Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 22:27   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,863
Thanked: 9,696 Times
Default re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
1. is it short in such a way where in a shorter person who has not pushed back his driving seat medium to way back won't be able to rest his arm on the armrest comfortably...?

2. Can the vento/rapid height-adjustable arm-rests be ordered from vw/skoda india or sourced from aliexpress or another place ? Did you try it ?

3. was browsing through aliexpress for polo armrest and saw some with the "front-aft movable padding". You think these might be more comfortable over the regular armrest just like the one in the golf gti which i suppose moves front/back and up/down ?
1. Not really. I was comparing it to the older aftermarket armrest which was extended towards the front. You can comfortably rest your arm on this one without worrying about the length.

2. No idea. VW/Skoda wouldn't sell the part separately AFAIK. The armrests on the Rapid/Vento additionally have an AC vent at the rear so this may be of no use on the Polo unless you find a way to route the vent duct.

3. Was this an OEM part or an aftermarket one? I don't suppose even the armrest on the Vento/Rapid moves back and forth.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:03   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 352
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
1. Not really. I was comparing it to the older aftermarket armrest which was extended towards the front. You can comfortably rest your arm on this one without worrying about the length.

2. No idea. VW/Skoda wouldn't sell the part separately AFAIK. The armrests on the Rapid/Vento additionally have an AC vent at the rear so this may be of no use on the Polo unless you find a way to route the vent duct.

3. Was this an OEM part or an aftermarket one? I don't suppose even the armrest on the Vento/Rapid moves back and forth.
1. thanks, then I'll just got with the oem armrest.

2. no point then.

3. was referring to some after market ones which have the armrest part moves back and forth. in some it moves side ways too with cigarette ashtray, cola can holder and what not.
rana_kirti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 18:18   #18
BHPian
 
Hells_Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

@Gannu_1 Thanks to your detailed steps I was able to get my armrest installed without a fuss. I was planning to do it myself and even started off but then realized that I did not have the right tools for the job. My spanner would not fir into the tight space to tighten the bolts. Got it done at a nearby accessories shop for a 100 bucks.
Hells_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 23:14   #19
BHPian
 
unknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 429
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

hey gannu,

I faced problems in installing armrest as lhs side screw doesn't tighten inside the desired hole, so used a screw instead & tighten it.
I feel my armrest is tilted towards left side a bit, not straight, is this because of the screw i used instead of bolt ? or do you also feel the same.
Lastly rhs plastic cover not fitting properly (round part) has some gap in it, its not fully locked/tighten with armrest.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 08:54   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,863
Thanked: 9,696 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I faced problems in installing armrest as lhs side screw doesn't tighten inside the desired hole, so used a screw instead & tighten it.
I feel my armrest is tilted towards left side a bit, not straight, is this because of the screw i used instead of bolt ?
Why did you have to use a different screw? Did the bundled bolt not fit the internal threading on the foundation?

The tilt could be because the top part of the arm rest is misaligned with the foundation part which is bolted to the carís structure. Please post some snaps of your current setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Lastly rhs plastic cover not fitting properly (round part) has some gap in it, its not fully locked/tighten with armrest.
This happens if you do not align the locking tabs with the sockets on the RHS plastic piece. This is possible. Please try it again.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 18:36   #21
BHPian
 
unknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 429
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Why did you have to use a different screw? Did the bundled bolt not fit the internal threading on the foundation?

The tilt could be because the top part of the arm rest is misaligned with the foundation part which is bolted to the carís structure. Please post some snaps of your current setup.



This happens if you do not align the locking tabs with the sockets on the RHS plastic piece. This is possible. Please try it again.
Reason for using other screw as supplied bolt wasn't going/fitting it into foundation.

could you check with your armrest whether yours is a bit towards left or not by pulling the handbrake up & see the difference ( see the armrest & handbrake lever) is it coming in centre, in my case its not half half.
I'll post pictures.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 19:32   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 352
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
@Gannu_1 Thanks to your detailed steps I was able to get my armrest installed without a fuss. I was planning to do it myself and even started off but then realized that I did not have the right tools for the job. My spanner would not fir into the tight space to tighten the bolts. Got it done at a nearby accessories shop for a 100 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
hey gannu,

I faced problems in installing armrest as lhs side screw doesn't tighten inside the desired hole, so used a screw instead & tighten it.
I feel my armrest is tilted towards left side a bit, not straight, is this because of the screw i used instead of bolt ? or do you also feel the same.
Lastly rhs plastic cover not fitting properly (round part) has some gap in it, its not fully locked/tighten with armrest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Reason for using other screw as supplied bolt wasn't going/fitting it into foundation.

could you check with your armrest whether yours is a bit towards left or not by pulling the handbrake up & see the difference ( see the armrest & handbrake lever) is it coming in centre, in my case its not half half.
I'll post pictures.
gannu, hells fury, unknown,

guys can you please clarify about this supplied bolt not fitting the into the foundation as mentioned by unknown ? Did you face similar issues with your installation ? Do we have to specify some particular bolt for indian version polo. I'm keen to order from the same dealer but want to clarify this before going ahead with it.

thanks.
rana_kirti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:48   #23
BHPian
 
Hells_Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
gannu, hells fury, unknown,

guys can you please clarify about this supplied bolt not fitting the into the foundation as mentioned by unknown ? Did you face similar issues with your installation ? Do we have to specify some particular bolt for indian version polo. I'm keen to order from the same dealer but want to clarify this before going ahead with it.

thanks.
As mentioned in the other thread, there is nothing wrong with the bolts, its just that they are longer than required. Just use a washer of sufficient thickness during the installation and it'll be fine.
Hells_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 20:03   #24
BHPian
 
unknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 429
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Hi guys,

still unable to proper fix the lock of the plastic parts, have talked with seller.

here's how it looks -
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest-vw.jpg  


Last edited by unknown : 9th August 2014 at 20:06.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014, 15:56   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 70
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

The armrest arrived today via FedEx which was shipped on 12th. Tried to do it via DIY way, but fell short of the washer and the long fasteners. Went to a near by car accessories shop at WOC Road and got it done for 100 bucks

With me being on a shorter side and seats not pushed back to the full, the armrest feels short by few cms, but nothing major.

Total Damage - 7k.

Thanks to Gannu
Kanasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 05:27   #26
blr
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 72
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Hi Kanasu,

Which armrest did you buy? The Polo specific or the GTI one with the cup holder? And would you mind sharing the name of the accessories shop on WOC?

Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
The armrest arrived today via FedEx which was shipped on 12th. Tried to do it via DIY way, but fell short of the washer and the long fasteners. Went to a near by car accessories shop at WOC Road and got it done for 100 bucks

With me being on a shorter side and seats not pushed back to the full, the armrest feels short by few cms, but nothing major.

Total Damage - 7k.

Thanks to Gannu
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 11:15   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 70
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
Hi Kanasu,

Which armrest did you buy? The Polo specific or the GTI one with the cup holder? And would you mind sharing the name of the accessories shop on WOC?

Thanks!
The Polo specific. I didn't think spending thousands more on a mere cup holder was worth it. I don't remember the name exactly but its just before the Variar Barkery signal when coming from Vijayanagara side. Its on the left side.
Kanasu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 09:00   #28
BHPian
 
KevinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 104
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Just got delivery of my armrest! Not really up to a DIY this weekend, hectic work week.

Anyone suggest a place who will install it for me around HSR?
KevinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 10:59   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 70
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Just got delivery of my armrest! Not really up to a DIY this weekend, hectic work week.

Anyone suggest a place who will install it for me around HSR?
Any auto shop will be able to do it. All thats required is a long fastener and a washer.
Kanasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 11:46   #30
BHPian
 
KevinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 104
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
Any auto shop will be able to do it. All thats required is a long fastener and a washer.
Thanks mate, got it done on Saturday in Koramangala!
KevinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo DIY: Installing the OEM sharkfin antenna Gannu_1 DIY - Do it yourself 44 11th September 2017 21:03
DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest Randhawa DIY - Do it yourself 59 28th October 2016 18:04
DIY : Etios Front Center Armrest raghuvir DIY - Do it yourself 12 7th March 2013 12:58
Adding a Front Armrest luvjascha Modifications & Accessories 1 26th March 2008 07:52
Front seat armrest for Palio himanshugoswami Modifications & Accessories 35 24th September 2007 11:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks