Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 30th June 2010, 21:19   #271
Senior - BHPian

Two things.

First, TVS guys might be annoyed that you went to PRAKASH instead of TVS for body building and might be pulling PRAKASH down

Second, PRAKASH builds so many bus bodies, that they might be taking it easy and making mistakes.

Can you speak to other PRAKASH body bus owners and see it they face the same problems?

Companies like SUTLEJ drill holes in the chassis and then mount the body on the chassis. PRAKASH used to use U bolts to fasten body onto chassis, check and see if PRAKASH has drilled holes in the chassis and mounted the body directly. I think if the holes are not drilled to the same levels on both sides the body might tilt
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 22:04   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
First, TVS guys might be annoyed that you went to PRAKASH instead of TVS for body building and might be pulling PRAKASH down
Extremely unlikely. TVS market share in that kind of bodies is minimal, even in he South.

Quote:
Second, PRAKASH builds so many bus bodies, that they might be taking it easy and making mistakes.
Dunno.

Quote:
Companies like SUTLEJ drill holes in the chassis and then mount the body on the chassis.
This is outright shocking. This will weaken the chassis. I distinctly remember a warning the owner's manual of my AL. Unfortunately, I trashed a few years back.

Quote:
PRAKASH used to use U bolts to fasten body onto chassis,
Ant that is the right way to do it; and they may also use some macking material - hard wood or MS "H" sections to mount the bodies.

Quote:
check and see if PRAKASH has drilled holes in the chassis and mounted the body directly. I think if the holes are not drilled to the same levels on both sides the body might tilt
What the....???

Please go back and have a good look at the pics of chassis posted here (and on other threads on tis forum) before making such comments.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 22:16   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
but according to TVS- our A.S.S, the chassis does not have any faults & they are blaming PRAKASH. according to them, PRAKASH has made some error in the body building & hence more weight is shifting to the left making the bus tilt a bit towards left..
Will it cause stability issues at high speeds? Especially in case of sudden braking. Dont they, ie PRAKASH offer warranty for the body?
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:05   #274
Senior - BHPian

@BackSeatDriver - I have no axe to grind here, just my 2 pence worth.

I happended to see a SUTLEJ MISSILE Bus - belonging to SRS Travels from Bangalore, there were indeed holes drilled onto the chassis to mount the body. After you expressing shock, I now want to run to Kalasipalyam (Bangalore) and check with some SUTLEJ busses parked there.

I from the bottom of my heart pray for RAJ's success. The whole thing unravelled in front of our eyes, its just that I got a little over-excited when problems kept creeping up.

I apologise, did not mean to hurt anyone. Guess I'll keep my mouth shut and just keep reading...
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:51   #275
Senior - BHPian

Arun, please see the pic below. i have circled something in red. this pic was taken in prakash. is this the U clamp you are talking about? if yes, then we may conclude that prakash do not drill holes.
Attached Thumbnails
6 Cyl. Turbo + 410 Nm Torque + 7 Wheels = ? EDIT: Pics on page 7!-181220091409.jpg  

raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:05   #276
Senior - BHPian

Raj, that is what I have in mind; but those are NOT the U clamps used for fixing the body. Those clamps seem to hold the platform for the battery.

In body building, what happens is either hard wood (teak, anjili, etc), or mild steel H section is placed on the two parallel members using U clamps. The body goes on to the H section or wood. This depends on the discreetion of the builder. Remember that additional transverse (left to right) section is placed on top of this front - to - back section, which will bear the weight of individual frame. (check the pics in a thread about body building shops somewhere in TN for pics) - you will need to enlarge the pics a lot to understand what is happening here.

If MS is used, there may or may not be further packing between the H section and chassis. (I used "macking" in my earlier post - it was a typo).

In some other thread, ashley2 had posted a circular from AL to its dealers, where some info about placing the body on chassis of SLF Viking is mentioned. I suggest you dig up that post, download the attachment, andread that part - just to understand what is recommended by AL for SLF buses. There is some mention of something special for SLF chassis, which enables direct mounting of the body frame onto the chassis. (this saves the additional height caused by packing and / or H section.

If the U clamps are loose, it will not cause tilt by itself. But, if those have come lose, and there was wooden packing between the H section and chassis, the wood may have fallen off, causing the tilt. Since there would be several U clamps along the chassis, it is next to impossible to say when one is loose. The driver will never know. But the owner will know because there will be a big hole in his pocket. The driver will keep on misjudging the vehicle's position on narrow roads, causing minor scratches, because the body would keep shifting a few centimeters. On a behemoth like a bus, running on bad roads like in Kerala, it is is not easy to realise that such body shifting is happening. Since our vehicles used to ply on the narrow (old) Thoppumpady and Thevara bridges, where two buses in opposite direction means hardly 2 inch clearence for each bus on each side, minor scratches used to be very common; but 2 scratches in 2 or 3 days means the bus would go up fur examination - loosening / breakage of the U clamps was frequent on the lousy roads.

I am posting all this detail, just to enable trouble shooting of the slight tilt problem of the bus. Adding just one leaf adds less than 2 cm to the vehicle height; so I am not sure what parameter the leaf workshop used here.

Just remember these simple facts

1. The vehicle is level below the tyres.
2. The tyres are of equal height; therefore the hubs are at equal height. Obviously, the axles ought to be parallel to the ground.
3. The leaves (ought to be) at equal height; so the chassis at the leaf level ought to be level. (make allowance for a taller front).
4. Therefore, the tilt, if any, would occur only above the chassis.

BTW, that white thing in front of the front front leaf "perch" (aha, I remember the word now!!!) seems to be the oil filter. Placed too low for easier access during servicing, presumably. And those U clamps seem to be on either side of front leaf's rear perch.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 2nd July 2010 at 19:11.
Old 2nd July 2010, 20:15   #277
Senior - BHPian

I went through the whole thread; and found these pics from this post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...042-large-.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...046-large-.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...071-large-.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...095-large-.jpg

I am very sure that a body building defect can be ruled out here. In fact, this seems more like a suspension problem; no body building defect can cause such a huge (close to 12 inches - one feet) tilt. I guess this tilt is not noticeable from the front. If there is a body problem, it would be noticeable from the side view.

You had mentioned that one of the buses buses broke down due to suspension problem - let call it bus "A". This bus had a tilt to the left when suspension suddenly failed. I take it that the tilt is on the other bus. bus "B".

Which bus had additional leaves on one side in the front?

Whatever, you may safely skip all the U clamp and other nonsense I have written in the above post; just esclate ths issue within TVS; or threaten litigation. You already have comparasion pics of both the buses.
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:47   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Arun, please see the pic below. i have circled something in red. this pic was taken in prakash. is this the U clamp you are talking about? if yes, then we may conclude that prakash do not drill holes.
Firstly, the modern day bus body fabrication is more technology oriented rather than old days wood work. Actually they do not drill holes in the chassis frame, but holes are drilled on the sub-frame brackets and it is welded to the chassis frame by filling these holes. Please see the image on the below link -

Picasa Web Albums - ar.designs - Bus India

Notice the bracket below the air bellow is welded on to the cross bar. The holes are on the bracket and not on the cross bar. Similarly the subframes are welded on the chassis during bodybuilding instead of bolting using U clamps.

Secondly, your bus is having Weveller Suspension (rubber spring) at the front. ..hence please check the same & also the front shock absorbers!
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:20   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Picasa Web Albums - ar.designs - Bus India

Notice the bracket below the air bellow is welded on to the cross bar. The holes are on the bracket and not on the cross bar. Similarly the subframes are welded on the chassis during bodybuilding instead of bolting using U clamps.

Which pic are you talking of?

Edit:- Oh well, got it - you need to be log in.

That shows mounting of an air suspension, right?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 2nd July 2010 at 22:24.
Old 4th July 2010, 15:33   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Transsenger,

The picture you have put up is that of a Low Floor AL Bus, where as Raj's buses are regular body type.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 4th July 2010 at 15:35.
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 22:23   #281
Senior - BHPian

The Low floor Chassis which you have shown have this this type chassis - the gusset been puddle welded to the main frame for additional reinforcement. But I am not sure of the normal chassis been welded this way. Plz share if you have any details.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 18:22   #282
BHPian

@r_nairtvm : i was talking about welding types and not about Raj's bus.

@ Ashley2 : i do not know the exact name of this type of welding, but have seen them in body built by the likes of ACGL etc. I will try to bring in more illustrations on this.
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 18:33   #283
Senior - BHPian

As I have mentioned these type of welding are called Puddle welding. When two metal parts are to be welded, hole is drilled in one part and placed over other and welded in the circular joinery.
Name:  LE_AL_010_Large.jpg
Views: 3240
Size:  79.5 KB
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 10:56   #284
Awaiting Email Confirmation

cpl of buses one AL on AbuDabhi - DUbai high way at a petrol pump
the other is sutlej built Akbar travels 12 m AL...Akbar has all buses built by sutlej and they look good
Attached Thumbnails
6 Cyl. Turbo + 410 Nm Torque + 7 Wheels = ? EDIT: Pics on page 7!-img00430201007201556.jpg  

Attached Images

santoshnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 11:57   #285
BANNED

the first one aint out of India dude.. i think u posted the wrong first pic by mistake
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote