Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 6th October 2010, 18:32   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Actually, if the same thing is used everywhere, will it not make more sense economically? Just a thought.
Could be considered but depending upon the various parameters this has not evolved. May be when it is to be commonised other parts may also need to undergo a change.
Quote:
In that case, it's an altogether different matter. BUT, why do I see the same Instrument cluster, same switchgear etc in TM and Eicher buses and trucks? Only my observation. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Here I have an opinion. If you take a Northeren or North eastern registered trucks they never alter the FES and the body is built over them without any much change.But if its an southern especially TN vehicle almost 50% of FES is altered. No idea why it is done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I though we are discussing about making AL a better product. :-D
Agreed.

Quote:
I am afraid you got that very wrong. The same body builders would not touch the instrument cluster on a Tata chassis. Ever wondered why?
No idea but partly because of the earlier designs were not that catchy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
The tacho meter is not retro fitted by any customer. AL supplies this as OE in some models only. For eg. Viking222 BS2 supplied to KeSRTC has the tacho fitted as OE. But for a private customer buying Viking222BS2 will not get the same. This is from my personal experience.
Yes as it required by customer, here in the case its KeSRTC requires and so it is provided. But I am not sure that there is no tacho for other customers.

Quote:
Please note that "truck" type "combined instrument cluster unit" has started comming in 12M, LynxBS3 and StagBS3 very recently only. You will not find any private build buses with tampered unit of same kind. Its was the IVECO Cargo type instrument cluster which was supplied as OE in 12M / stag / lynx earlier and it was usually modified by body builders (b'cos of poor quality of plastic panels used).
Yes tats is true. Am aware of that

Quote:
Please not that the Tata buses build by these local/ private bodybuilders do not have these alterations. Why?
I dont agree with this point. Just check any of the coaches built by SMK, Azad or Veera. They will have a same ther own style of dash board only and no matter it is AL/TML/VECV
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 19:20   #152
BHPian

Guys, let's not get off-topic now!
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 10:44   #153
BHPian

Ok Raj bhai.. Time's up. come out of ur break.. Updates pls..
jayakumarkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 12:15   #154
Senior - BHPian

:-)

The delay is because of AL sales guys. As the price hike was coming up, they were really reluctant to send the quotations previous month.

finally, they have sent the quotation of the AL 4/83 which is 11-11.5 lakhs (cant reveal the exact price). radial tyres & air suspension will cost extra. Delivery is within 3 days but we dont want the chassis so soon as Prakash will accept the chassis only by december 1st week. so we will be booking the chassis by mid-november .
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 13:04   #155
Senior - BHPian

Hey Raj, had a question. Which is the cheapest chassis? Is it the TATA 1510 or the AL Viking?
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 14:48   #156
Senior - BHPian

Arun, Tatas used to cost about 20-25K less when the prices were in the 4-5 lakh range. For a small time commercial operator owning one bus financed at 24 to 30% interest (nah, it is actually "hire purchase"), who operates on wafer thin margins and leads a hand to mouth existence, even now, that translates to a substantial sum.

That is a significant reason you will find Tata buses more in short haul / city service buses, which are operated by marginal / small owners.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 17:01   #157
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arun, we have not taken quotations of any TATA chassis, so i wont be able to comment on that.
Old 16th October 2010, 20:31   #158
BHPian

Nice to know the thread's active once more. I almost thought it was dying.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 21:48   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arun, Tatas used to cost about 20-25K less when the prices were in the 4-5 lakh range. For a small time commercial operator owning one bus financed at 24 to 30% interest (nah, it is actually "hire purchase"), who operates on wafer thin margins and leads a hand to mouth existence, even now, that translates to a substantial sum.

That is a significant reason you will find Tata buses more in short haul / city service buses, which are operated by marginal / small owners.
Yeah, even I remember the times when you had chassis for 5 lakhs. There were only two models with TATA, the 1312 without front overhand in 5200 and 5900 wheelbase and AL made the 222 and 210 VIKING. Those where the days when AL customers were apprehensive to touch HINO engines and went for the age old AL engines, the ones that made awesome music, naturally aspirated and no turbo charger.

Nowadays there is so much choice. You can have whatever you want. I never thought you would have a 12M chassis with all round air-suspension and AC running off the engine.

Another thought. The 12M bus was brought into existence to provide competition to the VOLVO, with the 12M, customers could get the VOLVO 'looks', same number of seats, AC and supple ride though not in VOLVO league. What AL missed was the manouveribility that the VOLVO has. Though the AL and VOLVO are both 12M, the VOLVO is more manouverable . How? Since the VOLVO has no engine in front, its front wheels are able to turn more and provide a smaller turning radius while AL has a chassis and engine that limits the extent to which the wheels turn.

I'm glad Raj did not go for the 12M because it would have been a handful to drive. Its an unnatural chassis and should be scrapped . The PANTHER is there to replace it.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:46   #160
Senior - BHPian

We finally got the final quotation from AL today. It got delayed because we wanted 10.00x20 Radial tyres pre-fitted by AL (so that we dont have to modify the details in RC book later). We are booking the chassis today & we want the delivery by mid-november so that we can fit the air suspension (Wheels India) from TVS & then drive the chassis to bangalore (Prakash) by december 1st.

So the final specs as mentioned in Quotation is-

ASHOK LEYLAND VIKING ALPSV 4/83 - 5639MM (222") WB passenger chassis fitted with 'H' Series 6DTI (BS-III) diesel engine, 5 speed syncromesh gearbox, power steering, rubber ended suspension in front and rear, rim, passenger cowl, driverseat, mirror LH/RH (one each), noise shield, ASA, tool kit, CMVR kit & 7 Nos. 10.00x20-16 PR Radial tyres.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:59   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
ASHOK LEYLAND VIKING ALPSV 4/83 - 5639MM (222") WB passenger chassis fitted with 'H' Series 6DTI (BS-III) diesel engine, 5 speed syncromesh gearbox, power steering, rubber ended suspension in front and rear, rim, passenger cowl, driverseat, mirror LH/RH (one each), noise shield, ASA, tool kit, CMVR kit & 7 Nos. 10.00x20-16 PR Radial tyres.
raj, doesn't it come with Air Suspension at the rear? And can you tell me what this noise shield is - is it some sort of insulating material under the hood?
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 12:03   #162
Senior - BHPian

Raj, now for some clarifications.

1. I cant recall the tyre specs for our buses, but does changing crossply to radial tyres really require changes in the RC?? If the tyre diameter does not change, IMO, this is not required.

2. What are the "noise shield, ASA" thingies??

3. 222" WB viking is longer than 222" WB 12M chassis?? Or am I getting my math wrong? Or did get something wrong?

4. 5 speed gear box still means 1 crawler gear and 4 forward gears for normal use, right? (we discussed this in your other thread, but I just want to confirm).

5. What happened to the air suspension? I thought you would go for rear air suspension? If you take air suspension as after market fitment, would not it be a loss of money if you go for weveller suspension in the rear right now? (I guess it costs extra?)

(edit - read 5 as "does not that chassis come with factory fitted air suspension? Sorry, did not read your post closely enough)

6. What about the front end structure? The quote is for a chassis w/o FES, right?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 26th October 2010 at 12:06.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 14:31   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
raj, doesn't it come with Air Suspension at the rear? And can you tell me what this noise shield is - is it some sort of insulating material under the hood?
No. AL 4/83 comes with rubber ended front & rear suspension, no air suspension as option. the brochure mentions even rubber ended suspension as an optional fitment though the quotation we got mentions it as a standard fitment.

You are right about the Noise shield.

Quote:
Raj, now for some clarifications.

1. I cant recall the tyre specs for our buses, but does changing crossply to radial tyres really require changes in the RC?? If the tyre diameter does not change, IMO, this is not required.
Changing Nylon to Radial does not require any changes in RC book if tyre dia is the same.

in our case, standard fitment is 9" tyres & we are fitting 10" Radial tyres. So changes in RC book is mandatory. hence we are ordering the optional 10" Radial tyres so that the chassis comes with it & changes in RC book is not required.

they cost Rs. 24,000 extra.

Quote:
2. What are the "noise shield, ASA" thingies??
noise shield is an insulating layer under the hood but i am not sure what ASA is.

Quote:
3. 222" WB viking is longer than 222" WB 12M chassis?? Or am I getting my math wrong? Or did get something wrong?
No. 222" Viking is 10816 mm long whereas 12M is 11800/12000 mm long.

Quote:
4. 5 speed gear box still means 1 crawler gear and 4 forward gears for normal use, right? (we discussed this in your other thread, but I just want to confirm).
you are right.

Quote:
5. What happened to the air suspension? I thought you would go for rear air suspension? If you take air suspension as after market fitment, would not it be a loss of money if you go for weveller suspension in the rear right now? (I guess it costs extra?)

(edit - read 5 as "does not that chassis come with factory fitted air suspension? Sorry, did not read your post closely enough)
No factory fitted air suspension in Viking.

Only 12M chassis with 177 hp, 181 hp (BSIII) & 205 hp engines & AL Luxura bus comes with front & rear AIR suspension as standard fitment.

Quote:
6. What about the front end structure? The quote is for a chassis w/o FES, right?
Yes, the quote is for chassis without FES.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 26th October 2010 at 14:33.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:36   #164
Senior - BHPian

Good Raj!
Overall package looks great.
just for info - 222" can never be longer than 12M chassis.
WB:
222" - 5.8M
12M - 6.2M
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 23:30   #165
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj,

Would it be possible to mention how much the chassis cost?

If there are problems giving out the exact figure, then a ball-park figure will also do