Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 22nd March 2010, 10:09   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
It's the Tata Magic. But this is yet to catch up with the Minidors, Arjuns, 'Ape's and Mahindra Champions used as Share autos.
I disagree. Here in pune atleast I see most of the minidor's replaced with magic. Not a single non "Ace Magic" 6 seater on the auto stands now.

Also read the review of Magic Iris on Zigwheels by AJD. They had photos of interiors and it looked like a proper 3+2 seater and lot of space to store your bags in the rear. since its a 3+2 seater you also have a added advantage of carrying 1 more passenger legally over the Bajaj RE.
the VTEC guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
I disagree. Here in pune atleast I see most of the minidor's replaced with magic. Not a single non "Ace Magic" 6 seater on the auto stands now.

Also read the review of Magic Iris on Zigwheels by AJD. They had photos of interiors and it looked like a proper 3+2 seater and lot of space to store your bags in the rear. since its a 3+2 seater you also have a added advantage of carrying 1 more passenger legally over the Bajaj RE.
Good to know that the Magic and Iris are being well-received by the populace. Kudos to TML to think of these innovative ideas and give us something that is worth looking at as a replacement to the age-old machines that still ply our roads.

Last edited by adits : 22nd March 2010 at 11:50. Reason: Misunderstood original post
adits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Yes I too think its a Magic. However lets await pics from Daewood.
Yes its the Tata magic. I was wrong.

It has another name also (3 words) i.e TATA MAGIC ________?

which i don't remember.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:41   #49
BHPian

Besides being big seater, Iris and other non bajaj auto-type vehicals are more safe for passsengers in terms of driving comfort and safety for thier luggage and protection from weather like cold,hot-sun, rains and ofcourse bag snatchers. Now government has a major role to play here. It should ensure that these public mode af transport are properly registered, carry proper photo-id and carry tamper proof meter with electronic number plates. They should also meet pollution norms. This would bring great relief to daily commuters who rely on these self-made heros with "ready to fleece you attitude".
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Yes its the Tata magic. I was wrong.

It has another name also (3 words) i.e TATA MAGIC ________?

which i don't remember.
It should be - TATA MAGIC ACE
the VTEC guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:03   #51
BHPian

Default Can this not kickstart a new segment

I've a feeling that the Iris can kickstart a new segment of call taxis if it manages to move at some speed. In cities like coimbatore, the call taxis which are mostly LPG Omnis bill the customers pretty much on par with the ricks(as the rickwallahs are known to be notorious).
Now the Iris with lesser purchase and running costs might be able to better that and passengers wouldn't probably mind the lack of speed if they pay less than a call taxi.
All set aside, one question lingers in the mind, why is it that the Tatas are limiting the peak power output to just 11 BHP? when the vehicle is legally a 5 seater . Are we not coming out of the 'underpowered' era what with the Mahindras plonking in a 25 BHP engine onto the Maxximo against just 16 BHP for the ACE for a similar payload.
SAE40 in veins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Default Spotted Iris

Spotted Tata Iris here in Pune. Looks as slightly longer then Nano. Did not looked balanced like Nano.
Attached Thumbnails
Iris, Tata's quirky little Bajaj auto rival-nokia-6280004.jpg  

HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

The back looks ugly IMO. Could've been far better. But considering usability and economy, looks can take a backseat.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:15   #54
BHPian

Is it the picture that is distorted or is the Iris supposed to look like that?
cadaver_prad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

That back bulge i think is to accomodate the rear engine,but they could have gone for a flatter rear which could have been more palatable(for the eyes) as well as more usable space.
well as @silversteed said looks can take a backseat if this is the future city hire taxi of india.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully there will be a Super Iris, with Roll down glass windows in place of Curtains. How does the turning radius compares with 3 wheelers? That is one advantage 3 wheelers got, could turn in narrow gullies.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 01:52   #57
BHPian

I think back looks ugly. If this vehicle does what it it designed for looks take a back seat. Tata should create a separate brand for vehicles like Iris. Aria & Iris names sound so close but very different vehicles.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 04:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

Anything that has the potential to topple(other than gravity) the 3-wheeled bajaj monstrosities is welcome. The Iris is positively brilliant.

Wonder whether they have incorporated the cost saving engineering that they picked up with the Nano. The reason I mention this is because I see the 4 nuts used to connect the wheel instead of the 3 in the Nano. Maybe it saves Rs.20 but that's something too.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 14:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

@Amartya: Anything can topple the 3-wheeled Bajaj autorickshaws - because most of the time I've seen them flying rather than plying on the roads

If the Iris can create another segment of its own, well and good. It should be passenger and environment-friendly
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 18:06   #60
BHPian

Just read in vicky.in.

Tata Motors has launched Magic IRIS.

Tata Motors launches Magic Iris | Vicky.in | Indian Automobile Blog | Car Reviews | Bike Reviews | Test Drive Reports | Pictures | Videos

Quote:
Tata Motors has launched Magic Iris! Yes, that’s what the dealer says. The much awaited seems to be launched in some parts of India. Morani Fourwheels – Rajasthan dealer of Tata Motors claims so. Magic Iris BSIII is priced at Rs1,98,000. On the road Magic iris costs Rs2,11,900. The dealer says that the Magic Iris can be bought within two days of booking. The 611cc magic Iris is believed to Tata’s answers to auto-rickshaws of Bajaj and Piaggio.
1.98L Ex-Showroom price. Priced higher than Nano. Priced quite high if compared with AutoRickshaws. Let's see how the market responds to this.

Last edited by ottocycle : 21st April 2010 at 18:11.
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote