Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 22:29   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KOCHI
Posts: 367
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
guys, right now i am browsing from my phone and its close to impossible to upload pics.

@ shankarbn: yea, even i am waiting to drive the beast!
@ backseatdriver: we dint go for the 130 bhp model since we are not planning for AC nor long distance trips.
@ santoshnair: the 130 bhp model in AL has car like gear lever and a better instrument console.

Congrats Raj!!! intresting thread.

Meanwhile, the 130HP model is the AL chassis fitted with H6D engine where as the one on your bus would be H6E. H6E has inline fuel injection pump and H6D has rotary FIP. And this 130Hp would not be enough for coupling a/c, Its should have above 150Hp minimum for better performance.
The bonnet gear (car type) is avaliable only on AL 12M chassis as of now. The Viking & Cheetah does not have this feature as OE fittment. The AL 12M chassis is avaliable with 180, 160 and 114Hp engines and different instrument clusters.

If possible use Radial tyres (10.00x20 size) which will help to improve the mileage and ride comfort.
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 14:08   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

hey guys, i forgot to mention that the bus does have seat belts! Its mounted on the seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Wow an amazing ownership thread. So if we need a bus for some trips in Ernakulam or Alleppey, we call you. Expecting some good discounts for being fellow tbhpians.
Thanks buddy. Let the bus get road worthy first! Its right now at the AL A.S.S. for a complete check up including fitment of the speed governer which is compulsory in kerela.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteem View Post
Aaha basil saahb I thought you will give him advance money even before starting on your tour and extra tip for being a team-bhpian Man, this is one of its kind I guess. A fellow says he is buying a bus and another one pops up and gives him loads of quality advices! I don't know where else can we find such a forum. Three cheers to the spirit of my favourite team
Now he is a good man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Congrats Raj!!! intresting thread.

Meanwhile, the 130HP model is the AL chassis fitted with H6D engine where as the one on your bus would be H6E. H6E has inline fuel injection pump and H6D has rotary FIP. And this 130Hp would not be enough for coupling a/c, Its should have above 150Hp minimum for better performance.
The bonnet gear (car type) is avaliable only on AL 12M chassis as of now. The Viking & Cheetah does not have this feature as OE fittment. The AL 12M chassis is avaliable with 180, 160 and 114Hp engines and different instrument clusters.

If possible use Radial tyres (10.00x20 size) which will help to improve the mileage and ride comfort.
Hey, the viking chassis does have the bonnet gear lever and better instrument cluster. I saw many lying in prakash but it was not the 117 bhp model like ours, it was either 130 bhp or 170 bhp, i'll check and confirm.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 17:07   #63
BHPian
 
kingofmyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad / pensylvania.
Posts: 788
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures. Where are the pictures raj?
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 17:31   #64
BHPian
 
SAE40 in veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 219
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I am just back from a trip to Purakkad and I saw at least one "sindu" bus which was not AL. Err.. emmm.. I did not really notice, but they did not look like AL.
Sindu atleast a couple of years back had only ALLs for tourist operations, They also do have a start stop city service which may use Tatas.

btw Sky Arch in Ambalapuzha is one of the first owners of the 12m Tata 160 hp bus bought second hand from somewhere. The proprietor Mr Ani Vijayan is pretty knowledgeable in buses and trucks and loves to experiment.
SAE40 in veins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 17:44   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Hi,

Congratulations! May I wish you 'Sarva Aishwarya' for the new venture? I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
including fitment of the speed governer which is compulsory in kerela.
You have, maybe inadvertantly, hit the nail on the head. "Fitting' is compulsory, apparently 'working' is not from what I see on the roads.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 18:30   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Congrats Raj!!! intresting thread.

Meanwhile, the 130HP model is the AL chassis fitted with H6D engine where as the one on your bus would be H6E. H6E has inline fuel injection pump and H6D has rotary FIP. And this 130Hp would not be enough for coupling a/c, Its should have above 150Hp minimum for better performance.
The bonnet gear (car type) is avaliable only on AL 12M chassis as of now. The Viking & Cheetah does not have this feature as OE fittment. The AL 12M chassis is avaliable with 180, 160 and 114Hp engines and different instrument clusters.

If possible use Radial tyres (10.00x20 size) which will help to improve the mileage and ride comfort.
Hey Raj, First of all I would like to convey my sincere wishes and congratulations for your new Travels . I know I am bit late but sorry that I could not reply in time.

Right now 12M buses are avl in 112BHP - 14" four finger clutch.
163 BHP - 14" four finger clutch - direct AC drive
177 BHP - 15" four finger Clutch - direct AC drive - Electromagnetic retardation
203 BHP - 15" four finger clutch - direct drive AC - Electromagnetic retardation.
All are avl with 10 R 20 radial tyres.
The Instrument cluster being common and its modified by body builder only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
hey grt pics just one query is there a reason why some AL buses still have the old gear the rod shaping out rather than some of the buses i hv seen which is very similar to a Car where the gear handle juts out of the engine with a nice gear cover and very smooth to handle....can some one explain ...just out of curiosity?

Its only because of customer feed back its been kept as a direct operating lever form gear box.
For your Information none of the trucks ( all Ecomets, 2516,3516,4019,4921 etc) sold by ALL right now has this gear position. All the GSL ( Gear Shift lever) are through bonet as in the case of cars.
Even their steering wheel is smaller dia 20" compared to the bigger 26" in buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
there are some new buses frm AL in bombay which have the front wheels which look slightly different, more like the AL Viking SLF buses used by BEST, their length of the chasis also looks similar to viking SLF? Considering the one which you bought is also a viking, i really dont get the front wheel style of your vehicle and the ones which i am mentioning about.
for reference.. see this picture.. credit to the photog

BEST JNnurm Ashok Leyland Viking SLF BS III CNG on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I am not sure what differance you are mentioning. But all ALL buses ( Viking (both E+2 - SLF and E+3), Cheetah, 12M are coming with same 6T MDV frt axles made by ALL.There should be no differance.

[quote=BaCkSeAtDrIVeR;1685272]Airbags are not compulsory on heavy vehicles, AFAIK. In fact, manufacturers did not provide even power steering till it was made compulsory by law.



There is something called OLWAH.

Our Lord, Who Art in Heaven.

Seriously, safety of heavy vehicles (and risks posed by them) is an ignored aspect. Just look at the safety features offered in various heavy vehicles outside and within India.


I believe power steering is not mandated in trucks as Ecomets are still made with manual steering as option.
Some info on Safety in Heavy Vehicles as mandated by ARAI.
- Seat belts are mandated.
- ABS in mandated in all Tractor Trailors from APril 2008.
- All the models with cabin are tested for Front Crash Test and they are equipped with internal bull bars to protect driver and co driver in cabin.
- FUPD, SUPD, RUPD in all models.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th January 2010 at 23:16. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 22:49   #67
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hey guys, i forgot to mention that the bus does have seat belts! Its mounted on the seats.



.

Congarts Raj, Its interesting to read this thread

where have u ordered the seats for your busses from ?
motor spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 22:55   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KOCHI
Posts: 367
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I am not sure what differance you are mentioning. But all ALL buses ( Viking (both E+2 - SLF and E+3), Cheetah, 12M are coming with same 6T MDV frt axles made by ALL.There should be no differance.
AFAIK, there is some difference about the wheel..."wheel Disc" to be precise. As Ashley2 said the front axles may be same, but the Viking SLF(BEST) and 12M may have different wheel disc unlike normal viking or cheetah.
The profile of the wheel disc is different, the number of wheel bolts is more and the air vent shape/number will be different. This wheel disc will be similar to the one found on AL multiaxle trucks. This is due to the change in brake drum profile. The brake liner contact area will be more in this case (assume). I believe VikingSLF, 12M comes under 16ton GVW category with higher power engines unlike normal viking/cheetah (9.00x20 tyres) which is 15ton.
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 00:58   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

Raj, congrats on the AL beast. I remember my childhood days when I used to hate Ashok Leyland simply because of their weird front and loved Tata. But this bus is surely turning out to be good.
In North, we've Tata more than AL and I once asked the reason for this to the Transport Manager of my school. He replied that Maintenance of Tata is much easier considering easy availability of mechanics and cheap parts.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 11:04   #70
BHPian
 
eagle_bush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 125
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Pics Pics Pics!!!
I have been following this thread to see the final product!

Btw, How much difference (in total) would it be, if it was the 130bhp chassis along with A.C ?
eagle_bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 14:17   #71
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGalore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Me too, Pictures please. Am waiting for them.
Sujith1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 15:10   #72
BHPian
 
Speed-Gladiator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore, Tiruvalla
Posts: 79
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Raj, Congragulations for your all new 7 wheels.

This is one of the rare topic I have come across. Looking forward to see the Team BHP stickers on a bus! All the best to your travels.
I still couldn't believe that the heavy buses are running with 112 BHP. I gained lot of information by following this thread. Did u get any chance to take any other pictures while the building was going on? Waiting for the pictures to come.
Speed-Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 22:06   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
AFAIK, there is some difference about the wheel..."wheel Disc" to be precise. As Ashley2 said the front axles may be same, but the Viking SLF(BEST) and 12M may have different wheel disc unlike normal viking or cheetah.
The profile of the wheel disc is different, the number of wheel bolts is more and the air vent shape/number will be different. This wheel disc will be similar to the one found on AL multiaxle trucks. This is due to the change in brake drum profile. The brake liner contact area will be more in this case (assume). I believe VikingSLF, 12M comes under 16ton GVW category with higher power engines unlike normal viking/cheetah (9.00x20 tyres) which is 15ton.
I would like to confirm that there is no differance in the front axles between Viking ( no matter its SLF or normal) and 12 M wrt wheel discs and no of bolts.
If you wish to speak about wheel discs alone they are even common between front and rear axles and also between buses and trucks in MDV segment except very few models like ULE and some export models.
The differance in ULE's are because, as they come with auto transmissions so they are provided with bigger air vents and a larger brake drums.

Viking and Cheetah are available with both 14 PR and 16 PR tyres as options. When they are shot with 16 PR tyres they come under MDV segment with 16200 GVW.

Lynx and Stag are buses in LCV and ICV segment resp and they are having a smaller discs with reduced no of bolts also, 6 and 8 to be specific.

Hope I have helped Trans!!
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 22:56   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KOCHI
Posts: 367
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I would like to confirm that there is no differance in the front axles between Viking ( no matter its SLF or normal) and 12 M wrt wheel discs and no of bolts.
If you wish to speak about wheel discs alone they are even common between front and rear axles and also between buses and trucks in MDV segment except very few models like ULE and some export models.
The differance in ULE's are because, as they come with auto transmissions so they are provided with bigger air vents and a larger brake drums.
Viking and Cheetah are available with both 14 PR and 16 PR tyres as options. When they are shot with 16 PR tyres they come under MDV segment with 16200 GVW.
Lynx and Stag are buses in LCV and ICV segment resp and they are having a smaller discs with reduced no of bolts also, 6 and 8 to be specific.
Hope I have helped Trans!!
@Ashley2, with all due respect, here are some facts!

1. I never said "Front Axles" are different! As you said, it may be same.
2. I told about "Wheel disc" (RIM). And that too about 12M / VikingSLF vs. Viking / Cheetah. (not front & rear axles)
3. I dont find any reason whatsoever to relate automatic transmission and wheel disc. The wheel disc design purely depends on capacity of axle(load), brake system(carrier assy. / disc brake), engine power etc.
4. Its not the PR rating of tyre that decides tonnage(GVW). But tyre size. AL Viking & Cheetah are avaliable with either 9.00x20 14PR(as MDV) or 10.00x20 16PR(as HCV) tyres sizes. Whereas ULE, Titan etc has 11.00x20 tyres.
5. Now, take a look at the pictures below...i hope my point is clear!
Attached Thumbnails
6 Cyl. Turbo + 410 Nm Torque + 7 Wheels = ? EDIT: Pics on page 7!-copy-al-vslf-lhs1.jpg  

Attached Images
  
Transsenger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 02:35   #75
BHPian
 
gold class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 90
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Hey Raj, saw two of your buses standing near Incoming Checkpost at Chavadi ,CBE,wednesday midnight. There was stickering on the front glass AISWARYA.The painting also looks good. I was on my way to bangalore. couldnt stop there. Any way good luck.
gold class is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 Honda Accord 4 cyl idling issues! aditya.86 Technical Stuff 10 21st June 2011 20:32
Hyundai's new Kappa 1.0, 3-cyl engine: Will it come to India? Mpower The Indian Car Scene 4 25th January 2011 22:18
Hyundai i10 facelift EDIT: Pic on Page 7, Brochure on page 18 Simhi The Indian Car Scene 451 21st December 2010 16:05
Ambassador with a 4.5 Liter, 6 cyl FORD engine!! n_aditya Modifications & Accessories 70 7th November 2009 08:07
A New type of engine -> NEVIS Engine, 2x Fuel Economy, 2 Stroke 2 Cyl 1000 cc 250hp 1Day Technical Stuff 16 2nd January 2009 18:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks