Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2006, 13:40   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 615
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Have you noticed how many people are loaded up into Sumos (hint:same engine). speaking of pulling, we've pulled an amby with an M800...no jokes.
Oh i should have clarified, I meant Fully loaded Telcoline pulling an Amby :-) What's a pickup that doesn't have any power ?!?

Also, when i say pulling, i mean pulling atleast 10 km's to the nearest service station or maybe even more at a reasonable fuel efficiency..

I didn't mean pulling just for show-off purposes.. or overloading your engine's capacity..

All said and done, the vehicle feels truly underpowered for a pickup truck..
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2006, 15:39   #77
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Have you noticed how many people are loaded up into Sumos (hint:same engine). speaking of pulling, we've pulled an amby with an M800...no jokes.
Guys, the difference in 'pulling power' what you felt is mainly due to re gearing. Please understand that the 207 is a load carrying pickup (used to carry heavy goods) and the 4x4 is a lifestyle vehicle (more like a mahindra classic). When testing you should have run it to its top speed and seen. The acceleration is slow, its not a sports saloon, but a top speed of around 140kmph (speedo) is more than adequate for such a vehicle. And btw I have noticed no major difference in the performance between the 4x4 and the old 90bhp safari. I agree that fuel efficency cant be 14kmpl as claimed by tata guys . But 8-10 must be whats obtained in real life

Ravi
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2006, 17:53   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 615
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
Guys, the difference in 'pulling power' what you felt is mainly due to re gearing. Please understand that the 207 is a load carrying pickup (used to carry heavy goods) and the 4x4 is a lifestyle vehicle (more like a mahindra classic). When testing you should have run it to its top speed and seen. The acceleration is slow, its not a sports saloon, but a top speed of around 140kmph (speedo) is more than adequate for such a vehicle. And btw I have noticed no major difference in the performance between the 4x4 and the old 90bhp safari. I agree that fuel efficency cant be 14kmpl as claimed by tata guys . But 8-10 must be whats obtained in real life

Ravi
Ravi,

I don't think that the Telcoline will go beyond 80 kmph in Indian conditions, leave alone the top speed of 140 kmph..

Whereas the 207-DI will easily do 100+ speeds.. You have to have to try out the 207-DI and see the acceleration for yourself in order to understand what i mean.. I've driven the 207-DI and the engine absolutely rocks in terms of performance, DICOR or not..

What i am emphasizing is that the vehicle is seriously underpowered..

I know that a similar sized Sumo can carry a lot of people, but i feel that a Sumo is also lighter than the Telcoline.. The engine is simply not upto the mark for a Pickup truck.

This engine is ideally suited for a light pickup like the Tata-Mobile. But TATA has stopped the production of the Tata-Mobile..
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2006, 16:52   #79
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
Ravi,

I don't think that the Telcoline will go beyond 80 kmph in Indian conditions, leave alone the top speed of 140 kmph..

Whereas the 207-DI will easily do 100+ speeds.. You have to have to try out the 207-DI and see the acceleration for yourself in order to understand what i mean.. I've driven the 207-DI and the engine absolutely rocks in terms of performance, DICOR or not..

What i am emphasizing is that the vehicle is seriously underpowered..

I know that a similar sized Sumo can carry a lot of people, but i feel that a Sumo is also lighter than the Telcoline.. The engine is simply not upto the mark for a Pickup truck.

This engine is ideally suited for a light pickup like the Tata-Mobile. But TATA has stopped the production of the Tata-Mobile..
Utna bhi karab nahi hai yaar Personally saw a speed of 120kmph on ee highway, cudnt go higher due to traffic although the car cud have done more. Performance wise nothing more/less than the alto/m800. BTW far better than the sumo (i can vouch for this, having driven both the 68bhp and the 90bhp sumos). With nylon crossply tires the 207 will not stick to a curve at 100+ leave alone cruising at that speed. The 4x4 can climb well, it actually accelerates up a flyover with 5 ppl sitting and in 5th gear, try doing that in a sumo and see how u need to drop to 3rd.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 12:33   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 615
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
Utna bhi karab nahi hai yaar Personally saw a speed of 120kmph on ee highway, cudnt go higher due to traffic although the car cud have done more. Performance wise nothing more/less than the alto/m800. BTW far better than the sumo (i can vouch for this, having driven both the 68bhp and the 90bhp sumos). With nylon crossply tires the 207 will not stick to a curve at 100+ leave alone cruising at that speed. The 4x4 can climb well, it actually accelerates up a flyover with 5 ppl sitting and in 5th gear, try doing that in a sumo and see how u need to drop to 3rd.
Hmm, i wonder at what point does the turbo kick in.. I couldn't go more than 40 kmph in bangalore traffic.. Below 30 kmph, the vehicle was screaming for frequent gear-shifts.. And i didn't hear the magical whine of the Turbo at all.. Could it be because the Turbo had failed or because of better acoustics.. Hard to tell..

But do you agree that the 207-DI with the 407 engine is still torquey and powerful in the pulling department..
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 13:21   #81
SUV
BHPian
 
SUV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BLR
Posts: 256
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
Hmm, i wonder at what point does the turbo kick in.. I couldn't go more than 40 kmph in bangalore traffic.. Below 30 kmph, the vehicle was screaming for frequent gear-shifts.. And i didn't hear the magical whine of the Turbo at all.. Could it be because the Turbo had failed or because of better acoustics.. Hard to tell..

But do you agree that the 207-DI with the 407 engine is still torquey and powerful in the pulling department..
i would say 207 DI is a better engine for the TL 4x4 .......

Turbo spool's above 2k RPM.

BTW from which dealer did u get the Test Drive from ? Can you PM me his contact info
SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 08:20   #82
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
Hmm, i wonder at what point does the turbo kick in.. I couldn't go more than 40 kmph in bangalore traffic.. Below 30 kmph, the vehicle was screaming for frequent gear-shifts.. And i didn't hear the magical whine of the Turbo at all.. Could it be because the Turbo had failed or because of better acoustics.. Hard to tell..

But do you agree that the 207-DI with the 407 engine is still torquey and powerful in the pulling department..
ur right here, the turbo does kick in @ 3000rpm upwards on the tacho. I wonder why? Anyways the car revs till 4800rpm or so (it was 105 kmph in 3rd gear). Does the old safari to rev till 5k rpm? Ideally a turbo for a suv/cv shud rev @ low rpms rite?
And yes the car is best in gear 2 in speeds less than 30kmph/ think about the 2.5tons kerb weight. Ideally the dicor engine might have done the needful. Guys tell me something, will pete's tuning box extract a few more horses from the 4x4? if so how much

Ravi
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 09:38   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 615
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
ur right here, the turbo does kick in @ 3000rpm upwards on the tacho. I wonder why? Anyways the car revs till 4800rpm or so (it was 105 kmph in 3rd gear). Does the old safari to rev till 5k rpm? Ideally a turbo for a suv/cv shud rev @ low rpms rite?
And yes the car is best in gear 2 in speeds less than 30kmph/ think about the 2.5tons kerb weight.
Ravi
Absolutely rite, the turbo should kick-in at about 1500 to 2000 rpm range.. for the vehicle to handle decently in city traffic. I agree the power-steering makes the vehicle very nimble and easy to handle.. Ideally i would have a turbo controller/tuner somewhere near the dashboard so that i can fine-tune the power needs of my truck.. (wishful thinking !! heh heh)
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 15:57   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default The All New Tata TL

The latest September 2006 issue of Overdrive carries spypics of the all new Tata TL 4X4 with a completely new dual cab, a new chassis and a DICOR engine. From what one can make out from the pics, the cab looks much better than the current one in terms of design and finish. The dashboard is also all-new.

This is the first real revision of the Tatamobile since its launch in 1988, notwithstanding the successful 207(3.0L) makeover it received a few years back.

According to OD, the new TL shall be available in 4X4 but it is not yet clear whether the engine will be the 3 litre DICOR unit from Safari or the new 2.2 litre engine currently under development. It is expected to be launched in about 6-8 months.

Last edited by directinjection : 7th September 2006 at 15:59.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 14:16   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,556
Thanked: 815 Times
Default

I have seen two versions(single and crew cab) of the new and disguised TL on the Highways. First time, I tried to give it a chase to click some pics (on my bike) but didnt succeed. You should really see the way it pulls away from 80kmph. I was impressed. Too bad I couldnt get a better look. The guy was simply too fast.
The second single cab version I saw again on the same road, when I was riding with fellow member alen. Judging by the speeds it was doing, is it possible that Tata gave it the 2.2L diesel instead?
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 12:51   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
I have seen two versions(single and crew cab) of the new and disguised TL on the Highways. First time, I tried to give it a chase to click some pics (on my bike) but didnt succeed. You should really see the way it pulls away from 80kmph. I was impressed. Too bad I couldnt get a better look. The guy was simply too fast.
The second single cab version I saw again on the same road, when I was riding with fellow member alen. Judging by the speeds it was doing, is it possible that Tata gave it the 2.2L diesel instead?
A 140 BHP version of the 207/SUT has been developed for the Thai market. May be that's what you saw. Check this link:

www.tata.com/tata_motors/media/20050921_thailand.htm

Last edited by directinjection : 17th October 2006 at 12:54.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 14:23   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,556
Thanked: 815 Times
Default

THailand is the largest pickup truck market in Asia. Quite possible that the new TelcoLine will be launched there first. Any undisguised pics of the truck out there? I heard the auto mags are doing features on it during the next couple of months, so the launch must be close.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 14:31   #88
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,645 Times
Default

Since India and Thailand have a FTA, does it mean if Tata makes these in thailand, they can import duty free to India?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 14:50   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
himanshugoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: !!!!
Posts: 2,006
Thanked: 1,018 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
A 140 BHP version of the 207/SUT has been developed for the Thai market. May be that's what you saw.
if it is 140 BHP with Diesel, then we are looking at the 2.2LDicor that is expected in the safari soon.

If it is a petrol, then it would be a mildly tuned version of the existing 2.1L which already produces 136 BHP
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 13:12   #90
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 178
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

I thought Tata was coming out with a new version of the SUT. Any news on this?
harishsegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti becomes India’s third largest utility vehicle maker madan80 The Indian Car Scene 14 18th April 2017 15:26
What india needs is a SMART UTILITY VEHICLE (sUV) DieselFan The Indian Car Scene 72 28th October 2011 20:57
A decade old Truck, a brand new experience!!! My first 10 year old Safari 4x4 Senz Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 12 16th June 2010 15:43
A day with the monster truck, an awesome Shockwave truck and a few fighter planes ... jango The International Automotive Scene 9 16th October 2008 14:57
Dish TV set to roll out services in Sports Utility Vehicles invisiblebond Shifting gears 1 24th June 2008 10:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:25.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks