Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 12th March 2010, 15:39   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somu_john View Post
How did you manage to get in lucky guy, was the driver known to you?

The first two lines are real - That it. - You just have to ask. Never knew him, never saw him again. Thats the beauty of it. Also, showing loads of enthusism for all their stuff also helps.
no_sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 12:16   #17
BHPian

Here is a video I took. It is from an electric loco though.

I would prefer not to reveal the details for confidentiality (yes, the drivers CAN face action if his bosses catch unauthorised people in the cab). I would only say that this has been done on a trunk route.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 04:50   #18
BHPian

I am so lucky to read this post. I am 28 years old and always wanted to take a ride like that, never fulfilled :( you are lucky my friend. I loved the pics and the report.

Thank you so much.
ron_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 10:53   #19
BHPian

Lucky you no_sweat.

Once got a chance to just do a 1 km ride in an engine between 2 parking stops at khandala station way back in the late eighties. But hardly understood on any technicalities back then.

Bought back old memories. Thanks. Great report.
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 20:38   #20
BHPian

Some Indian Rlys commonly used Loco engine's classification, that I know of.
1. WDM Stands for Wide (Broad Guage) Diesel (Of course, what it is running on) Multiple (Meaning can haul passenger as well as Goods),
2. likewise WAM- Wide AC traction (Overhead Electric powered) and Multiple,
3. WAM- Wide AC Traction Multiple
4. WAP- Wide AC current Passenger Haul
5. WAG- Wide AC Traction Goods
6. WDG- Wide Diesel Goods
7. WDS- Wide Diesel Shunting (used only for shunting of bogies)
8. WCM- Wide DC Traction Multiple, most of the lines use AC traction only these days.
They are also WCAM meaning they can run on both AC & DC traction
That might give an idea on how they are classified..
Also some one earlier mentioned about Diesel-Eletric.
Indian Rlys does not run Diesel-Electric, the power generated from Diesel Engines are directly used to Haul..
cogentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 22:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogentr View Post
Some Indian Rlys commonly used Loco engine's classification, that I know of.
1. WDM Stands for Wide (Broad Guage) Diesel (Of course, what it is running on) Multiple (Meaning can haul passenger as well as Goods),
A Small correction here: M stands for Mixed, and not Multiple. Multiple in railway parlance means more than one locomotive making up a consist. Its common to see Double and Triple locos being used simultaneously to work heavy freights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogentr View Post
Also some one earlier mentioned about Diesel-Eletric.
Indian Rlys does not run Diesel-Electric, the power generated from Diesel Engines are directly used to Haul..
Indian Railways locos are indeed Diesel-Electric locos! The diesel "engine" generates electricity, which is in turn fed into motors, which move the locomotive forward. So they are indeed Diesel-Electric.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 02:36   #22
BHPian

@ Binai
Apologies for the wrong info.. I was under the impression that they are Diesel only, did some research after you had brought it up and thanks for that.
and yeah Mixed, intended it but ended up saying Multiple.
cogentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 09:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
@no_sweat: Oh Yes! I am a huge fan of Indian Railways and if any one else is you should definitely visit the IR fan site irfca.org
You will be surprised at the info and the passion of members there for IR.
Completely agree. IRFCA is a huge site with lots of info on anything that moves on rails.
I think those folk refer to themselves as "RailNuts" just like most of the people here call themselves "Petrol / Diesel / motor heads".
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 21:27   #24
BHPian

Default Locomotives

Folks, those interested in these beasts can see the bigger world class ones by searching for WDG4 & WDP4 in google images. These are the latest (now almost 10 years old) 4000hp locomotives (technology from GM/USA) and currently being built at DLW/Varanasi. However the speed potential given in one of the earlier posts for the WDM2 locomotive should actually read 121kmph. The WDP4 has a speed potential of 160kmph and actually hauled the fastest train in india between mudgaon and roha on the konkan railway by covering 442 kms in 3 1/2 hours.

Incidently these newer ones have 16 cyl (would you believe it) 2 stroke technology and hence the high pitched whine when the WDG4/WDP4 notches...

happy dieseling

atul

Last edited by ATUL SINGH : 25th July 2010 at 21:28. Reason: Missed info
ATUL SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 07:20   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
... snip
Incidently these newer ones have 16 cyl (would you believe it) 2 stroke technology and hence the high pitched whine when the WDG4/WDP4 notches...

happy dieseling

atul
Additional information for the one of us who are wondering about the '2 stroke' technology in diesel engines... it is in fact much more efficient in a diesel than a gas burning (petrol) engine and a much better performer (performance-wise) than a similar 4 -stroke diesel engine.
HowStuffWorks is always your friend > HowStuffWorks "How Diesel Two-Stroke Engines Work"

btw, long time lurker, first time poster... I usually hang about in the commercial vehicles threads... currently very interested in the new Aishwarya buses of one of our fellow-bhp-ians! Good Luck in your venture!!
crazymech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 12:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Here is a video I took. It is from an electric loco though.
I would only say that this has been done on a trunk route.
I can contribute a driver's view from a diesel locomotive but using an HO scale model railway.

I videotaped it, a few days ago, using a micro-camera fitted on a wagon in the South Bay Historical Railway Museum layout in Santa Clara, California. The single wagon was pushed by (a model of) GE dash 8-40CW locomotive.
askssh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 01:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Indian Railways locos are indeed Diesel-Electric locos! The diesel "engine" generates electricity, which is in turn fed into motors, which move the locomotive forward. So they are indeed Diesel-Electric.
You are right! thats why 25KV sign are sometime there on the engine.

BTW indian railway do earn by passengers. Goods carriage was indeed revolutionized by Lalu. But trucking biz are a great competitor.

here is simple calculations.
On a trip of about 900 kms from AHmedabad to Delhi a Rajdhani earns about Rs. 11,86800/- Though its always full i am just assuming 80% occupancy. and this fare does not include food cost.

Now a WDM2 drinks about 7litres every kms. Idling at stations can be a passe as Rajdhani stops very little at stations.
It drinks 6300 Liters of diesel which @ Rs.40 costs about 2.52 lacs. The generator van will drink diesel worth 55k in 12 hours.
Now do the math.

Last edited by SirAlec : 7th October 2010 at 01:16.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 10:33   #28
BHPian

But you have not calculated the overhead. For running the Rajdhani it requires 2 A+ class drivers (at the highest paygrade). And then operating staff; the controller who makes sure that the train is running on time and is given precedence over other trains;the sub ordinate staff who implement his orders;the wayside stations (Station Master, ASM, pointsmen) who clear them as per orders from controller; the TTE who checks the ticket; the catering guys who needs a cut of the ticketing cost for providing meals ; the maintenance staff for the coaches and the locomotive ; the gang men who inspect every inch of track to be fit for operation.
Most operations in railways involve manual labor and is a huge overhead for running a train. Also, please note that out of the 80% load factor a huge percentage (first class) is by non-revenue load. When was the last time you saw a neta (and his chamcha's) or an elite government servant paying for his tickets?
Also, revenue from running elite trains are used to subsidize second class season passes and running trains in non-revenue earning lines.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 13:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
The 25kV signs on Diesel Locomotives are intended to warn the people who might climb over the loco in electrified sections. The older generations of ALCos have a faulty Water Level indication system, and Assistant LPs require to climb over the loco to check radiator water level. The warning is intended to remind ALPs in electrified sections that they should not climb on top of the loco.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 18:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

BTW indian railway do earn by passengers. Goods carriage was indeed revolutionized by Lalu. But trucking biz are a great competitor.

here is simple calculations.
On a trip of about 900 kms from AHmedabad to Delhi a Rajdhani earns about Rs. 11,86800/- Though its always full i am just assuming 80% occupancy. and this fare does not include food cost.

Now a WDM2 drinks about 7litres every kms. Idling at stations can be a passe as Rajdhani stops very little at stations.
It drinks 6300 Liters of diesel which @ Rs.40 costs about 2.52 lacs. The generator van will drink diesel worth 55k in 12 hours.
Now do the math.

The IR earns more in freight than in passenger business.If you took at the rail budget 2009,you will come to know that the 62% of the revenue was earned through freight.This is because the freight can carry huge amount of goods and are longer than the usual passenger trains.They can have upto 47 rakes compared to the max 24 in case of passengers.

Also currently no Rajdhani uses a WDM-2.In electrified sections they usually get a WAP-7 or rarely WAP-4 and in diesel section they get a minimum WDM-3a.The diesel consumption of WDM-3a is significantly higher than WDM-2 and in case of Electrics like WAP-7,its even more.The difference is its measured in KWH in case of the electric locos.Every electric loco has a electric meter just like the ones in our house to calculate the electricity drawn from the 25KV overhead for a trip

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 9th October 2010 at 18:43.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote