Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 5th May 2010, 17:29   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Guys do check out the drive from silk board towards Hosur. Its a wrestling match between KA and TN buses.
They get even better - I was once privileged to see two private buses, in a race, colliding; now, the fact is that - both of them are from the same firm!!!

Not sure how they ended up running in the same time, but the rest of the crowd (they successfully managed to block the entire road) had a good laugh!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 5th May 2010 at 17:31.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 18:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

I think the driver was doing pedal to the metal. Followed this volvo from thoppur to mettur and it gave a continuous black smoke, speeds around 100 kmph in the 2 laned roads.
Attached Images

ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 19:30   #78
Senior - BHPian

^^ looks like the biker was just missed!

Conti Travels drivers are not know for this rash driving. Guess times change!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 20:45   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parichay View Post
.....Private bus operators have become synonymous with rash driving here in Kochi with at least one accident that involves them occurring daily. I generally do not lose my cool but this was such a blatantly aggressive act that could have easily turned nasty for me and my family. Just wanted to share it with you guys.
Please, someone needs to get these private buses banned outright.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 21:46   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Take it easy , I didnt mean you. I was watching a whole lot of videos on yotube about guys showing themselves on 120 and then blaing a volvo at 125.
When you drive your car, only your life (of course your co-passengers, ie family members/friends) is at risk, where as when the bus speeds all the innocent passengers lives are at risk. Huge difference
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 21:51   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
^^ looks like the biker was just missed!

Conti Travels drivers are not know for this rash driving. Guess times change!
Not expected from Conti. Long back, I used to be a regular traveller on Kottayam<->Coimbatore Conti and it was a nice service, always on time and no rash driving..
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 23:52   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Default With great power comes great responsibility

Quote:
Well one drives a car at 120 kmph and then pokes at Buses that drives at 125 kmph, do they realise both are violating the norms and equaly guilty.

How many guys have boasted driving the gypsy at 120 kmph while dont wait a second to bash a bus driver.

Double standards ?
Absolutely not !!

Larger the vehicle the more damage it can cause to its passengers and the surroundings.

A 100 kg bike driven rashly at 120kph can cause little damage to others if things go wrong.

A 10 tonne bus driven rashly at 120 kph can cause a lot more damage to others as well as to the 50 innocent people on board.

Gypsy is somewhere in between, but the main point is that a bus river is paid a salary to transport passengers safely.

Now you can imagine what can happen in a Boeing 747 at 600-kph. That is why there is a body called FAA that monitors and controls the performance and discipline of pilots.

Last edited by Mpower : 5th May 2010 at 23:57.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 00:16   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Absolutely not !!

Larger the vehicle the more damage it can cause to its passengers and the surroundings.

A 100 kg bike driven rashly at 120kph can cause little damage to others if things go wrong.

A 10 tonne bus driven rashly at 120 kph can cause a lot more damage to others as well as to the 50 innocent people on board.

Gypsy is somewhere in between, but the main point is that a bus river is paid a salary to transport passengers safely.

Now you can imagine what can happen in a Boeing 747 at 600-kph. That is why there is a body called FAA that monitors and controls the performance and discipline of pilots.
Compare the stress on both the drivers. Now tell who should be more easy with driving? The one who have to maintain a schedule on awfull road or the ones out for a stroll.
prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 01:30   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
I know about it. But that thread is about experiences. I want this thread to look into why rash drivers are let off by the public and also to suggest solutions.
I read it as "A Computer's Dilemma" . My Bad.

Anyways, there is nothing different in this thread than the one mentioned by RJStyles. However, let our wise and qualified mods decide that
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 05:23   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely not !!

I'd like you to empirically support your "..a 100 kg bike driven rashly at 120kph can cause little damage to others..." statement. Also, a 100kg bike has a 60-70 kg rider on it and most probably a pillion rider too, so the actual weight could be 220-240 kg.
Old 6th May 2010, 05:31   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
I read it as "A Computer's Dilemma" . My Bad.

Anyways, there is nothing different in this thread than the one mentioned by RJStyles. However, let our wise and qualified mods decide that
I guess your right, the mods should decide.
Old 6th May 2010, 06:28   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Compare the stress on both the drivers. Now tell who should be more easy with driving? The one who have to maintain a schedule on awfull road or the ones out for a stroll.
Firstly I am not convinced that the drivers are stressed out because they are not able to do a great job. More like frustrated with their lives. Do you think auto guys drive like maniacs to make the customer happy?

Secondly, are you justifying rash driving? Can a pilot start taking short cuts because the plane is late?

So what happens if bus reach late..they lose their job or what? Every car,bus and train is late in our country. This is not Japan that everybody tries to be on the dot. If they can't make it in time then the operators need to just extend the arrival time.

Quote:
I'd like you to empirically support your "..a 100 kg bike driven rashly at 120kph can cause little damage to others..." statement. Also, a 100kg bike has a 60-70 kg rider on it and most probably a pillion rider too, so the actual weight could be 220-240 kg.
Yes I can. When a bike loses control he 70 kg pillion rider will fly off first into the bush and then the 80 kg rider into the ditch. Bus contains 50x80 kg of passengers + luggage and courier load.. none of which can fly off.

But this very question of yours tells me that you are totally missing the point.

Last edited by Mpower : 6th May 2010 at 08:06.
Old 6th May 2010, 07:26   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I can. When a bike loses control he 70 kg pillion rider will fly off first into the bush and then the 80 kg rider into the ditch. Bus contains 50x80 kg of passengers + luggage and courier load.. none of which can fly off.

But this very question of yours tells me that you are totally missing the point.
OK, please clarify the point you're trying to make. Are you suggesting that a 100kg bike at 120 kph cannot cause much damage?
Old 6th May 2010, 08:12   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK, please clarify the point you're trying to make. Are you suggesting that a 100kg bike at 120 kph cannot cause much damage?
Isin't that obvious?
A guy's walking along and he could be hit by bike or by a bus. What are his chances in each case?

The point I'm making is that larger/faster the vehicle the more responsible, mature and disciplined the driver needs to be.

READ THIS story by Ajmat.

Quote:
Spent last night on a volvo bus from Cochin. Impressive beast - strong ac, lovely throb of the six? cyl diesel engine - last time I heard something like this was in my frineds BMW 530d.

Was sitting in seat No 1 above the driver. It was scary, his coming up behind cars breaking hard, watching the passegners looking like scared rabbits about to be run down. The lateral forces experienced meant that he was pulling in and out of lanes violently. He must have been in Imola today. I closed my eyes and visualised the Gforce meter.

Also experienced the "torque" bounce as he shifted as if he had an SMG box - rev- declutch - engage- let in clutch - thump ...and so on. The volvo's powerfull acceleration and brakes made up for his inadequacy

Now to the topic line...at Attibele checkpint outside Bangalore, he moved to the other lane of the dual highway (contraflow) to avoid the checkpoint queues - trucks moved away. At the junction, a pedestrian leant forward to look for traffici coming the normal way. Who would expect a bus to come from the wrong side and the windscreen hit him and crazed. Sitting where I was, I heard a sickening dull thud. The driver, drove on and stopped. The cleaner investigated and reported back. The driver seemed calm but down - cna't imagine what was going on in his mind. I lent my phone to call the company and deply another bus. Meanwile, a cop came and started abbusing him and seized the bus. would not let the passengers wait on it till the relief bus came.

I decided that it would take too much time. I flagged down a taxi returning back and got home. A month ago, a friend of mine lost his fiancee in a similar circumstance when a bus hit her scooter. Just wanted to get it off my chest having both sides - the shock of the impact and the grief of the victim.

Last edited by Mpower : 6th May 2010 at 08:22.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:38   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Isin't that obvious?
A guy's walking along and he could be hit by bike or by a bus. What are his chances in each case?

The point I'm making is that larger/faster the vehicle the more responsible, mature and disciplined the driver needs to be.
Well, I agree with you that when driving a bigger vehicle, the driver needs to be more careful and mature.

Now, I'll clarify my argument. Anything hitting you at 100 kph will be quite harmful and could even be fatal. That is why people playing projectile sports don safety equipment. The truth is, no matter what you drive, it is your responsibility to adhere to the speed limits (highway or not), slow down at intersections, and give space/respect to other motorists and pedestrians.