Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 6th April 2010, 17:10   #1
BHPian

Default Mahindra Tourister i vs Tata Marcopolo & others - Need a School Bus

I was helping my Uncle who is a school Principal for selecting this new Tourister i as school buses for his school. Well before we could make up our mind i would still require your expert reviews for both Tourister i and Tata Marcopolo as which one is better?
Attached are some images that shows the comparision between Tourister i and Tata Marcopolo that I had got from a presentation.
Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Tourister i vs Tata Marcopolo & others - Need a School Bus-2345.jpg  

Mahindra Tourister i vs Tata Marcopolo & others - Need a School Bus-6789-copy.jpg  

Mahindra Tourister i vs Tata Marcopolo & others - Need a School Bus-222324.jpg  

Mahindra Tourister i vs Tata Marcopolo & others - Need a School Bus-10111213.jpg  

Mahindra Tourister i vs Tata Marcopolo & others - Need a School Bus-14151617-copy.jpg  

Mahindra Tourister i vs Tata Marcopolo & others - Need a School Bus-18192025-copy.jpg  

Finject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 17:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

nice comparo buddy. but it seems you are already titled in favour of the tourister.

from the comparo, it looks like mahindra scores better on the fit/finish, ergonomics & safety aspect. but the tata is more appealing to look at.

of course, i know looks are not important in this segment & considering your comparo, i would opt for the tourister. but i will also give the marcopolo one fair look once again.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 18:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Can you tell us whats under the hood on these vehicles. So the P/D heads can comment.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 18:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

From the brochures attached looks like the MARCOPOLO is ages behind in terms of design . Wonder what the refinement of the engine would be though.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 18:32   #5
BHPian

@Finject

How can you decide on just a competitor's promotional sales presentation?

If you are serious about your purchase go and speak to some existing owners. Thats the way to do it.
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 20:15   #6
BHPian

Here are some facts.
PowerSteering: Tata - factory fitted
Tourister - Manual steering
Brakes: Tata - Air Brake
Tourister - Fluid Brake

Both the above are very important for a school bus considering the safety and low maintenance in long run.
Based on the driver ergonomics, Marcopolo scores; while Tourister offers more interior space.
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 20:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would still prefer the tourister.
Or else, why not check out the perennial favourite-the swaraj mazda supreme T3500?
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 22:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
From the brochures attached looks like the MARCOPOLO is ages behind in terms of design . Wonder what the refinement of the engine would be though.
i think you meant that the tourister is ages behind!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 22:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i think you meant that the tourister is ages behind!
Definitely not !! The MARCOPOLO doesn't even have an emergency exit. Just look at the way the space beneath the seat in the MARCOPOLO has been designed. Shoddy in one word.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 22:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think the material is provided by Mahindra and hence shows only the points where it scores over Marcopolo. I read somewhere Tata's market share in School bus segment is almost 80%. In Kerala, where it is dominated by Leyland buses, i see mostly Tata school buses. The main reason low maintenance and operational costs.
No matter what the promotional material says, on the road Marcopolo looks much better and ages ahead of Mahindra.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Definitely not !! The MARCOPOLO doesn't even have an emergency exit. Just look at the way the space beneath the seat in the MARCOPOLO has been designed. Shoddy in one word.
Sorry, but what can we expect from a promo from Mahindra. They are going to take images from the worst angles possible! Did you see the snap in which they show that the Marco's tyre touches the body! Hilarious and distasteful!

Ask a Tata or AL photographer and he will get you the shoddiest images of the Tourister as well.

I have travelled on both the Tourister and MarcoPolo. I can say that the MarcoPolo is the segment leader for good reason. Remember. My conclusion is on usage and not some salesman's ppt file.

Last edited by Trapezio : 7th April 2010 at 10:50.
Old 7th April 2010, 11:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default 20 ways to show how much you care for children - Tata Skool Buses

Mahindra Tourister i vs Tata Marcopolo & others - Need a School Bus-tataskoolbuses.jpg
See the difference in Tata Marketing Materials. The seats etc looks much better than what is depicted in Mahindra material. Just shows how desperate Mahindras are. I dont think Tatas will ever do such tactics in their marketing materials.
1) Emergency exit, i think it is mandatory to have it.
2) Last row bench seat, is it a good thing? If you ask me Children should not be allowed at the last row, ideally should be made emergency exit.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 18:28   #13
BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Attachment 324109
See the difference in Tata Marketing Materials. The seats etc looks much better than what is depicted in Mahindra material. Just shows how desperate Mahindras are. I dont think Tatas will ever do such tactics in their marketing materials.
1) Emergency exit, i think it is mandatory to have it.
2) Last row bench seat, is it a good thing? If you ask me Children should not be allowed at the last row, ideally should be made emergency exit.
I think the tata bus in the comparison is the marcopolo while in your picture it is the starbus.. my main issue is that I cant seem to find much info about marcopolo apart from a brochure and the talk given to me by the marcopolo dealer. They don't even have a website. i have got the tourister specs from the website
Mahindra Tourister i vs Tata Marcopolo & others - Need a School Bus-tourister-specs.jpg

Looking at the current information I have i'm v. much tilted towards tourister but still I'd like to know if there is more to know.

Can anyone give me some useful information about marcopolo buses as their is no website by tata for marcopolo..and when i called on the number on their website i.e.1-800-209-7979 they gave me 2 other numbers 1800225370 & 02267927272
..the 1st one does not work and the second one got answered and they put me on hold for a good 10 minutes after which i cut the call..very frustrated.

Also for clarification, the pictures that i have posted are not given to me by Mahindra official source. I think they're made by a dealer or someone.
Finject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 18:40   #14
BHPian

^^ Finject

Insist with the Tata dealer to guide you to one of their Tata Marcopolo customers even if its a regular (non school) one. Go and speak to an existing owner instead of relying on websites. That is the best approach. From your location of Mumbai, surely, there will be buses running around.

Also, how many seats are you looking for? What are your priorities?

Last edited by Trapezio : 7th April 2010 at 18:42.
Old 7th April 2010, 19:19   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@Finject, you mention that you got this from a presentation. Looks it was prepared by the Mahindra guys - it looks very & typically partisan.
Quote:
Trapezio : How can you decide on just a competitor's promotional sales presentation?
teamveevee : I think the material is provided by Mahindra and hence shows only the points where it scores over Marcopolo.
Trapezio : Sorry, but what can we expect from a promo from Mahindra. They are going to take images from the worst angles possible! Did you see the snap in which they show that the Marco's tyre touches the body! Hilarious and distasteful!

Ask a Tata or AL photographer and he will get you the shoddiest images of the Tourister as well.

Some comparisons that are actually funny :
* Risk of children getting hurt - children can get hurt anywhere, depending on their actions
* Stanchion pipes - the children are supposed to be seated, and bus should not be overcrowded like city buses are.
* Grab rails being high should not be a concern.
* No space between driver seat & notice board - who does it affect, and how ?
* Emergency door NOT provided in a bus ? Is it possible ? The bus would not even be able to get registration.
* Rexine getting worn out : depends on use, and what quality is selected by the buyer.
* Bigger glass for more light. Like this is a deal breaker
* Tyre clearance - tyre wear from bus body ?? How many such buses have we seen like this ?
* same colored headlight & indicator is a point to be noted, but different colors look beautiful ?
* How much is the indicator protuding that it is prone to get damaged ?
* Why isnt the lesser curvature of the touriser's mirror not a negative point
* How is the Tourister rear indicator less suseptible ot damage ?
the entire unit has to replaced if damaged - unlike in the MP, where only the single unit will be affected.
* 4 bars, and yet the children are at risk ? How did they measure it ? And why does the presenation not say that lesser bars is a bigger risk ?

What you should do :
Quote:
Trapezio : If you are serious about your purchase go and speak to some existing owners. Thats the way to do it.
Trapezio : Also, how many seats are you looking for? What are your priorities?
And as seen in this page, Marcopolo is not the only option from Tata : You also have the Starbus Skool range - one that has been around for sometime now, and a better canditate to judge while in actual usage.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote