Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 18th August 2010, 12:25   #16
BHPian

OK, OK. . coming back to buses.

Firstly, the bus operators never force you to board the overcrowded bus. It is upto us, either to board or keep waiting for an empty bus.

Bus drivers [city buses] do there best to avoid over crowding by not stopping at certain stops, stopping away from the bus-stops etc, so that people may not board the bus.

But it is the comman man, in a hurry to go office or home, who risks his own life.

I think, apart from govt, the commuters are also equally responsible for breaking the law.
WDM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 13:33   #17
BHPian

In Kerala the Express, Lightening Express buses etc used to only carry seated passengers - no standees. Tickets would be sold in advance for the number of seats in the bus. Once the bus was full, the door would be shut and no more allowed. These buses had very limited stops and were a faster way to get from city to city. I'm not sure on how it is now. But come to think of it, by the way that they drive there was no way that folks could stand in there.

Last edited by SafeDrive : 18th August 2010 at 13:35.
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 15:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
In Kerala the Express, Lightening Express buses etc used to only carry seated passengers - no standees....I'm not sure on how it is now. But come to think of it, by the way that they drive there was no way that folks could stand in there.
KSRTC no more operates Lightning Expresses. They do carry standing passengers in Super Expresses these days.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 16:54   #19
BHPian

With state government buses i am more worried about

1. Condition of the buses (They tend to fail more often than private operators)
2. Never working brake & tail lights
3. Some times no wipers on windshield
4. Worn out tires

On a personal note, the cleanliness inside the bus.
visu03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 19:32   #20
BHPian

Even the BTS Volvo's in Bangalore carry standing passengers. At peak time they load up as much as they can, you literally have to stand on one leg.

I guess even if we enforce such rules, what will the people do ? They have to commute and I don't think our Infrastructure today can support that many buses so that everyone gets a seat.

Think about the local trains in Mumbai at peak time. If they have to seat everyone they need to keep running a train every 30 seconds

Last edited by Fillmore : 18th August 2010 at 19:34.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
KSRTC no more operates Lightning Expresses.
That is sad - it was a fast way to get from TVM to EKM although maybe not for others on the road. I remember the launch of these during my college days. There was a good amount of publicity on the bus being able to do TVM to EKM in less than 5 hours. Well guess what - for the inaugral run, the bus had a puncture on the way and that was the end of the 5 hour trip

Coming back to the topic, even if the regulations are to be enforced how will a conductor in a bus prevent additional people from getting into a bus at a very crowded bus stop? There has to be another mechanism for this otherwise he will get lynched.

Last edited by SafeDrive : 19th August 2010 at 09:54.
Old 19th August 2010, 10:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What purpose will this serve?
Several points actually;
1. If the Govt cannot adhere to its own law why impose it? Pull away such things
2. Allow more private participation if the Govt cannot handle them all instead of violating
3. Last but not the least, the justice & RTO dept knows this violation, but still they keep quiet instead of generating revenue from the Govt; why alone the private players suffer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
Bus drivers [city buses] do there best to avoid over crowding by not stopping at certain stops, stopping away from the bus-stops etc, so that people may not board the bus.
+1; also this can be done to avoid over crowding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Coming back to the topic, even if the regulations are to be enforced how will a conductor in a bus prevent additional people from getting into a bus at a very crowded bus stop? There has to be another mechanism for this otherwise he will get lynched.
^^^ above point is one option; another option is to be played by the Govt to say strictly that no over crowding OR conductor holds the key role in controlling the number of passengers to be boarded.

If there's violation, then it is to be handled the same way it is being handled for pick pocket case, eve teasing inside the bus. Trust me, it will work out.

PS - we see all the Govt buses blocking the way so that other vehicles cannot overtake them when they're in the bus stops (atleast here in TN) & still none of us question them. If this can be implemented without law, overcrowdinding, actually a wrong term, I like to say law violation, can also be implemented.

PPS - I'm really surprised to see none of us here are able to accept this as a law; everyone tends to overlook the law over practical reasons.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 11:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
PPS - I'm really surprised to see none of us here are able to accept this as a law; everyone tends to overlook the law over practical reasons.
Guess it's just never been implemented ever for it to be a "law"