Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 6th December 2005, 18:11   #1
BHPian

Post Ambulances and Fire trucks

Guys,

i had just left my office yesterday evening at around 7:30pm. Traffic was very heavy and as a result there was a huge jam near padmanabhanagar. An ambulance came up next to me with sirens blaring with an old lady in it.

The traffic build up was so huge that the ambulance was nearly 300 - 350mts from the actual traffic junction. He honked and tried to squeeze through in vain. After about 2 minutes, the traffic lights opened up and this guy barely made it through the lights as the vehicles which were ahead of him thankfully let him pass.

What i felt was, everyone was helpless. There was no way anyone in front of the ambulance would budge unless they know there was an ambulance was behind them. Also the policeman has no way of knowing that there is an emergency.

I dont know if it already exists in a few but i think all emergency service vehicles should be equipped with a police scanner with which they can communicate.

Can we do something?
dogdiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 18:23   #2
Joz
BHPian

If it was a minister's car, the cop at the junction would have heard it 400 mts away. I have seen cops in bangalore waiting for the signal to go green so as to let pass an ambulance stuck in traffic. Have seen other wise too, but that has been a rarity.

A communication system with the traffic cops would be helpful, but it may not be very easy to implement.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 23:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pisses me off to see ambulances stuck in traffic. I try as hard as I can to let to let them through.

Joz, it's dead easy. Police lines are fed to ambulance and vice versa. The control room advises the local cop to keep certain signals green and others red, to aid the emergency services. But this is Bangalore, where no such thing will ever happen...
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 00:20   #4
BHPian

Sad to say that the horn of a two wheeler is louder than that of the ambulance siren. A small 800 van with a faint siren will bever been seen/heard..

But, Mallaya Hopspital has one good loud ambulance!!
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 08:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

on the other side of the coin, I see dialidated ambulances getting priority even if there is no emergency
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 09:28   #6
BHPian

I think a ministers dog will get a better treatment in Bangalore than an ailing commoner.
dogdiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 09:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

People give way for Firetrucks here. You donno if the brake of that thing would work with all that litres of water.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 10:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

According to law, drivers are supposed to pull over on the side of the road and stop if an ambulance, fire engine or cop car/jeep is going with it's sirens blaring. If it's a two way road, traffic on both sides of the road is supposed to pull over on the sides and give right of way to emergency vehicles. Blame it on the way people are taught or in India's case not taught to drive, ignorance or sheer apathy. Of course the feeble sirens on emergency vehicles are also to blame becuase many times I haven't heard a Ambulance coming from behind. These vehicles don't have properly visible flashing lights so we can spot them.

Last edited by amit : 7th December 2005 at 10:03.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 10:22   #9
BHPian

Amit what you said is right ( Blame it on the way people are taught or in India's case not taught to drive.).When it is so easy to get a driving licence by just paying the agent standing outside the rto office and there isnt even the need to give a driving test do you think the people are going to enter the rto office just to read the rules..Boss if we go to look into many skeletons will pop out.It is true that ambulance dont get the priority they are supposed to get during times of emergency, but look at the traffic conditions too...there isnt any serious thinking to be done but some action to be taken.,because in our country we have ample of people to do the thinking but very very few who can implement it...

Cheers....
egangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 13:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
But this is Bangalore, where no such thing will ever happen...
It happens, when a certain Singh or a certain Gowda is being driven around....
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote