Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 6th February 2011, 09:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default SCOOP : Nissan Commercial Vehicle spotted testing EDIT : Now as Ashok Leyland

Day before yesterday I saw a Commercial vehicle SCOOP on trial run on the Chennai-Bangalore NHway.

The Vehicle had wheels similar to Volvo bus and fit and finish looked new era quality. The rear door had LHD vehicle written on it with a piece of paper and run smooth with not much of sound. I was following the small LHD truck on my ex-LHD TLC 62 so the driver of the truck was smiling at me in many times.

When asked him if the truck is Nissan one (I strongly believed so, as the logo cut on the front grill is a clear indicator of Nissan's logo), he said Layland.

I'm sure the TN21 is Chengalpet registration and Nissan factory (though car factory) is in the same RTO limit.

Another important point to believe this one is a Nissan vehicle is that the rear body underneath the door was saying NT400 Cabstar, I have heard the same model being launched by Nissan in China. Now looks like Nissan planning to make them in India for Chinese market ?

Link: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/zh...ina-13174.html

Now the LHD small truck scoop that believed to be Nissan. I have a question how did the law allowed LHD vehicle registration (even temporary) ?

Much better pictures are taken with JeepCaptain's camera and will flow in couple of days (front facia and grill logo placement included)
SCOOP : Nissan Commercial Vehicle spotted testing EDIT : Now as Ashok Leyland-04022011.jpg

SCOOP : Nissan Commercial Vehicle spotted testing EDIT : Now as Ashok Leyland-04022011003.jpg

SCOOP : Nissan Commercial Vehicle spotted testing EDIT : Now as Ashok Leyland-04022011002.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 6th February 2011 at 09:24.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 09:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: SCOOP : Nissan Commercial Vehicle spotted testing EDIT : Now as Ashok Leyland

You are right and wrong. Yes it is Nissan Urvan E25. Probably a LCV derived from the passenger van. Got from the AD 300TDi mark seen in your pic. and got by googling.

And manufacturing would be in collaboration with Ashok Leyland.

Engine spec
ZD300DTi
Max. power(PS/rpm) 121/3,200 Max.
Max. torque(kg-m/rpm) 27.0/1,600-3,200 Max.

Read this msg which addresses all these.

Quote:
Nissan’s vision for its LCV business is one of accelerated growth. Though we are living times of unprecedented challenges, our mid-term vision is to become a leading player in the global LCV market. To achieve our vision, we have set a rigorous strategy which is best explained by the acronym LEAP and its attributes.
Launching new products is key to serve more customers and meet their ever changing needs. We will keep our line-up within the limit of 8 ton gross vehicle weight, to make sure we focus on our key abilities.
Enhancing quality will be a key focus for us through the value chain of each product. We have recently launched our Fleet and Commercial Vehicle Center (FCVC) Program in the Middle East. We will not only seek the highest quality for our final products, but we will also look to incorporate quality through our sales and aftersales channels by providing customized and high-quality services to Fleet and Light Commercial Vehicles(LCV) customers in the region.
Access to new markets. We have huge opportunities in markets that are very large, like the USA and India where we plan the introduction of innovative Nissan LCV line-ups. We also see attractive opportunities in markets where we already operate like Russia and China. For the Middle East market, we are looking at expanding our LCV presence in Mediterranean and Maghreb region.
Partnerships. Finally we are open to partnerships. We have demonstrated it with Mazda, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Volvo Trucks, Renault Trucks and Ashok Leyland. Our collaboration is based on a deep common trust for the benefit of the two companies in a true "win-win" spirit. Obviously at the heart of our partnership mind-set, is our deep and on-going alliance with Renault.

Hideto Murakami
Corporate Vice President,
Nissan Motor Co., LTD,
LCV Business Unit.
Attached Images

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th February 2011 at 09:52. Reason: corerection
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 10:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: SCOOP : Nissan Commercial Vehicle spotted testing EDIT : Now as Ashok Leyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
And manufacturing would be in collaboration with Ashok Leyland.
Ashok Leyland has already called for dealers for their new range of LCVs. Thankfully, Leyland is going for new dealers instead of dumping the LCVs at TVS.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 10:54   #4
BHPian

nice scoop.this vehicle is on test from last 1 and half year. i had spotted this in pune
tushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 11:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I have a question how did the law allowed LHD vehicle registration (even temporary) ?
Siva anna, that seems like a test vehicle. Manufacturers are allowed to use temporary no. plates (TC plates) for testing and development, usually the plate has red colored background with white letter markings. BTW what is Jeep captain doing there?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 15:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I forgot to tell you, this vehicle also had Kanchi (or) Mandrine scripts on the right side of the rear body.

Once again to highlight the words NT400 Cabstar on the left handside of the rear body. Also this is a LHD vehicle, hence this could be a direct import from China for testing it's roadablity in India. May be Nissan has plans to launch the same truck in India with RHD conversion. I'm still remembering the clear Nissan Logo placeholder in the grill.

JeepCaptain could you post those pictures for all us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
BTW what is Jeep captain doing there?

Spike
He has added my TLC FJ62 to his fleet, He drove it from Chennai to Cochin last friday, thats when we spotted this Nissan.

Last edited by trammway : 6th February 2011 at 15:16.
Old 7th February 2011, 21:00   #7
BHPian

I think Cabstar is the sub-brand for all Nissan LCV. Remember Alwynn Nissan LCV introduced during 80's were also called Cabstar?
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 23:37   #8

Thats true. Cabstar used to be a sub-brand of Allwyn Nissan, which later became Mahindra Nissan, and eventually just Mahindra LCVs (when Nissan exited the partnership). They moved the manufacturing in AP to their Zaheerabad plant, where a lot of Mahindra vehicles are still manufactured / assembled.

If I remember correctly, Allwyn Nissan also had another sub-brand, Loadstar as well.

M&M sells these vehicles as Loadking and Cabking (I think Cabking is now discontinued).
avenger1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 16:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

This should be atleast with 2T payload (with twin tyres at the rear axle). This should find good takers if launched in time.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 17:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think it will easily manage a 2T payload, may be even nudge the 3T mark in my opinion.

It should be a 4 or 5ton GVW vehicle. Which is a very brave but personally in my opinion a foolish move. They should start somewhere in the 6-10ton range. In the 4ton market, the Tata 407 is just too well entrenched to make a good enough dent in the market to establish a brand. Starting off in the 6-10ton market, where Tata can be competed with more easily, take a year or two to establish the brand and then go into the full LCV range.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 22:42   #11
BHPian

Okay guys, the cab for the Nissan one will be much different. They have put the cab of some Chinese vehicle to avoid identity.

One such vehicle is doing tests in Coimbatore. This is a 1250 kg payload vehicle with 60 HP engine

Last edited by Jimmyjosek : 13th February 2011 at 22:43.
Jimmyjosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 22:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjosek View Post
Okay guys, the cab for the Nissan one will be much different. They have put the cab of some Chinese vehicle to avoid identity.

One such vehicle is doing tests in Coimbatore. This is a 1250 kg payload vehicle with 60 HP engine
I doubt, I can tell you the one which I have spotted is Nissan NT400 High end LCV for sure. Here is a picture from Chinese market

Name:  zhengzhounissannt400cabstarlaunchedinchina13174_1.jpg
Views: 12455
Size:  20.9 KB
Old 15th February 2011, 21:05   #13

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2011 at 18:02.
newinthomas73 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 21st February 2011, 06:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjosek View Post

This one is a different vehicle altogether.
fifthwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 14:04   #15
BHPian

Default Nissan testing Atlas near Bangalore

Nissan Atlas was caught testing by a reader of indianautosblog . Here's the article :

Our reader S.R.Vishnuvardan from Bangalore spotted the Nissan Atlas while he was returning from Chennai. The vehicle was tested at speeds not less than 140kph, Vishnu tells us. His Scorpio was hardly able to keep up with the commercial vehicle, which could soon find its way into the Indian market.Also known as the Cabstar (a familiar name from the Alwyn Nissan portfolio back in the 90s), this commercial vehicle is available in single and dual cab configurations. The model spied testing is the latest generation that went on sale in Europe in 2006, followed by Japan in 2007.The variant tested here is “Low” capable of hauling up to 1.5 tonne. It comes with a 2.0-liter engine mated to a 5-speed manual transmission.In India, people will call it a grown-up Tata Ace. The side indicators stick out from the body like those on a motorcycle.Given the highly adventurous and optimistic auto wallas and two wheeler riders on our narrow streets, we expect Nissan to house them on the body.

Image and article source : indianautosblog
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP : Nissan Commercial Vehicle spotted testing EDIT : Now as Ashok Leyland-nissanatlasindia1.jpg  

SCOOP : Nissan Commercial Vehicle spotted testing EDIT : Now as Ashok Leyland-nissanatlasindia2.jpg  

SCOOP : Nissan Commercial Vehicle spotted testing EDIT : Now as Ashok Leyland-nissanatlasindia3.jpg  

SCOOP : Nissan Commercial Vehicle spotted testing EDIT : Now as Ashok Leyland-nissanatlasindia4.jpg  

fz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote