Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 8th January 2011, 14:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata launches the Prima Construck range in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
There are 2 types of registrations which i know of . 1. private registration and 2 . public carrier .
When a public carrier has to be registered the colour has to be yellow . similar is the case with school buses . I dont know if the rules are changed , but i still see new trucks in yellow colour . It has something to do with visibility on the highways i guess .
Correction, there are two kinds of registration.

1. Registration for private use
2. Registration for commercial use, ie the vehicle is to be used as a money earner, or assist in a way to do so.

The registration(of either type) has nothing to do with the colour of the vehicle.

There are certain kinds of permits that are required to be obtained and thus certain guidelines to be followed for using a vehicle in a certain way.

For example, an autorickshaw, needs to have a certain colour, yellow in some states, yellow/black in others. Same with city taxis. This is done to signify "public" transport for hire. Again there are certain other rules (rarely imposed) which apply to these kinds of vehicles. Also special licences for driving them in certain states.

A similar set of rules apply for a school bus, like having guard rails on the windows, a yellow colour for visibilty etc.

But not following these rules does not exempt you from registration, just for the vehicle to be used for said purpose.

As far as I know there are no such special "rules" for trucks, especially none relating to colour.

As far as I know CIRT does not do any vehicle certification, considering that they do not have any facilities for doing so, it is highly unlikely that they do.

Other than ARAI, I think VRDE have the requisite facilities and have been asked to certify certain kinds of vehicles for road use as well.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 15:46   #17
BANNED

[quote=julupani;2202046]Correction, there are two kinds of registration.

1. Registration for private use
2. Registration for commercial use, ie the vehicle is to be used as a money earner, or assist in a way to do so.

The registration(of either type) has nothing to do with the colour of the vehicle.

There are certain kinds of permits that are required to be obtained and thus certain guidelines to be followed for using a vehicle in a certain way.

That is what i meant . may be that is why manufacturers offer yellow so as to minimise cost after the truck is purchased so that repainting is avoided .

For example, an autorickshaw, needs to have a certain colour, yellow in some states, yellow/black in others. Same with city taxis. This is done to signify "public" transport for hire. Again there are certain other rules (rarely imposed) which apply to these kinds of vehicles. Also special licences for driving them in certain states.

Yes , true . that is what i meant . For a "public carrier " yellow colour was required . I have had problems in TN for not having "yellow" on a school bus and Tippers .

A similar set of rules apply for a school bus, like having guard rails on the windows, a yellow colour for visibilty etc.

But not following these rules does not exempt you from registration, just for the vehicle to be used for said purpose.

Well, without following rules , technically speaking the RTO is under no obligation to register the vehicle .

As far as I know there are no such special "rules" for trucks, especially none relating to colour.

I do not know the laws now ,or if they have changed ,but i can confirm that it was the case earlier
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 17:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Like I said, you can register an auto in any colour you want to, just that to use it as a public carrier for hire, it has to be painted in a certain colour.

And anyway such rules do not apply to trucks. And there seems to be no logic to have such a strange rule, other than a fetish for yellow.
Old 12th February 2011, 12:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors - Media Centre
Quote:
"We find the Tata Prima to be of a standard comparable to the global brands which we use in our other markets. With the Tata Prima, we are confident of reducing our trip time and hence transporting more goods with lesser number of vehicles in our fleet. Besides, the vehicle with a host of innovative features will also help us in our safety and productivity objectives."

After extensive product testing and evaluation, LINFOX has placed a bulk order for 250 Tata Prima 4928.S tractors and will gradually change its complete fleet to the Tata Prima range of vehicles. Since October 2010, Tata Motors has started deliveries and by March 2011, it will add 50 Tata Prima 4928.S tractors to LINFOX’s fleet. Tata Motors plans to complete deliveries in the next two years.
Name:  TataPrimaLTruck.JPG
Views: 3986
Size:  18.6 KB
LINFOX uses Volvo, Hino and Kennworth trucks in other asian countries, decided to go with Primas in India?
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 13:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, some of these will be used in South-east Asian countries as well. Though a significant number will be ferrying products for Tata Steel and Tata Motors itself, as Tata is the major customer of Linfox transport in India. As ofnow Linfox India uses Tata LPS4923 models.

The order of 250trucks is staggered over 2years and even more orders are expected as and when the other higher powered models are ready to be rolled out from India.

This is the special Linfox livery that all the Linfox trucks will be painted with just like all their trucks all over the world.
Old 12th February 2011, 20:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Well, apparently due to the higher volumes (over 500 are already on order) and issues with delivery of the ISLe motors from CIL Pune, the higher volume tipper models have been provided with the latest ISBe engines being produced now at Jamshedpur itself at the Tata Cummins facililties. This engine is probably a longer stroke model of the 5.9litre ISBe that is used so heavily by TML. The ISLe enigine produces slightly higher horsepower at around 277hp.
As i understand the 5.9 liter unit is not ISBe but the 6 BT which comes in ratings of 100 - 235 Hp.

Last edited by SAE40 in veins : 12th February 2011 at 20:20.
SAE40 in veins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 08:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

The 5.9L B-series is the older generation of the Cummins B-series engine. The ISBe used in the present Prima is actually the next generation 6.7litre model, which still share most of the basics with the older generation. The ISBe is nothing but a electronic controlled B-series engine. Without the electronics you can call this a 6BT too.

The original idea was to use the lowest tune of the ISLe for the 280hp models, but CIL has not been able to provide enough of these on time. Due to the larger volumes required by the tipper market, TML is probably using the latest generation ISBe in its highest tune which also works out at about 280hp.

The advantage they gain is the Tata Cummins factory in Jamshedpur adjacent to TMLs Jamshedpur factory can be used to produce these engines. This is because the TCL factory was mostly kitted out to manufacture of B-series engines only. But the TCL factory is pretty much a captive factory for TML, which utilises almost 90% of its product.