Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 2nd July 2015, 22:08   #91
BHPian

Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevgpc View Post
A good but bit risky way is use a brand new razor blade and try to scrape some area of glass to see if there is a layer on it. Glass is enough hard to not get damaged by a razor blade. Use a brand new one. If they parked your car in the paint booth, its definitely paint/clear coat.
Thanks Sanjeev, I will try to do it this weekend. Do you meant acetone is nothing but the nail polish remover ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Well that's two things common with our cars now. My car also spent some time at their bodyshop for refitting of a misaligned bumper. What I find strange is that the light refraction is even and consistent over the entire windshield. Clear coat could be the culprit.
I feel like kicking those idiots at the service centre. I am planning to go to service centre again this saturday and talk to their body shop manager as i stay just 1km from the VW service centre.
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 22:48   #92
BHPian

Default Re: DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Thanks Sanjeev, I will try to do it this weekend. Do you meant acetone is nothing but the nail polish remover ?

I feel like kicking those idiots at the service centre. I am planning to go to service centre again this saturday and talk to their body shop manager as i stay just 1km from the VW service centre.
Do one more test. Clean the bonnet/roof of car with water and after sun drying it, feel the paint to see if it feels a bit rough. If its a bit rough, than it's definitely over-spray from paint-booth. Paint can be removed with acetone/nailpolish remover but at times the clear coat is too hard and may require some glass polishing or special chemicals to remove it.
sanjeevgpc is offline   Reply With Quote