Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 7th June 2010, 08:05   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Well here's what I encountered on Saturday and this was between Chidambaram and Cuddalore. I was doing close to 90 kmph and this bus (checkout the sticker)overtakes me.

Attachment 354679

Maintain a safe distance,keep tailing him and the roads are pretty good. Was in for a complete surprise when the bus driver signaled me asking to overtake him.I just take a quick look at my speedo and it reads 100kmph. Very rare that you find bus drivers at these speeds asking you to over take him. I never did and followed him till Cuddalore. He made sure every single vehicle got out of our way till Cuddalore.
We have many private buses flying like this in tamilnadu . If you go slower than him , he wont respect you , he will keep on honking you from behind. Either go ahead of him fast or let him go by stepping aside.
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 14:46   #107
BHPian

Some pictures of rashly driven buses:

1. The KSRTC Superfast bus of Cherthala Garrage, operating Trissur-Thiruvananthapuram Superfast is overtaking a container lorry even though there is hardly any space with me coming in the opposite. On my right hand side is a huge wall, so giving way is not possible. See I have completely moved out from the road! I stretch my legs and brake as good as I can. The driver has bus driver has no regard for me, on a Maruti Alto. If I was a little less vigilant, I would not have survived to write this!!

2. Everyday occurrence in Kochi city. I let the two buses opposite to take the right hand turn. But the private bus driver (Kazwah KL-17 5155) has no patience. He just comes crashing in in front of the KSRTC. The KSRTC driver too has got a real scare. Whats more, the private driver did not stope but passed the bus through extreme right side (totally wrong side). Lucky there were no one on that side.

These drivers need more training and much more !!
Attached Thumbnails
Rashly Driven Private Buses-img_0767.jpg  

Rashly Driven Private Buses-img_0664a.jpg  

Jimmyjosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 22:16   #108
BHPian

Scary experiences Jimmy! TG nothing happened to you and your vehicle. "On my right hand side is a huge wall, so giving way is not possible. " - did you mean on your left hand side there was a huge wall?
Iluvcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 23:22   #109
BHPian

Sprry, the wall is on the left side and not right side!!
Jimmyjosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 17:07   #110
BHPian

Default Locals foil bid to derail Thiru Kochi service

Not exactly a case of rash driving, but an example of their filthy attitude.

Locals foil bid to derail Thiru Kochi service | bus service | KSRTC | Indian Express

TRIPUNITHURA: Kochiites, it seems, have received the recently introduced Thiru Kochi city bus service, operated by the KSRTC, with much fervour. The increase in revenue from these buses itself justifies the statement.
'Smelling danger', some private bus operators began to create problems, directly and indirectly, against the smooth conduct of the Thiru Kochi bus services.

The KSRTC had introduced a Thiru Kochi service from Eroor North early in the morning for the residents of this remote area, who found it very comfortable to reach the city, as well as the nearby town, Tripunithura. The time for this service was scheduled for 7.00 a.m. from the Mathoor railway gate.

But, for the last two days, a private bus, which was to begin service from the Tripunithura bus stand, shifted its starting point to Mathoor railway gate and began service at 6.45 a.m. Though the locals residing in the nearby areas warned the bus operators not to create any problems for the new Thiru Kochi service, they continued the nuisance on Friday also.

Meanwhile, the bus operators filed a complaint with the Hill Palace police station alleging threat from locals. The nuisance continued on Saturday, too, and the people who gathered at the junction warned the bus operators against this. The bus operators plying between Tripunithura and Eroor, in turn called for a lightning bus strike.

Tripunithura Circle Inspector Biju K Stephen, along with Hill Palace sub-inspector S Jayakrishnan, reached the spot. They contacted City Police Commissioner Manoj Abraham who allotted two police buses to ply on the Tripunithura-Eroor route. The KSRTC also deputed their Muvattupuzha Zonal Officer to face any emergency situation.

"Now most of the passengers, especially women, prefer to use the Thiru Kochi service as it provides a safe journey," a commuter, Vijayalakshmi said.

"This is just a shock treatment for the irresponsible approach of a section of bus workers who create problems for the Thiru Kochi services, CI Biju K Stephen said. The police have also registered a case against 11 workers for illegally mobilising workers against the KSRTC services plying between Eroor and Tripunithura.

Police play good Samaritans

By arranging police vehicles and providing protection to the KSRTC buses, the Tripunithura police introduced a new policing, entirely different from the routine combing operations and vehicle checking. This service continued till Saturday night, which enabled hundreds of passengers, including women, to reach their destination.

Taking commuters for a ride

Kochi: The private bus operators and their men have started 'operations' against the KSRTC buses.

Many of the drivers of KSRTC city services were offered bribe by the private bus operators to ensure that the former conduct the services in such way that it would not affect the profiteering of private plyers.

There were also attempts to deflate the tyres of KSRTC buses.

Now, bus operators are planning to start a strike in Kochi against the 'unreasonable' introduction of KSRTC city service.
prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 17:40   #111
Senior - BHPian

At least now KSRTC is pulling one on the private buses. This move by KSRTC is a nice one. I have seen many buses plying the Aluva-Poothotta route dominated by private buses. Every Kochiite should now support the RTC.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 17:54   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
At least now KSRTC is pulling one on the private buses. This move by KSRTC is a nice one. I have seen many buses plying the Aluva-Poothotta route dominated by private buses. Every Kochiite should now support the RTC.
I guess its a bit of too much that spoils. healthy competition should exist.
Old 26th July 2010, 18:30   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
I guess its a bit of too much that spoils. healthy competition should exist.
I don't think competition has any place where public service is intended. It's better to have just a properly run state corporation doing the job.

In fact, I think they should ban the private buses in Kerala as soon as the KSRTC Fleet numbers reaches a comfortable level. Private players are a pain in the you know where.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 19:11   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Firstly I am not convinced that the drivers are stressed out because they are not able to do a great job. More like frustrated with their lives. Do you think auto guys drive like maniacs to make the customer happy?

Secondly, are you justifying rash driving? Can a pilot start taking short cuts because the plane is late?

So what happens if bus reach late..they lose their job or what? Every car,bus and train is late in our country. This is not Japan that everybody tries to be on the dot. If they can't make it in time then the operators need to just extend the arrival time.
Since this thread seems centered around buses in Kerala, I am surprised that no-one has mentioned that the real reason why drivers drive fast in Kerala is because they have very strict schedules at bus stands.

If a bus arrives even a few minutes later than the scheduled time at the bus stand, the bus is not allowed in. The bus driver has to then make do with the few passengers he can garner outside the bus stand and then try and reach the next bus stand on time. Net result is a tremendous loss of revenue for that trip.

As an aside, even if the bus arrives early, the bus driver has to wait outside the bus stand until the appointed time.

The owners (who are sometimes the drivers) are also to blame as they set unrealistic schedules. Sometimes though they have to make do with whatever time slots they get.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 19:15   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
I don't think competition has any place where public service is intended. It's better to have just a properly run state corporation doing the job.

In fact, I think they should ban the private buses in Kerala as soon as the KSRTC Fleet numbers reaches a comfortable level. Private players are a pain in the you know where.
If its monopoly it always gets spoiled, Why did the public ask for private buses in Trivandrum ?

private buses did its share in developing routes inland especially in the highranges when KSRTC refused.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:56   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Since this thread seems centered around buses in Kerala, I am surprised that no-one has mentioned that the real reason why drivers drive fast in Kerala is because they have very strict schedules at bus stands.
Buses are driven rashly partly because of time schedules - but these very buses overstay at bus stops in an attempt to get more passengers. I'll give you an example of one route that I know well: Kodungallur to Thrissur. The route is 38 kms long, and the running time allocated for limited stop buses is 75 minutes. Buses can easily do this distance in 60 minutes.

However, what they do is: Pull out of the bus station on time, and then park outside the bus station for 5-10 more minutes. He'll move only when the next bus comes behind and honks him to move. He'll then drive like a maniac until the next bus station (Irinjalakkuda, about 16 kms away). He'll repeat the same story here - wait in the bus station for 5 minutes, and then at a stop away from the bus station for another 5 minutes. By now, the next bus would catch up, and this bus would be late by 5-10 minutes. Then drive like a maniac to make it to the terminus on time.

Why on earth should these buses overstay at bus stops and then drive like maniacs after that?

Quote:
If a bus arrives even a few minutes later than the scheduled time at the bus stand, the bus is not allowed in. The bus driver has to then make do with the few passengers he can garner outside the bus stand and then try and reach the next bus stand on time. Net result is a tremendous loss of revenue for that trip.
Absurd - Private buses' entry to bus stations are not schedule based. The buses can enter the bus station and pick up passengers even if its before time or running late. There is no time check for most buses at most places - Time checking is done by Traffic cops, whom, you know would let the operator do whatever provided a share is sent home.

Quote:
The owners (who are sometimes the drivers) are also to blame as they set unrealistic schedules. Sometimes though they have to make do with whatever time slots they get.
Schedules are not decided by the owner - the RTA approves a schedule for each route. The last time I checked, Limited Stop ordinary buses are provided one-and-a-half minute to run a kilometre. Owners were demanding for this to be made 2 minutes per kilometre (to cover up for overstaying at bus stops). This timing changes as per route conditions, and is fixed by the RTA.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 22:42   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Absurd - Private buses' entry to bus stations are not schedule based. The buses can enter the bus station and pick up passengers even if its before time or running late. There is no time check for most buses at most places - Time checking is done by Traffic cops, whom, you know would let the operator do whatever provided a share is sent home.
Probably true in many stations. But a few stations that i Know like Kothamangalam and Adimaly the buses dont enter the station but drop off the passengers outside the station and carry on . Even if they enter the 'killi' or cleaner makes sure no one enters and leaves as soon as everyone is off.
Old 27th July 2010, 05:07   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Probably true in many stations. But a few stations that i Know like Kothamangalam and Adimaly the buses dont enter the station but drop off the passengers outside the station and carry on . Even if they enter the 'killi' or cleaner makes sure no one enters and leaves as soon as everyone is off.
I've see this happening sometimes.
Old 27th July 2010, 05:11   #119
BHPian

Quote:
If its monopoly it always gets spoiled, Why did the public ask for private buses in Trivandrum ?

private buses did its share in developing routes inland especially in the highranges when KSRTC refused.
It might be because of the economics of the KSRTC or any other state transport corporation i.e. higher fixed salary + bonus + DA + pension etc. In the case of KSRTC, it's also having an acute bus shortage.

Private buses initially do good, mostly because the route has very few buses plying. This makes for low competition and hence less aggressive driving. Make the route a competitive one and you'll see what a private bus can do when it shouldn't be doing it.
Old 27th July 2010, 13:48   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
It might be because of the economics of the KSRTC or any other state transport corporation i.e. higher fixed salary + bonus + DA + pension etc. In the case of KSRTC, it's also having an acute bus shortage.

Private buses initially do good, mostly because the route has very few buses plying. This makes for low competition and hence less aggressive driving. Make the route a competitive one and you'll see what a private bus can do when it shouldn't be doing it.

KSRTC isnt doing justice to many nationalised routes for eg like Aluiva - Paravur and Aluva Perumbavur, where the public depend on parallel services run on matador and tempo vans. Why isnt KSRTC not running enough buses on these routes while they are enthusiastic to run buses in the already well serviced routes like Ernakulam - Aluva or Kottayam - Kumily.