Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 14th June 2015, 11:08   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Using "White Plate" Private Cars as Cars-for-hire and Cabs [Delhi]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As far as I know, taxis - whether Uber or otherwise - must have a yellow plate only. As hserus posted, white plate cars on hire are illegal. The taxi union has lodged several protests against this practice.
Ohh. So, isn't there ANY way to make money off a car with white plates legally? (Just curious)
(Like getting it chartered with an Office, or Giving it for Daily/Hourly Self-Drice Hire, etc)
nikhilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 11:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Your insurance would get invalidated, to start with - there is some fine print there about not making any commercial use of the vehicle.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 13:45   #18
BHPian

For driving a taxi, shouldn't one have a commercial driving license ? Believe our normal license would carry a word 'Non Transport' vehicle license.
couswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 16:36   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Converting Private Car to Commercial Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilj View Post
Ohh. So, isn't there ANY way to make money off a car with white plates legally?
Legally, I don't believe so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Your insurance would get invalidated, to start with - there is some fine print there about not making any commercial use of the vehicle.
Good point! I remember an insurance case quoted on the forum where the claim was rejected, as the vehicle was being used commercially (but registered / insured privately).

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
For driving a taxi, shouldn't one have a commercial driving license ? Believe our normal license would carry a word 'Non Transport' vehicle license.
Yes - Sample link from Delhi. Renewal is required every 3 years.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 18:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilj View Post
Ohh. So, isn't there ANY way to make money off a car with white plates legally? (Just curious)
(Like getting it chartered with an Office, or Giving it for Daily/Hourly Self-Drice Hire, etc)
Yes there is (not on hire though), IIRC there was this advertisement company that paid private cars if you let them wrap it with an Advt. around the cars' body & and drove for a certain minimum number of kilometers for the month.

The discussion was on T-BHP itself, can't find it.

Basically IIRC people concluded it wasn't preferable for anyone to do such a thing.

Edit
:
here it is (New Deal - Put Ads on your car, get paid every month!)
&
the Advt company.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 14th June 2015 at 19:04.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 13:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Yes there is (not on hire though), IIRC there was this advertisement company that paid private cars if you let them wrap it with an Advt. around the cars' body & and drove for a certain minimum number of kilometers for the month.

The discussion was on T-BHP itself, can't find it.

Basically IIRC people concluded it wasn't preferable for anyone to do such a thing.

Edit
:
here it is (New Deal - Put Ads on your car, get paid every month!)
&
the Advt company.
Well, the whole point of not having Yelow plates ,os that the vehicle can be used for personal use as well.
Having a Yellow Plate is far more preferable to having ur car wrapped around in Ads

Thanks for the suggestion though
nikhilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 00:40   #22

Uber/Ola as a matter of fact require a commercially registered vehicle and a driver with commercial license for enrollment.

I have a swift dzire running on their platform. Currently i want to sell off the car. Someone told me that commercial cars in Delhi which are less than 3 years old, their ownership cannot be transferred. Is it true?? This vehicle is just 8 months old.

How do i go about on selling it.
abhisek.parija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 16:41   #23

Hi All,

I wish to purchase a second hand car. I have heard that some unscrupulous people run their cars as a commercial vehicle for high 6 digit kms, convert to a private number thereafter and then tamper with the odometer to show low 5 digit kms and sell their cars.

Is it possible to know if a private car was on a commercial number earlier so that I can safeguard myself from such scams. Am not sure if the VAHAN SMS service will reveal this. Please help.

Regards

Gokul Mani
gokulmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 23:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisek.parija View Post
Uber/Ola as a matter of fact require a commercially registered vehicle and a driver with commercial license for enrollment.

I have a swift dzire running on their platform. Currently i want to sell off the car. Someone told me that commercial cars in Delhi which are less than 3 years old, their ownership cannot be transferred. Is it true?? This vehicle is just 8 months old.

How do i go about on selling it.

Yes, it's true, but why you want to transfer, so early
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote