Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 19:58   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 1,006 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
Aroy

I'm thinking of going for Windshield change if my last trial on cleaning fails.

Checked the price of Windshield at Mahindra and they quoted around 9K+ and after insurance claim I'll be required to pay only 2.5K whereas aftermarket Windshield is costing 5.5K only.
Find out what brand the original windshield is, and then get it from a reputed spare parts shop. As no manufacturer makes their own windshield you can easily procure and fix it from the market at half the cost. This is when I thank MUL. Even my Esteem tinted windshield cost me 3.5 k with fitting, while the M800 is around 1K
Aroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 23:00   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Find out what brand the original windshield is, and then get it from a reputed spare parts shop. As no manufacturer makes their own windshield you can easily procure and fix it from the market at half the cost. This is when I thank MUL. Even my Esteem tinted windshield cost me 3.5 k with fitting, while the M800 is around 1K
The windshield is from SaintGobain.

I tried finally once again EasyOf Bang - Stain, Rust and Grease Removal Solution and voila it worked and now my Windshield is clean though scratches are still there but atleast I can drive in rain.
micrographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 10:01   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 981
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
I'm having problem in visibility during Rains. Even when rains are less like just drizzling, I find difficulty in viewing because of Oil or some greasy substance on my windshield.

I've tried all options mentioned above but have total disappointment as still I'm not able to get rid of these oily marks.

Can anyone from Bangalore help me ?
This is a common problem. One reason is if you have waxed the car, and used the same cloth to clean your windshield. Another is the prevalence of oil particles in our air, which coat the glass with a light invisible film.

The cure for this is very simple. I keep a small sponge soaked in a strong solution of Surf excel in a ziplock bag. Use the sponge to wipe the glass and rinse off with clean water. I do this every morning during the monsoon. Don't get the surf solution on your paint.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 10:05   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 308
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

From my experience:
Dont's:
1. Never clean with newspaper. Newspaper doesnt harm but the sand trapped in the newspaper scratches the windshield.
2. Never clean the glass in circular motion. if scratched it will have star glow effect when the light falls on it causing severe visibility issue.
3. Do not clean the glass everyday or I can say I you use cleaning person to wash the car ask him not to touch the glass. He uses the same towel for all cars and high chances of scratching the glass.
4. slightly dust the car if you see superficial dirt. Its more effective than cleaning and avoids scratch.
5. Noticed many owner just use wash and wipe when the glass is too dusty. Never ever do this. Use wipers only in rain and absolute necessary.

Do's
1. Clean the glass in shade only and windshield is not hot. Salts from the water can penetrate inside glass and make white spots and there is no way to remove it.
2. use plain water on the glass and wait for 20 secs then apply water again and use your fingers to clean the glass. I feel this is the best method than using cloth or other towels. Fingers sense sand or other particles and it will be gentle over glass
3. For grease and stains you can use any detergent or shampoo but after cleaning rinse it with water.
4. Atleast once in a month clean the glass inside. You will be surprised with the result.
5. For drying use moist chamois cloth. It will absorb the grime and streak free.
vijaycool is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 21:34   #80
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 19
Thanked: Once
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

How good using Colin for cleaning the windshield. I used to clean my windshield by using Colin once in a month.
satran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 23:50   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Help!!

During my recent car service at VW workshop, they have cleaned the windshield with the same cloth which they used for polishing the car. Due to this I'm facing problem in visibility during evening times as a starring effect of oncoming headlights.

How can i clean this ?
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 00:03   #82
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,262
Thanked: 10,567 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Help!!

During my recent car service at VW workshop, they have cleaned the windshield with the same cloth which they used for polishing the car. Due to this I'm facing problem in visibility during evening times as a starring effect of oncoming headlights.

How can i clean this ?
Mild Shampoo water, using soft cloth and scrubbing for few minutes and washing it away.

Use a Microfiber cloth and wipe clean the windscreen.

You cannot ignore even a square inch from the inside knowing how folks at the ASC can clean the dash and use the same to wipe the glass from inside.

Spray colin or any good glass cleaner and wipe it using a Microfiber cloth.

Good old newspapers (Not too much of that colorful print) do a wonderful job for this too!!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 00:10   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Mild Shampoo water, using soft cloth and scrubbing for few minutes and washing it away.

Use a Microfiber cloth and wipe clean the windscreen.

You cannot ignore even a square inch from the inside knowing how folks at the ASC can clean the dash and use the same to wipe the glass from inside.

Spray colin or any good glass cleaner and wipe it using a Microfiber cloth.

Good old newspapers (Not too much of that colorful print) do a wonderful job for this too!!
Thanks Parag. I have tried everything from Shampoo, Colin, Windshield Washer Liquid, Newspaper Cleaning but still not able to get rid of that wax polish and driving in evening times has become difficult.

