Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 27th July 2010, 17:38   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
KSRTC isnt doing justice to many nationalised routes for eg like Aluiva - Paravur and Aluva Perumbavur, where the public depend on parallel services run on matador and tempo vans. Why isnt KSRTC not running enough buses on these routes while they are enthusiastic to run buses in the already well serviced routes like Ernakulam - Aluva or Kottayam - Kumily.
I don't believe Aluva-Paravur is under served. It has the old buses but there are quite a few of them. But Aluva-Perumbanoor is a puzzler alright.

Have you wondered that Kottayam-Ernakulam doesn't have enough KSRTC services. That's odd considering the traffic on this route. This route could be said to be biased in favor of Private buses. I'm not sure why it's so. It's always been like this as far as I can remember. Maybe it's some backdoor deals.

Another problem faced is lack of buses itself and maybe KSRTC sees it more beneficial to run them on long routes. Kottayam-Kumily is a 100% highway run and that's why KSRTC numbers are growing. It's to replace lost capacity of private buses that lose their permit over time.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 18:38   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
Have you wondered that Kottayam-Ernakulam doesn't have enough KSRTC services. That's odd considering the traffic on this route. This route could be said to be biased in favor of Private buses. I'm not sure why it's so. It's always been like this as far as I can remember. Maybe it's some backdoor deals.
Ernakulam Kottayam is served mainly by Kottayam based operators, so is the Kottayam Kumily. KSRTC has already created a dent in the Kumily route, they will wait till they move in.
prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 05:07   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Ernakulam Kottayam is served mainly by Kottayam based operators, so is the Kottayam Kumily. KSRTC has already created a dent in the Kumily route, they will wait till they move in.
Yep, I always use KSRTC when on the Kumily route. But the Ernakulam route needs some new KSRTC's badly. They are filled with the underpowered 1510's.
I don't enjoy the rash driving of the privates on the Ernakulam route.

P.S. - I think we should try and come back to the thread topic. Our current discussion can be carried on elsewhere.
Old 28th July 2010, 08:12   #124
Senior - BHPian

Not only the private buses carry students,pick and drop office buses and the intercity buses but the MRTC buses in Chennai also driven rashly. They do jump the traffic signals.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 08:16   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
However, what they do is: Pull out of the bus station on time, and then park outside the bus station for 5-10 more minutes. He'll move only when the next bus comes behind and honks him to move.
I'm assuming private buses have to pay to be able to use the station? Is it based on how long they are in there?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 08:25   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I'm assuming private buses have to pay to be able to use the station? Is it based on how long they are in there?
They do have to pay for using the bus station - but not based on how long they stay there. The charge is per day (IIRC, the charge at Guruvayur Bus Station was a meagre Rs. 5 per day a few months back). However, I believe they need to pay higher charges for parking overnight (not sure of this).
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 19:35   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Yep, I always use KSRTC when on the Kumily route. But the Ernakulam route needs some new KSRTC's badly. They are filled with the underpowered 1510's.
I don't enjoy the rash driving of the privates on the Ernakulam route.

P.S. - I think we should try and come back to the thread topic. Our current discussion can be carried on elsewhere.
Kottayam-kumily route also seems to have lot of underpowered 1510's which stuggle on the ghat and takes roughly for hours to do this stretch.The private well maintained leylands do it in about 3 and 1/2 hrs. The Only private bus i take in this route or the Kottayam- kattapana route is the Kondody Motors because they are rash.

One particular private bus to Kattapana starting from Kottayam at 5:50am, me and my brother call it the 'drifter'. I travelled on it once(even after my brother warned me about his previous experience on the same bus), and had a really bad journey. The driver simply doesn't believe in slowing down at the bends and turns in the ghat section.At least 4 people threw up on that journey. From then on i take the 6:05am KSRTC bus to kattapana.
conjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 02:09   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't believe Aluva-Paravur is under served. It has the old buses but there are quite a few of them. But Aluva-Perumbanoor is a puzzler alright.
Aluva-Perumbavoor Route had shortage of Bus Service(KSRTC).But ,IIRC 5-6 Months back ,KSRTC Started Ordinary Bus Service from Kothamangalam/Munnar/Adimaly to Ernakulam from Major Depots Via Perumbavoo-Aluva.I think This Step may have reduced the Shortage of Buses in Aluva-Perumbavoor Route.Besides ,the Regular Aluva-Muvattupuzha(And few New Services from Thodupuzha-Aluva) Ordinary Services also covers the ALV-PBVR Route.

Last edited by deepclutch : 29th July 2010 at 02:12.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 05:22   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
Kottayam-kumily route also seems to have lot of underpowered 1510's which stuggle on the ghat and takes roughly for hours to do this stretch.The private well maintained leylands do it in about 3 and 1/2 hrs. The Only private bus i take in this route or the Kottayam- kattapana route is the Kondody Motors because they are rash.

One particular private bus to Kattapana starting from Kottayam at 5:50am, me and my brother call it the 'drifter'. I travelled on it once(even after my brother warned me about his previous experience on the same bus), and had a really bad journey. The driver simply doesn't believe in slowing down at the bends and turns in the ghat section.At least 4 people threw up on that journey. From then on i take the 6:05am KSRTC bus to kattapana.
I once travelled on Sanmariya where the driver did the same as in your case. Just that this time, it was at dusk-night, with rain and fog in certain sections.

This is why private buses on these routes tend to carry polythene bags with them. It's kind of amazing to think that people still board the private buses knowing clearly their driving style.

Also, the night services (00AM-6AM) are all run very fast and rash due to next to nil traffic. Newer buses must be cracking 90-100 on the flatter and straighter areas.

Now I stick to KSRTC's. They give the better service these days. Plus if you get the Town to Town on Kottayam-Kumily route, it'll do the journey in 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 hours.
Old 29th July 2010, 08:05   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Aluva-Perumbavoor Route had shortage of Bus Service(KSRTC).But ,IIRC 5-6 Months back ,KSRTC Started Ordinary Bus Service from Kothamangalam/Munnar/Adimaly to Ernakulam from Major Depots Via Perumbavoo-Aluva.I think This Step may have reduced the Shortage of Buses in Aluva-Perumbavoor Route.Besides ,the Regular Aluva-Muvattupuzha(And few New Services from Thodupuzha-Aluva) Ordinary Services also covers the ALV-PBVR Route.
In fact, KSRTC has stepped up services on almost all routes out of Aluva. Even from Ernakulam, they've increased frequency on most routes towards Perumbavoor.

Recently, KSRTC also started Angamaly-Perumbavoor/Muvattupuzha chain services. I hear that those buses have good frequency (Just hearsay - not sure of the real status).
Old 29th July 2010, 15:44   #131
BHPian

Quote:
In fact, KSRTC has stepped up services on almost all routes out of Aluva. Even from Ernakulam, they've increased frequency on most routes towards Perumbavoor.

Recently, KSRTC also started Angamaly-Perumbavoor/Muvattupuzha chain services. I hear that those buses have good frequency (Just hearsay - not sure of the real status).
Ant idea about the Aluva - paravur road ?
prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 18:15   #132
BHPian

Default Bus Driver Education - Kerala style

Ok so you've decided to become a bus driver.

Step 1 : Join a private bus as a cleaner. Proceed to develop a good working relationship with the driver.

Step 2 : Use your "working relationship" with the driver to do small driving jobs like parking the bus in the bus bay. Shifting it to a new spot in mornings and so on

Step 3 : The bus driver gets a confidence in your "abilities" (read "half clutch" and "steering balance" - the only attributes that people think constitute "driving") - so he starts taking a break during those early morning runs and low rush hours.

Step 4 : You have slowly evolved into a driver as maniacal as your mentor or even worse depending on you natural "talent" for scaring the living daylights out of fellow drivers on the road and racing with your compatriots in other private buses.

Step 5 : Some where in the midst of all this you have managed to pass the financially "very tough" driving test and got a commercial drivers license.

Step 6 : Now you are an "expert" private bus driver and decide that time has come for some job security. Forward your application to the Kerala SRTC.

Step 7 : They hire you as a contract driver. Unionism has ensured that they barely have money to run their buses let alone pay the perks of a permanent employee.

Step 8 : Now the Kerala SRTC bus that you drive starts exhibiting rash behavior. Of course it is not your fault!! The BUS is MAD.

Step 9 : Now if you have powerful connections your "contract" job becomes permanent and the corporation gets saddled with you for life.

Folks I cannot comment on whether this is better or worse that other states. Frankly I do not care. What I know is that this is unacceptable to me here.

I consider the Kerala SRTC buses to be much better driven than private buses. One thing to remember is cases are rarely taken up in the case of an accident involving a private bus. But being a govt establishment an accident involving a KSRTC bus almost always becomes a case. So statistics are skewed in favor of the private buses IMHO.

The answer is better DRIVER EDUCATION and tougher licensing tests.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 29th July 2010 at 18:17.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 19:59   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ant idea about the Aluva - paravur road ?
There is an Ordinary service every 5-15 minutes (5 minutes at morning/evening, and 10-15 minutes otherwise) from 0515 to 2130 (ex-Parur).

There is a "Town Limited" service every 5-10 minutes (5 minutes at morning/evening, and 10-15 minutes otherwise) from 0615 to 2020 (ex-Parur). The end-to-end fare is Rs. 10, and the travel time is 60 minutes for Ordinary buses and 40 minutes for Town Limited Buses. (Town Limited buses save a huge amount of money since they stop only within Town Limits of Paravur and Aluva - making a total of hardly 10 stops).

Other than the dedicated Aluva-Paravur services, these are services like Munnar-Kodungallur/Guruvayur (Via Aluva, Paravur), Alappuzha-Kodungallur (Via Aluva, Paravur), Cherthala-Paravur (Via Aluva, Paravur) running as "Town Limited" in this section. Then there are Thrippunithura-Kakkanad-Aluva-Paravur Ordinary buses, plus lots of local services (Like Paravur-Thatthappilly, etc) serving many passengers on the route.

The service is frequent on this route - a route where KSRTC is "almost" doing justice.
Old 29th July 2010, 20:03   #134
BHPian

Quote:
There is an Ordinary service every 5-15 minutes (5 minutes at morning/evening, and 10-15 minutes otherwise) from 0515 to 2130 (ex-Parur).

There is a "Town Limited" service every 5-10 minutes (5 minutes at morning/evening, and 10-15 minutes otherwise) from 0615 to 2020 (ex-Parur). The end-to-end fare is Rs. 10, and the travel time is 60 minutes for Ordinary buses and 40 minutes for Town Limited Buses. (Town Limited buses save a huge amount of money since they stop only within Town Limits of Paravur and Aluva - making a total of hardly 10 stops).

Other than the dedicated Aluva-Paravur services, these are services like Munnar-Kodungallur/Guruvayur (Via Aluva, Paravur), Alappuzha-Kodungallur (Via Aluva, Paravur), Cherthala-Paravur (Via Aluva, Paravur) running as "Town Limited" in this section. Then there are Thrippunithura-Kakkanad-Aluva-Paravur Ordinary buses, plus lots of local services (Like Paravur-Thatthappilly, etc) serving many passengers on the route.

The service is frequent on this route - a route where KSRTC is "almost" doing justice.
The few times I've been on this route, I've seen it being served better than the Kottayam-Kumily route.
Old 29th July 2010, 22:27   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Step 6 : Now you are an "expert" private bus driver and decide that time has come for some job security. Forward your application to the Kerala SRTC..
If you are working member of the ruling party, you dont need prior experience in driving buses to apply for KSRTC driver position. I know many "Taxi" drivers with out any prior experience with Buses joined KSRTC...
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote