Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 30th November 2009, 22:49   #121
BHPian

Update:

The current crop of new CNG buses non-AC BEST buses were the ones built on a Tata Chassis. Compared to the diesel-powered Ashok Leyland MUTP buses, the Tata buses had the same old typical BEST bus facia albeit with rectangular lights and more importantly they lacked the all important air suspension which was present in the diesel AL buses.

For the past few days, I have been seeing a newer breed of CNG AL buses. The chassis is quite long and similar to the Viking Chassis of the diesel buses. The front end is similar to the Lynx Midi buses also there is air suspension as well as collapsible doors for the entry as well as exit gate.
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 03:06   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
For the past few days, I have been seeing a newer breed of CNG AL buses. The chassis is quite long and similar to the Viking Chassis of the diesel buses. The front end is similar to the Lynx Midi buses also there is air suspension as well as collapsible doors for the entry as well as exit gate.
These are the new buses bought under JNNURM (Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission). Another notable thing about them are LED destination boards in front, behind and inside the bus. They don't always seem to work though!
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 15:59   #123
BANNED

Default Re: Mumbai BEST buses go hitech ??

Just trying to review this thread and B.E.S.T. bus fans here.

Best has started a "Fort Ferry" initiative using its StarBus, does anyone have more info on it?
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 14:47   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Just trying to review this thread and B.E.S.T. bus fans here.

Best has started a "Fort Ferry" initiative using its StarBus, does anyone have more info on it?
I see it daily but never travelled in them. Basically the star buses plying between CST-Fort-Nariman Pt-Churchgate-CST route. I feel that they should have atleast used the Globus series. Best would be to kill the King Longs and introduce all Volvo's or atleast AL AC buses or the Globus.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 17:32   #125
BANNED

OH, so this means all the Starbuses taht were scattered with different depots in the city are now brought together for this service. i think BEST has about 20-30 such buses.
Old 21st November 2011, 10:59   #126
BHPian

I will just like to say that BEST has been having Power Steering for more than 20 years or no one can move the steering ever standing still.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 16:19   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OH, so this means all the Starbuses taht were scattered with different depots in the city are now brought together for this service. i think BEST has about 20-30 such buses.
Could be. These buses are repainted with Mumbai city limelights but are in shambles. In fact, one of the buses had a break down on 2nd day of service!
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:15   #128
BANNED

Those buses are not new. So breakdowns are bound to happen similar to the other buses of same age.
Thankfully, BEST has started painting the Kinglongs, even though the finishing is not as good as factory paint but it still looks much better now.
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:25   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those buses are not new. So breakdowns are bound to happen similar to the other buses of same age.
Thankfully, BEST has started painting the Kinglongs, even though the finishing is not as good as factory paint but it still looks much better now.
Yes, they are looking a lot better now. However, it's time that they did something about the tints. Window seats are a pain post 8 AM because of the sunlight; I would have been happy to sit there if I was in Delhi (in winters) or in simla, not now!

When do they plan to replace the ageing fleet of Kinglongs? 74 Express is Volvo now. What happened to the Mercedes bus?

Also, why cant they move to AL?

Buses | Ashok Leyland

Lastly, they should learn from NMMT or TMT. Their AC buses are much better maintained than BEST and cheaper too!
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:54   #130
BANNED

BEST has two AL ULE A/C buses in its fleet in Wadala Depot. They are painted same as King Long orignal shade but are in much better condition.

Due to the same shade they easily pass on as regular king longs to a normal eye, but points to note are different front styling and very dark tinted glasses.
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:15   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BEST has two AL ULE A/C buses in its fleet in Wadala Depot. They are painted same as King Long orignal shade but are in much better condition.

Due to the same shade they easily pass on as regular king longs to a normal eye, but points to note are different front styling and very dark tinted glasses.
Yes, I think I have seen them. My concern is why is BEST trying to use modern buses in "City limits" and keep kinglongs on the longer routes (Mira Road to Backbay)? I take AS2 daily in the mornings and I am amazed to see how fast the Volvo's go while my bus struggles on various flyovers. Luckily, the bus that I take, the driver is skilled and runs the bus quite nicely.
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:20   #132
BANNED

Ashok Leyland ULE are used on the route to Belapur etc. Not inside the city.
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:58   #133
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! So, why do the western suburbs suffer with the old, tatty Kinglongs?
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:26   #134
BHPian

Amtak,

If the drivers' opinions and my personal observations are anything to go by, the AL buses are no better than KLs; infact they are worse. Drivers of Wadala depot too say the same.

BEST has apparently got permission to display ads on buses again as per reports in newspapers over the last couple of days. I wonder why they are painting the buses, if ads will be displayed again! The volvo deal was stalled after RTO ordered removal of ads, as BEST was supposed to get the Volvos free in lieu of advertising rights on the buses for 10 years. There are talks of reviving this deal as SC has granted permission to display ads again.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 11:30   #135
BANNED

MHO1 L 96xx buses are now getting refurbished. Saw one with Vikrohli depot.