I guess since I have got 3M film added to the windshield and the wax polish have got stick to it. Don't know how to get it cleaned.
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 00:18   #84
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,262
Thanked: 10,567 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I guess since I have got 3M film added to the windshield and the wax polish have got stick to it. Don't know how to get it cleaned.
Not sure its the wax polish stuck to the film that's causing this.

And since you mention you have a film, it would be installed on the inside and cleaning it with shampoo water is a risky affair due to limitations of washing from inside as you may know.

You may need to spend a lot more effort patiently and clean the inside first than suspect anything wrong outside.

I have so many times faces this issue, especially driving nights and the exhausts from trucks making the windscreen miserable. I carry 2 Liter water bottle premixed with shampoo that I spray and wipe it off first with a cloth and then spray colin and wipe again with news papers and it has always helped.

I don't suspect the age of your car (In terms of Kms or years) which may have made your windscreen dull too.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 07:05   #85
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 3,034 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Help!!

During my recent car service at VW workshop, they have cleaned the windshield with the same cloth which they used for polishing the car. Due to this I'm facing problem in visibility during evening times as a starring effect of oncoming headlights.

How can i clean this ?
I have the exact same problem!!! Gave my GT TSI for 1st free service to VW Bangalore Motors Hesarghatta and ever since I got the car back headlights and tail lights of other cars seem to have a round halo around them when seen through the windshield. Don't know what those idiots have applied to the glass. I too have 3M CR 70 on the windshield. I've tried colin and other glass cleaners but its been of no help. I am worried whether the solution which they have applied has reacted with the film and caused permanent damage.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 13:41   #86
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I have the exact same problem!!! Gave my GT TSI for 1st free service to VW Bangalore Motors Hesarghatta and ever since I got the car back headlights and tail lights of other cars seem to have a round halo around them when seen through the windshield. Don't know what those idiots have applied to the glass. I too have 3M CR 70 on the windshield. I've tried colin and other glass cleaners but its been of no help. I am worried whether the solution which they have applied has reacted with the film and caused permanent damage.
Santosh, the very same service centre spoiled mine too.

I did take my car back to them after few days and all they did was blame game on their cleaning chaps and finally they said it might be because i am using low quality sun film on the windshield and it should be removed. Though i have got 3M CR70 film installed. I just came back from there.

Funny is that after cleaning with colin or shampoo the glaring effect increases.
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:57   #87
BHPian
 
sanjeevgpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Santosh, the very same service centre spoiled mine too.

I did take my car back to them after few days and all they did was blame game on their cleaning chaps and finally they said it might be because i am using low quality sun film on the windshield and it should be removed. Though i have got 3M CR70 film installed. I just came back from there.

Funny is that after cleaning with colin or shampoo the glaring effect increases.


Are you guys sure that its wax and not something like paint/clear-coat on your windshield?

I had faced similar issue on my car windshield some 7 years back and none of the regular cleaning methods helped. In the end, I figured out that the problem was a thin film of clear coat which had landed on my car windshield when they parked my car near their paint booth. I had to use acetone and paint removers on the windshield to clean that off and all was well.
sanjeevgpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 17:15   #88
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevgpc View Post
Are you guys sure that its wax and not something like paint/clear-coat on your windshield?

I had faced similar issue on my car windshield some 7 years back and none of the regular cleaning methods helped. In the end, I figured out that the problem was a thin film of clear coat which had landed on my car windshield when they parked my car near their paint booth. I had to use acetone and paint removers on the windshield to clean that off and all was well.

How can I check whether it's a thin film of clear coat or not. They did park my vehicle for 2 days in their body shop when I had given for minor touch up.
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 17:20   #89
BHPian
 
sanjeevgpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
How can I check whether it's a thin film of clear coat or not. They did park my vehicle for 2 days in their body shop when I had given for minor touch up.
A good but bit risky way is use a brand new razor blade and try to scrape some area of glass to see if there is a layer on it. Glass is enough hard to not get damaged by a razor blade. Use a brand new one. If they parked your car in the paint booth, its definitely paint/clear coat.
sanjeevgpc is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 21:02   #90
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 3,034 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
How can I check whether it's a thin film of clear coat or not. They did park my vehicle for 2 days in their body shop when I had given for minor touch up.
Well that's two things common with our cars now. My car also spent some time at their bodyshop for refitting of a misaligned bumper. What I find strange is that the light refraction is even and consistent over the entire windshield. Clear coat could be the culprit.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo DIY: Windshield washer low-level sensor & dash warning Gannu_1 DIY - Do it yourself 27 27th August 2016 08:53
Car Detailing & Interior Cleaning - Auto Shine (Kandivali West, Mumbai) renney.varghese Mumbai 62 19th November 2015 17:18
FE Measurement - Clinical method and Practical Method vivaid Technical Stuff 52 3rd March 2013 17:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:14.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks