Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 26th June 2010, 11:14   #106
Senior - BHPian

The STAG comes with 7.50 wheels while the LYNX comes with 8.25 wheels. The ECOMET range is also shod with 8.25 wheels.

ASHOK LEYLAND earlier had a CARGO 709 which used to come with 7.50 wheels. It was a 3 ton payload vehicle. Could it be that the CARGO 709 is still plodding on as the STAG while for economies of scale ASHOK LEYLAND have the same chassis aggregates between the 2 ECOMETS?

Also, I'm trying to put myself in Raj's shoes and analyse as to whether the LYNX or the STAG would be better for a 30 seater Passenger vehicle.

STAG:
  • Small size so more mileage
  • Better manouverability
  • Narrower width hence 4 seats in a row is a squeeze
  • Since smaller, less respect on the Highways
LYNX
  • The real deal VIKING minus the flab
  • Almost as wide as VIKING and so comfortable seating for 4 in a row
  • Marginally less mileage than VIKING
  • If body is built that way it will look like a VIKING
Net-net I'm extremely confused. Guess I'll have to wait and see how Raj's 'adventure' pans out.

Last edited by TheARUN : 26th June 2010 at 11:24. Reason: Additional text
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 18:19   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
STAG:
  • Small size so more mileage
  • Better manouverability
  • Narrower width hence 4 seats in a row is a squeeze
  • Since smaller, less respect on the Highways
LYNX
  • The real deal VIKING minus the flab
  • Almost as wide as VIKING and so comfortable seating for 4 in a row
  • Marginally less mileage than VIKING
  • If body is built that way it will look like a VIKING
Net-net I'm extremely confused. Guess I'll have to wait and see how Raj's 'adventure' pans out.
thanks for the comparo buddy.

ideally, the points marked in bold are of utmost importance to bus owners. quite honestly, we have to give priority to our profits more than a passenger's comfort (not on the cost of safety or maintenance though) or else we will be out of this business soon!

even though i would love to customize my bus to ensure the greatest passenger comfort possible in terms of better seats, leg space, etc & also better entertainment systems, in the real world nobody is really bothered about the seating or space as long as the "other" bus operator is offering them a bus for a lesser fare, even though that bus is a battered 6 year old one!

so to survive, we do have to look for better mileage (even if its marginal) & reliability or else we make lesser profits & may even lose out on business.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 26th June 2010 at 18:24.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 17:44   #108
Senior - BHPian

Guys, thanks for all support. Our new mini bus was finally delivered yesterday.

the bus is a AL Stag, body built by Sisira, Kalady. They have done a commendable job. i can further comment on its build quality only after 6-7 months. initial impressions are good though. Our only requirement was that the bus should be a clone of the 49 seater buses we have. This one is a 29 seater non-AC.

Some grouses:
1) Lighting on the exteriors & interiors have gone over the top IMO. they claim its necessary in kerela!
2) the ladder they have given to climb to the roof is useless.

However, the music system of the bus was done by Mr. Dhanesh Verma (recommended by sisira itself) who has done an awesome job. i am totally impressed with the ICE... err, IBE!

More details & videos of the ICE here.

the only additonal accessory is Automatic opening of door & bonnet (air operated) & laser lights.

Pics below-
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0278.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0279.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0300.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0301.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0303.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0304.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0316.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0317.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0318.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0322.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0323.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0325.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0326.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0327.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0328.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0330.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0331.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0333.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0335.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0336.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0349.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0354.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-dsc_0355.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 13th August 2010 at 17:52.
Old 13th August 2010, 18:25   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

the bus is a AL Stag, body built by Sisira, Kalady. They have done a commendable job. i can further comment on its build quality only after 6-7 months. initial impressions are good though. Our only requirement was that the bus should be a clone of the 49 seater buses we have. This one is a 29 seater non-AC.

Some grouses:
1) Lighting on the exteriors & interiors have gone over the top IMO. they claim its necessary in kerela!

However, the music system of the bus was done by Mr. Dhanesh Verma (recommended by sisira itself) who has done an awesome job. i am totally impressed with the ICE... err, IBE!

the only additonal accessory is Automatic opening of door & bonnet (air operated) & laser lights.

Pics below-
Congratulations Raj, the brand signature colours on the are very nice.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 19:28   #110
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Raj.
your garage looks awesome with ur Viking and Stag.
Surprisingly Stag looks extremely "ditto" to your Vikings. Only head lamps will be a bigger differance I believe.
My wishes for your pleasant ownership.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 21:43   #111
Senior - BHPian

What is that tower bolt doing in the dash panel. Is it an AL fitment or the body builder's creation?
Better replace with some state-of-art stuff.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 22:22   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Congratulations Raj, the brand signature colours on the are very nice.
thanks a lot, credit for the logo goes to my elder brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Excellent Raj.
your garage looks awesome with ur Viking and Stag.
Surprisingly Stag looks extremely "ditto" to your Vikings. Only head lamps will be a bigger differance I believe.
My wishes for your pleasant ownership.
i asked for the headlights in the stag too, but since the width is less, the safari headlights cannot be accommodated in this as that would make the grille too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
What is that tower bolt doing in the dash panel. Is it an AL fitment or the body builder's creation?
Better replace with some state-of-art stuff.
its the body builder's creation! some of the things in the driver's cabin is crude, even with the Prakash's buses. cant help it actually.

whatever we car enthusiasts think, buses are not built with the finesse, quality & finishing like we see on cars.
Old 14th August 2010, 01:09   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Some grouses:

Pics below-
Good to see your AL "family". The Stag looks great. But Ifeel the front grille could've been made better. And the factory fitted bonnet would look better, instead of the present one. Just my opinion...
The IBE looks awesome. Hope it really is. Would love to get a feel of it one day.
Once again, congrats on the new kid in the block. Wish u many more miles of smiles
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 10:27   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Good to see your AL "family". The Stag looks great. But Ifeel the front grille could've been made better. And the factory fitted bonnet would look better, instead of the present one. Just my opinion...
The IBE looks awesome. Hope it really is. Would love to get a feel of it one day.
Once again, congrats on the new kid in the block. Wish u many more miles of smiles
thanks for the suggestions buddy. the grille is kept similar to the bigger buses as i wanted all the buses to look similar, hence the same paint & graphics too.

factory fitted bonnet? it was just a simple black cover which would not have matched the bus' interiors.

The IBE is one thing i really wanted to be good this time. It felt better than what i had expected & hence i am planning to call the same installer to spruce up the other bigger buses too. infact when our buses were standing outside the RTO for check-up, two different installers had a look at the IBE & praised the quality & finishing of the installer's work. in short, i am happy with it.

Anyways, some flaws we noticed in the bus:
1) because of the white protection rod installed over the bonnet, the bonnet cannot be raised! thats a serious flaw but can be easily rectified at a local garage.
2) no hand rails are provided. we need to get that fitted.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th August 2010 at 10:35.
Old 14th August 2010, 16:31   #115
BHPian

aha..atlast the stag is out...thanks for the pics buddy and i have to say that sisira body is making some high ditto to the prakash ones especially when looked from the back...surprising is that(dont know if its due to the angle of the pic) all the buses in the last pics looks almost of the same dimensions...

btw congrats Raj...
urzdeepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 19:30   #116
Senior - BHPian

yes, the height of the stag is similar to the vikings.
Old 14th August 2010, 22:39   #117
BHPian

Congrats raj! Except the prakash logo, it is very difficult to make out which bus is the stag from the rear I hope you have a good experience with the bus.

But I have a query. The ladders to climb roof of the stag & Viking appear very similar in the pics. Then why is it useless on the stag? Have been following your Viking thread too, but I do not recollect any mention of ladders there.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 00:01   #118
Senior - BHPian

Hi!!!

The last pic reminds me of a "kuttiyana" beside its parents. lol.

I am afraid the reddish piece of rexine on the seats is going to be a dirt grabber. You may have been better off using a dark shade; probaly one that matches other upholstery; rather than a contrasting colour.

The dash is AL or built by the body builder? Have seen the commented in earlier posts, but cannot make out.

What happened to the a/c idea? Your initial posts in the thread suggested that you were going for an a/c bus?

What is the suspension?

What is there in the tool box apart from the jack, wheel spanner and jack-lever?

And finally, what is the OTR cost? And mileage ethra? (do I need to translate that?)
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 08:45   #119
BHPian

Hai Raj,

Congrats...and best wishes for your "big small bus" ! I am sure the Stag will be the star performer of the lot...

And for your information, AL has launched new BS3 STAG (4900mm WB), a 40 seater chassis with OE fitted power steering and another BS3 Lynx (4900mm WB) 50 seater chassis.
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 11:11   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Congrats raj! Except the prakash logo, it is very difficult to make out which bus is the stag from the rear I hope you have a good experience with the bus.

But I have a query. The ladders to climb roof of the stag & Viking appear very similar in the pics. Then why is it useless on the stag? Have been following your Viking thread too, but I do not recollect any mention of ladders there.
the lower part of the ladder is stowed in the boot.

in Prakash's buses, the lower part has a hook at one end so that it can be joined with the upper part & the cleaner can use it to climb to the roof. but in Sisira's bus, it has no such hooks.

Also, in prakash's buses, the lower part has rubber bushings on one end of the ladder so that it can be placed on the bus body without damaging the paint. even that is missing in Sisira's bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Hi!!!

The last pic reminds me of a "kuttiyana" beside its parents. lol.
the Stag gets my special affection since its small & reminds me of a baby in front of the vikings!

Quote:
I am afraid the reddish piece of rexine on the seats is going to be a dirt grabber. You may have been better off using a dark shade; probaly one that matches other upholstery; rather than a contrasting colour.
its not rexine. its art leather. so even if its stained, it can be easily wiped off with water & cloth.

Quote:
The dash is AL or built by the body builder? Have seen the commented in earlier posts, but cannot make out.
the body builder- sisira. the instrument console is AL.

Quote:
What happened to the a/c idea? Your initial posts in the thread suggested that you were going for an a/c bus?
90% of the enquiries we got was for a non-AC mini bus. so we dropped the AC out of the list. but our next bus for sure is an AC one & we are planning whether to buy a 17 seater tempo traveller or a stag again, since the stag can seat 19-25 with pushback seats.

Quote:
What is the suspension?
its not air suspension nor weveller.

Quote:
What is there in the tool box apart from the jack, wheel spanner and jack-lever?
we are yet to buy the tool kit.

we are buying a similar one like we bought for the vikings. a complete spanner set, screw drivers, etc.

apart from that, other things like mats, ropes, mops, buckets, etc!

Quote:
And finally, what is the OTR cost? And mileage ethra? (do I need to translate that?)
we have till now not checked the mileage, but expecting atleast 6 kmpl as the vikings give 4 kmpl.

oh, did i mention, i drove this bus & the feeling was exhilarating. the engine is damn torquey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Hai Raj,

Congrats...and best wishes for your "big small bus" ! I am sure the Stag will be the star performer of the lot...
thanks a lot. i am sure (even the drivers say) that maintainence & issues will be a lot lesser in the stag than the vikings.

Quote:
And for your information, AL has launched new BS3 STAG (4900mm WB), a 40 seater chassis with OE fitted power steering and another BS3 Lynx (4900mm WB) 50 seater chassis.
thanks for the info. i dont understand why kerelites prefer stag over lynx especially since the lynx has more seating capacity.