Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2016, 10:29   #556
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 765
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The loco is not restricted to 100 due to the gearing,if that's what you meant.
You are right, the loco speed is limited by the ability of the generator, traction motors and the gearing. And most of the locos in no-load condition are capable of higher speeds than their rated max speed with a typical load. Sometimes I reply in haste

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
If you see the rated speed of a Wdp4 class loco and the recent speed record it broke with the Talgo coaches, it was well over its rated speed and from what I heard, they are looking at breaking the 200 Kmh mark with the same class loco.
The WDP4 which hauled the Talgo coaches went upto 180km/h during the test run. That was one of the Siemens locos (traction system provider) and am happy to have worked on those
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 11:04   #557
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 221
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

An interesting knowledge sharing on speeds of locomotives and their limits going on. Thought of sharing something I know.

Yesterday, I visited our Railway Station just for passing time, spotting a diesel locomotive of the WDM / WDG 3 series, etc. Luckily I could spot a WDM 3D towing a mixed freight carriage. As expected, it chugged out beautifully

I had a chance to speak with a section engineer upon the newly sanctioned 3rd line between Bhusawal to Jalgaon. Speed limit on this line is 110 kph.

As per him, Speed limit on a section is imposed mainly due to the quality of tracks, i.e. weight per metre. On our standard broad gauges, it is generally 52 kg, 60 kg and now 90 kg (high speed trains), as well as speed limit of coaches. Like our car tyres, a rail too, has a 'tread life'. The rail has to be replaced due to wear and corrosion.

All the locomotives in the arsenal of the Indian Railways as of today, are capable of doing speeds of 140 kph. A locomotive made for goods train, can be used to haul a passenger train. However a locomotive made for passenger trains, cannot haul a goods train.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 11:10   #558
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,077
Thanked: 2,196 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
A locomotive made for goods train, can be used to haul a passenger train. However a locomotive made for passenger trains, cannot haul a goods train.
In India, even that happens , as a one off case.
Not loaded definitely.


Last edited by tharian : 1st August 2016 at 11:32.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 00:31   #559
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 43
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

One of my more abstract pics

Name:  Overhead.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  82.6 KB

Not sure if this lovely video from DLW Varanasi has been shared here showing the origin of WDG 5 Bheem.


Last edited by ampere : 2nd August 2016 at 06:58. Reason: Back to back posts merged
vikasshu is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:53   #560
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,721
Thanked: 1,296 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Not sure if this lovely video from DLW Varanasi has been shared here showing the origin of WDG 5 Bheem.
A good video of a bad product.

How can people at DLW and/or RDSO ignore basics like the length of the engine which reduces visibility, its awkward looking cabin, and most of all, the absence of a WC in the toilet?

And yes, I am yet to see any of them in service four years after their "production ready" claim.

I love IR, but cannot turn a blind eye to their glaring mistakes and omissions.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:21   #561
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 43
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

Mod note: Post edited. Removing Font tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
A good video of a bad product.

How can people at DLW and/or RDSO ignore basics like the length of the engine which reduces visibility, its awkward looking cabin, and most of all, the absence of a WC in the toilet?

And yes, I am yet to see any of them in service four years after their "production ready" claim.

I love IR, but cannot turn a blind eye to their glaring mistakes and omissions.
Devdath Sir, it looks DLW is awakening though lately. I think as Indians, ergonomics generally takes a back seat. It is only in recent years we hear more of this word.

WC toilet should become a standard feature soon for EMD locos. The first loco with this feature should be out by now.

Railway Pics-wdg-toilet.jpg

"First WDG4D HHP locomotive No. 70486 fitted with vacuum based toilet system is under manufacture at DLW and is likely to be rolled-out in March-2016."

http://www.dlw.indianrailways.gov.in...%20English.pdf

I feel WDG 5 is still better than previous lot with many new additions from comfort perspective of the pilots but still a long way to go. Though the numbers produced so far is dismal.

Also, not sure why they can't add another cabin at the other end like WDG 4d? What issues it creates.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd August 2016 at 14:26. Reason: Removing Font tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Thanks.
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:45   #562
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,721
Thanked: 1,296 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
WC toilet should become a standard feature soon for EMD locos. The first loco with this feature should be out by now.
This is finally good news and must be retrofitted in all the possible locos. With general population increasing by leaps and bounds around rail tracks, loco pilots find it increasingly difficult without a toilet. Also, with ideas like clean tracks due to Swachch Bharat, a toilet is anyway a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Also, not sure why they can't add another cabin at the other end like WDG 4d? What issues it creates.
The WDG5 had imported cabs and is hence indeed a better option for ergonomics, space and ride as well.

Adding a cabin increases the cost of the loco, that is the only negative which keeps IR/DLW away from doing it. The CLW, on the other hand has been better in this aspect.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 13:28   #563
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 221
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

As per a news item in our local newspaper, the Indian Railways is working on double lining the now single line tracks, and their subsequent electrification. It is also stated that the diesel locomotives shall be completely replaced by electric locomotives, which would save a lot of diesel fuel as well as an amount of a magnitude as high as Re 18,000 crore per annum.

Question : Is operating electric locomotives, a good idea?
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 15:00   #564
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,945
Thanked: 1,876 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
As per a news item in our local newspaper, the Indian Railways is working on double lining the now single line tracks, and their subsequent electrification. It is also stated that the diesel locomotives shall be completely replaced by electric locomotives, which would save a lot of diesel fuel as well as an amount of a magnitude as high as Re 18,000 crore per annum.

Question : Is operating electric locomotives, a good idea?
Its a very good idea. let me explain. Lets consider the following points
a) Cost of operations: What is the point of running a diesel locomotive on electrified tracks? The cost of electrification is already sunk in, the tracks and the overhead equipment is ready, yet diesel locomotives continue to run under wires. IMO this is criminal negligence, possible only in government organizations like railways.
b) Pollution: A diesel locomotive running from Mumbai CST to the countryside is continuously blowing out polluting smoke all across Mumbai, even when electric traction is available. I agree that electricity for railways may come from thermal power plants, but they can be replaced by Hydro electric or in future nuclear power plants as needed. Also the place of pollution, the thermal plant is far off from the city hence pollution in our cities is negligible using electric traction.
c) Economic costs: For generating electricity we use renewable energy (water, sunlight or wind), perpetual energy (nuclear) or coal which India has in abundance. Diesel engines use diesel which is an imported fuel, we don't even produce and costs precious foreign exchange.
I believe this dieselisation started under the extremely corrupt and foolish 'chaara ghotala' railway minister who caused immense damage to the railways with his bumpkin like policies. Its time that this mess is cleaned up.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 16:18   #565
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,077
Thanked: 2,196 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

Visited Yelahanka railway station last weekend after many years. Recently the line from Bangalore City to Gooty was commissioned for electric traction use.

I was in luck as a empty tanker rake headed by twin WAG7 came in as soon as I reached. This was made to wait as there was back to back departures from Yeshwantpur and City stations due to pass YNK.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-img_20160813_142746.jpg  

Railway Pics-img_20160813_143731.jpg  

Railway Pics-img_20160813_143750.jpg  

Railway Pics-img_20160813_150400.jpg  

Railway Pics-img_20160813_1553382.jpg  

tharian is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 16:20   #566
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I believe this dieselisation started under the extremely corrupt and foolish 'chaara ghotala' railway minister who caused immense damage to the railways with his bumpkin like policies. Its time that this mess is cleaned up.
I agree with your justifications on replacing the diesel locomotives with electric ones.

AFAIK, IR has plans for electrification and it has been working on the plans in phases, even before ghotala ministers. Electrification will always take place in phases considering the resources and funds.

In India, when we plan for 100% electrification, we have to match the total electricity demand (including the industry and domestic demand) with the total generation. So the electrification also goes hand in hand with new power generation capacity.

Even in countries like USA, there is no 100% electrification and they have many routes which run on diesel. I am saying this from the train videos seen on the youtube. I wonder why a rich country like USA has not done 100% electrification so far.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 16:31   #567
BHPian
 
Prodigyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 202
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I agree with your justifications on replacing the diesel locomotives with electric ones.

AFAIK, IR has plans for electrification and it has been working on the plans in phases, even before ghotala ministers. Electrification will always take place in phases considering the resources and funds.

In India, when we plan for 100% electrification, we have to match the total electricity demand (including the industry and domestic demand) with the total generation. So the electrification also goes hand in hand with new power generation capacity.

Even in countries like USA, there is no 100% electrification and they have many routes which run on diesel. I am saying this from the train videos seen on the youtube. I wonder why a rich country like USA has not done 100% electrification so far.
I am in the rail industry & am involved in selling electrics & mechanicals of various locomotives & EMU's to IR.

The US runs primarily on diesel locomotives due to its sheer size. Electrification of tracks involves a huge expense, for the want of bringing Electricity to the remote parts of the country. For the same reason, India too is lacking on electrification as getting electricity to reach on the remotest part of our deserts / hills is not very feasible and involves a very big cost.

Add to it, the technological progress made by companies like GE & EMD in the diesel locomotive technology is so huge, that running costs too are very comparable now for the latest 6000 HP locomotives which GE is slated to produce from Marhowra.

As things stand currently, IR has been producing approximately 50-75 Diesel locomotives more than the Electric Locomotives in the past 2-3 years. These Diesel Locomotives are primarily the WDG / WDP4D locomotives produced in Varanasi. It thus seems unlikely that IR is in a great hurry for electrification & justifiably so
Prodigyy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 16:46   #568
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
As things stand currently, IR has been producing approximately 50-75 Diesel locomotives more than the Electric Locomotives in the past 2-3 years. These Diesel Locomotives are primarily the WDG / WDP4D locomotives produced in Varanasi. It thus seems unlikely that IR is in a great hurry for electrification & justifiably so
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Glad to know that the fans will get to see some diesel locomotives in future always.

Are the new Diesel locomotives produced only in WDG4 / WDP4 class and not WDM3 class?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 17:04   #569
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,139
Thanked: 7,901 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

The Beast

Railway Pics-camerazoom20160815105413497edit_lr.jpg
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 17:11   #570
BHPian
 
Prodigyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 202
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Glad to know that the fans will get to see some diesel locomotives in future always.

Are the new Diesel locomotives produced only in WDG4 / WDP4 class and not WDM3 class?
WDM3 are being produced sparingly to the tune of about 10-15 per annum and they too are for Non Railway customers, thus being used primarily for shunting purposes.

WDM3 / WDG3 locomotives are actively being refurbished though at DMW, Patiala.
Prodigyy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VIP Car Parking at New Delhi railway station - Rs40 per hour Bubby Street Experiences 22 22nd June 2015 22:39
'Xing'ing around ! - A Long walk, Monsoon, Leeches, Wildlife & Railway History... hotstuff Travelogues 42 4th August 2010 14:27
How to go from Jayanagar to Krishnarajapuram Railway Station? Nikhilb2008 Route / Travel Queries 20 7th July 2010 15:59
Engine Specs of Railway Locomotives ? pratheesh Commercial Vehicles 6 18th March 2010 23:44
FYI - Call Taxi Package: Gurgaon to Airport/Railway station: Rs 375+toll! phamilyman Street Experiences 1 12th July 2008 04:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks