Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 22nd October 2010, 10:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default BMTC now offering internet on Volvo buses!

Today's TOI Bangalore edition carries this news about BMTC offering internet on the Volvo buses catering to the passengers traveling to and from the International Airport.
Its a welcome move and I feel will be well received by commuters.
I do hope they maintain the systems periodically and not let the systems die after a few months.

Article Window
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:41   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Trust Bangalore - the IT capital of India - to come up with such an initiative. Bangalore also brings the most number of users to Team-BHP, and its certainly not because the city has the most enthusiasts!

I wonder when an internet connection + laptop power socket will become standard fare with planes. Would make those long flights so much shorter
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 00:35   #3
BHPian

Trust me GTO come to Jamlore and you wish you never landed here in first place.
OT - Such a beautiful city it was with its green cover and now to ensure that volvos can move around freely along with other vehicals, its tree cover is almost decapitated. I really wonder what we, as bhpians can do to stop this tree killing by corrupt officials.

Add to this topic they also had plans to serve hot breakfast on all Volvos in city. Apart from practical mess that would be created inside the buses, that idea now is no where to be seen.
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 02:55   #4
BHPian

Wow that is awesome, agree with GTO, would love to see power socket & wifi on planes & locos.
vette8991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 05:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is already offered in Hyderabad.

The airport service is called 'Aero Express' here and offers wi-fi to its passengers as well as the status of flights on an lcd fitted just behind the driver.

But, there is a catch!

You have to pay. First time you try to access any site, it will redirect to the TATA Indicom home page and asks you to buy a pack. Lowest was for Rs.25. And surfing rates have gone off my mind but from what I can recollect it would come to around Rs.50/60 for an hour.

I would so wish this was for free. Atleast, casual surfing.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:38   #6
BHPian

This is really a great news for all of us, but is this internet service is charged something or its free ?? (Free, fees might be included in ticket)
Now as BEST in Mumbai has also getting Volvo B7R & Mercedes Benz Travego in their fleets, they should also try to get these kind of Wi-Fi services on these AC buses running on long routes such as Wadala-Borivali, Wadala-Kharghar etc.
@ All Banglore TBHPians,
Is anyone has used this service ?? Would like to hear the report from you how is this.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 17:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering why BMTC is providing such a service. If this comes with an additional cost, yes, I can understand, but if its free. Somebody pls help me understand.

First create a hell of traffic jam & people will get confused as what to do when struck in traffic. Then provide services such as tea/coffee/internet at additional cost so that a new business starts developing instead of addressing the base issue on traffic sense, road sharing & stricter license process.

Anyway, the move is welcome & I hope TN Govt takes a clue from this.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just wondering why BMTC is providing such a service. If this comes with an additional cost, yes, I can understand, but if its free. Somebody pls help me understand.
BMTC is not incurring any cost on the service. The provider (I seem to forget their name) is expected to recover their expense through advertisements.

Quote:
First create a hell of traffic jam & people will get confused as what to do when struck in traffic. Then provide services such as tea/coffee/internet at additional cost so that a new business starts developing instead of addressing the base issue on traffic sense, road sharing & stricter license process.
What is BMTC having to do with this? Were they behind creating traffic jams?

BMTC is providing frills in their buses only to encourage passengers to take the bus and leave their cars at home - the TTMCs being built in different places have parking spaces for people to leave their vehicles and then take the bus. There is very little, BMTC can do in improving traffic sense, road sharing or the license process.

The officers are RTOs are corrupt only because the public - which includes you and me - are letting them being so. How many of us actually follow procedures to get their work done instead of paying up to jump steps?

Similarly, I have seen many cars with "I Drive Safe" stickers cutting lanes left, right and centre without any botheration for other road users.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, the move is welcome & I hope TN Govt takes a clue from this.
I think TN doesn't have it cos, it doesn't take that long to reach the international airport
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

One good thing that RSRTC (Rajasthan Roadways) has done is that they have made toilets in the newly inducted Mercedes buses plying between Jaipur- Delhi.

Initially the time taken was 5 hrs with one break but lately it has been taking 7 hrs+ so toilet stoppages are becoming too frequent by travellers increasing the time.

Other things that they are offerening with these new busses are:-

1. Toilet
2. attached pantry with light snacks and beverages.
3. Charger sockets
4. Wi-fi will be included soon.

Regards
Dhiraj
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 07:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
I think TN doesn't have it cos, it doesn't take that long to reach the international airport
; That was a good one, a little sad truth too

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
BMTC is not incurring any cost on the service. The provider (I seem to forget their name) is expected to recover their expense through advertisements.
Aah!!! if this is the case, then soon all cities are going to follow the leader - BLR

Quote:
What is BMTC having to do with this? Were they behind creating traffic jams?
I didn't mean BMTC has to do with jamming, but in general. BTW, does BMTC buses go complete left when boarding passengers or do they stand where they would like to & block the entire traffic flow?

Quote:
BMTC is providing frills in their buses only to encourage passengers to take the bus and leave their cars at home
Yeah, I assumed this would be the reason in first place. But then, how many peeople would want to listen was my question. Even if everyone did, does BMTC have the capability & support immediately?

Quote:
The officers are RTOs are corrupt only because the public - which includes you and me - are letting them being so. How many of us actually follow procedures to get their work done instead of paying up to jump steps?
Aah!!! C'mon, lets not get into complete OT now. These things are discussed to death here.

Quote:
Similarly, I have seen many cars with "I Drive Safe" stickers cutting lanes left, right and centre without any botheration for other road users.
Sometimes we have to & that's why I stick "I Drive Safe" within my car to remind myself. 6:00 clock in the morning traffic of Chennai, I too am forced to do this because there're are slow drivers & people doing too many things at one time including driving on the road. If I do not keep moving between the lanes & driving, then I've to still drive at 30 Kmph. Oh!!! again, this is not even city that I'm talking about, these are state highways!!!
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 10:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't mean BMTC has to do with jamming, but in general. BTW, does BMTC buses go complete left when boarding passengers or do they stand where they would like to & block the entire traffic flow?
From my experience, the road is blocked irrespective of whether the BMTC is in the middle of the road or not, and in most cases, the bus stop is right before a traffic signal, or right after one! But, they do pull to the left at bus stops.

Quote:
Yeah, I assumed this would be the reason in first place. But then, how many peeople would want to listen was my question. Even if everyone did, does BMTC have the capability & support immediately?
Great question - even if people listen to BMTC, they wouldn't do so overnight, and hence BMTC would have enough time to increase its fleet to match the demand.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 11:44   #13
Team-BHP Support

OT: The problem with Bangalore is that the city is just not built for this sort of traffic and people! And it's bustling with cars, two-wheelers and pedestrians.

Anyway, it's a pretty good move by BMTC considering that despite everything, the operation of Volvos is proving to be more of a liability for them. BMTC is undergoing heavy losses just by keeping them on the roads!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote