Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 19th March 2010, 11:40   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Me thinks Tata is one of the rare companies that can make a cheap vehicle look cute. First the Nano, now the Iris! Honestly, I don't think this will be a direct competitor to Bajaj REs. Rather, it will settle a notch above. The Bajaj rickshaws are probably 1/2 the vehicle that an Iris is, and thus will remain 30 - 40% cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I am sure it won't be putt, putt, putt, putttttrerrrrrrrrrrr....like the rickshaw!
Why not? Even the Nano goes "putt, putt, putt" like a rickshaw.

P.S. Where the zigwheels picture has been clicked is the braking section on Tata's test track. Just look at those tyre marks.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 12:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, this may end up in the same price bracket - and hence a close competitors to the ricks. Reason : looking at the Nano's pricing, this one may end up @ approx 1.5L ex-showroom. That's the same range as a Bajaj RE ! From what the auto guys say, getting a rick on the road costs almost 2L !
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 13:13   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
GTO, this may end up in the same price bracket - and hence a close competitors to the ricks. Reason : looking at the Nano's pricing, this one may end up @ approx 1.5L ex-showroom. That's the same range as a Bajaj RE ! From what the auto guys say, getting a rick on the road costs almost 2L !
Two questions are key here, Condor:

1. What is the profit margin on the base Nano right now? It's wafer thin. Tata will raise the prices sooner rather than later. Selling the base at 99,000 ex-factory is not a sustainable pricing strategy.

2. What is the margin on Bajaj rickshaws? As we'd imagine, it's a pretty fat packet. If Tata were to offer a decidedly more substantial product at the same price, Bajaj will find a way to cut prices.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 13:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

This could change the face of Indian roads. Looks way better than the ugly, third world, dinosaur age Bajaj Auto, which IMO are single handedly responsible for 50% of chaos on Indian roads.
Bajaj 3 wheeler is not so ugly mate. Looks ok ... but you cant beat the usability at a given price that vehicle offers to you. Its a great vehicle & very mush affordable for the end customers.

By the way Bajaj Riksha has the wolrd's smallest turning radius i guess. It can turn in area less than it takes to turn a bike
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 14:02   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO, both points are very valid, and this will actually make for an intresting situation. Bajaj has for long been using it's near monopoly to it's advantage. But Iris should gain a good market share, just like how the Ace built it's base over the 3-wheeled goods gaadi's.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 14:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
This could change the face of Indian roads. Looks way better than the ugly, third world, dinosaur age Bajaj Auto, which IMO are single handedly responsible for 50% of chaos on Indian roads.

I hope it catches up and Indian roads get the much needed discipline and elegance!
Totally agree with you. I also sincerely hope ( and wish) that this becomes a huge success and replaces 3 wheelers on our roads
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 15:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hope that the iris wins over the heart of the richshawallas and proves more economical and cheaper to run and maintain than the bajaj RE.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 22:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If this vehicle ends up as competition to the RE rick, it is sure a deserving slap on face of Bajaj. I feel that Bajaj went overboard with their their 1 lakh car during Nano launch. That was bad on part of Bajaj, because all they had was a 1 lakh car wish, not a concept, not even a design.
We could expect a 4 wheeled Rick from Bajaj and Mahindra shortly, and i hope enventually 3 wheeled passenger vehicles will become extinct eventually.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 22:27   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
We could expect a 4 wheeled Rick from Bajaj and Mahindra shortly, and i hope enventually 3 wheeled passenger vehicles will become extinct eventually.
Exactly what I was thinking too. But I doubt either mahindra or bajaj could match IRIS as a package with the critical bit being the price, not to mention decent styling.
hot_wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 11:48   #40
BHPian

I have seen this version of Tata Winger being used as SHARE AUTO in Chennai
Attached Images

Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 15:59   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
That's Tata Magic not Winger.
hot_wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 04:29   #42
BHPian

Tata Magic is indeed one amazing vehicle,that has, replaced the old "BHATT" or long rickshaw in states like MP and Gujarat. It is silent,less polluting,spacious,economic and comfortable.
Hope Iris does the same magic in the three wheeler segment if Tata sets its dealership focus right. The only drawback it has is too much metal and we all know how autowalas drive and maintain their vehicle.
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 08:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Winger is much larger and powered by the 2liter T/C engine. This one looks like the magic i.e. the people carrier version of the Ace. Please post badging pics to back up your claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_wheels View Post
That's Tata Magic not Winger.
Yes I too think its a Magic. However lets await pics from Daewood.
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 23:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

phew.if this is what tata wants to launch at the price of the Bajaj Auto, then i can breathe a sigh of relief. this is what I was looking fwd for to chuck the unsafe and uncomfortable Bajaj Auto's.

TATA, pls sell this and sell it at a price to chuck the total unsafe Auto.
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 09:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's the Tata Magic. But this is yet to catch up with the Minidors, Arjuns, 'Ape's and Mahindra Champions used as Share autos. Tata Winger is bigger and better built. It's more refined too

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Bajaj 3 wheeler is not so ugly mate. Looks ok
I like the newer ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
... but you cant beat the usability at a given price that vehicle offers to you. Its a great vehicle & very mush affordable for the end customers
+1 to that.

Bajaj did make some improvements (though paltry): hydraulic brakes on all three wheels, more powerful headlights, better electrical system, etc. Now a days I see TVS King also, which looks better and makes less noise.

I doubt if Iris could eat into the share of the Bajaj RE autos, the reason being the price. Another thing that would come into picture is the fare - add one more wheel, and the auto drivers who might have migrated to the Iris (or equivalent) would charge more. Already the auto drivers in Chennai are notorious (even "notorious" would seem very soft on them) for charging astronomical fares and indecent behaviour on the road and to the customers.

Last edited by silversteed : 22nd March 2010 at 09:36.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote