Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 16th July 2010, 22:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I don't think there are any missing switches here - the holes seem like a template: just a provision to add something in the future (this is purely a personal view).
You may be right, but i cannot believe AL does this, at least they should put some dummy switches to cover it up. This looks like some thing fall off. Also i noticed most of the KerRTC AL buses, the speedo meter is not functional.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 05:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
You may be right, but i cannot believe AL does this, at least they should put some dummy switches to cover it up. This looks like some thing fall off. Also i noticed most of the KerRTC AL buses, the speedo meter is not functional.
I think it's a template as well. But in the same breath, they should be covered by dummy switches. Anyway, it isn't such a big deal.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 22:54   #48
BHPian

The original the photoshopped one.
Attached Images

prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 06:32   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
I'd still take the original. Sorry.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 17:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
I'd still take the original. Sorry.
:(

Anyways i just hope KeSRTC decides to change the interiors to less bling one.
prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 18:25   #51
BHPian

Quote:

Anyways i just hope KeSRTC decides to change the interiors to less bling one.
That bling is too annoying just from the pictures. It'd be worse when you have to stare into it during your journey,
Old 18th August 2010, 09:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
That bling is too annoying just from the pictures. It'd be worse when you have to stare into it during your journey,
But that's nothing compared to the bling seen in MTC city buses and TNSTC long distance buses
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 11:14   #53
BHPian

True! But Bling sells! "It don't Mean a Thing if it ain't got that Bling"

That is why you see private buses have Fancy horns, Psychedlic paint, Fancy stickers, Home theater systems, four (yes four) TVs and that side indicators which blink like serial bulbs (la UFO effect). Not to be outdone the government buses also join in and you can see buses with varying color and patterns.
The next step is changing the texture of body panels and then you will have Saravana stores, Pothys on roads
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 11:46   #54
BHPian

Default Re: Ashok Leyland 12M

After experimenting with 'Globus', it seems KeSRTC has gone back to building bodies in pappanamcode workshop. These contraptions which they churn out in KeSRTC workshops don't even last a couple of years in good condition and start rattling while on the move. I've noticed that the rattles are a little more if the bus is a Leyland. All this, when KSRTC in karnataka and SETC(TNSTC) in TN run on Prakash and Veeravahana bodies for their Intercity buses. Some organizations never change, KeSRTC is one of them.
SAE40 in veins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 13:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
After experimenting with 'Globus', it seems KeSRTC has gone back to building bodies in pappanamcode workshop.
Aren't both these in different segments? Globus were air-conditioned buses, while the workshop builds only non-ac buses. KeSRTC builds their buses are five workshops: Central Works (Pappanamcode, TVM) and Regional works at Kozhikode, Edappal, Aluva and Mavelikara.

Quote:
These contraptions which they churn out in KeSRTC workshops don't even last a couple of years in good condition and start rattling while on the move. I've noticed that the rattles are a little more if the bus is a Leyland.
Great finding! KeSRTC still has 14 year old buses in good state! Plus, one needs to consider the state of Kerala roads before you make this comment. The inexistent roads makes the bodies rattle in no time. The Globuses started rattling just one month after they hit the road!!!

Quote:
All this, when KSRTC in karnataka and SETC(TNSTC) in TN run on Prakash and Veeravahana bodies for their Intercity buses. Some organizations never change, KeSRTC is one of them.
You need to check this statement again! KaSRTC gets only their Rajahamsa/Meghadoota buses built from Veera/Prakash. A good majority of the regular buses they use are built by their own workshops or by body building units like KMS, Shakti, etc.

SETC stopped buying Prakash/Veera/Irizar buses long back. All their new buses are built by their own workshop at Nagarcoil. Same is the case with TNSTCs - 90% of their buses are built by in-house workshops. Same is the case with MTC. A good majority of their buses are built by in-house workshops.

The quality of body builders at Karur is no better - these buses start rattling in less than a year.

KeSRTC reverted to in-house body building in an attempt to cut costs. The quality of buses built by body building units were no better (Especially those built by REC and the likes. Popular and Irizar made much better bodies). The quality of bodies built by KeSRTC workshops (barring their Central Works) is better than most of the Karur bodies.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 15:14   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Aren't both these in different segments? Globus were air-conditioned buses, while the workshop builds only non-ac buses. KeSRTC builds their buses are five workshops: Central Works (Pappanamcode, TVM) and Regional works at Kozhikode, Edappal, Aluva and Mavelikara.
I Agree on this point.

Quote:
You need to check this statement again! KaSRTC gets only their Rajahamsa/Meghadoota buses built from Veera/Prakash. A good majority of the regular buses they use are built by their own workshops or by body building units like KMS, Shakti, etc.
I meant 'Interstate' buses but wrote 'Intercity'

Quote:
SETC stopped buying Prakash/Veera/Irizar buses long back. All their new buses are built by their own workshop at Nagarcoil. Same is the case with TNSTCs - 90% of their buses are built by in-house workshops. Same is the case with MTC. A good majority of their buses are built by in-house workshops.
Maybe, but the 'Interstate' bus bodies do look and feel like Prakash bodies and not like age old tin boxes.

Quote:
The quality of body builders at Karur is no better - these buses start rattling in less than a year.
I don vouch for Karur, coimbatore or Madurai either, the ones like Royal and Linga(Royal though is much better than Linga).

Quote:
KeSRTC reverted to in-house body building in an attempt to cut costs. The quality of buses built by body building units were no better (Especially those built by REC and the likes. Popular and Irizar made much better bodies). The quality of bodies built by KeSRTC workshops (barring their Central Works) is better than most of the Karur bodies.
Now let me get into the crux of the issue which i actually sidestepped in my earlier post. There was a huge hue and cry about KSRTC buses not being well maintained compared to the private buses in Kerala and also the fact that private buses had two doors and facilitated easy ingress and egress for ladies from the frontside whereas in a crowded KSRTC bus with just the single rear door, life actually becomes hell for the ladies. Also the red color and rattles came in for debate. The then transport minister tried to get the bodies built outside so as to attract more passengers when the workshops actually 'failed' to rise to the occasion. This plan was abandoned due to stiff resistance from the unions who demanded that the bodies be built by them alone.

Just to give another example of how stupid the unions are. When KeSRTC introduced the 'VOLVO' service, the bus came with a trained driver from 'Volvo' for the initial pilot runs( Trivandrum - Kozhikkode route). At some depot, the militant unions demanded that the driver get down and let a KeSRTC driver drive the 'Volvo'. Even after officials explaining that a B7R requires training, the stupid union guys had their way and one of them actually took the wheel. Needless to say, the bus met with an accident immediately after that.

Last edited by SAE40 in veins : 27th December 2010 at 15:17.
SAE40 in veins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 16:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe, but the 'Interstate' bus bodies do look and feel like Prakash bodies and not like age old tin boxes.
Depends on an individual's viewpoint - I feel the new KaSRTC Expresses look poorer than before. Same with the TNSTC buses. The new SETC buses look like they went back by a decade. I don't claim that the KeSRTC buses look good, but they are functional.

Quote:
This plan was abandoned due to stiff resistance from the unions who demanded that the bodies be built by them alone.
But the workshops are now doing a great job! The new KeSRTC buses are really comfortable, and the double-door design has helped KeSRTC win a lot of passengers. The body quality of all workshops (except Central Works) is great. Buses built by CW have really poor quality - especially the body profile is wavy.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 17:55   #58
BHPian

Quote:
But the workshops are now doing a great job! The new KeSRTC buses are really comfortable, and the double-door design has helped KeSRTC win a lot of passengers. The body quality of all workshops (except Central Works) is great. Buses built by CW have really poor quality - especially the body profile is wavy.
+1 to that. Having seen the horrendous quality of the newer Kondody-bodied private buses, KeSRTC's self made bodies seem to exude quality.

I do agree CW bodies lack the quality of Kozhikode or Edappal bodies.
Old 27th December 2010, 18:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Okay here's my take... taking inspiration from volvo and prakash P8000s...

Larger air dams, dual headlights with integrated turn indicators and racing inspired scooped bumper...
Name:  ksrtc1.jpg
Views: 14637
Size:  102.8 KB
rajeshsundaram is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 17:39   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

This is first 12M given with Intercentury Coach.
Vehicle is run by Sri Vijayalakshmi Travels running between Chennai - Salem.
Its a first of its kind with in India with a engine driven AC.
Launched in 2006 and its still running fine.
Name:  P240711_16.28.jpg
Views: 4738
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  P240711_16.30.jpg
Views: 4367
Size:  140.9 KB

Name:  P240711_16.31_02.jpg
Views: 3970
Size:  146.5 KB

Name:  P240711_16.32.jpg
Views: 9431
Size:  160.7 KB

Check the Intercentury logo.
Surprisingly this vehicle is still with the factory painted paint work and the FC's are passed in the same condition.
This is something unusual for a commercial vehicle
Name:  P240711_16.22.jpg
Views: 3634
Size:  117.2 KB

Last edited by Ashley2 : 10th September 2011 at 17:41.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote