Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 19th November 2010, 17:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
And that was advertised as a reasonable cost.
Reasonablea??? Boy!!! if it were around a 1K, then its ok, but its almost 2K; I do agree there's quite demand especially between Chennai-BLR & most importantly, BLR-Kochi, but if you look at the passengers, the guys travelling most are from IT & are regular.

Considering the travel time from Chennai Airport to BLR airport & then travelling back from BLR airport to city, it should easily take about 4-5 hours atleast right? Probably this bus does that in 6 hours to the city. In that sense, it might be ok.

Even for a round trip, they aren't offering a concession, which is little disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
@aarggee, you want to compare driving with 5 occupants in a car with a luxurious travel experience ?
Err...I should've made it clear, myself, Wifey, Mother & 2 kids, aged 3 & 11 months. Should be comfortable isn't it?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 13:48   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Very interesting thread on a unique concept.

Sure, the price is on the higher side, but $$$ is always inversely proportional to the number of seats onboard. Each passenger obviously has more legroom, hence lesser the total number of seats (and paying customers), and higher the cost per. Plus, there's leather seats, wifi, individual entertainment screens & hot meals!

Clearly not for a family which owns a car and thus, will find it cheaper to drive down themselves. Rather, it's a viable option for the professional traveler. Don't forget....instead of driving for 6 hours, you can work for atleast 4 of them.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 16:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rather, it's a viable option for the professional traveler. Don't forget....instead of driving for 6 hours, you can work for atleast 4 of them.
GTO, totally agree with this point and that is their target customer (I fall under this category)
The 4-5 hours of work that can be put in with wi-fi and laptop charging facility available and the freedom to use the phone unlike an aircraft is the differentiator and the USP!
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 17:31   #19
BHPian

1800 is steep for a regular traveler on personal expenses. But for a business travel, sounds good. However, would like to experience the luxury. For those who are ready to spend, this seems to be an alternative to the Shatabdis and Red Kingfishers. When the economies of scale are met, I believe the price would get adjusted to around 1500.

The bus looks awesome.
BusyBoyKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 18:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

But what would a business traveller prefer if the Shatabdi also offers wi-fi. And with 3G connectivity coming in a few months, having internet on the move wont be much of an issue in the near future.

This is for a really really niche customer, I personally dont think this is going to catch on in a big way at all. But I still think as a niche service it will succeed.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 18:50   #21

Thumbs up Inside Luxuria

I got a chance to check out the interiors of the Luxuria. Well, the name is truly apt.
Attached Thumbnails
LUXURIA - Bangalore to Chennai. EDIT : Now renamed to *Luxury* Buses-image0686.jpg  

geforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 19:43   #22
BHPian

The 10PM bus tonight is full and when I checked yesterday and the day before, almost all four buses from Chennai were running full.

I don't think Rs.1800 is steep when we pay Rs675 for a seat in a similar Volvo from KPN with none of these facilities on offer. Also it isn't meant for the average joe who likes to visit his friends on a weekend but for business people who would like to spend the time during the journey quite usefully.

They can avoid time taken for the check-in procedure in the Airport, no need to travel to one end of the city for boarding the train and he can happily hop off at any point inside Bangy when the bus passes the point.
SchumiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 20:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Check out this video:

Looks like an awesome way to travel! Can't wait to try it out
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 22:13   #24
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Still no individual armrests for the twin seats.
BaldOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 15:11   #25

I have been dying to try this out ever since I read about it on Times of India, Mumbai edition! Happy to know that they will be coming to Mumbai :-)
VIVEKPPAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 18:08   #26
BHPian

Default Rs1800 is worth. and they have opened new segment

I would say Rs1800 is worth. and they have opened new luxury segment.

Chennai Bangalore Shatabdi costs 1100+ for 1st A/C Charicar, where seats are not luxury and the train ticket prices were not changed for the past 14 years. So if people could afford this 14 years before, now they can afford even if it is Rs.3000

But i would suggest, That should include, free home pickup by Meru A/C Cab.

Competitors can come up with this Free Home pickup and drop by Meru A/C cab .

Or it can be Rs1800 + A/C Taxi charges that should vary as per the pickup & drop location ( I think i should patent this Idea for my own venture )

Last but not least:
DO they have Toilet in the Bus? I wish they have one.
TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 19:56   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
Yes they have one as per the MSN news link in luxuria website.
I felt that 1800 is a great price for people from IT who would need to travel between Chennai's IT corridor and Bangalore's IT hub at short notice. The pickup and drop off points also points to only IT related areas. If somebody wants to go to his Chennai IT office in OMR for a meeting and if he is working in Bangalore e city he just needs to board a bus to reach there all the while staying connected (Work from Home).
1. If he wants to go by Shatabdi he needs to take a cab all the way to City station (2 hours) travel by train to Chennai Central (5 hours) then take a cab to OMR (1.5 hours). If you include time for transfers then total time taken is 9 hours.
2. For travel by Air, a person would have to travel to airport from e-city (2 hours) at least one hour before departure for travelling 1 hour (30 mins flight time) and then travel from Chennai airport to OMR (1 hour). Add time for transfer you get a travel time of close to 6 hours.
So Train and air travel are more time consuming than Luxuria. Cost wise it slightly expensive than train but cheaper than flight.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 14:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldOwl View Post
Still no individual armrests for the twin seats.
The ad from TOI/ Mirror yesterday's edition does show individual armrests for the twin seats.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 14:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
17 years back the Tamilnadu Gov owned JJTC (bought with a world bank loan) had toilets in their AC buses.
But the toilets was removed after 6 months, due to smell and other practical problems.

Those JJTC buses were far ahead of their time in terms of luxury, with plush seats, good interiors, coffee makers, free magazines, 2 attendants, etc. Sadly as soon as a Government change happened, the corporation was disbanded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
1. If he wants to go by Shatabdi he needs to take a cab all the way to City station (2 hours) travel by train to Chennai Central (5 hours) then take a cab to OMR (1.5 hours). If you include time for transfers then total time taken is 9 hours.
2. For travel by Air, a person would have to travel to airport from e-city (2 hours) at least one hour before departure for travelling 1 hour (30 mins flight time) and then travel from Chennai airport to OMR (1 hour). Add time for transfer you get a travel time of close to 6 hours.
So Train and air travel are more time consuming than Luxuria. Cost wise it slightly expensive than train but cheaper than flight.
Even if it's bus in Chennai, you have to reach Koyambedu, unless your home happens to be in the road that goes to sriperumbudur.

Try reaching Koyambedu on holiday/long weekend season. It took me 2 hrs to reach koyambedu on such a day from Guindy. And the bus took another 45 minutes to wriggle out of that mess, called as the private OMNI bus stand.

Last edited by Daewood : 26th November 2010 at 14:45.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 16:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Luxuria is aimed at professionals who'd like to work on the move as well, IMO. The video looks promising.

@DWind: With train and air travel in Chennai, you have the option to take the MRTS/Suburban trains. Of course it involves a little bit of travel on the road by cab/auto, but if you're travelling entirely by cab, it'll take longer.

@Daewood: Spot on regarding Koyambedu. I'd taken close to 5 hours to reach CMBT from TIDEL Park, in December last. The Jawaharlal Nehru road gets extremely congested after Jafferkhanpet
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote