Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 20th June 2010, 19:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Before I delve more in to details, is there a 12M version with 62kW?
There is no 12m bus with 62KW engine.Infact none of the buses in Ashokleyland have such engines.

Quote:
Can anyone help with the engine options that are available on Cheetah now? I mean what engine could be powering the KeSRTC "Cut Chassis" (Short Wheel Base) buses?
ALPSV 4/100 - 176" WB
ALPSV 4/94 - 203" WB
ALPSV 4/95 - 210" WB
ALPSV 4/97 - 231" WB.
Engine - 6ETi 84KW - BS II complaint.

ALPSV 4/54 - 203" WB
ALPSV 4/55 - 210"WB
ALPSV 4/65 - 231"WB
Engine - 6DTi 97KW - BS II complaint

ALPSV 4/103 - 203" WB
ALPSV 4/104 - 210" WB
Engine - 123 KW - BS III complaint
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 20:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
1. In fact, I would be glad if you could prove me otherwise - just to update my knowledge. I was believing these were 114hp versions, until another friend of mine confirmed otherwise.

2. I beg to differ here. I have seen 114hp variant with the regular steering wheel. The point of difference here is the Gear lever, while juts out of the bonnet (like a TATA/Eicher) unlike the regular Leyland ones coming from behind the bonnet.

3.With KeSRTC, anything is possible! They were buying 132/114hp Leylands even when their TATAs were 1510s (which I believe were 97hp).

4. Can anyone help with the engine options that are available on Cheetah now? I mean what engine could be powering the KeSRTC "Cut Chassis" (Short Wheel Base) buses?
1.My post had some info about the difference in dashboard (instrument cluster) on AL12M 84Kw & other versions.

2.Till date i have not come across any 12M variant with normal viking type steering wheel.(Pls share if you have any images) I believe that would have been some aftermarket modifications. Just like we see some private AL Lynx buses in Ekm-Paroor route with Cheetah type steering wheel.

3.Please be informed that all Tata1510 (not 1510c) buses on road from April2005 had Tata697TCIC 129Hp engine fitted on it, even though they have changed the name to 1613Supermilo in 2008end only.

4.AFAIK, all cheetah cut-chassis BS2 buses of KeSRTC had the same 84Kw engine fitted on their vikings.

5.Also adding to Ashley2, currently Cheetah3/32 (203"WB)comes with H4cti 120Hp four cylinder BS2 engine.
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 21:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
There is no 12m bus with 62KW engine.Infact none of the buses in Ashokleyland have such engines.
Thanks for confirming.

Now, lets complicate matters further.

This is the RC entry for one 12M bus that KeSRTC operates. The bus is RAE791 (KL-15-7961). The Maker class is marked as "ALPSV 4/38 - 210 WB VIKING" and BHP as "84". Seating Capacity is shown as 62.

The same information is shown for KL-15-8004 (RAE815) as well.

KL-15-8071 (RAE839) has an interesting entry. The maker class is "ALPSV 4/38 - 210 WB VIKING", BHP is shown as "62" and seating is "62".

Is this 'maker class' entry correct?

AshLey2, can you do me a favour: If possible, can you please send me the list of engine options available for Leyland buses now - I mean the ones in 12M, Viking, Cheetah, Stag/Lynx, Panther, etc. You may post here or send me a PM. (I have copied down the details of Cheetah - so you may omit this one).
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 20:42   #19
BHPian

guys..

12M leyland is available in 2 engine configuration...

the normal 114 HP 5speed GB model is there. this one cannot support an engine driven ac and air suspension is not available as standard fitment too. So here AL is looking forward for intercity travel with high capacity.

Next is our 177HP model with 6speed ODGB, factory fitted air suspension and also provision for engine driven ac is the one which we normally see around.

again none of the 12M buses have come around with regular leyland steering wheel. its with the stag/lynx/cargo steering wheel.

to differentiate the model, 6 speed GB is over the bonet and other one seems to be the platform type...
urzdeepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:35   #20
BHPian

This is an awsome guys who love to see buses.

Picasa Web Albums - Sujith Bhakthan

Binai too has a good collection.

Two new Super express buses being build by KeSRTC. These are from Sujith Bhaktan's picasso album.
Attached Images

prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:46   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
5.Also adding to Ashley2, currently Cheetah3/32 (203"WB)comes with H4cti 120Hp four cylinder BS2 engine.
Are you sure about the Cheetah with H4CTi, AFAIK the only MDV bus with H4CTi with 88KW is Tarmac coach.
@Binaiks - Let me update you in a while.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Two new Super express buses being build by KeSRTC. These are from Sujith Bhaktan's picasso album.
The windshield looks bigger in this when compared to the normal KSRTC AL buses?
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post

Thats Picasa please

There is an interesting story behind those 12M buses (whose images you have attached above). These buses are built by Regional Workshop Edapal (in Malappuram District, Kerala). These buses reportedly have air-suspension for their rear-axles.

The interesting story is that, when these buses went for registration, they found that these buses were 20 centimetres longer than the permitted length - i.e., 20 cms more than 12 metres. If news paper reports are to be believed, some officials in KeSRTC knew this earlier. They claim that this happened because they wanted to accomodate a quarter glass ahead of the front door. (An After thought, perhaps). In fact, one image in Sujith's album would show excessive space between the bumper and the radiator.

I think this problem was solved (?) since this portion was non-weight bearing and hence would not cause operational difficulty.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:54   #24
BHPian

I think the design of the driver area is bad.
The driver sits high and away from the wiindow. So you can imagine the angle of view he'll have of the sides. Instead of making the driver window low and big enough to have a better view of the side, they've made it the same size as the passenger windows.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thats Picasa please
Is it ? I hope you know Picasso ?

These express buses are more Royal and suits the term 'Anavandi' more aptly. The air suspension would be gladly welcomed by the passengers. very nice indeed.

Now there is class differential between SF and SE , and also makes sense paying the extra money.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Comfort ride crunches profits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
When KSRTC is buying 1612Tata for super express class bus instead of Tata1616, are they foolish enough to go for AL12M (180Hp) version for Fast Passenger! Being a STU anything is possible....right!
Happened to read this Telegraph (Jun 22) article which is relevant in this context....The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Metro | Comfort ride crunches profits
Quote:
“The 16-tonne buses with 180 horsepower engines are not suitable as city transport. They are over-powered. Our old buses weighed 15 tonnes and had 120 horsepower engines, adequate for city roads. They yielded a mileage of 4km/l. With the new buses, we hardly get 2.5 km/l. They are not economically viable,” said Lakshi Narayan De, who plies a Tata Motors JNNURM bus on the Bagbazar-Jodhpur Park route....
His old bus had the chassis of Tata Motors but was built locally and gave a mileage of 4km/l. The other problem operators are facing with these buses is the cost of spares. “The windshield alone costs Rs 40,000.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I think the design of the driver area is bad.
The driver sits high and away from the wiindow. So you can imagine the angle of view he'll have of the sides. Instead of making the driver window low and big enough to have a better view of the side, they've made it the same size as the passenger windows.

-- Torqy

You got a point. The side window needs to be lower.
Attached Thumbnails
Ashok Leyland 12M-rne40.jpg  

Old 23rd June 2010, 16:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
There is one 12M bus model with 6ETi engine with 113 BHP and this is a 5Speed GB....
This variant has the regular AL steering wheel, and the regular gear-shift lever (behind engine-cover/bonnet). I have seen some TNSRTC UD (Ultra-Deluxe service) buses , which seem to be in this configuration.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:50   #29
BHPian

Here is another one from Sujith Bakthan's picassa web album and this one seems to have gear shift lever jutting out from behind the bonnet.This bus seems to have a gear liver like the ones in the normal vikings and a lynx type steering wheel. Looks like this is infact the 114BHP ETi engine.

Photo courtesy: Sujith Bakthan
Link:Picasa Web Albums - Sujith Bhakthan - Super Express...
Attached Images

Last edited by conjon : 23rd June 2010 at 17:53.
conjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 05:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
Here is another one from Sujith Bakthan's picassa web album and this one seems to have gear shift lever jutting out from behind the bonnet.This bus seems to have a gear liver like the ones in the normal vikings and a lynx type steering wheel. Looks like this is infact the 114BHP ETi engine.

Photo courtesy: Sujith Bakthan
Link:Picasa Web Albums - Sujith Bhakthan - Super Express...
In a way I'm happy that these buses are having a low-power engine instead of the 180-hp ones. Atleast the buses won't threaten you too-much on the roads. Because no matter how good the bus is; the driver's style will make you change your mind.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote