Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 9th October 2012, 21:09   #31
BHPian

Default Re: DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE

Hey buddy! You took me by surprise! I knew this is coming, but did not know it is coming so soon! All the best with your endevours. If I can be of any help, dont hesitate to ask!

Will drop in sometime at your place.

And ya, please count me in for the Goa trip.. !

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 03:51   #32
BHPian

Post Re: DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Once this project finishes, I will come all the way to Pune to see your car and then we both drive in your MPFI 118NE to Goa and celebrate your success!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
And ya, please count me in for the Goa trip.. !
Add my name to the list as well. Lets make this an Interstate 118NE meet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
BTW could you please suggest me any locally available IGBT that can drive the ignition coils. Asking you since you are in the field.
Well I am not exactly in that field but I will try to find out some information and let you know.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 12:19   #33
BHPian

Default Online Electronics Store

Hi all,
Found this interesting online seller who has almost everything for a DIY. I might place the order for IGBTs with him, if I dont find them locally in Pune.
http://shopping.kitsnspares.com/bon1...sp?col003=IGBT Single&col002=Transistors
Hope this helps NC1BAD as well.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 15:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Kits n Spares routinely has parts on the website that aren't in stock. I've been given a runaround on some products by them. Keep a watch over them.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 11:10   #35
BHPian

Default EFI Rails & Injector Bunges

Friends,
Here is a small update from my side. The fuel rail & Bunges are ready to be taken for Aluminium welding. The rail still needs provision for fuel input and for the pressure relief valve. The raw material was a 2 feet long hollow Aluminium pipe. The smaller bunges were actually hose nozzles used for feeding in LPG / CNG into the mixer.
Costs:
1. Aluminium any size - Rs 350/- per Kg
2. Hose nozzles - Rs 30/- each
I would say, the lathe guy has done a good job. But now the rest is with the skill of the welder in aligning the components. Hope there is need for a fixture to ensure proper orientation & parallelity between the injectors.

Adaptor to mount the NE air filter on to the Santro throttle-body & the spacer to mount the trigeger wheel into the Hitachi distributor are underway.
Note: Initially I had the Hitachi manifold, but later exchanged with the scrap yard guy for a Mikuni manifold. The reason being that the carb mounting flange is relatively larger and makes it easier to design a manifold to throttlebody adaptor.
Attached Images

Last edited by ilangop : 11th October 2012 at 11:19. Reason: More info
Old 11th October 2012, 11:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: EFI Rails & Injector Bunges

Quote:
Friends,
Here is a small update from my side.
Good progress there, my friend . What about the fuel pump installation, any update on that?
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 11:51   #37
BHPian

Default Re: EFI Rails & Injector Bunges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
What about the fuel pump installation?
I am yet to finalize the design for the surge tank. I plan to accomodate it close by the air filter box itself. This will easen the plumbing job. In addition to the pump there will be a fuel filter in between the pump & the rail, more to do the job of an accumulator than a filter. Thursday is the weekly off for most of the industries in Pune. So the sheet metal shops are also closed today. Tonight I ll have to freeze the design so that I can procure the requried sheet metal for making the surge tank.
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 10:58   #38
BHPian

Default EFI Anti-Surge tank

Most people know that there is a fuel - pump submerged inside the fuel tank. The secret in its construction is that these pumps assemblies are equipped with a small container inside with the pump is submerged (Ex: Ford Ikon, hyundai santro) or the tank has baffles inside so that the suction end of the pump does not starve when the fuel level is low and there is slosh inside the tank during braking.
Well, in the case of Premier 118NE there is in-tank fuel pump. The pump has be an in-line type or a modified in-tank type. Anyways, the pump requires an anti-surge tank to protect the pump from cavitation during braking and navigating inclines. After anaylising various DIY-EFI conversion forums and the space available in my car, I came with the final design as shown in the attached pictures.
This tank will house the fuel pump of MPFI-Zen. There are 2 ports welded to the tank, one to accept fuel from the low pressure pump which currently supplies the carburettor and the other one to return the excess fuel back to the tank. The fuel pump assembly also has 2 ports, one to supply the fuel rail and other for the returning fuel from the rail.
Cost:
1. 1 mm thick GI sheet (weighted about 800g @ Rs 65 / kg) - Rs 53/-
2. 3/8 hose nipples (2Nos) - Rs 50/-
3. Welding cost - Rs 300/-
A round flange with welded bolts will be welded below the fuel pump flange so that the pump assemblu can be bolted. Also some flanges will have to be welded once the fitment method is finalized. After which I plan to get the tank yellow zinc galvanized. I expect the total cost for this tank to be around Rs 1000/-
Attached Images

Last edited by ilangop : 17th October 2012 at 11:02. Reason: Extra info
Old 17th October 2012, 23:45   #39
BHPian

Damn ! you are good! What do you do for a living? Are you an automobile engineer ? cuz most people (atleast in india) cant really get this technical with their hobbies
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 08:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
What do you do for a living? Are you an automobile engineer?
- Yes, I am. But bro, there are more experts & experienced hand in this forum who can do a better job than this (might have subscribed to this thread and secretively watching the progress). I am trying this out just for the first time.

Just happened to calculate the theoritical volume of this tank with the inside dimensions and it turns out close to 1.3 litres. With the pump assembly inside, I expect at least 800 - 900 ml of petrol inside the tank (till up to the level of the side facing return port). Hope this should suffice my need.

While thinking of an adaptor in between the intake manifold and the throttle body, I came up with the doubt of what volume is required at the plenum. The plenum is typically the big aluminium pipe on whose one end the throttle body is fitted, and there are 4 outlets to allow air to pass to each cylinder. Hope you guys understood what I mean.
With some internet searching I understood that larger this volume is, the peak torque point is shifted to a higher rpm point. As I am not looking for a drag specs but a normal city driving spec, I need advice from experienced folks in this forum.
Secondly, If at all we finalize on say ''X" litres as the plenum volume and the current setup does not permit packaging such a volume, would it be fine to add something like the Yamaha Boost bottle / Kawasaki Delta box. Both are the same stuff, a small plastic box is plumbed to the intake manifold so that it acts as a reserve during sudden changes in the throttle input.
put in your thoughts and help me out.
- Ilango
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 20:52   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With some internet searching I understood that larger this volume is, the peak torque point is shifted to a higher rpm point. As I am not looking for a drag specs but a normal city driving spec, I need advice from experienced folks in this forum.
Hi,
May I suggest only one parameter change at a time. In the long run, actually saves time.

Re: your tank modification, I think material of choice is terne plate.

Great stuff. Keep it up, and keep us informed.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 10:21   #42
BHPian

Default Surge tank and temperature sensors

Hi all,
Found some time after sending my wife to her home town on a 5 day vacation. Well, there is some considerable progress as I was able to spend time with the lathe guy and the welder.
1. The surge tank took its final shape. It will be yellow galvanized for rust proofing.
2. The ECU needs a coolant temperature input. A hose coupler (as seen in LPG/CNG fitments) will be introduced inline with the existing radiator hose, where in the temperature sensor will be fitted in. The nut shown in the picture will be welded on the outer side of the coupler and given for galvanizing.
3. The nut for M-800 fan control switch will also be welded in the hose coupler, in case there is a need for an electric fan. As you know, the ECU tries to run on cold-start-enrichment mode till the right engine temperature is reached. As the 118NE's fan runs all the time, this is could probably prolong the warm-up period. Will have to confirm once system is in place. Also electric fan conversion is also not in the scope this EFI conversion exercise for now.
4. A milling machine made holes for orienting and accomodating the bunges for injector. The bunges have been welded (pics tomorrow) and I have applied Car-patch paste (metal paste) for having a better finish of the Aluminium welded joints and ensure proof against leaks.

-Ilango
Attached Images

Old 29th October 2012, 17:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While thinking of an adaptor in between the intake manifold and the throttle body, I came up with the doubt of what volume is required at the plenum. The plenum is typically the big aluminium pipe on whose one end the throttle body is fitted, and there are 4 outlets to allow air to pass to each cylinder. Hope you guys understood what I mean.
With some internet searching I understood that larger this volume is, the peak torque point is shifted to a higher rpm point. As I am not looking for a drag specs but a normal city driving spec,
For a normal city driving spec - check your speed that you do normally and what rpm that corresponds to. Plan the Peak Torque in that RPM band. This would give you the instantaneous surge required at all times without the use of the Delta Box thingy.

The length of the primary and secondary headers also help shift the torque points / bands.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 18:32   #44
BHPian

Things are shaping up pretty good, awesome work . Will be following this thread closely, interesting stuff. Also good to see someone from Neyveli here
nim_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 00:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
- Yes, I am. But bro, there are more experts & experienced hand in this forum who can do a better job than this
I disagree

I'm amazed at the dedication you have shown to do the research required. Though I cannot help you with my brains or knowledge (or the lack there of it ) , I have all my best wishes to you.

Its great to have people like you on the forum.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote