Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 17th September 2010, 16:35   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

@ ontheroad: thanks a lot buddy. that was really helpful. i can see the side compartments has vents, so maybe that is where the slave engine for AC is installed. i can see he has two basstubes & two laser lights in the bus! is this necessary in an AC bus? i thought AC bus is all about luxury. such laser shows are preferred by college students right? will college students hire an AC bus?
That bus is booked for both Non AC and AC trips. So it also have sliding window. The conductor told that if the go for only AC trips, the usage will be low.
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 16:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Ashley: Prakash says, for a 40 seater, they need 12M chassis.
I might be wrong then..
I thought 12M can take upto 44 seats. But take the words from Prakash.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 17:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

The bus posted by ontheroad has 5639mm wheel base, is 114 HP. 6 cyl engine,

Tax amount paid is 10,000/- (so deduct the number of seats!!!)

Check the info on Kerala MVD site.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 22:17   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Are you sure they said Mahindra Jeep or Amby engine
I assume the main reason is availability. May be Tata Nano engine is enough to power the A/C but where can we get one?
Another reason i can think of issues with Slave engine is how it is installed/mounted. How the engine vibration is absorbed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Booked the attached bus for a Kodaikanal trip next weekend.
May be you should take Raj_500 also with you for the Kodaikanal trip ( kidding ), so he could get first hand information.

Last edited by teamveevee : 17th September 2010 at 22:20.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 22:24   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
That's a Viking for sure. Looks like the 10816mm, 132PS version.
Looks like even prakash officials are confused somewhere, if this is a Viking with 40 P/B seats!

Both Sisira & prakash told us that Viking can have only 35 P/B seats, then what is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
This is not what i want when i book an A/c airbus.
what do you expect buddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
That bus is booked for both Non AC and AC trips. So it also have sliding window. The conductor told that if the go for only AC trips, the usage will be low.
same issue in our case too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I might be wrong then..
I thought 12M can take upto 44 seats. But take the words from Prakash.
I am super confused about the chassis & number of seats possible now, since even coach builders are giving contradictory answers.

guys, can we be 200% sure that the white bus is a Viking chassis & not 12M?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 05:26   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that white bus is surely a Viking. A 12M would have had longer overhangs, and one would have easily spotted that out.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 09:14   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like even prakash officials are confused somewhere, if this is a Viking with 40 P/B seats!

Both Sisira & prakash told us that Viking can have only 35 P/B seats, then what is this?
I guess they are stating it based on the best configuration. I remember, the AC buses constructed by KaSRTC under the "Mayura" brand used to be Vikings, and they had 36 seats.

Quote:
This is certainly a Viking. Look at the front overhang.

Viking can have 40 p/b seats with judicious space utilisation. The "Super Deluxe Air Bus" introduced by KeSRTC in 2008 were built on Viking Chassis. All these buses had 40 p/b seats. But then, these buses do not have a partition for the driver cabin. Have attached a pic of KeSRTC's Super Deluxe (don't mind the looks - these buses are built by KeSRTC's own workshops.). They have adequate leg room, and have still packed 40 seats.
Attached Thumbnails
An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered-p1430198.jpg  

binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 09:27   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
Yes, that white bus is surely a Viking. A 12M would have had longer overhangs, and one would have easily spotted that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I guess they are stating it based on the best configuration. I remember, the AC buses constructed by KaSRTC under the "Mayura" brand used to be Vikings, and they had 36 seats.

This is certainly a Viking. Look at the front overhang.

Viking can have 40 p/b seats with judicious space utilisation. The "Super Deluxe Air Bus" introduced by KeSRTC in 2008 were built on Viking Chassis. All these buses had 40 p/b seats. But then, these buses do not have a partition for the driver cabin. Have attached a pic of KeSRTC's Super Deluxe (don't mind the looks - these buses are built by KeSRTC's own workshops.). They have adequate leg room, and have still packed 40 seats.
yes, that makes sense. So i would prefer to go for a BS3 165 hp Viking chassis with 40 P/B seats with AC running on main engine. I would have to get Air suspension fitted & like earlier, we would prefer Wheels India as TVS is it's dealer & we can get the AS fitted from TVS.

I have still not got the quotation from AL. I am also waiting for a response from Irizar TVS. I am more inclined towards Irizar whereas my elder bother prefers Prakash. Even i wont mind Prakash if their new model P9000 looks good.
Old 18th September 2010, 10:36   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am with you...
Its a Viking and not 12M.No Doubt in it.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 14:59   #85
Senior - BHPian

BAD NEWS FRIENDS.

Got a response from Irizar TVS. They are quoting a price of approx 22 lakhs without tax for the body, interiors & AC (excluding chassis cost).

On the other hand, Prakash's price is approx 16L for the same. thats a HUGE difference. I really wanted to try Irizar TVS even though my father & brother were reluctant. Looks like its going to be Prakash now as we wont be paying Rs. 6L premium to Irizar.

One thing is cleared after talking to Mr. Srinivas from Irizar:

The Viking chassis can only accommodate 36 P/B seats comfortably. If we want, we can squeeze in 4 more seats by compromising on legroom making it a 40 seater P/B.

On the other hand, 12M can take 40 P/B seats comfortably.

Irony is, the viking is available in 165 hp BS3 engine but the 12M is available only in 181 hp BS3 engine. We dont need that extra power of the 12M. So, we have to choose between-
1) More economical & profitable but comparatively less comfortable Viking chassis
2) More comfortable but less profitable 12M chassis.

I think we would opt for option (1) as our bus would run more on non-AC trips & less AC trips.
Old 18th September 2010, 15:34   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a response from Irizar TVS. They are quoting a price of approx 22 lakhs without tax for the body, interiors & AC (excluding chassis cost).

But, I think their body quality is good enough - the buses built by Irizar TVS for KeSRTC back in 2002-3 are still in real good shape. You would be aware of the kind of abuse these buses are subjected to. At the same time, buses built by Harsha, Hi-Tech, REC, et al during the same period have been rebuilt.

Quote:
On the other hand, Prakash's price is approx 16L for the same. thats a HUGE difference. I really wanted to try Irizar TVS even though my father & brother were reluctant. Looks like its going to be Prakash now as we wont be paying Rs. 6L premium to Irizar.
Given the fact that your venture is just fledging, I believe this is a very good decision. Prakash is a famous name in Kerala and their buses would offer good resale value. I am not sure of Irizar's reputation in Kerala.

Quote:
The Viking chassis can only accommodate 36 P/B seats comfortably. If we want, we can squeeze in 4 more seats by compromising on legroom making it a 40 seater P/B.

So, my guess was true. However, 40 seats on a Viking is not a huge squeeze. Perhaps you should take a look at a couple of 40-seater Vikings before finalising. I say this because you intend to run the bus on tourist runs as well - where poor legroom could spoil your reputation.

Quote:
1) More economical & profitable but comparatively less comfortable Viking chassis

I think we would opt for option (1) as our bus would run more on non-AC trips & less AC trips.
Good choice.

Viking buses are the best for Kerala's roads - the twisty roads in many routes make it forbidden for 12Ms. This could restrict the range of your bus' operations. A Viking can go on almost all ghat routes here, and you can comfortably rent out buses irrespective of the route and also have less tension about the buses getting damaged owing to tight turns.

I have seen how a Viking was perfectly handling the Nadugani Ghats (between Nilambur and Gudalur). I am sure a 12M would find that route tight.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 18:25   #87
BHPian

Quote:
BAD NEWS FRIENDS.

One thing is cleared after talking to Mr. Srinivas from Irizar:

Irony is, the viking is available in 165 hp BS3 engine but the 12M is available only in 181 hp BS3 engine. We dont need that extra power of the 12M. So, we have to choose between-

Well, I had said the Irizars were costly and so they are. But, it's really about economics and Prakash makes sense at that price range.

Hopefully you'll take a final decision and we'll get to see some more shiny new buses on this thread!
Old 19th September 2010, 02:24   #88
Senior - BHPian

@raj_5004

Came across this website for AZAD bus body builders. An old name up North and now they have a presence in Bangalore too building bodies for AL's export division and also for Volvo.

Maybe you have another option apart from Prakash. The site shows a 40 recliner seat bus developed on an AL Panther chassis. Should have options for the Viking platform too.

http://www.azadgroup.in/contactus.htm

Last edited by khoj : 19th September 2010 at 02:27.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 10:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

Given the fact that your venture is just fledging, I believe this is a very good decision. Prakash is a famous name in Kerala and their buses would offer good resale value. I am not sure of Irizar's reputation in Kerala.
yes, waiting for the final quotation of AL for the 165 bhp BS3 Viking. I also need to ensure that newer BS3 models are not being launched.

After the chassis is fixed, i will be flying down to Prakash probably next week to check out their final price, the new model P9000 & i hope its good.

Quote:
So, my guess was true. However, 40 seats on a Viking is not a huge squeeze. Perhaps you should take a look at a couple of 40-seater Vikings before finalising. I say this because you intend to run the bus on tourist runs as well - where poor legroom could spoil your reputation.
Since 12M BS3 model is only available in 181 hp, its very impractical for us. so unless AL comes with a smaller capacity engine for us, we wont be keen on the 12M chassis.

Quote:
Viking buses are the best for Kerala's roads - the twisty roads in many routes make it forbidden for 12Ms. This could restrict the range of your bus' operations. A Viking can go on almost all ghat routes here, and you can comfortably rent out buses irrespective of the route and also have less tension about the buses getting damaged owing to tight turns.

I have seen how a Viking was perfectly handling the Nadugani Ghats (between Nilambur and Gudalur). I am sure a 12M would find that route tight.
Another advantage is that our other two buses are Vikings as well.

Talking about damage, a month back, our brand new mini bus (stag) was on its 2nd trip when the customers broke one of its side window. apparently, two girls were fighting for the window seat.
We dint even get the full compensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
Well, I had said the Irizars were costly and so they are. But, it's really about economics and Prakash makes sense at that price range.

Hopefully you'll take a final decision and we'll get to see some more shiny new buses on this thread!
i can accept a premiuim of around 2 lakhs, but 6 lakhs is too much for me to digest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@raj_5004

Came across this website for AZAD bus body builders. An old name up North and now they have a presence in Bangalore too building bodies for AL's export division and also for Volvo.

Maybe you have another option apart from Prakash. The site shows a 40 recliner seat bus developed on an AL Panther chassis. Should have options for the Viking platform too.

Azad Group : Contacts
thanks buddy. i am aware of Azad. and i like their coaches too. but somehow i dont see many Azad built coaches in kerela. why is that so?

also, if i consider resale value, its a risky proposition.
Old 19th September 2010, 14:03   #90
BHPian

Quote:

i am aware of Azad. and i like their coaches too. but somehow i dont see many Azad built coaches in kerela. why is that so?

also, if i consider resale value, its a risky proposition.
It's the same regional partiality thing, I guess. But, I don't think their bodies are that great. Even the new Volvo's are having a slightly rough exterior finish.