Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 29th July 2011, 23:21   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rashly Driven Private Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
The guy in the car is the bad driver vis-a-vis the private bus. He follows the bus which is on a dangerous overtaking maneuver, blindly through the wrong lane. It appears as if he is carrying a just married couple. (Appears from the flower bunch he has on his bonnet)

Last edited by rajeev k : 29th July 2011 at 23:22.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 21:23   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

Watch out for these buses - they are reckless, if not anything else - Anandaraj, Gijo, KK Menon (used to have some sensible drivers, but not anymore)...
KK menon used to be one of the sanely driven pvt buses some time back, but now they are just like any other operator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I thought that is the rule of the road in NHs in Kerala. Small guys always give way to the big ones. But normally in this situations the big guy will turn on his head lights. This is regular thing, not an exception.
Oh yeah, the headlights were on. How I wish I was driving a tipper lorry or something huge and intimidating.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 22:35   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Oh yeah, the headlights were on. How I wish I was driving a tipper lorry or something huge and intimidating.
The rule is, a) The bigger one always got the right of way irrespective of who is in the correct lane. b) In case of equal sized vehicles, whoever puts the headlights first got the right of way.
In case of minor fender bender accidents, whoever shouts louder is the winner and it is always the silent ones mistake.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 15:29   #154
Senior - BHPian

Talking about crazy driving, an extension to God's own country driver skills must be the private bus drivers of Mangalore - Udupi service. Any one who has experience it will vouch for it.

Some time back me and my close buddy travelled in one, it was monsoon and pouring rain. The bus just kept blasting through the road unmindful of zero visibility and traffic.

My friend just closed his eyes till we reached the destination. Anyone who has a video or similar experience can prove my point.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 15:39   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Talking about crazy driving, an extension to God's own country driver skills must be the private bus drivers of Mangalore - Udupi service. Any one who has experience it will vouch for it.

Some time back me and my close buddy travelled in one, it was monsoon and pouring rain. The bus just kept blasting through the road unmindful of zero visibility and traffic.

My friend just closed his eyes till we reached the destination. Anyone who has a video or similar experience can prove my point.
In the good old days, 1996-'97 I used to visit Mangalore every month on work and used to make a trip to Udupi, Kundapur, Manipal etc atleast once. It was always my habit to sit on the left side of the bus in the middle rows. Those bus drivers in my opinion belong to a different planet. In my opinion they were worse than the Kerala Private Bus drivers.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 16:00   #156
BHPian

Why on earth(or in india) we don't put speed limiters on all heavy vehicles? make speed limits like 60kmph on highway and 35kmph within city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Move back Hamilton...
overtaking at all wrong places where you have solid lines drawn on road to tell you explicitly "Don't Overtake"!..and the car guy is just plain stupid following bus dangerous pursuit. and how people dare to even record their own stupidity and put on public display?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Please avoid quoting video's in the post as it inconveniences our small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th August 2011 at 10:45. Reason: posts merged
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 17:54   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
Why on earth(or in india) we don't put speed limiters on all heavy vehicles? make speed limits like 60kmph on highway and 35kmph within city?
There are speed limiting devices fitted on all buses. There is a rule in Kerala that requires all buses to have one, in order to be given permit. However, once they hit the roads, the limiting device is either removed, or tampered with, so that the bus is free to hit any speed that it's capable of.

One of the KSRTC (Kerala) drivers had once told me that they make some tweaks in the wiring so that the fuel cutoff doesn't happen once the bus crosses the set limit of 60kmph. Reason, otherwise they'll never complete the long distance trips on time, which is the absolute truth. Cruising on highways like the NH7 to Bangalore, and NH47 from Palakkad to Salem and beyond need not be confined to just 60kmph, as these are the stretches where the bus can make up for the time lost in the other places, and reach on time.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 22:47   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
There are speed limiting devices fitted on all buses. There is a rule in Kerala that requires all buses to have one, in order to be given permit. However, once they hit the roads, the limiting device is either removed, or tampered with, so that the bus is free to hit any speed that it's capable of.

One of the KSRTC (Kerala) drivers had once told me that they make some tweaks in the wiring so that the fuel cutoff doesn't happen once the bus crosses the set limit of 60kmph. Reason, otherwise they'll never complete the long distance trips on time, which is the absolute truth. Cruising on highways like the NH7 to Bangalore, and NH47 from Palakkad to Salem and beyond need not be confined to just 60kmph, as these are the stretches where the bus can make up for the time lost in the other places, and reach on time.
Make these device GPS n GPRS controlled so device sends logs of all journeys to RTO. And speed can be governed also automatically depending on their location. That way we will be able to see lot more sanity on road n less road accidents n less number those shameful incidents where women got molested in buses.
And they can make any excuse for rash driving n over speeding, but truth is "Better late then never".

Last edited by Suess : 4th August 2011 at 22:50.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 08:24   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Make these device GPS n GPRS controlled so device sends logs of all journeys to RTO.
This "idea" has already been approved by the Kerala Motor Vehicles Department. The government has accorded permission to one of the many Private bus operators federations to install GPS in the buses. The GPS would be installed by an advertising company, who will get advertising rights in return. The company would show ads through LCD monitors installed in the bus.

KSRTC had called tenders for installation of GPS (in return for advertisement) two years back - but there was no response. Now KSRTC has decided to go ahead with another central funded proposal to install GPS in their buses.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 09:31   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Make these device GPS n GPRS controlled so device sends logs of all journeys to RTO. ..".
This can be done but only with EDC control Engines. In the sense BS III and above ( Exception being AL 160 HP IL engines)
Also this task includes the interaction of EDC software and GPS device to send data logs when ever required.
This cannot be done without the support of manufacturer(TM and AL)
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 16:51   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
This can be done but only with EDC control Engines. In the sense BS III and above ( Exception being AL 160 HP IL engines)
Also this task includes the interaction of EDC software and GPS device to send data logs when ever required.
This cannot be done without the support of manufacturer(TM and AL)
I guess the RTO guys will not be interested in knowing fuel consumption, rpm or other tech stuff that the EDC might spew out. Instead a basic add on GPS device would just relay what route the bus ran on, what speed it ran at, etc. This is exactly what the RTO guys would be interested in.

I doubt if you require the support of the manufacturer to install a GPS unit. (BMTC had GPS sets in its leased buses, and they used to track the operation of those buses as well).

In Kerala, the basic intention of installing GPS is to curb overspeeding by private buses, and also to have a track of how many buses short terminate their trips. Crew often short terminate trips and return to the origin - they flout timetables and this leads to altercation with crew of other buses. Short Termination results in loss of revenue to the owner - so they are very interested in the GPS system.
Old 5th August 2011, 19:19   #162
Senior - BHPian

@ Binaiks:
Agree with you for the part.
If only speed I think it can be easily configured.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 08:19   #163
Senior - BHPian

The main problem with these guys is that they do not do very high speeds, but they are very fast when they have slow moving traffic around. That's like the main danger, its like short bursts of acceleration mostly below 60 kmph
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 09:14   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The main problem with these guys is that they do not do very high speeds, but they are very fast when they have slow moving traffic around. That's like the main danger, its like short bursts of acceleration mostly below 60 kmph
I guess you are not kidding? I've seen them going at 70 and 80 on narrow roads where even car guys would shudder thinking of going at those speeds. I've checked their speed on my GPS, which - even considering error - confirms my observations.

On Highways, these guys just flat out - Private buses were overtaking the Kallada B9R the other day left right and centre - the poor driver of the B9R was scared to even cut across due to these guys. During the regular night runs, they do not get a taste of these rash private guys - but day service is a different ball game altogether.
Old 27th August 2011, 10:59   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
On Highways, these guys just flat out - Private buses were overtaking the Kallada B9R the other day left right and centre - the poor driver of the B9R was scared to even cut across due to these guys. During the regular night runs, they do not get a taste of these rash private guys - but day service is a different ball game altogether.
I have seen this several times between Trichur & Palghat. These private buses overtake any car/KSRTC super fast buses and never bothered about oncoming vehicles while overtaking.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote