Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 27th August 2011, 14:36   #166
Zed
BHPian

Default Re: Rashly Driven Private Buses

Have always wondered what stops the otherwise vocal public in Kerala from standing up to these killer 'private' buses that terrorize road users, pedestrians, cyclists and the travelling public on a daily basis. The owners and crew are probably local, which makes it convinced for the various social organizations to picket their homes \ offices.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 07:52   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The main problem with these guys is that they do not do very high speeds, but they are very fast when they have slow moving traffic around. That's like the main danger, its like short bursts of acceleration mostly below 60.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
On Highways, these guys just flat out - Private buses were overtaking the Kallada B9R the other day left right and centre - the poor driver of the B9R was scared to even cut across due to these guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I have seen this several times between Trichur & Palghat. These private buses overtake any car/KSRTC super fast buses and never bothered about oncoming vehicles while overtaking.
The Arun is right here. In narrow stretches like between Ernakulam and kodungalloor and in bad pot holed roads even at speeds below 60KMPH they terrorize other motorists by their offensive style. The air horn, which is not used in town limits at present is a great tool for them to antagonize other road users. There is a new lesser intensity version of the air horn in use today, which also is quite annoyingly used.In many an instance, to save the vehicles from getting scrapped, one makes way for them, including drivers of costly B9Rs.
There is a statutory requirement of a speed lock installation in buses, but are always bypassed.

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th August 2011 at 07:56.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 14:27   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The Arun is right here. In narrow stretches like between Ernakulam and kodungalloor and in bad pot holed roads even at speeds below 60KMPH they terrorize other motorists by their offensive style.
Their offensive style of driving certainly scares the public off the roads, but I completely disagree that they drive slow. I drive daily from Kodungallur to Edappally - and I've tasted their speed everytime. They drive at 70+ even on the worst stretch of road between Parur and Kodungallur.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 18:43   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Their offensive style of driving certainly scares the public off the roads, but I completely disagree that they drive slow. I drive daily from Kodungallur to Edappally - and I've tasted their speed everytime. They drive at 70+ even on the worst stretch of road between Parur and Kodungallur.
I too said the same thing. A do agree to that, yes on bad roads. The stretch from Parur to kodungalloor and from Edappally to near Cheranalloor. Beyond which up to Parur their ploy or offensive style scares only novices.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 19:15   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's something that I witnessed recently. I had posted this in the Bad drivers thread. I totally stand by the car driver.

The person in question is already a "Bad Driver" (Drivers of private buses in Cochin) but this guy qualifies as a really really bad driver.

Location - MG Road near Jos Jn

This bus driver decides to overtake another bus in an already congested road. He takes the footpath to reach the bus stop early. In the process he knocks the ORVM of a Dzire. Not stopping, he manages to crawl through the road. The Dzire catches up and stops bang in front of the bus. Gets out and the rest is as expected. I could hear him saying that he will not take the car until he is paid. He was really furious and I could see his face turn red. Other motorists joined with him and started shouting at the bus driver.

The reason why I posted this even without the pic is that this bus driver literally took the footpath even when there were many people waiting at the bus stop. I'm sure that the fatal "Palimukku bus accident" (which was posted here - video) came to their minds.

A very bad driver!
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 20:34   #171
BHPian

Yesterday my sister lost her father in law near mangalore. A rash ksrtc bus driver in an hurry to overtake a lorry ploughed into driver side causing severe chest injury. Few hours later he succumbed. Last words he said to his brother was " please save my life "
Few years back another eldrely relative of mine was standing on a footpath a bus crashed into him and he died on the spot. We dint put the case on the driver. We made him stand in the house and see to what extent people were deeply hurt by the loss , how much his wife wept.now she s alone as she doesnt have any children.

What is the point. Its very clear the value for life in india is very low. No one follows rules and no one enforces them. Every day i see people dying in front of my eyes and sometimes we are quite helpless to do anything. Its not easy explaining that their near one is no more. I guess everyone should take a step forward.
drkakkilaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 11:30   #172
BHPian

Here is a video on how bus drivers of Kerala compete with each other. Buses are Kannur-Kozhikode Sayanora and Thalassery-Kozhikode Nethravathy

Jimmyjosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 19:38   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjosek View Post
Here is a video on how bus drivers of Kerala compete with each other. Buses are Kannur-Kozhikode Sayanora and Thalassery-Kozhikode Nethravathy

From what usually happens, that seems to be a rather docile piece of action . It can get scarier and more crazier than that! I remember my bus trips to thrissur from palakkad in the late 90s!
vineethvazhayil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:13   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
From what usually happens, that seems to be a rather docile piece of action . It can get scarier and more crazier than that! I remember my bus trips to thrissur from palakkad in the late 90s!
If you thought thats scary, check this out: See on how many occasions did he miss hitting the truck on the left side and that Isuzu, was purposefully braking to slow him down.

I am sorry, but from the title of the video and from many such videos and subsequent comments, I see that people tend to enjoy this mad rush and criss cross overtaking. They seem to be having that fun in adrenaline rush. Recipe for disaster, some day or other.(Well every day passing, we are hearing more and more of bus accidents or road accidents in general). Earlier we change, the better for our future generation.

The reason why I love KaSRTC Airavats and its crew:

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 22nd August 2012 at 19:23.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:22   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post

I am sorry, I see that people tend to enjoy this mad rush and criss cross overtaking. They seem to be having that fun in adrenaline rush. Recipe for disaster, some day or other.(Well every day passing, we are hearing more and more of bus accidents or road accidents in general). Earlier we change, the better for our future generation.
Fully agree with you. All this talk of volvos hitting 125kmph etc on our highways (whch are not access controlled) is scary!
Autokrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:02   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
If you thought thats scary, check this out: See on how many occasions did he miss hitting the truck on the left side and that Isuzu, was purposefully braking to slow him down.
Interestingly, why the slow moving trucks stay on the RHS? Unlike in the case of private (route) buses, this is more of a friendly competition just for fun..Normally these guys (drivers) are regulars and friends.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:38   #177
BHPian

Yesterday, a woman lost her life when a bus hit a motorcycle on which she was a pillion, causing her to fall down and died when the bus ran over her head. All this happened right in front of the Police Commissioner's office in Calicut.

Obviously, a case of manslaughter has been registered against the driver and the bus has been impounded. But this case will fade from the local papers and the minds of the public in few days, probably already has, till the next incident. No preventive measure are taken so that such senseless deaths are avoided.

All so that some people can make some money and/or have fun scaring other road users.

This thread will continue to fill up with reports of similar incidents, but what do we do about these grim reapers-on-wheels?

Simply getting into arguments/fights with individual buses are pointless and will not give us the desired results. What can we do as one of the most popular auto sites in India to kick start some sort of change? Even a fraction would go a long way in reducing the number of mindless deaths and accidents on our roads.
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:38   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Interestingly, why the slow moving trucks stay on the RHS? Unlike in the case of private (route) buses, this is more of a friendly competition just for fun..Normally these guys (drivers) are regulars and friends.
Sir, You are joking/being sarcastic, Aren't you? Come on, you cannot support these acts! If they were indeed serious, I would suggest they show their friendship when off the road, please not when on duty with ~50+50 passengers on-board plus other road users. I am not in the game for their funny acts to loose my life. I have better things to do in life than being the scape goat for their stunts.

OTOH, trucks on the RHS = . I guess you got my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
This thread will continue to fill up with reports of similar incidents, but what do we do about these grim reapers-on-wheels?

Simply getting into arguments/fights with individual buses are pointless and will not give us the desired results. What can we do as one of the most popular auto sites in India to kick start some sort of change? Even a fraction would go a long way in reducing the number of mindless deaths and accidents on our roads.
Sir, I have been beating around the bush for long here in TBHP, and even our member "Evilshantanu" wanted to do something when he had his car rear ended. Its more talk than action going on in our country.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 23rd August 2012 at 11:41.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:44   #179
BHPian

The stopping of Office and private buses at the start or end of the flyover is very risky and dangerious.

Few months ago our office bus was stopped at the end of the Waghbill flyover on Ghodbunder Road Thane to take in few employees. The bus driver stopped the bus suddenly, Riksha behind the bus banged on the rear of the bus and head of the passanger in the Riksha hit on the rod in the middle of the riksha. he lost his consciousness and taken to the hospital. All of a sudden lot of people gathered and the bike rider who was also behind our bus was incidentally had some political reference. After lot of chaos of 1 hour bus was started.

After this incidence all our company bus drivers had safe driving training arranged by the company and now strictly all commuters see that not a single driver stops the bus either at the start of the flyover or at the end of the flyover. All such stops which were near the flyovers are relocated.
_Vyenky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:37   #180
Senior - BHPian

The Viji, Padikkal, Parveen contest shows just how little safety margins these Volvo night services keep. They are driving at 100+ km/hr speeds in a heavy rear-engined bus on 2 lane unlit roads with 50 km/hr trucks to overtake!

Even the slightest miscalculation will result in an accident with fatal consequences. I have made it a practice to immediately give way to these morons when they come up in my rear view mirror.
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote