Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 9th November 2013, 09:30   #16
BHPian

Default Re: DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Get hold of a Service Manual for a Swift Diesel and you just have to find one thing - The wire/Pin from the ECM that gives the Tacho Signal.
As told to me, the wire/Pin from ECM that gives the Tacho Signal is not included in Ldi as this variant doesnt get an OEM tacho. Please correct me if Im wrong.
slamnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 09:57   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post

As told to me, the wire/Pin from ECM that gives the Tacho Signal is not included in Ldi as this variant doesnt get an OEM tacho. Please correct me if Im wrong.
You will still have the ECM pin/wire giving tacho signal in LDi anyways. I am darn sure.
When they connect the OBD Scanner it obviously shows Engine speed which is nothing but the RPM and the same is read from the ECM.
It will be a very rare case that MSIL will use different ECMs for variants of the same Make.
Even the fuse boxes have empty space for ABS or AIRBAGS in lower end variants.
So go ahead, get friendly with that mechanic and get hold of the Pin Out diagram and you'll know where the ECM signal comes from.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 10:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even if tacho is absent, at least the PS module will be receiving engine speed signal. Hence, as long as that is there, you could always tap the engine speed signal from the PS module at least. Now if PS module is getting the signal, it should be sent from somewhere, ie mostly the ECU itself. So unlike the WagonR, the instrument cluster may not receive engine speed signal. But at least the PS module must receive. A quick glance at the PS module diagram in the workshop manual must show which pin has this signal coming.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 10:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
[b]The Epilogue :
Great job there bud. The ride does have a facelift now! Was just curious to know if this ia possible for a ddis engine? Like a dzire l.Di?
bullet_chacha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 14:50   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I searched the Service manuals of the Swift, SX4 and came to know that the PS modules are indeed identical when it comes to connections. And the Brown wire rule is also holding good. Here are the snaps from both service manuals:

Swift:
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-suzuki-swift-workshop-manual1.jpg

DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-suzuki-swift-workshop-manual2.jpg

SX4:
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-rw415_4160001.jpg

DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-rw4160002.jpg

Hence I think one can tap the signal from pin 12 of the main connector.
audioholic is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 16:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So go ahead, get friendly with that mechanic and get hold of the Pin Out diagram and you'll know where the ECM signal comes from.
I had immense difficulty in sourcing the A-Star/Ritz tacho in Delhi when I needed to install one in my Alto (old model). Could you please tell me where you got it from?

I would suggest that you install a fuse in the Tacho circuitry (+ terminal) and on the signal wire so that, even in the off chance that wires are shorted, at least your tacho and the P/S module are saved.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 18:20   #22
BHPian

Is it not simpler for wagon r dzire and swift lxi to buy the vxi cluster and fit it ? I fitted the alto vxi cluster with the tacho to my lxi alto . It worked perfectly well till I sold the car . P.S. I too have the alto service manual . The pin outs for lxi and vxi were the same . My alto was 2004 lxi .

Last edited by anky : 9th November 2013 at 18:21.
anky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 18:36   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Is it not simpler for wagon r dzire and swift lxi to buy the vxi cluster and fit it ? I fitted the alto vxi cluster with the tacho to my lxi alto . It worked perfectly well till I sold the car . P.S. I too have the alto service manual . The pin outs for lxi and vxi were the same . My alto was 2004 lxi .
I think changing the cluster is a near 10k expense for a swift. And unlike the Alto, the swift will have a different wiring harness and connection. Hence that is more complicated than adding a tacho.
Old 10th November 2013, 12:06   #24
BHPian

Nice work, and a serious DIY stuff. I'd been thinking of fitting the Ritz tacho for my 2005 Zen Lxi. Couldn't find any good shop who does it. Thanks for sharing. It was very informative.
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 10:53   #25

Quote:

With the tacho fit on dash tray it was time to do the wiring for same in car. We decided not to cut/splice the brown wire going to PS module but tap a parallel feed from the connector. Since the PS module has the standard connector it was pretty easy to tap. I have highlighted the brown wire below. The blue wire is the parallel feed.
Attachment 1162636
Attachment 1162635

cheers
Vishwas
I have a DZire LDI and would very much want to put in a Ritz's Tacho. Do you happen to have a picture of how to take the parallel feed from the connector?? Also what is the price of the Ritz tacho if you know??
driftrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 10:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Thanks Vishwas. That would be great if you could check in your gypsy. My gypsy has a smaller aftermarket tacho which was there when I purchased it but doesn't work.
A source tells me it is the orange wire from the ECM. Yet to check it myself. Btw the old aftermarket tacho shall be taking feed from coil right? You can stress test it by feeding 12V supply and see if the needle jumps
Disclaimer : I have no idea what good or bad will this do to your tacho, but thats how I have tested quite a few of them. Take your call.

Quote:
I concur with Parag that it is highly unlikely that Ldi and Vdi will have different ECM. Its normally the wiring harness, which is different (As in case of K10 WagonR) and hence there is no wire in meter console for tacho signal.
You can always take the feed from EPS module as it is vehicle and engine speed sensitive as clarified by Audioholic. Check the excellent grabs of Swift service manual he has posted below which clarify it is indeed the brown wire only in Swift and SX4 which carry tacho signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
Great job there bud. The ride does have a facelift now! Was just curious to know if this ia possible for a ddis engine? Like a dzire l.Di?
Thanks. Kindly go through the thread, there is enough material on installing tacho in Ldi versions of DDIS engine to munch on. Do post if you have any further query, the experts here will guide you.
OT - Interesting handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I searched the Service manuals of the Swift, SX4 and came to know that the PS modules are indeed identical when it comes to connections. And the Brown wire rule is also holding good. Here are the snaps from both service manuals
Brilliant job audioholic
This establishes it comprehensively that all new generation engine ECM from maruti have brown wire for tacho feed. Kindly clarify whether these service manuals are for diesel or petrol models? Also if possible kindly post the ECM pin layout and meter console pin layout here as well.

Do you own or have ready access to these service manuals? Any possibility of scanning / photocopying the whole thing? I would be more than willing to foot the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
I had immense difficulty in sourcing the A-Star/Ritz tacho in Delhi when I needed to install one in my Alto (old model). Could you please tell me where you got it from?
I would suggest that you install a fuse in the Tacho circuitry (+ terminal) and on the signal wire so that, even in the off chance that wires are shorted, at least your tacho and the P/S module are saved.
No one will have these in ready stock and you will need to place an order through MASS. They have some new BS going about spares only being issued against car, so you might need to pally up a A-star owner.
As for fuse, IMHO in case of a short circuit by the time the lowest rating fuse blows (5 amp?) it would have already fried sensitive equipment like ECM and PS module. But then thats what extended warranties and insurances are for. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
You had the earlier models which were not under the axe for cost optimization. Newer models have different wiring harness for Lx and Vx variants. Also the dash mounted tacho looks way cooler than in dash tacho.

Btw I too own a 2003 Alto Vx 1.1, and my request to audioholic above holds goods to you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Nice work, and a serious DIY stuff. I'd been thinking of fitting the Ritz tacho for my 2005 Zen Lxi. Couldn't find any good shop who does it. Thanks for sharing. It was very informative.
Thanks Joe. I believe 2005 zen would have a EPS. Also in earlier models the wiring harness was same across the variants so if Zen Vxi came with indash tacho (not sure) there is high probability that wire would already be there.
Forget 'Good Shops' because there are none. Go DIY, this ones pretty simple and good for beginners like us.

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 11:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Joe. I believe 2005 zen would have a EPS. Also in earlier models the wiring harness was same across the variants so if Zen Vxi came with indash tacho (not sure) there is high probability that wire would already be there.
Forget 'Good Shops' because there are none. Go DIY, this ones pretty simple and good for beginners like us.

cheers
Vishwas
Thanks Vishwas. The old model zen didn't have in-dash tacho in any variant. But it doesn't seem to be very difficult, as many install aftermarket tacho in zen. I need to do some research on this. I'm a bit low on DIY skills but will seriously check if it's easy enough.
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 11:43   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Do you own or have ready access to these service manuals? Any possibility of scanning / photocopying the whole thing? I would be more than willing to foot the bill.

No one will have these in ready stock and you will need to place an order through MASS. They have some new BS going about spares only being issued against car, so you might need to pally up a A-star owner.
As for fuse, IMHO in case of a short circuit by the time the lowest rating fuse blows (5 amp?) it would have already fried sensitive equipment like ECM and PS module. But then thats what extended warranties and insurances are for. Right?

cheers
Vishwas
The service manuals I have is for Sx4 and Swift. They are for the Japanese models. However most of these things are same. We just have to ignore the features that are absent like ESP, Automatic transmission etc. I compared it with the Maruti service manual and basic stuff like pinouts, etc are the same. They are in PDF format each stretching to 1000 pages. Will definitely share it with everyone after I upload it somewhere. I too downloaded it from the internet and guess anyone can find it through a search. Either ways I shall upload them sometime.

Also I have the parts catalogue which states that power steering module is same for petrol and diesel variants. Hence, though the Diesel ECM will have a different wiring, it still has to provide the same RPM signal to the PS module. Hence be it petrol or diesel, this signal will be the same as long as there exists the same PS module. Also this seems to be a PWM or PPM kind of signal whose pulse varies with engine speed. However not sure as that detail isnt given in the manual. It only states that this signal can be measured accurately using an oscilloscope. Hence I believe its that way.

WRT spares just reach the nearest MGP dealer. They will provide spare parts without fuss. Usually service centers dont sell parts over the counter.

One must make sure that engine speed signal and the 12v or accessory signal , or the GND dont short. Else it will impact the ECU. Here you will be meddling directly with an output of the ECU. Hence, first cinnect everything other than +12v, check, double check everything and then connect the 12v signal.
Old 11th November 2013, 11:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Thanks Vishwas. The old model zen didn't have in-dash tacho in any variant. But it doesn't seem to be very difficult, as many install aftermarket tacho in zen. I need to do some research on this. I'm a bit low on DIY skills but will seriously check if it's easy enough.
Ok even after discounting indash tacho, IIRC 2005 Lxi would have EPS, Right?
PS module would be exactly below the steering column (it is a small black box), check its connector for a brown wire. If present follow my DIY guide to a T for your car.

You should buy a Ritz Vxi petrol tacho. It has worked for parag and many others in last generation F10D engine (old WagonR) so common sense tells me it should work on your car also (G10B ?).

I would suggest go ahead and take the plunge. If it does not work you can always sell the tacho on TBHP classified at 50% discount

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 13:19   #30
BHPian

Awesome DIY mate!

I've been trying to do the same research for my Santro Xing during my spare times, but has not yielded much results till now! Main issue being non availability of a standard Tacho like the A Star / Ritz for the Maruti's.

So my questions are:

- Is something similar possible on my Xing? I'm not an engineer, so DIY Is outta the question. I'll have to rely on HASS.
- Where do I source a tacho from? Will the Ritz one work?? (My logic - both have 4 cylinder engines ) If not, what specification one should I source??

My car's almost 8 years old, so warranty is not an issue! Experts kindly opine!!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote