Old 22nd September 2010, 22:43   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default 150 Scorpio Getaways for the Punjab Police Fleet

Name:  Getaway.jpg
Views: 6712
Size:  325.1 KB

Highpoints:

- The Punjab Police recently added 150 new Scorpio Getaways to its fleet of vehicles.

- Powered by the 2.6L common-rail diesel engine, the Getaway has 115 BHP (3800 rpm) and 28.3 kgm torque (1800 rpm) on tap.

- The Getaways can also be customised with required armoury.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:12   #2
AWD
BANNED

Another example of utter wastage of public money. Level/quality of policing is not improving but the money spent is at an all time high.
Tax payers should be fuming! Public servants are becoming Kings & common man is reeling under numerous burdens.

Mahindra & HM have always been Govts. favorites & continue to be so. Bribe your way to the bank!
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm...Getaway? SO what are they going to carry in the back..Criminals?

Regular Scorp would have been better. Actually Bolero Crdi would be the best.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:10   #4
BHPian

Why Scorpio Getaways ???!!!!!!!!!!

Someone gone crazy. These will now be used for Family picnic of Politicians and Influential peoples. Bad Move. A Bolero would had done the job at a way lesser cost.

A complete waste of our money.
VictorSinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:28   #5
BHPian

Default What an Idea Praaji

I have a felling this is a move by Mahindra's and it is a brilliant idea. C'mon how many Getaways are they selling anyways.

Now you have 150 of them roaming all over Punjab. The locals will see it more often.And Punjab is the ideal market for this vehicle.

So even if they are given at a lower price, or Free (which is what I believe), it still makes sense for Mahindra's.

And if the cops are gonna get a better vehicle for peanuts, why should they walk away from the deal.
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 05:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
I have a felling this is a move by Mahindra's and it is a brilliant idea. C'mon how many Getaways are they selling anyways.

Now you have 150 of them roaming all over Punjab. The locals will see it more often.And Punjab is the ideal market for this vehicle.

So even if they are given at a lower price, or Free (which is what I believe), it still makes sense for Mahindra's.

And if the cops are gonna get a better vehicle for peanuts, why should they walk away from the deal.
Could you please explain that what made you believe that Mahindra has donated it to Punjab Police? If that is the case, good move from Mahindra but IMO, chances are very slim that they gave it for free or at a very less price.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:01   #7
BHPian

I don't see anything wrong, even if Punjab Police *paid* for it. Money is being ponged around for undocumented purposes already in Punjab Police.

Also, infrastructural improvements *DO* become a factor for future of private sector growth. A kind of phycological change that makes others confident to play with better stuff in the market.

I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hmm...Getaway? SO what are they going to carry in the back..Criminals?

Regular Scorp would have been better. Actually Bolero Crdi would be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorSinha View Post
Why Scorpio Getaways ???!!!!!!!!!!

Someone gone crazy. These will now be used for Family picnic of Politicians and Influential peoples. Bad Move. A Bolero would had done the job at a way lesser cost.

A complete waste of our money.
They have already had the Boleros and Sumos for the last 4 years or so. Scorpios have also been used already. Just not on this scale. Good to see them upgrading.

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 23rd September 2010 at 08:05.
Gurpartap Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:11   #8
Team-BHP Support

Source: Punjab to equip each police station with multifunctional vehicle @ www.punjabnewsline.com

Quote:
Punjab to equip each police station with multifunctional vehicle

Punjab Newsline Network
Monday, 13 September 2010
CHANDIGARH: The Punjab Police has decided to provide each police station with a multifunctional vehicle to ensure greater mobility thereby reducing the police response time in case of any eventuality.

Flagging Off a convoy of 30 Scorpio Getaway vehicles allotted to the police stations of three districts namely Bathinda, Mansa and Muktsar, Punjab DGP P.S. Gill said that the State police have purchased 150 Scorpio Getaway vehicles at the cost of Rs. 7.25 crore in the first phase.

These 150 vehicles would cover almost half of the Police stations of the state while the remaining would be covered in next phase. He said that the idea behind opting for these vehicles to reduce the response time of police stations as now these days most of the criminals uses fast mobility resources.

To counter them effectively it becomes imperative to provide force robust, powerful and multifunctional vehicles and the newly acquired vehicle fulfills these conditions, he said.

The Police Chief informed that the State police had recently provided 63 new PCR vehicles to the different districts aimed at upgrading the communication infrastructure of Punjab Police to the World class level so that all these efforts could act in complete synergy to respond to any crises in any part of the state.

He said that those vehicles were fully equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS) and other emergency tools and had been deployed at strategic points to respond to any distress call at the earliest.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:57   #9
BHPian

Looks like the Scorpio Getaway is the hot favourite among the armed forces.
There are a couple of them with the Rapid Action Force who vigil Electronics city and other IT parks in Bangalore.
Here, the getaway makes sense as the gunmen have ample open space at the rear for the ammunition and equipments. Bolero/regular Scorpio will fail in that aspect.

Last edited by jeeva : 23rd September 2010 at 09:14.
jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Flagging Off a convoy of 30 Scorpio Getaway vehicles allotted to the police stations of three districts namely Bathinda, Mansa and Muktsar, Punjab DGP P.S. Gill said that the State police have purchased 150 Scorpio Getaway vehicles at the cost of Rs. 7.25 crore in the first phase.
Rs 72500000/150 vehicles = Rs 483333; So does a Getaway cost only 4.83 Lakhs?

Or does the first phase mean that 7.25 Cr is on first phase followed by some more money? 'cause I was under the impression that, one first phase the Govt had bought 150 vehicles.

Hope they were subsidized like Hyundai Accents (or donated) given to Chennai police.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Precisely my calculation Argee.

If they have been given at a cost of 4.8 lacs, I think it is a good deal since the cost is almost at par with the Bolero.
One more point here. The engines being used are the CRDe and not the MHawk.
I m wondering why??

How suitable the vehicle is is another question though.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Why does the Mahindra Scorpio Getaway in the first picture have a MH registration plates?

And, I guess that the vehicle should have a PB registration plate.

Sorry for the OT post!

Amith
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
One more point here. The engines being used are the CRDe and not the MHawk.
I m wondering why??

How suitable the vehicle is is another question though.
Scorpio Getaways anyway come with the 2.6 CRDe & not the mHawk engine.

I am feeling this is a good move my the Punjab police or by mahindra, whichever way it is. we need to move one from the rickety jeeps, sumos & gypsys.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:23   #14
BHPian

Saw few of these in Patiala. When enquired with the uniform wearing person driving it, he told that these are being driven from Mohali to Bathinda for the formal handover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Why does the Mahindra Scorpio Getaway in the first picture have a MH registration plates?

And, I guess that the vehicle should have a PB registration plate.

Sorry for the OT post!

Amith
Going by the numberplates, I believe these are the Temp. registration numbers.
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 09:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good move by Punjab Police to upgrade their fleet. But the question is how long will these remain in good conditions. Police vehicles tend to deteriorate very fast because of multiple drivers and general apathy towards maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Precisely my calculation Argee.

If they have been given at a cost of 4.8 lacs, I think it is a good deal since the cost is almost at par with the Bolero.
Gov't purchases are done on DGS&D Rate Contract which are devoid of excise duty and sales tax. Those are added extra. So please add 16% ED (IIRC) and 12% ST. So the landed cost is actually 6.23L. Now thats not bad either consider each vehicle is retrofitted with GPS and other gizmos.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote