Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2013, 17:39   #1
BHPian
 
DeepakMenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 145 Times
Default DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

I have been meaning to change my engine oil DIY for a long time, it always made sense to me as i can do it whenever i feel like and not miss a oil change because i get buzy to get to a workshop.However I never liked the idea of going under the car even under a jack stand as unlike most of the cars, a W124 E220 has a heavy metal shield which needs to be removed to gain access to the drain bolt, in no way it was a easy task managing a big piece of metal to reach a bolt. And even if your reach the bolt; you have to worry about washers, slipping the bolt etc. Thats not how MB does it.. They use a extractor !!!

So i am search started for a suitable engine oil extractor, and i found a dealer in coimbator for Pella 650, ideal for my car, it hold more oil than my capacity and it a fairly strong piece of unit

I placed the order for the following
1. Pella 650 INR 7850 shipped door step from the dealer
2. Engine Oil
3. Air filter
4. Oil filter

Jatin from wagon works helped me get the parts and boosted my confidence it giving it a try

So here is the mini review of
What comes in the box
  1. A extractor with a hand pump for vacuum
  2. Two extension hose of different size, clearly marked in red and black
What I liked
  1. Obviously the dealer in Coimbatore; it was a smooth dealing
  2. Sturdy construction, seems like a life long product
  3. ease to use; just few pumps required
  4. removes even the last drop of oil from engine; its nice to hear the slurrp slurrp as it try to suck the last drops
  5. The extarctor makes the oil change with filter less than 15 mins; with no mess; I can do that in a party wear
What i did not like
  1. Cost; at 7850, you must change oil 10 times to break even [Like i care]
Rest let Pictures do the talking; However some tips



1. Warm the engine for 10-15 mins; the oil flows better
2. Before you pump; open the oil filter to allow the oil to flow back
3. When you fit the oil filter; check for orientation; Replace the O-ring
4. You can also use the extractor to suck up any traces of oil in the Oil filter housing
5. No need to go for a gureilla tightness when you put the oil filter housing back
6. Pour just over five liters, and check oil level after 15 mins and add accordingly; Warm the car and check again after it cools down and add accordingly; Correct level is between the red tabs on the dipstick
7. Avoid fully synthetic; Semi will do
8. Clean the air box before putting the new filter
9. There is a release valve on the extractor; use that when no more oil comes out


Here are the pcitures
Attached Images
          

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th May 2015 at 14:49.
DeepakMenon is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 18:29   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

When using the extractor,you are basically pumping out oil from the sump.
Wont it be better to extract oil on a cold engine,when whole of the engine oil has settled down in the sump?
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 19:36   #3
BHPian
 
DeepakMenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 145 Times
Default re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

Not really.. A extractor creates enough vaccum to suck from everywhere.. You warm it so that oil flows better..

I got nearly six liters.. Capacity is 5.8 liters or so..

I even checked mb workshop manual and it also says warm to flow better
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 20:16   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

What I hate about these siphon devices is that quite a bit of dirty oil stays in the sump.
Conventional Draining is better, albeit messy.
nitrous is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 20:23   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
manikjeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 1,606
Thanked: 109 Times
Default re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

I did my oil change yesterday and yes i can tell you that getting slump guard off is no easy task, but being 24 helps. Also changed the fuel filter.

Got the fuel filter for 1100 and oil filter for 650. Will be changing the oil next month as well along with all the other fuilds.

also my average has gone up to. She gave 17 on highway today.
manikjeet is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 21:09   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 264
Thanked: 197 Times
Default re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
...thats not how MB does it.. They use a extractor !!!

1. Pella 650 INR 7850 shipped door step from the dealer
Thats quite an expensive investment for a Do-it-yourself. It is professional grade. Did you search for any cheaper alternatives ?
Ravindra M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 21:24   #7
BHPian
 
DeepakMenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 145 Times
Default

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!.

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

There are cheaper alternatives. However they are not really well made. When you buy, why not buy the best you can get your hands on.

I don't mind the expense. Adds to my comprehensive tool chest.

Well the world is divided on drain bolt and extractors. In mind both remove same amount of oil. One is cheaper, Other is for lazy bums like me.

I extracted the same quantity I put in last time. So don't think drain can beat it.. Unless you are draining for the last drop overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
I did my oil change yesterday and yes i can tell you that getting slump guard off is no easy task, but being 24 helps. Also changed the fuel filter.

Got the fuel filter for 1100 and oil filter for 650. Will be changing the oil next month as well along with all the other fuilds.

also my average has gone up to. She gave 17 on highway today.

Oh come on, 34 does not make me a old man. Btw you did it yourself or had it done in front of you.

What fuel filter did you use.

If E220 your mileage is unbelievable. I can bet you are calculating it wrong. Mb spec was 14. But you never know.

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2013 at 15:38. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
DeepakMenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 16:42   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
manikjeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 1,606
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Oh come on, 34 does not make me a old man. Btw you did it yourself or had it done in front of you.

What fuel filter did you use.

If E220 your mileage is unbelievable. I can bet you are calculating it wrong. Mb spec was 14. But you never know.
No way sir That Doesn't make you old.

Yes sir did it on my own.I love to get dirty on weekends. Also used Abro I think engine flush.

Bosch Fuel filter from the main dealers.

I calculated from Brim to Brim total KM traveled were 127 and I filled her up with 7.47 L of fuel.
manikjeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 20:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,063
Thanked: 6,211 Times
Default Re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
What I hate about these siphon devices is that quite a bit of dirty oil stays in the sump.
Conventional Draining is better, albeit messy.
Well, interestingly enough, you will find that on many modern cars, including Mercedes, using these siphoning method is the actual prescribed method for the dealers workshop. I don't think it makes any difference, other than the siphoning method is probably faster. Maybe there is more to it.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with the old used oil here in India. Can you depose of it properly?

In the USA all car parts shops had big containers for you to take your used dirty oil to. And it got recycled properly.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 14:31   #10
BHPian
 
DeepakMenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, interestingly enough, you will find that on many modern cars, including Mercedes, using these siphoning method is the actual prescribed method for the dealers workshop. I don't think it makes any difference, other than the siphoning method is probably faster. Maybe there is more to it.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with the old used oil here in India. Can you depose of it properly?

In the USA all car parts shops had big containers for you to take your used dirty oil to. And it got recycled properly.

Jeroen

Well you are right Jeroen; most of the OEM use it at their workshop as it is cleaner, faster and it removes all oil and debri. People think that draining removes more debri as vacuum may not be able to pull it up, however in my point of view if there is such debri in your engine then you have a bigger worry than just draining oil.


Well to be honest I do not know where to dispose off the oil, at the moment it is filled in a oil container. Will check with some local mechs what do they do
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 14:56   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default Re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Well you are right Jeroen; most of the OEM use it at their workshop as it is cleaner, faster and it removes all oil and debri. People think that draining removes more debri as vacuum may not be able to pull it up, however in my point of view if there is such debri in your engine then you have a bigger worry than just draining oil.


Well to be honest I do not know where to dispose off the oil, at the moment it is filled in a oil container. Will check with some local mechs what do they do
Old oil is sold. At a local roadside workshop, the mech always collects the oil, and then reg-pickers buy it at a nomial rate (10-20rs for 5-6 liters of oil)
What they do with it... I do not know.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 15:04   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,256 Times
Default Re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Old oil is sold. At a local roadside workshop, the mech always collects the oil, and then reg-pickers buy it at a nomial rate (10-20rs for 5-6 liters of oil)
What they do with it... I do not know.

What i have heard from the garages is the old oil is used as one of the component of furnace oil . It is also used as a lubricating layer while laying down asbestos sheets to prevent them from sticking together. Also used in the construction of apartments/huge buildings when putting on the moulds for the roofs. And used engine oil has huge demand!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 17th September 2013 at 15:07.
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 17:06   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,063
Thanked: 6,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

What i have heard from the garages is the old oil is used as one of the component of furnace oil . It is also used as a lubricating layer while laying down asbestos sheets to prevent them from sticking together. Also used in the construction of apartments/huge buildings when putting on the moulds for the roofs. And used engine oil has huge demand!
Interesting. In Europe you might have to pay for getting rid of your old oil. Mainly because it needs to be disposed of in a very controlled and environmental friendly way and that always cost money.

In the USA it was free.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 18:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default Re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
W124 E220 has a heavy metal shield which needs to be removed to gain access to the drain bolt, in no way it was a easy task managing a big piece of metal to reach a bolt.
Very informative, Thanks!

Is the sump guard is only on the Indian model W124?

My buddy has a ML320 complained his oil changes cost him extra because his mech says he has to use something like this! It wasn't clear to me then
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 18:36   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 728
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Old oil is sold. At a local roadside workshop, the mech always collects the oil, and then reg-pickers buy it at a nomial rate (10-20rs for 5-6 liters of oil)
What they do with it... I do not know.
It was used to spray the underside of cars.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY neosmart Technical Stuff 77 29th June 2017 11:16
DIY: Oil Change - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93) aah78 DIY - Do it yourself 13 9th February 2016 11:54
Swift Vdi oil change - DIY shibujp DIY - Do it yourself 22 20th December 2014 19:45
Mercedes E220 W124 - Engine oil? akshay4587 Technical Stuff 12 19th August 2014 19:22
RTO Formalities for Engine change in Kerala (XDP4.9 engine to the XD3 engine) 4x4addict Modifications & Accessories 16 14th April 2009 21:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks