Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Team-BHP Directory > Delhi NCR


View Poll Results: I have personally used their services and would rate them as:
Highly recommended 35 54.69%
Recommended 16 25.00%
NOT recommended 13 20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 18:11   #31
BHPian
 
montyguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 295
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

ah, just saw this thread. Being the Indian representative of Ascendant Audio and Steve Meade Desings and having spent time at driven, I’m adding a perspective so that things can be evaluated in context:

1. Imagine a shop, not located in a market, not even on the main road or so to say any prestigious area, having not advertised, running from what’s barely a 15x15 space in what would probably have been a garage in a building, stocking components worth right from 5k to 50k. It’s a shop where customers travel across the city to get their work done.

2. It’s probably the only shop where you would get the opportunity for a fair trial, on a weekday or with a prior appointment, they’d put up components in your car and make you listen to them before you are happy. At most times, driven stocks all popular brands right from JBL, Infinity, Morel, Kicker, MTX etc. Their preference for some brands over others doesn’t come in the way and is justifiable in its own way. Even for simple basic installs, you get the backing of ace installers and tuners. And their backing deserves applauds. My friends have even got stuff out of warranty replaced free of cost.

3. I have had almost 5 of my office colleagues’ cars done at driven. And most of them came through word of mouth... their own, not mine. In fact I wasn’t even present for 2 installs. While other shops push their installers to finish off a job in 2 hrs, an amp setup takes nothing less than 4-5 hrs or more at driven. They are paid well, not pushed, and I’ve seen people tip them over and above for their patience and attention. This ain’t a lajpat nagar or a karol bagh store you visit once, feel cheated and forget about it. I myself have no idea how many people have gone there recommended by me, or my friends, and many a times it comes as a surprise to me as well – as most friends know, I barely have time to even attend calls.

4. On some occasions, I have been witness to the strangest of arguments at driven, some of them have been amusing, some true from POV of customer. – to put it simply - yes, if somebody offers you a head unit cheaper, go get it. But try going to that other shop and ask only for the head unit and nothing else, he’ll most likely tell you it’s out of stock. On another instance, a customer was just not happy with the bass and kept on tinkering with his head unit, gain settings, but the simple logic that more bass needs more power and a dedicated mono amp didn’t go through his head, and he went away disappointed. Another case was MRPs being changed, but stickers not being replaced by distributors on stock. You can’t blame the store in situations like these.

5. Driven is glad to do only installs as well, however people don’t realize that when they buy stuff, a retailer earns and he discounts the install part of it. When you don’t buy, he has to cover up for 5-7 hours of workmanship. And boy, does it pinch people to pay. I think this is more of a problem with Delhi culture, for these problems wouldn’t have been faced in Mumbai or Bangalore. In Delhi, people think it’s their birthright to get everything free. They wouldn’t mind being cheated or sold a 1500 wiring kit for 3000, but ask them to pay 200 bucks for install and see!! Surprisingly, Driven still does it at very reasonable rates.

6. Subwoofer boxes are available in the market around 300-500. Driven charges upwards of 2000. However, again, their designs, workmanship, quality of materials account for it. Besides, most stuff bought from the store enjoys a very good buy back. While normally your used speakers wouldn’t be worth much, driven offers best possible rates for buying back or they wait till a suitable customer comes across willing to make the purchase, and on many occasions, the money is straightaway deducted from new purchases. Whether it’s boxes, speakers or anything else.

7. That said, I’m not saying it’s the only place in Delhi or the best place in Delhi, simply because I haven’t gone anywhere else. I’m also not saying that Ranaji, the manager, is a rocket scientist, or a car audio geek with knowledge of every little nuance. He however is an honest, reliable guy, available at all times to sort out problems if any. While things have their pluses and minuses and while enterprising young people may find many ways of saving money in other ways (power cables/boxes for instance), at Driven you have a capable manager and installers, backed by some very good people, who are available at most times – a service you wouldn’t find anywhere else. This shop is definitely worth a visit. What more, they acknowledge and respect t-bhp, a lot of new things have happened basis suggestions of some team members - eg - a plug n play solution for Blue n Me head units for Fiat that’s doing very well these days.

8. And they have no issues, whether you get your stuff from USA, wiring from Finolex, boxes from kotla, they do their job, if they don’t make money, they charge for it. If they do, they usually offer you a discount when you buy. Not that I’m in favour of it. I would shoo away stupid people, oversmart ones, penny savers, the no-budget but want everything, the ‘I know all about music n car audio’, the ones asking ‘I need a demo for everything’ with no intent to purchase, the price comparers… ‘but this is for 150 rupees less at lajpat nagar, so what if I don’t know whether it’s new or used’, but then, it’s not my store, thankfully.


And nobody dare take my name or reference. I have instructed them to charge extra from people whom I recommend because they won’t go anywhere else, and we have some money left for a drink, in case they fall out on theirs.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Your post has been edited since it contained one too many smilies. Team-BHP is viewed by people from all walks of life, and they prefer an uncluttered post protocol. We would much appreciate you restricting the smilie usage to 2 per post.

Thanks!

Last edited by navin : 16th September 2010 at 11:50. Reason: Removing excessive smilies.
montyguru is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 12:18   #32
BHPian
 
monkey_wrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 95
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I went to Driven a two days back (after carefully reading this thread). I wrote about it in the ICE forum, because I had already started a discussion on what I should do with my ANHC. However, I think what I wrote about my experience at Driven is more relevant here. I'm reproducing the bit about Driven below for everyone's benefit. The original post here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post2066307

Overall Driven Experience:
Well, I know there are a lot of Driven fans here (which is why I went there in the first place), but I think that the place didn't live up to my expectations. While Rana is a good chap, knows a lot and seems honest, I think they need to take up their overall service delivery a few notches.

- I'm a person who's crazy finicky about the insides of my car. (Make people dust their shoes before getting in, heh heh!). Anyhow, the entire installation had these fellows clambering in and out, which has resulted in my seats getting very dirty. Not only that, the dust and scuff magnet door trims on the ANHC now have slight grease/dirt marks on it.
- Further, they should have some sort of dedicated/covered work area. The work was carried out right on the road, with heavy vehicles plying up and down...which makes dust pour into the cabin. (I NEVER...repeat NEVER, drive with my windows down. I HATE dust). So my insides are covered with a few mm of dust now. Further, it rained off and on during the installation and since the team was in a hurry to complete and go home, they left the doors open which has resulted in a bit of rain and mud coming onto the door fabrics. Awwgh!!
- I think they should use some sort of seat/cabin protector. (Like some tower seat covers or something, temporary). This will keep the seats clean. All of you who have ANHCs know how easily the seats get dirty. The work guys obviously had dirty clothes, and are men of the street... need I say more? Maybe they should have clean overalls and work gloves.
- The main installer guy (this elderly guy, who seems competent) really isn't very talkative. I mean this nicely... as a person, and as a member of this forum, I always want to know/learn more about what's going on. And since it's MY car, I would like to know what they are doing (at least major steps) during installation. He acted like he was doing me a favour by explaining to me what he was doing.
- Though Rana is a knowledgeble guy, he was missing during the entire installation. So those monkeys were let loose on my car doing what they thought best.
- Finally post installation they really didn't spend much time tuning the setup. The sound was tearing badly (especially the bass) and Rana tried to convince me this was because my box (in which the woofer was mounted) was faulty and I should change it. I spent the next morning tuning it manually, and it is much better now.

Anyway -- I know Rana also follows these forums, so I don't want this to turn into a Driven bashing post. I do not mean to hurt any sentiments, these is my OPINION, and what's listed above are SUGGESTIONS which would, IMHO, make Driven into a quality ICE installation shop. I personally didn't find their work any different from the roadside guys who do it in Lajpat Nagar, sorry. As I said, they need to lift the bar and really concentrate on service delivery.

Last edited by monkey_wrench : 13th September 2010 at 12:20.
monkey_wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 23:12   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post

Anyway -- I know Rana also follows these forums, so I don't want this to turn into a Driven bashing post. I do not mean to hurt any sentiments, these is my OPINION, and what's listed above are SUGGESTIONS which would, IMHO, make Driven into a quality ICE installation shop. I personally didn't find their work any different from the roadside guys who do it in Lajpat Nagar, sorry. As I said, they need to lift the bar and really concentrate on service delivery.
Buddy, I would differ on your view comparing Driven with Lajpat Nagar stuff. Driven uses proper tools for the concerned job than Jugaad, famously implemented across Lajpat and KB. I put up in Lajpat Nagar (The Accessories market) and very well know how the majority works, Driven is tad above them but yes, they do have improve in minor yet significant things. Your suggestion of using Protective Covering on the interiors while installation is surely something we as BHPians look forward to. I could've gone to any store in LP or KB for my woofer Box but went to Driven as I was sure of good quality stuff and of Gunbir Veerji's training to the workforce there.

In another incident, a Crossover had damaged. Since the LP guy decided not to tinkle any further due he being unaware of the wiring I went to Driven, though the installation had not been carried out at the either place. The Elderly Gentleman soldered back and used Epoxy to prevent further incident of the same kind, I've never seen someone using Epoxy in Lajpat for sure, they usually tape it. Buddy, Driven represents the expertise of Gunbir Veerj and Jasdeep Brar, an assuring factor.

Last edited by tsk13 : 13th September 2010 at 23:17.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 20:58   #34
BHPian
 
montyguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 295
Thanked: 3 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
I think that the place didn't live up to my expectations. While Rana is a good chap, knows a lot and seems honest, I think they need to take up their overall service delivery a few notches.
yes, i agree with you. service can always be top notch. the installers can wear uniforms, they can use car seat covers like the service station guys do - but then, you know how much you pay at a service station vs a roadside mechanic. there are people who do top notch installs, they charge for it over and above the system cost. driven gives a discount on products you buy from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
- I'm a person who's crazy finicky about the insides of my car. (Make people dust their shoes before getting in, heh heh!). Anyhow, the entire installation had these fellows clambering in and out, which has resulted in my seats getting very dirty. Not only that, the dust and scuff magnet door trims on the ANHC now have slight grease/dirt marks on it.
it pains man, i understand. especially when you have a new car, and go within the first week for an install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
- Further, they should have some sort of dedicated/covered work area. The work was carried out right on the road, with heavy vehicles plying up and down...which makes dust pour into the cabin. (I NEVER...repeat NEVER, drive with my windows down. I HATE dust). So my insides are covered with a few mm of dust now. Further, it rained off and on during the installation and since the team was in a hurry to complete and go home, they left the doors open which has resulted in a bit of rain and mud coming onto the door fabrics. Awwgh!!
yeah, it's been more of a problem with the metro construction. i don't know of any instal place in delhi with a covered area - except of course mukul bhai's. the only place i remember was the v-kool showroom where the car went right inside in an air-conditioned dust free zone. again, v-kool too costed a bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
- The main installer guy (this elderly guy, who seems competent) really isn't very talkative. I mean this nicely... as a person, and as a member of this forum, I always want to know/learn more about what's going on. And since it's MY car, I would like to know what they are doing (at least major steps) during installation. He acted like he was doing me a favour by explaining to me what he was doing.
yeah, i know. but there are different kinds of people. there are some, who don't like being disturbed while they work. once done, you can always sit with them and chat for half an hour to understand how it works. i guess you learn these things when you sit with mechanics as they repair you bikes. it's zen and the art of seeking information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
- Finally post installation they really didn't spend much time tuning the setup. The sound was tearing badly (especially the bass) and Rana tried to convince me this was because my box (in which the woofer was mounted) was faulty and I should change it. I spent the next morning tuning it manually, and it is much better now.
yeah, tuning is very tricky. not many people are happy. we usually set the gains so that the maximum volume play can be utilised. but there are guys who say - this is so badly tuned, in my friend's car you can't raise the volume beyond 10!!!!! ranaji's people do it better than most, their basics are in place, though they may not be experts at fine tuning, at least they know what a gains knob is for, what an LPF and HPF does and how to set it. by the way, what songs did you use to test your system's tuning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
Anyway -- I know Rana also follows these forums, so I don't want this to turn into a Driven bashing post. I do not mean to hurt any sentiments, these is my OPINION, and what's listed above are SUGGESTIONS which would, IMHO, make Driven into a quality ICE installation shop. I personally didn't find their work any different from the roadside guys who do it in Lajpat Nagar, sorry. As I said, they need to lift the bar and really concentrate on service delivery.
opinions and suggestions is what we are all here for, isn't it? but honestly, have you been to karol bagh or lajpat nagar? is there a single shop that takes 4-5 hrs for installation. and not in a way that he starts your car, leaves it, so you can't go, opens another, then spends some time on your car... you know how it goes... while the store owners are trying their best to sell you half a dozen accessories you don't really need.

there are good shops at lajpat nagar as well... i spent an entire evening getting custom designed seat covers made for a friend - the fellows did a fantastic job. they began at 5.30, ended at almost 10pm, all made exactly as we wanted. took 300 extra.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 23:15   #35
BHPian
 
monkey_wrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 95
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Buddy, I would differ on your view comparing Driven with Lajpat Nagar stuff. Driven uses proper tools for the concerned job than Jugaad, famously implemented across Lajpat and KB. I put up in Lajpat Nagar (The Accessories market) and very well know how the majority works, Driven is tad above them but yes, they do have improve in minor yet significant things.
Haha, well maybe comparing it to Lajpat Nagar is a bit harsh Well, like I mentioned, I really don't want to stir up a hornets nest, just wanted to share what I felt there. My expectations were slightly higher, they weren't met...that's it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post

yeah, i know. but there are different kinds of people. there are some, who don't like being disturbed while they work. once done, you can always sit with them and chat for half an hour to understand how it works. i guess you learn these things when you sit with mechanics as they repair you bikes. it's zen and the art of seeking information.
Ummm not quite what I meant. I appreciate someone concentrating on the job at hand, and how idle chatter can actually distract. To be honest, I had a slight odd feeling with that guy. Anyhow, I may be wrong...and he did a good job, so I'll let this go.


Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post


yeah, tuning is very tricky. not many people are happy. we usually set the gains so that the maximum volume play can be utilised. but there are guys who say - this is so badly tuned, in my friend's car you can't raise the volume beyond 10!!!!! ranaji's people do it better than most, their basics are in place, though they may not be experts at fine tuning, at least they know what a gains knob is for, what an LPF and HPF does and how to set it. by the way, what songs did you use to test your system's tuning?
Used my own Ipod...no audio CDs in the ANHC unfortunately. Don't remember the exact songs, but a recent Akon/Kanye West or so song for the club type songs, a old Deep Purple song to test for mid tones and how it would react with older non bass heavy music, and some Louis Armstrong / Bob Coltrane tracks to test for how they would react to old school. Tuned it finally to sort of compensate for various genres.


Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post

opinions and suggestions is what we are all here for, isn't it? but honestly, have you been to karol bagh or lajpat nagar? is there a single shop that takes 4-5 hrs for installation. and not in a way that he starts your car, leaves it, so you can't go, opens another, then spends some time on your car... you know how it goes... while the store owners are trying their best to sell you half a dozen accessories you don't really need.

there are good shops at lajpat nagar as well... i spent an entire evening getting custom designed seat covers made for a friend - the fellows did a fantastic job. they began at 5.30, ended at almost 10pm, all made exactly as we wanted. took 300 extra.
Of course, been all over Karol Bagh and Lajpat. Like you, some experiences good...and some bad. As mentioned above, maybe bringing them down to Lajpat standards maybe a bit harsh...but ah well, was expecting better.

All said, maybe I'm a bit sore with the sort of careless handling with my car. On a final note, something I forgot when I first posted -- but when everything was done, one of those idiots wrote his name in the mud / dust (it had rained) on the boot of my car. That has resulted in sand related scratches / swirls on the boot. NOT something I'd expect from finely trained people, eh?
monkey_wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 05:38   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
So those monkeys were let loose on my car doing what they thought best.
Bro its a shame whatever happened to your car but naming people as "Monkeys" is not what's expected from an educated guy like you. Common i am sure those guys did there best to install things in your car and they didnt had any personel thing against you so lets be human and try not name them like that. (just my 2 cents so please dont mind).
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 23:45   #37
BHPian
 
montyguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 295
Thanked: 3 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
Haha, well maybe comparing it to Lajpat Nagar is a bit harsh Well, like I mentioned, I really don't want to stir up a hornets nest, just wanted to share what I felt there. My expectations were slightly higher, they weren't met...that's it.
there's nothing wrong there buddy. all i was trying to tell you was you get better quality, you don't get cheated and prices are same as what any other shop would charge you.

now, if you want a five star service, you gotta pay for it. call up some good installers, get it done. not that you ain't getting good service. you wanna get your film installed in an air-conditioned, dust free environment - i can tell you where to go!

and you want installers with gloves, seat wraps on your car, i can still tell you where to go! the point is, are you willing to pay a price for it? say a 10% install fee over the system cost?

even if you happen to, most people for budget installs would not. they'd rather go happy with a discount, an install that's better than most, and a few guys handy around to help tune. that's what driven is doing.

and for hi-end installs, they anyway have some very good people backing them, if the installs don't happen in their presence!

Last edited by montyguru : 15th September 2010 at 23:48.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 00:59   #38
BHPian
 
monkey_wrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 95
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Bro its a shame whatever happened to your car but naming people as "Monkeys" is not what's expected from an educated guy like you. Common i am sure those guys did there best to install things in your car and they didnt had any personel thing against you so lets be human and try not name them like that. (just my 2 cents so please dont mind).
No I don't mind at all! It's just a figure of speech, nothing more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post

and you want installers with gloves, seat wraps on your car, i can still tell you where to go! the point is, are you willing to pay a price for it? say a 10% install fee over the system cost?
Haha, apart from V-kool, yeah where, where? I'm totally willing to pay a little more. If workmanship is guaranteed. Open to any recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
even if you happen to, most people for budget installs would not. they'd rather go happy with a discount, an install that's better than most, and a few guys handy around to help tune. that's what driven is doing.
See, that's my gripe. I wasn't expecting Driven to be better than most, but better that everyone else! I was setting the bar pretty high, and completely concede that Driven is better than most. But when that most is of a pretty low standard (jugaad and what nots) then that really doesn't mean much right?

Anyway...! I think enough has been said, huh guys? This could go on forever, I just hope this helped in some way. I'd still recommend Driven, but would advise lower expectations thats all.
monkey_wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 11:44   #39
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,884 Times
Default

Guys lets not start debates on this section. If someone has had a bad experience or good experience it comes with the territory. Often the expectation of the people involved is also relevant.

MontyGuru, on thread like this you should introduce yourself since you are a professional in this industry (representive of Ascendant Audio and Steve Meade Desings) . It keeps things more transparent. I have edited your review accordingly.

Last edited by navin : 16th September 2010 at 11:49.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 13:41   #40
BHPian
 
monkey_wrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 95
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

MontyGuru, on thread like this you should introduce yourself since you are a professional in this industry (representive of Ascendant Audio and Steve Meade Desings) . It keeps things more transparent. I have edited your review accordingly.
Oh, i didn't know that! MontyGuru, I can feel your pain...as you do this for a living! Yeah, 99% of your customer base are probably bargain basement shoppers.
monkey_wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 14:33   #41
BHPian
 
ByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 438
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

I wanted to fit a subwoofer in my car so I tried Gyro. Gyro doesn't exist at this moment due to renovations or whatever, so I went to the other place listed on team bhp and that was Driven.

Mr. Rana came across as a through and through businessman. I told him I was a team bhp member and that I was unsure of my budget. He basically ended up quoting about 40,000 just to put a sub woofer in. Between struggling for breath, I asked him to bring it down a notch. And again, he just kept adding more and more items to the price list. This time, for a 12" sub, he quoted about 11,000. I clearly remembered being quoted Rs. 2700 for a 12" JBL subwoofer in lajpat nagar so I went running back there, and the same Mr. Gaurav from Ahuja car decor quoted me 2600 for the sub, which I'm using now without any problems (except alternator whine which whines away through the speakers).
I mean, call it Jugaad or whatever, but I struggle to earn my dough and it's just a bit disconcerting that I can get booming bass for 3k from a solid JBL subwoofer rather than shell out 11k for the same? I mean as long as the equipment is original and of good quality, what's the harm? Once I get the alternator whine out of my system, it's as good as I wanted or hoped it to be.
ByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 17:14   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I wanted to fit a subwoofer in my car so I tried Gyro. Gyro doesn't exist at this moment due to renovations or whatever, so I went to the other place listed on team bhp and that was Driven.

Mr. Rana came across as a through and through businessman. I told him I was a team bhp member and that I was unsure of my budget. He basically ended up quoting about 40,000 just to put a sub woofer in. Between struggling for breath, I asked him to bring it down a notch. And again, he just kept adding more and more items to the price list. This time, for a 12" sub, he quoted about 11,000. I clearly remembered being quoted Rs. 2700 for a 12" JBL subwoofer in lajpat nagar so I went running back there, and the same Mr. Gaurav from Ahuja car decor quoted me 2600 for the sub, which I'm using now without any problems (except alternator whine which whines away through the speakers).
I mean, call it Jugaad or whatever, but I struggle to earn my dough and it's just a bit disconcerting that I can get booming bass for 3k from a solid JBL subwoofer rather than shell out 11k for the same? I mean as long as the equipment is original and of good quality, what's the harm? Once I get the alternator whine out of my system, it's as good as I wanted or hoped it to be.
ByDesign, you didn't specify the Subwoofer brand, which I think is Image Dynamics going by the price told by you. If this is the case, Mr. Rana didn't quote 11k for a Sub available in LP for 3k, so nowhere can we raise fingers at him for such a quotation. You could've asked for the JBL stuff and he would've happily arranged for it.

Also to add, Mr. Gaurav from Ahuja Car Decor is one of the few honest store owners in Lajpat Nagar. He knows his work very well.

Last edited by tsk13 : 16th September 2010 at 17:20.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 17:29   #43
BHPian
 
montyguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 295
Thanked: 3 Times
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
MontyGuru, on thread like this you should introduce yourself since you are a professional in this industry (representive of Ascendant Audio and Steve Meade Desings) . It keeps things more transparent. I have edited your review accordingly.
are bhai, i already introduced myself in your pro section - do i have to do it on every thread? i'll add it in my sign off line. hope that solves it.

our company works as an import agent, i like Fi and their approach, we have imported some subs on behalf of some people. AA and SMD also come from Fi, i don't have anything to do with it except doing some t-shirt designs n small promotions for LBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
Oh, i didn't know that! MontyGuru, I can feel your pain...as you do this for a living! Yeah, 99% of your customer base are probably bargain basement shoppers.
no, you are way wrong here. a) i don't have a customer base, i barely have time to even attend calls. i work for a promotions company that handles some big brands. b) i love car audio. when my friends and colleagues ask me, i send them to driven... sometimes when i am free, i drop by driven on sundays and help newbies. i had plans to enter car audio, i still have, they have been plans only for 3 yrs, no time .

if you weren't bargain shopping, you should've gone to mukul bhai and not driven. your car would have been done in his merc shop, dust free n all. with seat wraps n everything. maybe you could check with him for a dust free film install too. but don't take my name, he'll charge you extra since you aren't taking me out for a tandoori chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Mr. Rana came across as a through and through businessman. I told him I was a team bhp member and that I was unsure of my budget. He basically ended up quoting about 40,000 just to put a sub woofer in. Between struggling for breath, I asked him to bring it down a notch. And again, he just kept adding more and more items to the price list. This time, for a 12" sub, he quoted about 11,000. I clearly remembered being quoted Rs. 2700 for a 12" JBL subwoofer in lajpat nagar so I went running back there, and the same Mr. Gaurav from Ahuja car decor quoted me 2600 for the sub, which I'm using now without any problems (except alternator whine which whines away through the speakers).
I mean, call it Jugaad or whatever, but I struggle to earn my dough and it's just a bit disconcerting that I can get booming bass for 3k from a solid JBL subwoofer rather than shell out 11k for the same? I mean as long as the equipment is original and of good quality, what's the harm? Once I get the alternator whine out of my system, it's as good as I wanted or hoped it to be.
boss, driven sells subwoofers right from 3-3.5k. all you had to do was ask... or tell him your budget. this is exactly my point. in trying to be smart, you go to the grey market - buy a thing 100 rupees less, nobody asks you to damp the cars, nobody has a clue on how to install components, how to set gain settings, HPF, LPF - then to top it, like myself and most enthusiasts, you don't wanna pay an extra sum for install - but still expect the world!!!

and isn't it outrageous to compare a 3000 sub with a 11000 sub? do you even know what you are talking about? or are you trying to say that he offered you the 3000 sub for 11000?

for the record - i have no commercial relation with driven yet. i like to spend time there, i get some discounts, i have helped them with their shop board. i help them get stuff from case logic. and gunbir makes me laugh. i'll leave this thread here, it doesn't seem appropriate for me to continue.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 21:07   #44
BHPian
 
ByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 438
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
boss, driven sells subwoofers right from 3-3.5k. all you had to do was ask... or tell him your budget. this is exactly my point. in trying to be smart, you go to the grey market - buy a thing 100 rupees less, nobody asks you to damp the cars, nobody has a clue on how to install components, how to set gain settings, HPF, LPF - then to top it, like myself and most enthusiasts, you don't wanna pay an extra sum for install - but still expect the world!!!

and isn't it outrageous to compare a 3000 sub with a 11000 sub? do you even know what you are talking about? or are you trying to say that he offered you the 3000 sub for 11000?

for the record - i have no commercial relation with driven yet. i like to spend time there, i get some discounts, i have helped them with their shop board. i help them get stuff from case logic. and gunbir makes me laugh. i'll leave this thread here, it doesn't seem appropriate for me to continue.
Before you coolly exit after making statements like you just did, I'll elaborate my post big man.
I didn't notice a big difference in sound quality (especially lower frequency sounds like bass) with woofers of the same cone diameter. For instance, with Gaurav, from Ahuja car dec, he showed me three 12 inch woofers. Pio, Sony, and JBL. I tried all three in my car and I couldn't tell the difference with heavy bass outputs on my music (hip hop mostly). The woofer which Rana showed me, Bull audio, worked out to 11,000 including setup (wiring etc.).

You've clearly attempted to make me look stupid, and obviously I didn't mean Rana was trying to sell me the same brand components for 8,000 more. And just to set the record straight, the kind guys at Ahuja completely set up my unit and explained everything properly to me with demonstrations. All the gains and levels were set properly on the amp screws, and my HU was set up perfectly to what I like to listen to (using the band eq.) as well as the high and low pass filters.

Your comment of not wanting to pay and expecting the world falls on false grounds. That's not my case at all. You have absolutely no right to make condescending comments like that. What I prefer to install in my car is completely my preference. I might wear a Rolex, but still travel by bus, what's it to you? I never said the woofer was 11,000. I said the whole setup with the 12" woofer was 11,000. That included all kinds of different parts with it.

And since you're defending Rana who you 'spend time with' and 'get discounts from' and 'helped make his board' 'who you got stuff from case logic', Rana quoted me 800 Rs for a silly wooden box to put the woofer in. He plainly said it was fabricated by a local carpenter and nothing really goes into making it. Gaurav on the other hand, gave me the box for 300 and charged me nothing for installation.

Last edited by ByDesign : 16th September 2010 at 21:09.
ByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 23:27   #45
BHPian
 
montyguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 295
Thanked: 3 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
...
you've got a setup you want. and since you best know what you want, i think you've been very wise in going to the place you've gone and saved a lot of money. i wouldn't be able to say more, unless i hear it, see what wires have been used (i hope not boss), whether the box is to specs etc etc. but you are happy, and that's what matters!

i'm not a big man. i have no reason to defend ranaji. my colleagues and friends bribe me much much more than "the discounts" i get at driven to get their work done - wherever it be ;-)

though i can plainly see now, in spite of all his limitations (which btw i have clearly mentioned), how much wiser he is than me!

i hope this post doesn't offend you, i didn't mean to show you in a bad light in anyway, i'm sorry if i did. neither did i intend to make a cool exit - just that t-bhp has some policies, and i knowingly wouldn't want to violate them.

there's a note from the mod - let's not get into debates - this is no contest - and we could rant forever. so now with your kind permission, kindly excuse me, i'll step back.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q! Sam Kapasi In-Car Entertainment 13577 11th December 2017 18:05
Driven.in launches Driven Cafe in Hyderabad Aditya Street Experiences 7 9th June 2016 09:32
Audio in TV less costlier than car audio? LNG In-Car Entertainment 4 2nd August 2010 12:11
Need Help Searching Car Audio in Delhi NCR ashishg2dec In-Car Entertainment 11 9th July 2009 16:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks