Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 16th March 2011, 23:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2nd Bus & Special Vehicle Expo 2011: 9-12 March 2011: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Still puzzled about their sales chart, with so much variants and options they are not able to gain a leadership position in bus segment.
I assume you meant "Luxury Bus Segment". Overall bus segment both TM and AL are neck to neck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
TIV itself will be not more than 600(Intercity segment alone) and volvo having more than 85% market share tata may end up selling few buses at the end of year.
You are right, before Volvo, AL was the market leader in Intercity. TM has not started to offer these buses pan India yet, Their target is only 300 in 2012 and i think it may be easily achievable. But this should, to some extent, depend on what is being offered from AL. In otherwords, Volvo/MB numbers should not affect the TM nos, but the competing product from AL will affect this.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 07:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2nd Bus & Special Vehicle Expo 2011: 9-12 March 2011: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh

@teamveevee

I dont think TM and AL are neck to neck in the bus segment. I think AL is ahead, though not by a lot. But the difference is, TM is way ahead on the FBV segment, while AL is way ahead on the chassis segment,

As for the 300 number in 2012-13, it may seem a very small number considering the kind of volumes that Tata normally works with, but in terms of market share even 2 years down the line, I expect it will be close to 40%. This in a segment where they are literally non-existent. It will not be an easy thing at all.

The way they may try to tackle this, is to convince newer buyers to place orders, by convincing them of the economic sense of these buses. The other thing that may help is if Volvo is not able to meet growing demand of the market, thus allowing Tata to fill up the void in supply. Another factor will be how long AL will take to enter the market with a similar product to challenge Tata. Because AL will be able to offer a lot of the USPs that Tata will offer, like cheaper prices, easier service in long term etc etc.

Another question that comes to mind now, how is the import duty structured for CVs? I ask this in reference to the increase in import duty from CKD to CBU levels for manufacturers who import major components like engine and transmission, like Volvo in the CV segment?? If this will be the case for CVs too then you can expect Volvo prices to go past the 1cr mark easily, allowing a easy shift from Volvo to Tata and AL.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 14:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
You are right, before Volvo, AL was the market leader in Intercity. TM has not started to offer these buses pan India yet, Their target is only 300 in 2012 and i think it may be easily achievable. But this should, to some extent, depend on what is being offered from AL...
My point is even if TML offeres pan india they may not garner market share in a short time.I also feel the same for AL as well. Because Volvo is establishing a segment above and its tough nut a crack. Though impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
@teamveevee

I dont think TM and AL are neck to neck in the bus segment. I think AL is ahead, though not by a lot. But the difference is, TM is way ahead on the FBV segment, while AL is way ahead on the chassis segment,
If you are speaking about STU orders,even then there is hardly difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
As for the 300 number in 2012-13, it may seem a very small number considering the kind of volumes that Tata normally works with, but in terms of market share even 2 years down the line, I expect it will be close to 40%. This in a segment where they are literally non-existent. It will not be an easy thing at all.
But the total share of segment we are speaking is less than 2% of the total TIV - Bus segment
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 23:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Tatas S African plant by May - Hindustan Times
Quote:
Telang said the company would ramp up production of intercity luxury Tata Hispano buses at its Dharwad plant. These buses will come with Tata chassis and Hispano body styling.
He said the intercity luxury buses, pitched against Volvo and Mercedes buses, would be "competitively priced".
He said the company's newly launched half-tonne five-seater van Iris will be manufactured at Dharwad plant. The upcoming half-tone truck Zip too will be manufactured in Dharwad.
I am not sure whether this report is correct. I thought the Hispano buses are built at ACGL plant in Goa, Not in Dharward, Karnataka. Also it says "ramp up", not "start". Iris and Zip are made in Ace plant in Uttaranchal? I think the reporter is totally wrong here and misquoted Telang...

Last edited by teamveevee : 18th March 2011 at 23:12.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 16:34   #35
BHPian

The most impressive vehicle there was the Tata-Marcopolo CNG Hybrid. Also an amusing Tata Winger Interceptor - Intercept cows?
Attached Thumbnails
2nd Bus & Special Vehicle Expo 2011: 9-12 March 2011: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh-120320111277.jpg  

2nd Bus & Special Vehicle Expo 2011: 9-12 March 2011: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh-120320111280cnghybrid.jpg  

2nd Bus & Special Vehicle Expo 2011: 9-12 March 2011: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh-120320111281.jpg  

2nd Bus & Special Vehicle Expo 2011: 9-12 March 2011: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh-120320111289.jpg  

2nd Bus & Special Vehicle Expo 2011: 9-12 March 2011: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh-120320111296.jpg  

vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 15:57   #36
BHPian

TATA Hispano Hybrid bus.
The main features of the vehicle are:
  • It’s a series hybrid system developed with latest Hybrid technology and proven chassis aggregates providing excellent ride and passenger comfort. With minimal downtime.
  • The vehicle control strategy has been designed and integrated by Tata Motors and thus provides flexibility for optimization for example of fuel economy based on customer area or route of operation.
  • Other than Diesel, the TML hybrid vehicle is compatible to CNG engines, micro-turbines and also hydrogen engines, which will then provide a smooth transition to zero-emission vehicles in the future
  • 30% reduction in emission & fuel consumptions
  • Possibility of pure EV mode with range of 5 km
Source: www.tatahispano.com
Attached Images

ranjithrnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 19:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

@ranjith

The Tata Hispano Hybrid is not the same as the Tata MarcoPolo CNG Hybrid sold in India. In fact they are completely different in pretty much all respects, other than the fact that they both are sold by Tata Motors.

In fact I doubt that any part of the Tata Hispano Hybrid is built in India at all.
Old 26th March 2011, 21:56   #38
BHPian

@ julupani

Who builds the chassis for the bus?

SOURCE: TATA HISPANO
Urban Hybrids

TATA HISPANO presents two hybrid technologies for urban transport: one model is built on a Tata Motors chassis, and the other one on Alexander Dennis chassis, both with a series hybrid system.
This is the Technical Specification from the brochure.
The Diesel Low Floor Hybrid Bus solution from Tata Hispano in collaboration with Tata Motors offers a unique solution for low CO2 urban mobility.
TML Hybrid solution combines the best in industry traction system from Siemens and battery packs from A123 Systems along with TML’s proprietary control system to maximise the benefi ts of hybrid technology.
The Benefits
• Proven Electric Traction System from Siemens, used in more than 2000 buses worldwide.
• Full electrical mode possible for zero emission operation for short distances.
• Electronic Braking System (EBS) which seamlessly integrate regenerative energy capture to maximise fuel efficiency.
• Electric Traction System extendible to Pure Electric, CNG Micro turbine and Hydrogen Fuel cell buses.
• Although the initial cost of hybrid vehicles are higher than conventional vehicles, the overall cost over the lifetime of the vehicle is lower due to the savings in running costs.
• Over 30% fuel economy improvement and significantly lower emissions due to:
- Regenerative braking through which energy normally dissipated during braking is capture in batteries and reused
- Engine operated always at the best efficiency point
- Very low transient operation of engine
- Electrically driven auxiliary systems
• Minimal penalty in payload on account of advanced high efficiency Lithium-Ion batteries.
• Lower noise level inside and outside the vehicle due to downsized engine.
• Versatile energy management strategies which can be tuned to specific customer requirements,depending on the operations.

Driveline / Sistema de hibridación :: SIEMENS
Engine / Motor de combustión :: Cummins ISBe 4.5 E5
Engine power / Potencia motor :: 185 hp
Engine Torque / Par motor :: 700 Nm
Traction Motor / Motor eléctrico :: Siemens Twin water cooled induction machine
Motor HP / Motor HP :: 190 KW
Axles Make / Fabricante de ejes :: ZF
Batteries / Baterías :: Twin Li-Ion 600 V, 134 KW
ranjithrnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 07:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

I dont really know who builds the chassis, may be Hispano have some facilities to assemble such a chassis, as most of the other parts are bought out anyway.

The Tata Motors connection is most likely because Tata Motors European Tech Center may have done the design part of this particular bus.

As discussed in another thread, I had thought that this same design had been brought into to India and introduced under the TMML brand. But apparently this is not the case.

On a different note, surprised to see that the Hispano Hybrid uses a 4-cylinder engine, especially as this is a series hybrid powertrain.