Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2011, 22:33   #331
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

I have asked them to check the air pressure of all the tyres twice a month. It costs only Rs. 100 though.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 19:51   #332
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have asked them to check the air pressure of all the tyres twice a month. It costs only Rs. 100 though.
Raj, what is the frequency at which you are changing engine oil.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 23:40   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

Two pics of the hatrack of the AC vents showing the reading lights & AC vents -
Attached Thumbnails
An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered-dsc_0379.jpg  

An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered-dsc_0380.jpg  

raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 06:25   #334
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

The shots of the hatrack showing the vents were welcome. I particularly liked the grab handles behind the seats, they help a lot albeit contributing to the wear and tear of the seat.

It's good that the new body building norms are coming into place. Is there any place on the web where we could take a look at what those norms are?

I saw a SISIRA mini coach the other day, Air-conditioned, it looked beautiful, something like a mini VOLVO. Sad that they will be shutting shop
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 16:38   #335
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The shots of the hatrack showing the vents were welcome. I particularly liked the grab handles behind the seats, they help a lot albeit contributing to the wear and tear of the seat.

It's good that the new body building norms are coming into place. Is there any place on the web where we could take a look at what those norms are?
Thanks. But sadly, we may have to change the seats.

Our bus currently has Vectra seats. They are super comfortable & we paid a premium for it. Our bus has 36 seats in interests of legroom & comfort.

But I guess nobody in Kerela cares for comfort. All they want is "49 seats". Our AC bus is not doing good business compared to the rest of the buses & the reason is that it is a 36 seater & not a 49 seater.

So we are planning to convert it into a 49 seater AC bus. Yes, the seats will be from Harita (not as plush as these ones), it will not be push back/reclining and it will not have so much legroom either.

Right now, even I can sit in any seat & stretch my legs and relax (I am 6'2"). But I guess thats not what is expected...

Quote:
I saw a SISIRA mini coach the other day, Air-conditioned, it looked beautiful, something like a mini VOLVO. Sad that they will be shutting shop
Good news. Sisira is not shutting shop. Infact they have now revamped their garage. They have also acquired an AL dealership.

We spoke to them for the seat conversion mentioned above.


Meanwhile, running report of the AC bus -

Odo reading = 15455
Expenses on maintainence from April '11 till date (fuel not included) = Rs. 39,953/-
Running cost (excluding fuel) = Rs. 2.5/km
Fuel efficiency = 2.5 with AC, 3.0 without AC

Last edited by raj_5004 : 31st December 2011 at 16:39.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 22:44   #336
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

Raj, any idea why is the running expenses of AC bus is so high.

Also fuel efficiency quoted also seems to be low. Is this for ghat or open road or combined?

Last edited by Ashley2 : 31st December 2011 at 22:54.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 08:48   #337
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

AC bus had one accident in Tamil Nadu, so the repair cost is included here. also, it needs AC servicing, etc. I can give you a detailed list of maintenance tomorrow if you want.

The running expense of the AC bus is much more buddy. I have not included the tax & fuel bills. Also, since it is a 165 bhp engine, they say the mileage is expected. It is for combined.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 13:18   #338
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
AC bus had one accident in Tamil Nadu, so the repair cost is included here. also, it needs AC servicing, etc. I can give you a detailed list of maintenance tomorrow if you want.

The running expense of the AC bus is much more buddy. I have not included the tax & fuel bills. Also, since it is a 165 bhp engine, they say the mileage is expected. It is for combined.
Ok, I guesses that but I felt that was for a Non AC ones.
BTW, as you know tyres are the second higher running expense next to fuel, I sincerely suggest you to switch to 295 section tyres.
I Visited Calicut region some time back and I found almost 80% of pvt operators have switched on 295 section tyres.

I can provide more details if required.

An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered-p141111_12.54.jpg

An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered-p141111_08.37_01.jpg
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 21:55   #339
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

The AC Bus has a sunken gangway, so its going to be near impossible to get 2x3 seats fitted in it. What can be done is fitting 2x2 seats with no push-back facility. You could use the same seats with the push-back facility disabled and get some additional seats, I think 12 rows can be fit, pushing the capacity up to 48 seats
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:33   #340
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
....
So we are planning to convert it into a 49 seater AC bus. Yes, the seats will be from Harita (not as plush as these ones), it will not be push back/reclining and it will not have so much legroom either....
Raj, assuming that you remove all the seats and fit in with a new 3x2 set of seats - rows, how do you manage the AC ducts position made as per 2x2 seating layout for 10 rows.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:53   #341
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
BTW, as you know tyres are the second higher running expense next to fuel, I sincerely suggest you to switch to 295 section tyres.
I Visited Calicut region some time back and I found almost 80% of pvt operators have switched on 295 section tyres.
You are totally correct, tyres are a huge expense.

Why do you suggest the 295 section tyres? Any advantages in terms of economics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The AC Bus has a sunken gangway, so its going to be near impossible to get 2x3 seats fitted in it. What can be done is fitting 2x2 seats with no push-back facility. You could use the same seats with the push-back facility disabled and get some additional seats, I think 12 rows can be fit, pushing the capacity up to 48 seats
We are not planning a 2x3, our current non AC buses are 2x2.

We showed our bus to Sisira & they recommended getting all new seats and sell off the existing ones. They will also need to do a new flooring for the bus now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Raj, assuming that you remove all the seats and fit in with a new 3x2 set of seats - rows, how do you manage the AC ducts position made as per 2x2 seating layout for 10 rows.
The AC ducts will remain where they are. The entire bus has additional AC vents running along the centre passage. Also, the AC is a chiller & freezes the cabin within no time, much more than our passenger cars.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:04   #342
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
You are totally correct, tyres are a huge expense.

Why do you suggest the 295 section tyres? Any advantages in terms of economics? .
yes, It has good economics and you will save more/tyre.

The normal life of 295/80 R 22.5 is atleast 50% to 60% higher than normal radial tyres. ( even the retread life is higher comparitively)
Also as these are tubeless tyres the chance of tyre puncture is very less.
Apart from this replacement cost of tube, flop is also eliminated completely .

Over all life cycle cost will be reduced by 35%(min)

Cost of tyres(for a pair) :
Michelins :~53,000
Bridgestone/MRF/JK/Ceat : 46,000
Retread cost : ~5200

Cost of 8.25" rims : ~ 6500/rim

Buyback of old 7.5"rims :~2000/rim
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:20   #343
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
yes, It has good economics and you will save more/tyre.

The normal life of 295/80 R 22.5 is atleast 50% to 60% higher than normal radial tyres. ( even the retread life is higher comparitively)
Also as these are tubeless tyres the chance of tyre puncture is very less.
Apart from this replacement cost of tube, flop is also eliminated completely .

Over all life cycle cost will be reduced by 35%(min)

Cost of tyres(for a pair) :
Michelins :~53,000
Bridgestone/MRF/JK/Ceat : 46,000
Retread cost : ~5200

Cost of 8.25" rims : ~ 6500/rim

Buyback of old 7.5"rims :~2000/rim
That means I will have to spend approx 1.6 lakhs for each bus!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:20   #344
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
That means I will have to spend approx 1.6 lakhs for each bus!
Yes, this is a conversion cost and ill pay you back accordingly.

I can also suggest you do it phase by phase starting from RA and then to FA.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:05   #345
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered

Maintainence cost in the month of Jan '12:

Rs. 200/- only!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suzuki Baleno (Type-III/Euro-III) Oxygen Sensor Info sarbashishb Technical Stuff 12 17th September 2015 09:26
Ashok Leyland Viking Ashley2 Commercial Vehicles 90 19th January 2015 19:18
Pajero BS III or IV EDIT - Bought BS III maheshramaling SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 61 24th September 2012 11:36
Bus Body on AE 12M and Viking Chassis ascertain Commercial Vehicles 3 22nd June 2012 16:42
Remembrance - Bajaj Tempo Matador's sibling, the Viking rajeev k Post-War 9 17th April 2011 13:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks