Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 01:00   #16
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 564
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Ford sells these lamps with magnets which plugs onto the cigarette lighter - Emergency lamp

I use one of these headlamps though. Very convenient when you need to move around.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 02:35   #17
BHPian
 
torquecurve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 598
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Now why would you insinuate that I'm lying about my own light being an LED? That too after seeing a pic?

Sigh.

Here, I've opened it up for you; or would you want me to click a pic with it switched on as well?
SORRY!!!

I didnt mean to do that. Just that the Casing made me feel that it is not an LED. Sincerest apologies.

BTW, would love a pic with the LED's turned on!
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 11:12   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,963
Thanked: 4,878 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hey Tejas, there seem to be 14 LED's connected in series?. Is so, would 12V be sufficient?
I have no idea about that. Been using it since a year now and have clocked approximately 40hours on usage during night OTRs. Not had an issue as yet. Brightness still the same.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 17:02   #19
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,178 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Hi,

Then one day, I went to this store and saw an LED light for Rs.65.
Hi Torquecurve,
Very innovative idea. Can you please send me store address from where you bought this.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 22:44   #20
BHPian
 
torquecurve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 598
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi Torquecurve,
Very innovative idea. Can you please send me store address from where you bought this.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Thanks. I bought it at a store called James Photo studio in Pimpri. However, I have seen this at some electronic stores near Dagdu sheth ganpati as well. You should be able to get it from hardware stores as well. Just keep your eyes open, I say.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 09:49   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Thanks.
Hi torquecurve, Very nice and practical indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
It is solar powered.
Hi dot, Looks very good. Where does one buy this solar powered torch India/Mumbai ? (I read - you had mentioned IKEA). Looks very neat. And a couple of magnets at the right spot would make this a very useful appendage of the vehicle !

And just a thought here on fastening such magnetic on vehicle bodies. Place a 'thinnish' cloth between the magnet and the body before attaching the torch. Will prevent scratches.

Last edited by Guderian : 13th May 2011 at 09:54.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 11:31   #22
BHPian
 
designersf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 602
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Hi,

I regularly travel at night (Almost everyday!) on some good as well as poorly lit roads. The other day, I was thinking to myself, what if, I got stuck (read - Puncture, engine overheating etc) in the middle of the night on a road with no streetlights or with streetlights which are useless. What would I do?

It is difficult to change Tyres at night. Also, my car does not have a light in the boot. This makes it difficult sometimes to take stuff out at night. The engine bay also might need some light when needed. What to do???

Then one day, I went to this store and saw an LED light for Rs.65. I thought it was a nice thing to use as a solution to the problem. But then, How to fix it in the car? I did not want to stick it (double sided tape). Also, for all that I wanted to do with this, I needed something which could be mobile. I thought of velcro strips, but then dismissed the idea. The other day, while cleaning the fridge, one of the Fridge magnets (those things you stick to the fridge) fell and broke and I solved the puzzle!!!

I took the magnet and stuck it to the back of my LED light with some fevi quick. And now, I had a completely mobile lamp, which I could use almost anywhere in the car. The total fix cost me 65 (Light) + 15 (cells) + 20 (Magnet) !

I am still discovering more uses for this. Due to the magnet, it can be stuck on almost any part of the car when needed. Hope this helps in case you are looking for a similar fix.

That's a nice DIY . Id like to know where you got the small LED strip. Which specific shop or do we get it online?
designersf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 17:20   #23
Newbie
 
ashish1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: मुम्ब
Posts: 10
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Hi!
Well, It is rightly said " Necessity is the mother of invention" So, Congratulations, to you on your invention. I keep a torch in the dashboard drawer. But, after few months the battery drains out and I have to replace them again.
Hey! I have an idea, Why don't you get a patent for this unique 'Magnetic emergency automobile light' ? As far as I know, you don't get such item in market also it is very useful.
Bye and good luck,
Happy driving,
Aashish..

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Hi,

I regularly travel at night (Almost everyday!) on some good as well as poorly lit roads. The other day, I was thinking to myself, what if, I got stuck (read - Puncture, engine overheating etc) in the middle of the night on a road with no streetlights or with streetlights which are useless. What would I do?

It is difficult to change Tyres at night. Also, my car does not have a light in the boot. This makes it difficult sometimes to take stuff out at night. The engine bay also might need some light when needed. What to do???

Then one day, I went to this store and saw an LED light for Rs.65. I thought it was a nice thing to use as a solution to the problem. But then, How to fix it in the car? I did not want to stick it (double sided tape). Also, for all that I wanted to do with this, I needed something which could be mobile. I thought of velcro strips, but then dismissed the idea. The other day, while cleaning the fridge, one of the Fridge magnets (those things you stick to the fridge) fell and broke and I solved the puzzle!!!

I took the magnet and stuck it to the back of my LED light with some fevi quick. And now, I had a completely mobile lamp, which I could use almost anywhere in the car. The total fix cost me 65 (Light) + 15 (cells) + 20 (Magnet) !

The light and assembly
Attachment 540950
Attachment 540948
Attachment 540949
This now can be used in the boot to light it up, Attachment 540944as a map reading light which does not disturb me in case the passenger uses it. Attachment 540939
Attachment 540940
Attachment 540941
As a light under the bonnet when you need to check stuff at night.
Attachment 540947
AAttachment 540946
warning light in case you are at the side of the road
Attachment 540945
a light to help you in changing the tyre at night.
Attachment 540943


I am still discovering more uses for this. Due to the magnet, it can be stuck on almost any part of the car when needed. Hope this helps in case you are looking for a similar fix.
ashish1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 17:21   #24
Newbie
 
ashish1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: मुम्ब
Posts: 10
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Hi!
Well, It is rightly said " Necessity is the mother of invention" So, Congratulations, to you on your invention. I keep a torch in the dashboard drawer. But, after few months the battery drains out and I have to replace them again.
Hey! I have an idea, Why don't you get a patent for this unique 'Magnetic emergency automobile light' ? As far as I know, you don't get such item in market also it is very useful.
Bye and good luck,
Happy driving,
Aashish..
ashish1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 11:52   #25
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bokaro Steel
Posts: 245
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

It's surprising that people are putting so much effort in something which is available very cheap in market. Sorry, no offence ment for the time and labour, but I have this light a chinese make which i bought 3 yrs back from my humble home town of Bhiwani which plugs into lighter socket and has a circular magnet at back. the light itself rotates and can be directed in any direction, the cost at that time was 150Rs.
The wire snugly goes back into light by rotating it. I had faced no problem with it till now

putting a image from internet for the same
Attached Images
 

Last edited by drsnt : 14th May 2011 at 11:55.
drsnt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 08:55   #26
BHPian
 
synchromesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: KA 05
Posts: 43
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

A very cost effective idea!
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 16:31   #27
BHPian
 
torquecurve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 598
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
It's surprising that people are putting so much effort in something which is available very cheap in market. Sorry, no offence ment for the time and labour, but I have this light a chinese make which i bought 3 yrs back from my humble home town of Bhiwani which plugs into lighter socket and has a circular magnet at back. the light itself rotates and can be directed in any direction, the cost at that time was 150Rs.
The wire snugly goes back into light by rotating it. I had faced no problem with it till now

putting a image from internet for the same
I dont know about you, but my car lighter socket does not work when the engine is off. How will you change a tyre then? Or what if there is a breakdown at night?

I never said this is unique, but something I made which could help a lot of others. Thank you everyone for your comments.

Last edited by torquecurve : 15th May 2011 at 16:32.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 16:40   #28
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bokaro Steel
Posts: 245
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I dont know about you, but my car lighter socket does not work when the engine is off. How will you change a tyre then? Or what if there is a breakdown at night?

I never said this is unique, but something I made which could help a lot of others. Thank you everyone for your comments.
yes you are right but only in case of electrical breakdown and supply to charger is disconnected else charger works when ignition is in acc mode in my car. if thats the case then also I would prefer to simply cut its socket end and place two battery clips instead of going all the way for making a completely new light.
And I have changed tyre in this light 2-3 times. used to see in boot, search something that fell off my pocket on ground while sitting in car and also on a rare occasion used it to read Map by someone sitting in back.
By the way I always have a mobile with torch now as living in government quarters does not guarantee light in stairs always.

Cheers
drsnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 17:36   #29
BHPian
 
torquecurve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 598
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
It's surprising that people are putting so much effort in something which is available very cheap in market.
Isn't that the whole point of DIY. Otherwise why do we wash our cars ourselves? Why do we cook at home?

And it really did not take much effort, but if you consider gluing a magnet with feviquik an effort, then well, I wish I had a job like that!

No offense taken, but I found it funny that you found it surprising!
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 20:43   #30
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi dot, Looks very good. Where does one buy this solar powered torch India/Mumbai ? (I read - you had mentioned IKEA). Looks very neat. And a couple of magnets at the right spot would make this a very useful appendage of the vehicle !

And just a thought here on fastening such magnetic on vehicle bodies. Place a 'thinnish' cloth between the magnet and the body before attaching the torch. Will prevent scratches.
Such a simple idea isn't it.

Yet to find such a device in our markets. Will keep a look out.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caliper Noise Problem - Common Problem But No Solution Yet vigsom Technical Stuff 48 17th July 2014 19:55
Hyundai Dealer Not providing any solution to my problem sumit_jain_usa The Indian Car Scene 11 9th June 2009 15:08
Installation of magnetic devices to prevent carbon build up? lordofgondor Technical Stuff 11 6th August 2007 16:36
Magnetic decals/graphics prasadee Modifications & Accessories 6 25th May 2006 00:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks