Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 5th May 2008, 00:40   #76
BANNED

i keep track of most of the BEST buses since 1999.. so i feel my info is 99% accurate.

MHO1L9115 is also not spotted by anyone since almost 6 months now.. i think it has been de commissioned as it was the only tata diesel bus in the whole fleet.
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 16:39   #77
BHPian

Default Kinglong

Another update is that BEST has purchased Kinglong buses with A/T transmission. A friend of mine traveled by it a couple of days ago.

Secondly, Magathane depot of BEST is almost a CNG-only depot now. It has got hardly 35-40 diesel buses with them. Those buses are still there because CNG buses are unable to handle gradients on some routes (Eg: 524 ltd and 398 ltd).
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 16:54   #78
Senior - BHPian

Amazing updates these...

What's Kinglong?

And why were the Leyland A/T's converted to manuals?
Technical glitch?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 16:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation KingLong luxury buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Amazing updates these...

What's Kinglong?

And why were the Leyland A/T's converted to manuals?
Technical glitch?

not the latest in the KingKong series of movies ......but a high-tech luxury bus from China, which can take on a Volvo in terms of speed and comfort. Please see link below :

//KINGLONG BUS

Quote:
...And why were the Leyland A/T's converted to manuals?...
must have been due to the reliability factor and the low mileage with the engines of those days.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 5th May 2008 at 17:02.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 17:29   #80
BANNED

engines of those days? dude.. those buses mostly had the HINO BS1 engine or the most recent BS2 engine from Leyland.
Old 5th May 2008, 17:34   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
engines of those days? dude.. those buses mostly had the HINO BS1 engine or the most recent BS2 engine from Leyland.
I was referring to the bus with A/T which was introduced more than15 years ago, and then the A/T was replaced with manual gearbox (as mentioned in an earlier post...post # 70). These would definitely have been the standard AL comet engine, and not the Hino. The Hino engine was introduced in the early/mid-90s. The "most recent" engines from AL are BSIII compliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Some of these A/T busses came to Kolkata itself mid-80's. These were the Ashok Leyland Titan.

Later these busses were retrofitted by the long handle manual gearshift (obviously after changing the gearbox).

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 5th May 2008 at 17:39.
Old 5th May 2008, 17:39   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Amazing updates these...

What's Kinglong?
Kinglong is a Chinese brand of buses which is assembled in India. The body also is built here, by JCBL. Earlier BEST Kinglongs have manual transmission.

IMHO, they cannot beat the Volvos. Volvos have a perfectly proportioned look where as Kinglongs do not have that perfect look.

I have attached the front and rear views of BEST Kinglong buses.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai BEST buses go hitech ??-2219045610_94fdb66a3b_b.jpg  

Mumbai BEST buses go hitech ??-2232609894_5d5a5cc232_b.jpg  

Old 5th May 2008, 18:36   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I was referring to the bus with A/T which was introduced more than15 years ago, and then the A/T was replaced with manual gearbox (as mentioned in an earlier post...post # 70). These would definitely have been the standard AL comet engine, and not the Hino. The Hino engine was introduced in the early/mid-90s. The "most recent" engines from AL are BSIII compliant.

The first automatic transmission busses were introduced in 1997-98..

MHO1H 9495 9496.. Their picture is still there on the website.

they are now no more automatic.

when the arrived they had HINO engine BS1 now they have BS2 conversion and manual transmission.

as far as my knowledge goes. A/T buses were not introduced in any engine type before the HINO .
Old 5th May 2008, 21:23   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Strange, I've never seen kinglongs before in Mumbai. This is WE Highway at Kandivali right? I can see Oberoi Towers in the background. I dont recollect ever seeing one of these on our roads :S
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 21:34   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

as far as my knowledge goes. A/T buses were not introduced in any engine type before the HINO .
What you have said is probably with reference to the BEST buses.

I remember there was a bus with auto tranny in Chennai (then Madras) during the 80s. I also remember that it used to make a lot of noise when starting from stop.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:38   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

Could it be that the bus had an auto-transmission? But then why would the driver need to change gears manually? Also, will there be a clutch pedal for auto-transmission?
Layland had installed some busses(technically truck/bus chassis) with pneumatic transmissions to reduce stress on driver. I dont remember seeing these things but my uncle loves them.All these are info i got from him.

The Chennai bus drivers used to keep some stone(brick) as a replacement for clutch(they are used to pressing clutch). These pneumatic transmissions are what europeans would dub as semi-automatic. The gear lever is really short and just requires a mild jolt to shift. The transmission was of H-pattern like in a normal bus/truck. Don't know why it was discarded, no takers may be.
arunmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 09:18   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Strange, I've never seen kinglongs before in Mumbai. This is WE Highway at Kandivali right? I can see Oberoi Towers in the background. I dont recollect ever seeing one of these on our roads
Hello,

The location indeed is WE highway near Borivali (Bhor industries bus stop).

These buses started running some time in mid December 2007. They run on two routes, Dahisar to Backbay and Cadbury Junction (Thane) to Backbay. They do six trips in each direction. In the morning they go towards Backbay and return to Dahisar/Thane in the evening. These services are a big hit. Both the routes have about 20-25 standees per trip!

For the complete time-table refer BEST buses Yahoo! Group
Old 6th May 2008, 15:21   #88
BHPian

Another update regarding Kinglongs. The frequency of Backbay-Thane route (using the EE highway) has been increased to 20 minutes from 30 minutes.

A thing not related to Kinglongs: I have seen gearshift indicators in many buses of Dharavi depot. They are fixed to the right of the instrument cluster and on the er..A pillar as we could call it in a car. This display has the text "Attention: Please shift to the next gear" written on it in Marathi. Whenever its time to change the gear, a red light in the display comes on.

On a lighter note, I saw a maverick speedo on a bus. It was showing 110 kph when the bus was actually at 45-50 kph
Old 6th May 2008, 18:56   #89
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:

MHO1H 9495 9496.. Their picture is still there on the website.

they are now no more automatic.

when the arrived they had HINO engine BS1 now they have BS2 conversion and manual transmission.

the automatic transmission was introduced much before 1990 it was there in mid 80s there were those blue singledecker buses hese used to run from goregaondepot to anushakti nagar as 374 ltd they had those typical box with 5 slots for gears and used to have a good pick up similarly there were lots of double deckers running nthe same gear box from early 80s
santoshnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 16:42   #90
BANNED

you may be right about those blue buses

had seen them earlier in my childhood when i was 3-4 years old .. but dont know which transmission did they have.