Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 10th March 2011, 22:04   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Converting Non A/C Buses in to A/C

Here are pics of the STAFF Transportation buses in the GULF. Buses are from TATA mostly and a few from AL and other brands like Daewoo, Belhasa, Eicher etc.

First two pics are of ACGL TATA 1316c and Trans Belhasa[Chinese bus bulit in Kerala] form a Site Camp
Third and Fourth pic is an old AL Viking
Fifth pic is the non a c 1316c
Sixth pic is the AC Version of 1316c with Slave engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Converting Non A/C Buses in to A/C-dsc00154.jpg  

Converting Non A/C Buses in to A/C-dsc00155.jpg  

Converting Non A/C Buses in to A/C-dsc05554.jpg  

Converting Non A/C Buses in to A/C-dsc05555.jpg  

Converting Non A/C Buses in to A/C-dsc05170.jpg  

Attached Images

ranjithrnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 11:53   #17
BHPian

Hi

can some one please update me whether the 177 hp / 205 hp Leyland buses are fitted with rear engine or not ?. Also i am surprised to see in their brochure that these vehicles run on a/c connected to the main engine. I understand from most of the a/c vendors that at least 230 hp is required to connect the a/c directly to the engine. If not they are recommending a sub engine.
saamblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 12:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

As of now there are no rear engine bus chassis available in the market in India. All the RE buses that you see in India are pretty much factory built.

About running the AC compressor of the engine, it is possible even on a 180/200hp engine. The only thing is the less powerful the engine the more you compromise on the bus power with AC.

I think a few ALL buses with the 205hp engine do have AC ruuning of the engine itself, because ALL does not offer any higher powered engine. The only non-slave engined AC buses that I have seen in my state are ones running the Tata 1624 chassis, which has a slightly more powerful 235hp engine.

On the 180hp engines though using a slave engine would be recommended. Though some people go in for a ALL 205hp chassis but still use a slave engine, because they want to buy Leyland and still have good power. This in my opinion is the best option for an AC intercity bus for the time being.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 13:33   #19
BHPian

It is a good idea to convert non-a/c buses to a/c by using an air-con with it own support system ( i mean engine).

The advantages of using an air-con with its own engine are too many, and i ll list out a few here:
  • The engine is well coupled to the compressor & the blowers etc which results in minimal loss of power
  • The A/C equipped with its own engine (smaller) can provide air con even when the main engine is off & thus saves you a lot of fuel while idling & breaks
  • An Air con uses various speeds to control & maintain the temperature closer to desired setpoint. Out of the many options used to control cooling, one is engine speed ! so if it has its own engine, cooling can be better & more efficient coz the engine speed is effectively varied.
  • There is lesser stress on the more important main engine & thus the wear tear caused is lesser. (A/C causes frequent switching of engine speed to maintain compressor running & thus causes lot of wear on main engine if coupled that way)
  • In a few cases, main engine speed switching can also damage the alternator. If you have a sub-engine powering your air -con, it has its own alternator (smaller & cheaper)
  • There are various algorithms followed while controlling an air-con & if you use an air con with its own engine, it can monitor its own parameters better & has a log of various engine diagnostics.
The engines usually used are 2 litre diesels & are quite capable of providing effective cooling and minimal cost. Again, a unit with its own engine can be scalable & also easily resold/integrated with another coach later. i worked in this domain and for a major brand . I hope the info i provided helps in your decision
kri$hna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 14:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Oflate the 205HP 12M is not available any more.
230HP CRS will replace it.
Ashley2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 16:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

@Ashley
You mean to say that ALL have phased out the 205hp 12M without actually introducing the 230hp CRS engine??
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 16:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
@Ashley
You mean to say that ALL have phased out the 205hp 12M without actually introducing the 230hp CRS engine??

The 230HP CRS engined 12M is already on roads. The earlier version 205Hp was stopped as it was BS2.
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 17:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
@Ashley
As said its discontinued as it was BS II.
In BS III AL has prominently 120,160,180 and 230-CRS. The first one being four cylinder and the others are six cylinder.
wrt, 230HP 12M - VRL has ordered 100 numbers and KeSRTChas taken few.
Old 11th April 2011, 17:14   #24
BHPian

Whichever A/C you install, the cooling and comfort conditions shall depend on the insulation and resistance to Heat gain.

The Buses shall require partition on Driver cab to prevent Engine Heat gain inside the Passenger seating. The Windows shall require to be permanently sealed and glasses tinted alongwith heavy drapes / curtains.

Roof shall have to be double skin. It is advisable to install additional sheet metal on the existing roof with thermal insulation in-fill.

Most important is that the ductwork proposed should not only be thermally insulated, it should be able to withstand severe climatic conditions of Coastal region besides Water sealed.
Amrik Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 13:38   #25
BHPian

Guys

thanks for all the valuable information.
saamblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 23:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
As said its discontinued as it was BS II.
In BS III AL has prominently 120,160,180 and 230-CRS. The first one being four cylinder and the others are six cylinder.
wrt, 230HP 12M - VRL has ordered 100 numbers and KeSRTChas taken few.

@Ashley - has KeSRTC taken a new batch of 12M buses?? i guess the existing fleet of 12m Super expresses are based on the 114HP engines.
urzdeepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 08:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urzdeepu View Post
@Ashley - has KeSRTC taken a new batch of 12M buses?? i guess the existing fleet of 12m Super expresses are based on the 114HP engines.
Nope. KeSRTC has not taken any 12M Leylands recently. I guess AshLey was meaning KaSRTC here.

The 12M Leylands that KeSRTC purchased were 114hp ones - no new orders have been placed in the past 4 months, for sure.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 09:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The 12M Leylands that KeSRTC purchased were 114hp ones - no new orders have been placed in the past 4 months, for sure.
I guess the new orders will come only after the new ministry comes to power. Recently read in Malayalam newspaper that one supplier influenced the department not to place firm orders as the earlier negotiated price was low. Not sure how true it is though, i dont trust the newspaper on this.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 10:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Default Just checking

I'm also convinced that an AC is best with its own engine. Imagine having the 1.3 FIAT Multijet as the AC slave engine

Jokes aside, why is no one thinking of a good old generator for 20 grand, a HONDA silent one if you will, and a Normal AC that we use at homes. Can get it loaded on suspension struts to even out the bumps. Will it work or
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 11:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
... I guess AshLey was meaning KaSRTC here...
You are right here!
Its KaSRTC and not KeSRTC