Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 23rd April 2010, 06:44   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post

I wont mind and always have waited at the bus stand for my fav( read fastest) bus while there were other buses leaving for the same destination.

I use to take the Mubarak service from Thodupuzha to Ernakulam, Kothamangalam - Kunjithany PPK sons Limited Stop to name a few.

These driving looks rash due to the roads.

I've traveled on the aforementioned Mubarak Super Express and I can attest that the driver goes crazy ones he gets to the narrow state highways. On the NH from Kumily to Kanjirapally he was rather restrained.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Driving Fast in Narrow Roads(or so called "State" Highway) in Kerala by Private Buses are Life Threatening to Both People and other Vehicles.I am Writing this thinking of SH43(Palarivattom –Muvattupuzha) in Kerala.
NH17 Edappaly - Kodungalur route is also the same. But i guess the accidents reported from these two routes are less compared to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Please don't take it personally, but I think you need to reconsider your statement.
If the driving "looks" rash due to the roads, then it definitely is. A good driver is supposed to make the road "look" less dangerous and is also supposed to adapt his driving style according to the conditions.

Driving fast and driving responsibly need not be mutually exclusive. It's all about the road, if it permits safe and fast driving (for example, wide lanes, proper lighting etc.) it's absolutely fine. But the picture in question had a bus supposedly driving on a narrow road, squeezing through two cars at 80km/h, now that's foolhardy, to encourage it, stupid.
well the difference is, thsoe who depends on buses like them to go faster and those who use cars like them to go slower. The ame happens with me, when im in the bus i like my bus to fly, but while im driving i curse the bus drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
There is this similiar story with 2 bus routes in Goa. They both got nationalised after a lot of complaints against the private bus operators by the "public". In Goa too they are run by politicians and the same tactics were employed as you mentioned. But the citizens here showed some spine in opposing these tactics. Instead of cribbing about lack of options like you folks.

The last straw was a fully loaded Paulo bus ploughing into a field at high speeds killing the conductor. Also remember students from one college on the above 2 routes blocking all the private buses for their rash driving after one of them ran over a student, injuring him badly. That put an end to private bus operators on those routes. Now we see much better services from private operators on other routes.
Gos has the worst public bus service among Kerala, Karnataka, TN. the worst by a long way.
prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Gos has the worst public bus service among Kerala, Karnataka, TN. the worst by a long way.
Who said anything about service? Thats a different topic. Also bad service does not kill people. The rash driving does.

We are talking about rashly driven private transport buses. And Kerala has the worst by a long way. And with people who dont complain but instead give credence to such behaviour - like you have said above we know why.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Who said anything about service? Thats a different topic. Also bad service does not kill people. The rash driving does..
I agree that was off topic.

Quote:
We are talking about rashly driven private transport buses. And Kerala has the worst by a long way. And with people who dont complain but instead give credence to such behaviour - like you have said above we know why.
Rashly yes. But do we have any figures to compare? Can any one provide us the figures? We aint that bad on casualities. I said i like drivers who drive fast, really fast, but didnt mean I want them to run over pedestrains or two wheelers. Skillfully super fast like our KeSRTC SF not like ernakulam red city buses.

Last edited by prmd_cochin : 23rd April 2010 at 14:21.
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Rashly yes. But do we have any figures to compare? Can any one provide us the figures? We aint that bad on casualities. I said i like drivers who drive fast, really fast, but didnt mean I want them to run over pedestrains or two wheelers.
If a low figure of casualties is shown, you are good with the rash drving? So if only one dies because of rash driving it is ok but we should start getting alarmed only when thousands die?

Its true life has no value in India.

And these figures however good they maybe will not even have 5% accuracy. In a place like India where police are the biggest goons themselves trying to show low figures we dont have a good reporting sysytem. Even with all this we rank high on road accidents.

And seriously man if the buses like the ones we have running in Kerala drive at 80kmph however skilfully they are driven cutting between two cars they are a hazard.

If you want to go fast and risk even a single life its not worth it.

Kerala has a problem with rash driven buses, agree to it and try getting a solution instead of trying to justify it.

Quote:
Skillfully super fast
Thats an oxymoron statement with respect to Indian driving conditions.

Remember rash is not safe.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I see a lot of people of my age on bikes, riding rashly. Almost none of them meet with accidents, but there are a lot of people who are inconvenienced because of it - especially pedestrians like me.

In the photo of the bus squeezing past two cars, the drivers of both the cars would be cursing the bus driver.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
If a low figure of casualties is shown, you are good with the rash drving? So if only one dies because of rash driving it is ok but we should start getting alarmed only when thousands die?.
Thousands is stretching it a bit too far, look at other states and compare the casualities in kerala wrt buses, it pretty low atleast i think so.

Quote:
Its true life has no value in India..
I dont know, but i value it.

Quote:
And these figures however good they maybe will not even have 5% accuracy. In a place like India where police are the biggest goons themselves trying to show low figures we dont have a good reporting sysytem. Even with all this we rank high on road accidents..
Those are with respect to crimes like rape, robbery or bribery. Accidents atleast the one involving buses do get reported.

Quote:
And seriously man if the buses like the ones we have running in Kerala drive at 80kmph however skilfully they are driven cutting between two cars they are a hazard..
80kph is a statement he made. I wont hang by it.

Quote:
If you want to go fast and risk even a single life its not worth it.Kerala has a problem with rash driven buses, agree to it and try getting a solution instead of trying to justify it..
the solution is to get the roads widened and have pedestrian walks.

Quote:
Thats an oxymoron statement with respect to Indian driving conditions.

Neither is life.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think we need such initiatives back. Associations like this can make a lot of change. With all the corruption its possible to get things done. Problem is the people who dont bother.
Associations do exist in almost every small village - you should remember that Kerala is famous for associations and strikes. However, the bus lobby is far more powerful, and such protests often result in flash strikes by private bus operators. At the end, it is the same passengers who get affected. The problem is compounded by the fact that the state transport undertaking does not have enough fleet to cover up for flash strikes.

Quote:
I agree driving fast can be dangerous, but let me say this too I hate to be in a bus that crawls.
But does "fast" mean "rash" as well? I too love traveling fast, but not rash. The Kerala SRTC buses are fast, but rarely rash. At the same time, Private buses are always rash, but rarely fast.

Quote:
These driving looks rash due to the roads.
If it looks rash, it indeed is.

Quote:
NH17 Edappaly - Kodungalur route is also the same. But i guess the accidents reported from these two routes are less compared to others.
Like you said, the number of accidents "reported" is less - but it is not. I drive daily from Kodungallur to Edappally, and not a single day passes without an accident. And in 99% of the cases, the offender is a private bus. With over one bus per minute, the Parur-Edappally section is the most notorious. I had witnessed one major accident myself, and the offender was a bus "Rohini Kannan". The bus hit a car, and the car driver was seriously injured - but no news papers had this story. The car was parked at the police station for over two weeks - and was in real bad shape. The bus was on the road the next afternoon itself.

Quote:
And these figures however good they maybe will not even have 5% accuracy. In a place like India where police are the biggest goons themselves trying to show low figures we dont have a good reporting sysytem. Even with all this we rank high on road accidents.
How true! The figures posted by the police are purposefully kept low. The reasons are obvious.

Quote:
And seriously man if the buses like the ones we have running in Kerala drive at 80kmph however skilfully they are driven cutting between two cars they are a hazard.
They are indeed a hazard. But the public choose to keep quiet not out of choice but are forced to do so. About 8 months back, a consumer organisation had called for a "travel by ksrtc" strike. One of the major reason for such a strike was rash driving by private buses. The strike was partially successful - and it happened because the Guruvayur-Kodungallur-Ernakulam (The route on which such a strike was organised) has a KSRTC bus every 3-5 minutes. Passengers had the choice of chucking a private bus and getting into a KSRTC bus.

But that does not happen everywhere.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 05:17   #24
BHPian

One of the worst aspects of using private buses in Kerala is the way they shout at you to get-off fast at your stop so they don't waste time being stationary. I feel it's a rather harsh way to treat your customers (they're not doing us a favor). And it's worse if you're the last one to get off because the cleaner/conductor will ring the bell the moment your foot reaches the ground (your other foot's still on the bus). This is quite dangerous as one can fall as the bus speeds away. I lost my Grandfather in a similar fashion in 1999.

The drivers rationalise their rash driving by saying that their income depends on the collection earned. They believe they can pick up more passengers by flying through the route. Now any time saved cannot be utilised to do another run due to permit limitations. Then how are they able to maximise customer numbers if they reduce the time spent on the route. I believe they'll get more passengers if they go slower and stick to the speed limits and schedule.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 07:01   #25
BHPian

KSRTC drivers too are rash. Here is a pic of a Kozhikode bound FP bus, of Malappuram garrage, overtaking many vehicles at a stretch, without minding the Indica coming opposite. The Indica escaped to see another day!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rashly Driven Private Buses-img_0373a.jpg  

Jimmyjosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 10:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
The drivers rationalise their rash driving by saying that their income depends on the collection earned. They believe they can pick up more passengers by flying through the route. Now any time saved cannot be utilised to do another run due to permit limitations. Then how are they able to maximise customer numbers if they reduce the time spent on the route. I believe they'll get more passengers if they go slower and stick to the speed limits and schedule.
By reducing the time spent on the route, they are able to reach stops earlier - and they believe this makes passengers choose them. Another reason is that they can overtake more ordinary buses and garner their passengers as well. By going slower, perhaps the following bus might get closer - or worse, overtake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjosek View Post
KSRTC drivers too are rash. Here is a pic of a Kozhikode bound FP bus, of Malappuram garrage, overtaking many vehicles at a stretch, without minding the Indica coming opposite. The Indica escaped to see another day!!
C'mon! This is half as rash as the earlier Private. In majority of my experiences, KeSRTC have been fast, but rarely rash.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 12:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

How does it feel to be pushed to the road shoulder (At times with more than a feet depth or even worse in ghat roads) when a Bus, Lorry, Car or anything comes right opp to you in ur lane trying to overtake a vehicle in their way?

1. Acceptable, since they are on strict timelines.
2. Curse them to hell because they put your life at risk.

A good number of accident pictures I've seen, involving heavy vehicles are a result of risky overtaking misadventures.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 12:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

We are no One to Vouch for Private or RTC Buses.KSRTC(Kerala) Buses too are driven rashly and "Fast as well as rash" is TRUE for them too.Comeon! MC Road(Kerala especially Hilly Muvattupuzha-Ettumanoor section) Stretch itself sees Disasters from KSRTC Buses Regularly.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 12:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjosek View Post
i feel this KSRTC was not that rash in the pic. since if u look carefully the overtake leaves plenty of space between the bus, the rikshaw and commendable space between the indica too. and also the angle from which the pic is taken makes us feel that the bus is very close to the car.
btw i ll say one thing. even though the speed is high with 80KMPH plus and little rash these drivers are tremendously experienced and after all these the accidents buses are rarely spotlighted as culprits and most of the accidents happen due to technical errors of the buses rather than that of the drivers.
urzdeepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 13:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

agreed that Private buses especially in kerala are driven relatively faster compared to other state buses.
BUTT
they are much more disciplined in general compared to say TN or KA.
Bus Guys in Bangalore first of all drive like they are driving an auto,cutting across lanes, stopping parallel to another bus in a busy lane etc .
TN bus guys do not i mean do not give you way to overtake at all.

But all said , i have encountered quite a few pedal to the metal bus drivers in kerala who drove like maniacs.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote