) but later on (in about a month) became a stage carriage bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
@ conjon - Thanks. I didn't know they used to run as contract carriages.

UFO earlier used to run a non air-suspension Tata on the Kumily route, but now use the ones with air suspension. .

Courtesy : Chakrapaani Orkut

As far as i know, these are the only Tata buses, running in the high range area. I have not seen UFO buses in Kottayam.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 12:45   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
As far as i know, these are the only Tata buses, running in the high range area. I have not seen UFO buses in Kottayam.
@ teamveevee - You're right, UFO's don't pass through Kottayam. Interestingly, the front overhangs on both buses differ by a large margin and the door on the black striped one is really wide (are they automatic?). The Kondody Motors Express bus from Kottayam to Kumily has automatic split doors both front and back.

KSRTC runs Tata 1512's for Fast Passenger and Town-to-Town services in that route.
Since the route is now a NH, the number of private buses running to Kumily have reduced (especially LS). Most of the private buses now goto Kattapana/Nedumkandam/Thookkupalam, diverting from the NH at Kuttikanam.

BTW, Can anyone tell me if Kumily Depot owns a Superfast or Super Express?
Old 12th March 2010, 12:52   #69
BHPian

These buses looks a bit funny to me. First time seeing such body built buses. Any idea where are these buses built.

Last edited by kadri007 : 12th March 2010 at 12:57.
kadri007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 13:17   #70
BHPian

smashnerd-Same is the case with Kondody Motors express(kottayam-kumily-koottar) starts at 0850 and always reaches kumily about 15 to 20 minutes late.

Kondody Motors have the best customer friendly service in Kottayam,idukki districts.
Their buses are driven well and well behaved.

The other four kondody companies namely Kondody's, Kondody travels(leelas executive), St.thomas(kondodickal) and Midland motors are not as customer friendly as KM.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:28   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
These buses looks a bit funny to me. First time seeing such body built buses. Any idea where are these buses built.
These designs are quite rare with their fusion of fixed windows and shutters. Where they are built remains a mystery. I'll make a wild guess and say Kondody.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:39   #72
BHPian

I think these bodies were built at Kondody Kottayam.

I think there was one UFO service operated from pathanamthitta or changanassery to malabar about 6 years back as a night service.Now its operated by st antonys.

Another one was operated for a brief period from mundakkayam to malabar as a night service, it was run by PTMS before UFO took over. Now this is operated by Shajee motors.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:50   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
smashnerd-Same is the case with Kondody Motors express(kottayam-kumily-koottar) starts at 0850 and always reaches kumily about 15 to 20 minutes late.

Kondody Motors have the best customer friendly service in Kottayam,idukki districts.
Their buses are driven well and well behaved.

The other four kondody companies namely Kondody's, Kondody travels(leelas executive), St.thomas(kondodickal) and Midland motors are not as customer friendly as KM.
Yeah, KM seems to be modernising a bit with newer buses, automatic doors (like on the Kumily Express) and getting drivers to wear seatbelts.

I once traveled on a KSTRC Venad to Vandiperiyar driven by a real smooth driver. We met the Kondody Express as it was leaving Mundakayam towards Kumily. Even though we left there 3-4 mins later, the driver of our KSRTC managed to catch the Express at Kuttikanam, doing the climb in third gear. How he managed the climb in 3rd gear is a mystery.

He then had to wait 10 mins at Peermade to let the Express through as he had arrived before time (and also to let the Kundara-Kumily Saranya to catch up)!
Old 12th March 2010, 23:15   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
to let the Kundara-Kumily Saranya to catch up
Do KSRTC buses give way to Saranya buses even now, i thought that was during the GaneshKumar era.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 13:43   #75
Senior - BHPian

UFO also has Kozhikode (or is it Kannur?) - Ernakulam night services. I guess they are contract carriages. Since they run night services, my guess is that they keep window sizes to minimum, to keep the cold wind out. In Ekm, they used to park at the fuel bunk near SN statute at Palarivattom.
Quote:
He then had to wait 10 mins at Peermade to let the Express through as he had arrived before time (and also to let the Kundara-Kumily Saranya to catch up)!
This timing business is a very tricky (and dangerous) one. Especially on long routes with little or no traffic congestion, it is impossible to find excuses for running out of time.

Once a permit is issued, the RTA (road transport authority, of which the regional transport officer is the secretary) issues a notice, showing the proposed time for the bus. Other operators can raise objection to the timings, and on some routes, even 2 minute differences can end up in litigation, even up to Supreme Court.

Once the court fight is over, the operator has to stick to the timing. I have often got into streeght fights over inability to keep times, in City service (ernakulam - that was several years back). Nowadays, they outsource such fights.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote